Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Playing At a Theater Near You

+124
themis
xyzzy
weathergal
PirateCatarina
The Glen
The Dude
filwdork
aninnocent
katbeth
salamandersam
wenchsenior
CaroJC
rivki8699
emrie
PineappleGirl
Kookla
vwlphb
Matinee
Grainne Mhaol
Soleil
Arabella
blooey
ulkis
Skyblade
sunni94
schwa
Agent Sculder
Swarley
Rhilin
Escape
puddingcup
jstilwe
Paris, Texas
Jordan Baker
bbridges
Algae
Sheli
CherryFlame
punzy
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
jensa
Wilhelmina
Jude
Decca
tchaikca
Poubelle
draco vulgaris
Miss Moneypenny
chibimanda
Dachelle
Raksha
easybreezy
mandalaya
BreezyK
Bad Username
eco
FiggyPudding
Shalamar
SarahJanet
Fiammetta
Coneycat
katesti
Luthien
Jamie
Brainchild
QueenSix
BrightEyes
killershrew
darthtall
slmader
dionneshea
bookworm
mayram
Morning Angel
Menshevixen
MaddyCat
harvey the penguin
eventide82
epudom
Binky
truecrystal
curryalley
Auroura76
Crackie
Cynara
inversed
MtOlivePickles
Snarryfan
ActonBell
tothemax
swsa
sagitare
Gillian
Case
big chicken
Unlucky Bear
alexdegenhardt
biakbiak
mokey75
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
Jessica
Instant Monkeys
naughty zoot
blixie
molliewollie
Red Wolf
whatthedeuce
Cutebutpsycho
Kiran
nikita
jcpdiesel21
Ceci
TiffanyNichelle
Carrie Ann
Corellderaan
jaraga
MLIS
Gilraen
RiverThames
queenofdenile
Putli Bai
laddical
128 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 31 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  TiffanyNichelle Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Finally caught American Hustle tonight and it was just meh. I much preferred Silver Linings Playbook. It didn't help that I was already tired when I went to see it but I kept wanting to go to sleep. The
Spoiler:
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 31 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  Grainne Mhaol Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:17 pm

The Lego Movie was so good. I laughed like a loon, probably more than anyone in the theatre. When the Millennium Falcon turned up, I just lost it. I can honestly say that that thirty seconds or whatever was better than all three prequel films put together. Insanely good.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:28 am

I plan to spend some time tomorrow screaming "SPACESHIP!" in my students' faces over and over again. God, that movie was way better than it had any right to be.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:48 pm

The Wind Rises was as sweet and thoughtful as any Miyazaki film. It felt very long though. My husband says it's one of his favorite Miyazaki films of all time, because it really captured what it's like to be an engineer. As I am not science-minded, I wouldn't say it's in my top 3, but I did enjoy it very much.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:20 am

Took Plankton to see The LEGO Movie on Friday night and it was everything you guys said it would be. What a fun movie.

My favorite detail was the Astronaut's cracked helmet. I loved that they remembered that detail.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:57 pm

Saw The Grand Budapest Hotel at the weekend. It was very funny and quite violent. Ralph Fiennes was good enough that I no longer feel the residual taint of The English Patient. (I hated that film very much, obviously.)

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:24 pm

I'm going to see Monuments Men tomorrow. Just on the off-chance, is there any post-credits scene?

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:58 pm

300: Rise of an Empire is exceedingly stupid, exceedingly greenscreened, and exceedingly awesomely costumed. Eva Green steals the show from Discount Russell Crowe, and then in the last 30 seconds Lena Headey steals it right back. I'm pretty sure the working title was 300: A Lannister Always Pays Her Debts.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:07 pm

I saw Veronica Mars today and I loved it!  The only theater in my city that's playing it is downtown and I completely forgot they were having the big St. Patrick's Day Parade today.  So my parents and I drag ourselves downtown (where we never go normally, so we're shaky on directions anyway) and end up getting all twisted around trying to find a parking garage and trying to avoid all the road closures for the parade.  But we finally found one and had to walk, like, 6 blocks to the theater.  We barely made it before the previews were done showing, but I'm so happy we managed.  

It was so good!  It was a good mystery and I loved Veronica's arc.  I also loved all the cameos and in-jokes.  

Big spoilers for the main mystery:

I loved how they tied everything up pretty well, but still set everything up for there to be plenty of story left to explore in the books coming up.  I'm so happy and I can't wait for the books to come out.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:02 pm

I caught Divergent this weekend. I never read any of the books and I was able to follow along fine. It was ok. Not mindblowing and I snarked on a few moments with a friend afterwards but I didn't hate it.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:51 pm

I loved Muppets Most Wanted. Danny Trejo singing "God I Hope I Get It" from A Chorus Line was worth the price of admission alone.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:36 pm

I had no interest in seeing Divergent until my sister told me the main guy is Pamuk from Downton Abbey. Say WHAT??? I don't see it at all, but IMDb says it's true, so I need to see for myself. But probably in the dollar theater.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Snarryfan wrote:I loved Muppets Most Wanted. Danny Trejo singing "God I Hope I Get It" from A Chorus Line was worth the price of admission alone.
Agreed. I also want Constantin to be in every Muppet movie. I just about died every time he opened his mouth.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:27 am

Guys, I don't even know, I went to see Sabotage, ugh WHY. Because 24 hours of constant driving rain makes me make bad decisions, apparently.  The plot is murky and inconsistent, every other word is fuck, and there are A LOT of heads blown off in a disturbingly realistic manner. The bizarre cherry on top of that sundae of bleh is genuinely good acting from the whole cast, especially from Ahnuld, Olivia Williams and Mireille Enos. (Side note: Bechdel test pass, and the two women are actually the most fully written characters. I KNOW.) There is a tense, character-driven, brilliant, bleak-as-hell action movie in there screaming to get out, and it doesn't make it. You get lots of shots of entrails, though, as a consolation prize.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:31 pm

Snarryfan wrote:I loved Muppets Most Wanted. Danny Trejo singing "God I Hope I Get It" from A Chorus Line was worth the price of admission alone.
That's pretty much what I've been telling everyone who's thinking of going to see it. I also loved Tina Fey's line, "Good night, Danny Trejo" - the fact she used his name slayed me (I don't think his character actually had a name but still, it was really funny. I was hoping he'd respond with "Good night, Tina Fey", heh).

And agreed about Constantine. I'd love for him to be a recurring character in subsequent movies.

Constantine: My name will go down as the greatest thief of all time!
Dominic Badguy: You mean our names, right?
Constantine: Of course. My name first, then spacebar, spacebar, spacebar... your name.
Hee! Loved that bit.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:15 pm

I also loved how many unhighlighted cameos there were. Like James McAvoy as the UPS delivery guy who brings the big CIA badge - I only caught that one because I noticed his ridiculously blue eyes as he turned.

This seems like one of those who is in town/who is on the lot today, pull them in for a shot movies. It's great. (But not as great as "Good night, Danny Trejo." That was one of the biggest laughs in my theater.)

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:54 am

I had no interest in seeing Divergent until my sister told me the main guy is Pamuk from Downton Abbey. Say WHAT??? I don't see it at all, but IMDb says it's true, so I need to see for myself. But probably in the dollar theater.

I didn't know he was going to be in it either, and didn't even recognize him during the film, but the first thing I said to my friend as the credits rolled was "the male lead worked for me." And he did as Pamuk too, so he is consistent in his working for me, even looking quite different from part to part.
mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:04 am

Theo James is definitely the best thing in that movie. That and
Spoiler:

I don't know what kind of crack the 76% positive reviewers on RT are smoking; Noah is a ponderous, disjointed, absurd, and boring shitshow.  Case in point:
Spoiler:
It's all downhill from there. And all the costumes look like they're from Anthropologie. It literally looks, multiple times, like they're wearing jeans.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Cynara wrote:I don't know what kind of crack the 76% positive reviewers on RT are smoking; Noah is a ponderous, disjointed, absurd, and boring shitshow.  Case in point:
Spoiler:
It's all downhill from there. And all the costumes look like they're from Anthropologie. It literally looks, multiple times, like they're wearing jeans.

I know!  I'll admit, I wasn't that interested in this movie -  I saw it because someone else wanted to see it - but still, given the epic quality to the story, I didn't think it'd be THAT boring.  Darren Aronofsky's movies are a lot of things, things I sometimes don't care for, but boring they are not.  The cinematography was nice & the acting was quite good though Emma Watson
Spoiler:
 The whole thing just felt like it dragged on terribly.
Spoiler:
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:40 am

Went to see The Raid 2; it's almost 3 hours long, and they spend a good part of the first third establishing "plot," but really there's lots of the sort of action that makes the audience groan aloud in sympathy. Definitely a worthy sequel, as far as action movies go.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Sat May 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Saw Godzilla, thinking it would be a piece of brainless action schlock, but ended up enjoying the hell out of it. The human characters were pretty nondescript, including a sleepwalking Ken Watanabe, but my god, if I didn't love Godzilla. That thing was magnificent, every time it came onscreen I wanted to cheer.

The total lack of cynicism in the story and characters reminded me a bit of Pacific Rim, but unlike that film, I didn't suffer from battle fatigue.
It dragged a bit in the beginning, but avoided burning out early by not showing too much. The director kept teasing us with little glimpses of the beast, so when we finally see it in all its glory, it's all the more awesome.

It also wasn't as goofy as Pacific Rim, and was perhaps a bit too dour for its own good in places, but that Godzilla, man. Couldn't get enough of it.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Corellderaan Tue May 20, 2014 9:35 am

Just got back from seeing Neighbors, or Bad Neighbours as it's called here in Aus, just in case we all confuse it with the soap opera. And I'm clearly 12 years old, because I don't think I've cackled that loud in a cinema in ages. Like it was an embarrassing amount of laughter.

Corellderaan

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Tue May 20, 2014 9:34 pm

My biggest issue with that movie is that I just cannot take Zac Efron seriously as any kind of threat.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Thu May 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Godzilla was pretty stupid and a waste of a lot of good actors, but the effects were great, and honestly, the worst thing about it was Aaron Taylor-Johnson. He might actually have anti-charisma.  An actual random dude off the street might have done a better job.

Neighbors was unexpectedly hilarious.  If nothing else, it confirmed for me that Dave is the superior Franco.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Mon May 26, 2014 12:32 am

Man I thought Godzilla was awful. So. Much. Explaining. Instead of just getting to it and letting the fights happen. The effects were great, but I was so checked out by the time the interesting stuff happened, it almost didn't matter. The directing was crap as was the "acting" which was really a bunch of empty reaction shots or "pensive" concerned shots. The trailer was so good but the movie? Not so much.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next