Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Works of V.C. Andrews

+15
Kiran
choubetcha
LadyGayle
particle_person
Fraoch
Tabby
Matinee
mayram
blixie
mokey75
Evil Evelyn
big chicken
ActonBell
swsa
Crowbridge
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Works of V.C. Andrews Empty The Works of V.C. Andrews

Post  Crowbridge Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:59 pm

I enjoyed reading this thread at the old Snarkfest, so I thought I'd start it up again. A couple of months ago, I tried reading If There Be Thorns just to finish the Dollanganger series, but I could not get through it. Bart Jr.'s narration was impossible to read- it was too flat, or something. Also, I felt like punching Cathy, but that's really nothing new.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

The Works of V.C. Andrews Empty Re: The Works of V.C. Andrews

Post  swsa Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Oh my.

I like to believe they've been watching the furor over Fifty Shades and such, and were like, "oh yeah, we can STILL top that."
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:40 pm

I wish I could say that I am not legitimately excited for this, but I totally am. I would love to see a movie version that's as completely deranged and as messed up as the book.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:45 pm

The theatrical release is available on YouTube in all its wacked out glory.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Evelyn Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Ellen Burstyn would make the perfect Olivia Foxworth. Heather Graham would be a good Corinne, too. I'd say that's pretty good casting.

Evil Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:18 pm

Seriously,that is genius casting.
Also, Flowers in the Attic is currently $1.99 for Kindle. Not that I just bought it or anything, ahem.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Why is it always the Dollangers getting the movie treatment. When will I get MY TROY?!

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Oh man, I'm excited for this too.

Actually, I would super love a Flowers in the Attic/Petals on the Wind mash-up with the whole FITA story and then the awesome scene of Cathy's revenge at Corrine and Bart's Christmas party years later. They could skip over a lot of the POTW storyline and just go right to that scene and I'd be happy.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:57 pm

You know film Troy would never ever be able to live up to our 13-year old selves' expectations. Best leave that be.

I agree though that I would LOVE Petals on the Wind. They could condense the Paul/Julian eras and just get right to Cathy seducing her mom's husband.

I hope they at least leave the Bart/Cathy kiss in the new FITA.

swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:01 am

blixie wrote:Why is it always the Dollangers getting the movie treatment. When will I get MY TROY?!
'

For real! Troy is the best 4-eva and Logan can suck it.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:58 am

Please tell me that I'm not the only one completely squicked out by this cover of FITA.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:07 pm

I can only hope this opens the door for a Lifetime version of My Sweet Audrina. So much INSANITY in that one-off title.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:21 pm

You know film Troy would never ever be able to live up to our 13-year old selves' expectations

True, we'd probably get Penn Bagdley, and I would weep.

I feel like we deserve a 4 hour miniseries for any her odes to incest.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Evelyn Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:55 pm

blixie wrote:I feel like we deserve a 4 hour miniseries for any her odes to incest.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Let the whole Dollanganger saga unfold over the course of a miniseries (stopping with PotW, of course).

Not that I would watch, or anything. *cough*

Evil Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Fraoch wrote:I can only hope this opens the door for a Lifetime version of My Sweet Audrina. So much INSANITY in that one-off title.

YES!!!! The first-and-best-Audrina....

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:58 pm

particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:59 pm

I bought this one back when publishers were all Twilightifying their book covers. I couldn't resist, especially since FITA/POTW are the only 2 in this series I really care about. Much as I enjoy the heaps o' Oedipal issues in Seeds of Yesterday, it's not one I think I'd ever reread.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Interview with Andrew's Editor

RW: So often when people my age talk about the books we loved as teenagers, or books that became phenomena for reasons we can’t understand, we come back to Flowers in the Attic. There’s so much love for that book among women who grew up with the book, and none of us have ever been able to understand how it managed to claw its way into the world…or why we all loved it so much as teenagers.

AP: I can tell you why you loved it so much, because I’ve thought about this a lot. A lot. We did not market it initially to teenagers. I was very young and inexperienced [when I acquired Flowers in the Attic]. I’d only published maybe two or three books at that point—I didn’t know what I was doing. But the book had a real hold on me. I found myself talking about it to anyone who would listen. Later, when I analyzed why this had become such a thing [for teenagers], I realized that it’s a metaphor for exactly the state teenagers are in. They’re imprisoned by their parents, but they want freedom. So the book plays right into that duality that every teenager deals with, where they want to be independent and live their lives independently, but they’re under someone else’s thumb. I think that’s part of it.

The other part is Virginia. I don’t know if you know, but she was in a wheelchair. She had surgery when she was in her teens. Her spine was fused—it didn’t move. From her butt bone to her head, the spine did not move. So it was much more than being in a wheelchair. Much more. She never really had much of a life, so she was stuck in perceptions of the way the world works of a young teenager, because after the age of fifteen, she wasn’t in the world anymore.

There’s other stuff that I’m not sure I’m ready to tell yet.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Yeah, I always felt VCA being paralyzed had a huge impact on the books. There was so much obvious wish fulfillment with these beautiful ballerinas and artists.

But I do think a huge reason they took off was because they became THE scandalous thing to bond with all your friends over. I don't even remember if I owned any of the books or if they just got passed around to me with all the creepiest parts dog-eared.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:11 pm

OMG, y'all. Sally Draper is going to be Cathy. So, they're obviously sticking close to the source material as far as ages go. Wow, this could be really disturbing if they follow it faithfully plot-wise as well.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Evelyn Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:52 pm

What the what what? Kiernan Shipka is a pretty girl, but I really don't see her as Cathy. Cathy is supposed to be like an Aryan princess, and Kiernan doesn't really have that look, despite being blonde and blue-eyed. Also, she seems too smart to play her. Cathy always struck me as something of a dumbass.

Evil Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:57 pm

I thought Cathy was pretty smart. Common sense wise at least. She knew they were fucked and their mother had given up on them 2 years before Chris caught a clue. I actually think Shipka's vibe of seeming wise beyond her years is kind of perfect.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Evelyn Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:11 pm

swsa wrote:I thought Cathy was pretty smart. Common sense wise at least. She knew they were fucked and their mother had given up on them 2 years before Chris caught a clue. I actually think Shipka's vibe of seeming wise beyond her years is kind of perfect.
Maybe you're right. If anything, Shipka will act the hell out of the part and bring a sense of depth to Cathy I might have missed in the books. I'm a big Shipka fan, so they could have done much worse.

Evil Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:10 pm

I really DO need to re-read The Dollanger books. What I remember about Cathy is the way she martyrs her lovelife to placate Chris. "I can't seem to find or keep a good man, guess I'll just make Chris happy and be with him."

I also remember really liking Chris while they were in the attic and then, when they got out he turns into this complete creepy douche (understandable as it may be given the situation). I'll just sit in the background, lurking, with my doctor's bag and my fake plastic smile, and tear Cathy up by kissing her at random moments when I'm gripped with the nostalgia of being imprisoned in an attic and having totally not hot sex with her.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Yeah, Chris was more fucked up by the attic than Cathy ever was. His obsession with her was at least partially an obsession with their mother and he never even tried to find a non-relative to fall in love with. I agree with you that she just basically gave in to him after all her other men were dead and she figured she had no one else.

I wish Bart had lived. Stepfather or not, that was the healthiest relationship she ever had and I think Cathy even says at one point that he was the love of her life.

As for Sally Draper as Cathy, I don't even know what. I think my mind is rejecting the concept.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next