Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celebrities and the Law

+96
BrightEyes
megageek
truecrystal
wenchsenior
vwlphb
00redsvt
Lily Rose
jstilwe
mandalaya
bbridges
shanndee
blooey
RubyTuesday
Raised by wolves
PrincessCleo
Shadowlass
Putli Bai
punkysdilemma
emrie
choubetcha
mayram
QueenSix
Grainne Mhaol
Melk
mialoubug
slmader
Coneycat
big chicken
Gallifrey Girl
TiffanyNichelle
puddingcup
Morning Angel
gannetguts
Instant Monkeys
Matinee
queenofdenile
epudom
salamandersam
oxymoron
Genevieve
Never Enough
Cynara
dionneshea
Carrie Ann
mokey75
filwdork
Swarley
The Glen
chibimanda
Arabella
Snarryfan
mrinsouciance
Escape
Skyblade
Francie Nolan
Miss Moneypenny
Crowbridge
CherryFlame
Red Wolf
Raksha
whatthedeuce
punzy
dreago
LadyGayle
Binky
bookworm
inversed
dinahmoe
eventide82
Cutebutpsycho
Case
themis
Poubelle
sagitare
biakbiak
ActonBell
Wildog27
lisa
laddical
tothemax
Decca
Eris Rising
nikita
Unlucky Bear
naughty zoot
blixie
Kiran
caltrask55
Jude
swsa
year of the cat
jcpdiesel21
katesti
particle_person
xyzzy
The Dude
100 posters

Page 28 of 28 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28

Go down

Celebrities and the Law - Page 28 Empty Re: Celebrities and the Law

Post  Tabby Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 am

I'm kind of surprised that the Harvey Weinstein stuff is finally hitting the regular news (they were even talking about it on NPR last evening). The celebrity blogs/message boards (yay, Snarkfest!) have talked about it for years, but I figured the guy was Teflon.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:46 am

Tabby wrote:I'm kind of surprised that the Harvey Weinstein stuff is finally hitting the regular news (they were even talking about it on NPR last evening). The celebrity blogs/message boards (yay, Snarkfest!) have talked about it for years, but I figured the guy was Teflon.  

I know, right? Every time there is a new 'revelation', I keep commenting to DH about how surprised I am that everyone is acting shocked. EVERYONE KNOWS THIS AND HAS KNOWN FOR FIFTEEN YEARS AT LEAST. Why is this suddenly a story now? Something must have happened to make Weinstein professionally vulnerable, so that suddenly the personal stuff can stick. I have no idea what, though.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Ronan Farrow just published a meticulously researched and documented article about HW in the New Yorker, which he'd been working on for the better part of a year. Ronan has strong feelings about sexual abuse and harassment and was never going to back down from the story, unlike the NYT did, 10 years ago.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:57 am

I am following this like glue. My biggest takeaway (beyond the sexual abuse) is the instantaneous righteous indignation of people who think HW could have been stopped. Shaming celebs, or worse, victims of his abuse for not speaking up is appalling to me. There was literally no one who could take him down. He was the Pope of his world.
There was no voice, no actor, nothing that could bring him down as long as he was the one who could distribute the content worldwide. The only thing that could have stopped him was unity but how would that have worked? "Sure, I got a $10 million deal with Miramax but I just feel so strongly about people who aren't making me money, I just can't accept it? That's not how it works anywhere.

I think the turning point of all of this is very simply explained by nature. When penguins need to feed, they huddle at the edge of an iceberg. They don't know if there's a predator in the waters so no one wants to be the first penguin in. They crowd and jostle each other until one unfortunate drops. If that one doesn't get eaten they jump in. I'm seeing similarities here.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:41 pm

wenchsenior wrote:
Tabby wrote:I'm kind of surprised that the Harvey Weinstein stuff is finally hitting the regular news (they were even talking about it on NPR last evening). The celebrity blogs/message boards (yay, Snarkfest!) have talked about it for years, but I figured the guy was Teflon.  

I know, right?  Every time there is a new 'revelation', I keep commenting to DH about how surprised I am that everyone is acting shocked.  EVERYONE KNOWS THIS AND HAS KNOWN FOR FIFTEEN YEARS AT LEAST.  Why is this suddenly a story now? Something must have happened to make Weinstein professionally vulnerable, so that suddenly the personal stuff can stick. I have no idea what, though.

I was talking to my colleagues at work and they had no idea. I mentioned Rene Zellweger, and a colleague was like "NOOOO I LIKE HER." Which kind of made me mad because don't blame her. BLAME HIM.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 28 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28