Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The X-Files

+34
dionneshea
bottle
Carrie Ann
Agent Sculder
Grainne Mhaol
laddical
The Dude
Lily Rose
Raksha
CocoaGoddess
jstilwe
UmaOprah
PrincessCleo
wenchsenior
punkysdilemma
year of the cat
swsa
tothemax
QueenSix
Red Wolf
mialoubug
Tabby
gannetguts
big chicken
ariadne
Gallifrey Girl
Menshevixen
Miss Moneypenny
inversed
Morning Angel
Jessica
blixie
Instant Monkeys
Unlucky Bear
38 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The X-Files Empty The X-Files

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:17 am

So a group of friends and I are doing a rewatch of the series on Sunday nights AND IT IS AWESOME.

We're halfway through season 3, which has a lot of our favorites, but also a lot of REALLY BAD ones. I forgot about the one with the quadruple-amputee soldier who is astrally projecting himself and killing people. At one point his commanding officer, who looks just like Ed Harris's Canadian nonunion equivalent, is freaking out about a spooky message on his answering message and he sputters to Mulder, "My phone machine isn't working!" I know he meant "answering machine," but it's so weird and odd to hear. Also, Stanford from Sex and the City is the murderer's lackey, which was weird.

The next episode is the one where Jewel Staite plays a kidnapped girl held in a basement by a total pedophile-looking dude. That town has the most unobservant photo processors, too. The kidnapper is clearly shown pulling the creepy photos of his crying victim tied up in the basement out of an envelope from a professional photo place. Come on, now.

But there are some awesome episodes coming up, so it's not too bleak.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

The X-Files Empty Re: The X-Files

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:32 pm

I remember the beginning of Season 3 as being a real drag. Just full of boring MOTWs (I'm also thinking of 2shy and The List). Sunday-night rewatch party -- what a fun idea!

So I FINALLY got my DVD of the IBG event that took place over the summer, with DD and GA on stage together asking each other questions for charity. I was not disappointed. It was quite fun, if occasionally (endearingly) awkward. Gillian really cannot remember anything at all. David completely missed the message that he was supposed to have prepared questions, so she's there with her little typed-up sheet and he's just winging it. It's still trippy to me to watch them interacting in a like, normal-ish, affectionate way. Chris Carter also shows up a little later and is fairly useless but has a couple of good stories.

You can still order the DVD (this whole thing was to benefit GA's South Africa charity, SA-YES), but there are also a couple of "trailers" up on YouTube. (I don't THINK I posted those at Old Snarkfest. Apologies if I did though.)
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Huh, different strokes I think the beginning of S3 is unbelievably strong. The conclusion of the ABC trilogy, the WTF frenzied hilarity of DPO and the melancholy funny of Clyde Bruckman, and I personally love Oubliette (which is that season's Mulder, He Doth Miss Samantha Much episode), and I thought The List and 2Shy were both super creepy.

Although, as much as I love Piper Maru/Apocrypha as a two parter, I think those episodes irrevocably smashed whatever hope the mytharc had of making sense, by seeming to introduce not only a different political faction of alien, but a different RACE of alien. Also HOW DID KRYCEK GET OUT OF THE SILO?! Of all the hanging chads that one sends me over the edge.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Chris Carter also shows up a little later and is fairly useless

I suspect this is how he was at the XF production offices as well.

THANK YOU I'LL BE HERE ALL WEEK.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Jessica wrote:
Chris Carter also shows up a little later and is fairly useless

I suspect this is how he was at the XF production offices as well.

THANK YOU I'LL BE HERE ALL WEEK.
I would bet shiny American cash that you are correct.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 am

I personally love Oubliette (which is that season's Mulder, He Doth Miss Samantha Much episode), and I thought The List and 2Shy were both super creepy.

We were discussing that episode and thought it was really weird for Scully, because she for real did not give a shit about that case the entire episode. Mulder was all, "hey, I'm trying to solve this tragic kidnapping of a young girl WHICH IS AN ACTUAL THING THAT THE NORMAL FBI DOES" and Scully just not having any of it.

I LOVE 2Shy. Ah, the perils of internet dating in 1995.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:12 am

Double posting after two weeks because since our Sunday Night X-Files Club saw Ryan Reynolds get killed off in the pre-credits scene of "Syzygy," we've had fun shouting out the names of Canadian celebrities when people who vaguely look famous show up. While watching "Piper Maru/Apochrypha" tonight, imagine our surprise when we saw an extra who vaguely looks like Michael Buble turn out to ACTUALLY BE MICHAEL BUBLE. He has an uncredited, unnamed, no-lines role as a sailor who watches his captain be taken over by a black-oil alien. Seriously, it's on his IMdB page and everything.

We also saw "Pusher," one of my all-time favorite episodes, and "Teso dos Bichos," so we could break up the one-two crappiness punch of that and "Hell Money" between weeks.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:25 am

AHHH, TESO DOS BICHOS. An unearthly, terrifying jaguar spirit whose ultimate revenge was at last brought to life in the form of...SOME KITTYCATS!!!!! Who chased Mulder and Scully through an accurately mapped sewer full of doors under the most rat-infested museum in all of Boston (which is saying something), and mostly just meowed crankily, but one attacked Scully, but it's OK because it was a puppet. And also starring a creepy guyyyyyyyyyy who talks like thiiiiiiiiisssssssss. Best episode eveeeeerrrrrrrr.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:37 am

Hee. My cousin and I, who are the only ones in the club who watched the whole series when it originally aired, complained for DAYS how horrible that episode is, and bitched and moaned all night tonight about it. About halfway through the episode, my husband and other friends are like..."This isn't THAT bad; we've seen a lot worse episodes..." and then Scully had her tussle with a vicious cat-puppet and THEN THEY UNDERSTOOD.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:49 am

"Teso dos Bichos" and "Hell Money". Ugh. Some of the serious terribleness of S3, which is otherwise my favourite season.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:39 am

I remember reading that Gillian Anderson has a severe cat allergy, which is why they had to use the puppet. Why they didn't get a puppet that didn't look like it came from the dumpster in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood was never explained.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:21 pm

Hee, the dumpster in Mr. Rogers's Neighborhood sounds like a dark place indeed.

Surely you've all seen the Mulder punching the cat puppet blooper. (The rest of the Teso bloopers start at 6:30. Solemn times while shooting that one, looks like. Heh.)

Hell Money is also super sucky. But at least Pusher is awesome!
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:AHHH, TESO DOS BICHOS. An unearthly, terrifying jaguar spirit whose ultimate revenge was at last brought to life in the form of...SOME KITTYCATS!!!!! Who chased Mulder and Scully through an accurately mapped sewer full of doors under the most rat-infested museum in all of Boston (which is saying something), and mostly just meowed crankily, but one attacked Scully, but it's OK because it was a puppet. And also starring a creepy guyyyyyyyyyy who talks like thiiiiiiiiisssssssss. Best episode eveeeeerrrrrrrr.

We had about a dozen people who would get together to watch XF all through college, and I distinctly remember that episode causing all of us to go, "...really?"
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:09 pm

I kinda love "Teso dos Bichos," mainly because it reminds me of this awesomely hot anthropology professor I had.

I too am rewatching the whole series since it's on Instant and all. And, as always happens with TV shows I watch a second time around, my tastes have changed. For one thing, I find myself wishing Scully and Skinner had gotten together at some point.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:33 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:

Surely you've all seen the Mulder punching the cat puppet blooper.

That was indeed funny, but the best part was that you taught me you can link part way through YouTube videos. I had no idea. I've always linked to the start and then indicated how far into it something was. Thanks!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  ariadne Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:48 pm

I just started a re-watch from the very beginning. I forgot how wonderfully dated the early episodes are - the huge cellphones, the unflattering trouser suits, the 80s hair and fashion well into the 90s. And watching 'Squeeze' - who knew that almost 20 years later Doug Hutchison would be almost as creepy as his screen alter-ego?

ariadne

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:56 pm

I always liked how you can trace the evolution of the cell phone through this show. At one point they had to stop giving Mulder and Scully the latest models because the phones were getting so small they were having trouble showing them on camera.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 pm

I borrowed the dvds from a friend (ooops, I really need to give them back), who only had up to season four. Which I'm ok with stopping at. On rewatch, Tooms still scares me a bit (with GOOD REASON CONSIDERING) and that horrible gargoyle one -- I'm blanking on the episode title right now, but it disturbed me greatly as a 14 year old and still gives me the wiggins. Not to mention Home. Which I find icky and sad.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:11 am

Our X-Files club is almost done with the third season and the newbies were completely traumatized by Queequeg's death-by-sea monster. Or alligator. And I totally forgot Mulder's crack about how that was a really stupid name for a dog.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:27 am

A high-quality version of the Bree Sharp David Duchovny video has finally come to light. Lots and lots of files celebrity cameos. It's nice to finally be able to see them all clearly. I remember I first watched this video on some bootleg tape and didn't even KNOW there were any celebrities in it, it was so fuzzy. Then I noticed the credits at the end and was like "Wait, what?"

That was indeed funny, but the best part was that you taught me you can link part way through YouTube videos. I had no idea. I've always linked to the start and then indicated how far into it something was. Thanks!
Ha, you're welcome! I know, I only recently found that out myself. I'm still sort of suspicious of it, but it seems to work.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:45 am

PBS was showing a 4-part documentary series called "America in Primetime". Each week covered the evolution of a type/category of character on TV in the last 60 years. It was great. This week was the last part about "the crusader" type of character. Gillian Anderson, Chris Carter, and Vince Gilligan were all interviewed and talked about the Mulder and Scully and the show. It made me all warm inside. :)
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:38 am

So, X-Files Club. This week, we finished up season 3 and headed into season 4, where the newbies all agree, Gillian Anderson is so very hot.

We watched:

Wetwired: This episode is was better than I remembered; it's the one where people are going crazy from watching too much TV. Scully is totally just humoring Mulder, and humoring him, and then she goes totally batshit crazy and shoots at Mulder and he has to track her down. There's a scene where the cops find the body of a redheaded woman in the woods and Mulder has to go and see if it's Scully, and you know it's TOTALLY not her, but it's still very affecting. I also loved the part where Mulder figures out he's not being affected by the TV because he's red-green color blind, and holds up his tie as proof.

That episode and the next two, Talitha Cumi/Herrenvolk, inspired a short debate over whether Mrs. Mulder or Mrs. Scully is hotter. A MILF-off, if you will. The other four went for Mrs. Scully, but I think Teena Mulder is a silver fox. Also, the CSM still obviously cared a lot about her, since he forced the Alien Bounty Hunter to cure her, so you know she's a hardcore lady.

Then, we were on to: HOME! My friend's boyfriend says this was his favorite episode so far. I forgot how gross it is.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:Wetwired: This episode is was better than I remembered; it's the one where people are going crazy from watching too much TV.
Yeah, I really like Wetwired! It's one of those that falls under the radar (for me at least) but it really is pretty good. Scully maniacally turning over the hotel room looking for bugs is awesome. And I remember that part where Mulder is going to have to ID Scully's body -- it IS very affecting and I remember holding my breath and feeling terrible for poor Mulder even though, yeah, you really knew it wasn't going to be her. One of those times when DD's flat affect perversely really works -- everything just gets real quiet and you watch him and you can read the emotions just under the surface (see also Memento Mori, especially the "I will be right there" line, and One Breath).

I also loved the part where Mulder figures out he's not being affected by the TV because he's red-green color blind, and holds up his tie as proof.
And thus a million wanks were born! (How did Mulder get into the FBI if he was colorblind? Does he see Scully's hair as grey? Etc. etc.)

Trivia: This episode was written by Mat Beck, the visual FX guy.

That episode and the next two, Talitha Cumi/Herrenvolk, inspired a short debate over whether Mrs. Mulder or Mrs. Scully is hotter. A MILF-off, if you will. The other four went for Mrs. Scully, but I think Teena Mulder is a silver fox.
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE. I have to go with ol' Maggie, despite her tendency to constantly be wearing turtlenecks. I think they did a terrific job casting Mrs. Mulder though -- her eyes look a lot like DD's.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:23 pm

HOME! My friend's boyfriend says this was his favorite episode so far. I forgot how gross it is.

It's so gross/awesome. When I recapped it for TWoP, I was typing it with one hand over my face. It's REALLY gross. I'm always impressed that they managed to get ALL of that past the censors. Although they didn't rerun it ever, right?
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Fox promised they would never air it again. But when FX launched, they hosted a viewer's choice XF marathon one Thanksgiving and guess what was number one? I don't know if Fox has aired it since then.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next