Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctor Who

+44
LadyGayle
salamandersam
Crackie
Rhilin
Melk
Corvus
MichiSichi
snorf
Mulva
mrinsouciance
Author By Night
dday515
Shalamar
big chicken
jensa
lisaslobe
Wilhelmina
Tabby
Pop'n'Fresh
mandalaya
Evil Lincoln
epudom
Snarker
Red Wolf
Genevieve
RiverThames
nazlan
Gallifrey Girl
Putli Bai
punzy
Cutebutpsycho
Scarlettfish
Esseilte
ActonBell
dionneshea
SarahJanet
QueenSix
bbridges
laddical
tothemax
allochthonous
Raksha
Eris Rising
Luthien
48 posters

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

Doctor Who - Page 5 Empty Re: Doctor Who

Post  Red Wolf Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Doctor Who has pretty much always had a woman in her 20's or 30's since the show began, sometimes more than one. Off the top of my head, I can't remember a time when there was just a male comanion. Maybe during the Two Doctors, when Victoria was off doing other stuff, but that's pushing it. If you want diversity, you have to look to the spinoffs.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Going over Wikipedia, I'm seeing a lot of male companions (I think going by there definition, I found perhaps 18 or so?). And just because the spinoffs have diversity doesn't mean the mothership can't also have some too.

Again, I'm not saying that the new companion is gonna be good or bad. I'm just saying I understand the criticisms some people have about the casting.

And damn. I probably would watch for a Gabby Sidibe-esque character.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Can anyone else get into gallifreybase.com? It's been down for me since I tried to look at it this weekend. Maybe it's been down for a while, or maybe it's just me? Goodness knows I think I'm the only one who can't seem to get back into the last Snarkfest.

Would have loved to have been at the big con in Cardiff this weekend.

"Shake Me Down" by Cage the Elephant. Tenth Doctor Version.

"Shake Me Down" by Cage the Elephant. Eleventh Doctor Version.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:08 pm

I probably would watch for a Gabby Sidibe-esque character.

Wouldn't that be awesome? I know the chances of that happening are close to nil, but it would be great.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 pm

That would be awesome. My only complaint about the new companion is echoing everyone else's: it's more of the same. Frankly, I'm getting bored with the usual set-up of Doctor/20-something contemporary female. While the Doctor ran around with young women all the time on the classic show (heck, I love Jo and Sarah Jane, who are considered the quintessential Doctor Who girls), they weren't always young British women from the 20th century. Leela was from another planet and probably the future as well, Victoria was from the 19th century, Zoe was from the 21st century (at least, what the 60s thought the 21st century would be), Romana was a Time Lady, and Nyssa was from another planet. Every so often the show would change it up a bit, and I think the new Who is overdue. Maybe this new companion will turn out to be from another time or place, though I wouldn't bet on it.

There have been some updates, like having a male companion in Rory, but still he's there because he's attached to Amy, not the Doctor. They've only had one true male companion on the new show, Jack, and I wish he had stayed on the flagship show longer. I like the character so much better on DW.

Maybe that's why people loved Donna so much

It's definitely why I loved her! Finally a modern companion who didn't want to jump the Doctor's bones and put him in his place pretty darn quick. I'm sad she didn't win Fandom March Madness this year, but glad she made the final two!

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:44 pm

The origin of the new one is supposedly mysterious, so there's a possibility that we're not getting another Earth girl.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Have we heard anything definite about the new companion, besides who's playing her? Because otherwise I'm going to wait before I start dismissing her out of hand and start making my angry banners.

I'm going to be the odd one out here and say that I've liked the companions so far, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this one.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Can anyone else get into gallifreybase.com?
I read that it's having technical issues, and is down until they can be fixed.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks Red Wolf.

QueenSix, you're not the only one. I've loved all the companions in the new series so far, each for different reasons.

I really like to be spoiler free, but of course it's been impossible not to bump into the news about Amy & Rory leaving, and I was really really sad at the news. I love the dynamic between them all.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:45 am

I hope I didn't give anyone the impression that I haven't liked the companions that we've had so far, because I have. I was just hoping for a little variation from the norm -- I'm sure I will end up liking the new actress once she shows up in the Christmas special.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:03 pm

I have to say, it feels a bit odd to be coming up to Easter and for there to be no new series starting. It's always been doubly exciting, you know, with Easter (eggs) and Doctor Who. Having to wait until Autumn just feels wrong right now! (I'm becoming very set in my ways).

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:50 pm

I've mentioned previously that I'm kinda new to NuWho, having just caught up on it all this last six months or so. I'd been having a great time reading the Who thread at Snarkfest 3.0, as it was a fun way of seeing what fandom thought about episodes as they were airing, and what spoilers/speculation was out there. And then I couldn't get back into SF 3.0, even though everyone seemed to be able to! I was up to about mid 2007, and was sad that I didn't think I'd be able to finish the thread.

And then last night finally finally FINALLY I could! Hallelujah!

So I'm now around 2008. Angela2007 has tickets to DT's Statford productions of Hamlet and LLL. She's flying in from (I believe) Australia. Someone posted that Hamlet has now been confirmed for London, and Angela2007 is pondering booking more tickets. I'm stressing out 5 five years in the future wanting to shout back in time no, don't do it. He's going to hurt his back and miss most of the performances! It's my own personal cliffhanger.

Last night I watched Christopher and His Kind, with Matt Smith. It was the first non-Who thing I've seen MS do, and I thought he was great. Funny to see other Who actors show up - Linsey Duncan from Waters of Mars as his mother, the Dream Lord guy, and Imogen Poots who was in Fright Night with DT was in it too.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:45 am

I caught a few minutes of Jenna Coleman on the Titanic miniseries. She seemed okay from what little I saw of her, very perky.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Thu May 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Some on-set photos of Jenna Louise Coleman filming Doctor Who.

I really can't wait for the show to start up again. I miss having new Doctor Who adventures.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu May 31, 2012 7:39 pm

You could always read up on that time the TARDIS parked on the Enterprise holodeck and the Doctor, Amy, and Rory thought it was 1940s San Francisco.

I'm undecided on the art in general, but the set up of the last page...
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 pm

I get the comics that retell the original Star Trek series episodes with the new Star Trek cast in my pull list (which vary in quality), so the comic store tucked this crossover into my file this week. I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I didn't watch Next Generation so I'm not sure if I'll get all the in-jokes. I like the artwork so far, though it takes getting used to.

(Hee hee, when I saw laddical's name on this thread, I knew he must have seen the Next Generation comics!)

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu May 31, 2012 8:08 pm

Hey, I've posted in this thread plenty of times in a non-Trek capacity! But... yes.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:50 am

Mrs. Peel to appear on Doctor Who. I don't know much about Diana Rigg's daughter Rachel, but I just looked her up on IMDB and I see she was in Snow White and the Huntsman, so I've at least seen here there. They're appearing together in the episode as mother and daughter.

It's summertime, which means lots of driving for me, which means Big Finish audios! I have just finished listening to my third Fourth Doctor adventure, and they're pretty darn good. Tom's voice is still good for being 78, though he does sound somewhat older. All the classic doctors do on their audios, though. Louise Jameson still sounds like Leela despite being in her sixties. I found the first one, Destination: Nerva to be a little slow-starting, but things picked up a lot with The Renaissance Man, which had an awesome Doctor Who-ish plot involving the villain ripping knowledge right out of experts' heads and storing it in his living museum, so you can imagine what a jackpot the Doctor seems when he arrives. And The Wrath of the Iceni was amazing: The Doctor and Leela land in the middle of Boudicca's rebellion. My only complaint is that all these audios are only two-parters, instead of the more common four-parters. I wish there had been more with the Boudicca story: Leela meets Boudicca was such a great idea I wanted to spend more time with them.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:46 am

Hope the double post is okay as it's been awhile. Mary Tamm, aka Romana I, companion to the Fourth Doctor, has passed away. This is getting depressing: there's only two living Fourth Doctor companions left (I don't really count Adric, Tegan, and Nyssa as Fourth Doctor, they spent most of their time with the Fifth). I liked Tamm's Romana, and next year there's a series of audios with her and Baker coming from Big Finish. A dream of mine is to have Romana reappear on the new show--if the Master could, she could! No more Doctor Who people are allowed to die for awhile, okay universe?

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Anyone else watching Pond Life? I think the punch of the third is my favorite. Only 2 days until season 7!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:36 pm

The third one was definitely the highlight... until the fourth one rolled around. "I feel so *guilty*." "Just eat your breakfast."
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:14 pm

I've spent the last two weeks mainlining Series 5 and 6, so for the first time ever I'll be watching Doctor Who "live", as it were, actually following it as it broadcasts. Not sure I like the idea, honestly. I've been spoiled by DVDs for so long. However, I have to say that I'm so glad I finally caught up, because Matt Smith is a wonderful Doctor. I'd heard mixed reviews but he reminds me so much of the classic Doctors, especially the Fourth and Second, that I'm just eating up his performance. It is unfortunate that he is, imo, the Colin Baker of New Who: a good Doctor plagued by bad stories. I really didn't like Series 6; there are few episodes I'd ever watch again. Series 5 was okay, for the most part. Of course, Series 6 had the episode "Closing Time", and I can forgive a whole season of wtf for that one fantastic episode. I hope Craig, Sophie, and Stormageddon return in Series 7, even just for a cameo. They're a heck of a lot more interesting than River Song, whose storyline I hope to goodness wraps up fast this season. It's not that I hate her, I just feel like this story's dragged out too long.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:53 am

Re: "Pond Life" 5 - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank glob we only have a day to wait for some kind of resolution.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:44 pm

Hello tonal shift! My response was along the WTF! line.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:52 pm

Yes, what the hell was that? Can't wait until tomorrow; god, I've missed this show.
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum