Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Star Wars Saga

+38
Gillian
naughty zoot
bookworm
QueenSix
Agent Sculder
Fraoch
Grainne Mhaol
Eris Rising
blixie
The Glen
Count_Bloodcount
ActonBell
Jamie
Binky
Putli Bai
Poubelle
Unlucky Bear
inversed
ulkis
Matinee
RiverThames
Melk
Paris, Texas
sagitare
Case
particle_person
katbeth
xyzzy
vwlphb
big chicken
Carrie Ann
punzy
DarkSpork
Luthien
Wildog27
laddical
Red Wolf
The Dude
42 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Star Wars Saga - Page 8 Empty Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  big chicken Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:42 pm

bookworm wrote:Anyone else think "Keira Knightly?" every time Rey was on screen?

When I first say Ridley's picture after she was announced as part of the cast, I thought the article had accidentally put up a picture of Natalie Portman instead.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Sadly she has similar voice, mannerisms, and facial expressions to Kiera Knightly. I spent the whole movie wondering if she had a sister.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:08 pm

So, maybe Rey is the granddaughter of Padme's decoy, who must have been, like, her cousin or something, so Rey is Luke's second-cousin-once-removed.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:19 pm

ulkis wrote:
Well, to be fair, there were
Spoiler:

I read something that theorized that
Spoiler:

I hope that
Spoiler:

I thought all the newcomers were awesome, especially Adam Driver.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:51 pm

I went in warily, having been disappointed before, but I absolutely loved it. Such a breath of fresh air with an ethnically and gender diverse cast. I especially loved the character of Maz and I really hope she's in the next films.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:56 pm

I've seen each Star Wars movie exactly once. I respect it's place in pop culture, but I have no emotional attachment to it. That being said, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. The characters were a ton of fun, which was NOT the case with any of the prequels, so I'm on board for future movies.

My only request for future movies is MORE POE. My god, that is a handsome, charismatic man. That's how Han and Leia's kid should have turned out!

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:47 am

Every body is bitching about call-backs to ANH- but to be honest, I saw more Raiders scenes than Star Wars.
:
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:30 pm

edit.

Last edited by ulkis on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:59 pm

I saw this yesterday with a friend-- first Star Wars movie I've seen since Empire, although I've seen Star Wars about a dozen times over the years. (It's my favourite space-western. My friend is a big fan, and at one point she asked me whether I'd seen A New Hope-- I double-clutched for a second before I realized which movie she meant.)

(I should remark, I saw Star Wars at the age of ten, in the theatre, and was just about at the point where I could appreciate that Han Solo was fine. So my love of the original movie had several dimensions!)

I really, really liked it, especially Finn/Rey's relationship: both those actors were frigging precious. And now I better go to spoiler cuts for anything else I might say:

My spoilery thoughts, let me show you them:

Overall, I found the movie did a good job capturing the spirit of the first movie, playful and likable and actually presenting me with characters I wanted to root for, rather than placeholders for plot. I want to see more of Rey and Finn and everyone, which isn't a feeling I've had about this franchise in a very long time. So, well done, I say.

Last edited by Coneycat on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:24 pm

I do have a bit of an issue with Domnhall Gleeson being REALLY young to be "General" Hux (though the SW Universe passes around the title "General" around like it's candy on Halloween), but it does seem like the whole First Order is really young. I wonder if that's a textual choice that means something, or if it's just casting a New Generation and it's something of an oversight. But no one in the First Order has that Grand Moff Tarkin gravitas.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:49 pm

RiverThames wrote:I do have a bit of an issue with Domnhall Gleeson being REALLY young to be "General" Hux (though the SW Universe passes around the title "General" around like it's candy on Halloween), but it does seem like the whole First Order is really young.   I wonder if that's a textual choice that means something, or if it's just casting a New Generation and it's something of an oversight.  But no one in the First Order has that Grand Moff Tarkin gravitas.

I thought the same thing about Gleeson's age, and wondered whether there had been battlefield promotions or something like that. Which would indicate the First Order is maybe not doing quite as well, militarily speaking, as they might want us to believe.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:49 pm

He's 32 apparently. I honestly thought he was only on his late twenties. So maybe he was fast tracked as a general? Or they were all very young when they got caught up in The First Order ideology so have been around since the beginning which is why Hux got promoted so quickly and explains why nobody is like Grand Moff Tarkin because they haven't been in it that long. Because if you remember the ending of Revenge of the Sith (and lord knows, we all do) Tarkin is standing with the newly unveiled Darth Vader and Palpatine. Which might make Tarkin the Hux of that particular storyline. I dunno, I have a lot of thoughts about Star Wars it seems.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:47 am

I can't stop listening to the soundtrack, especially "The Jedi Steps and Finale". It's so lovely and epic.

I'm really glad that instead of being a stone-cold badass, Kylo Ren
Spoiler:

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:44 pm

I am also loving the soundtrack. Got it on repeat at work. My husband busted me humming a bit of "The Scavenger" while making dinner tonight.

We took my dad to see it this weekend. (He's been trying for 30 years to get my mom into Star Wars, but to no avail.) There were three little kids behind us at the theater dressed as Captain Phasma, Kylo Ren, and a stormtrooper. SO CUTE OMG. As we were walking out after we told them they were really scary up on the big screen and Phasma gave us all hugs. I DIE.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:03 am

edit.

Last edited by ulkis on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:01 pm

Yeah, but Ben's the villain, and Rey appears to be the main protagonist. If she is not a Skywalker or Solo, then the Skywalker family dies with Ben when he's taken down (even if he has a redemption before death like Vader, I don't see him going on to have a life and family after having killed his own father), and the legacy ends not in the hope of Luke and Leia and their goodness, but...emo Kylo Ren.

I prefer her to be Leia and Han's daughter so they can have produced something good and because sister vs. brother holds more interest to me than cousins, but if she isn't theirs or Luke's then I don't even see the point.

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:18 pm

edit.

Last edited by ulkis on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Oh. Yeah, that is ridiculous. Heh.

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:49 pm

SNeaker wrote:I prefer her to be Leia and Han's daughter so they can have produced something good and because sister vs. brother holds more interest to me than cousins, but if she isn't theirs or Luke's then I don't even see the point.
I kept thinking that too, because I grew up reading the Star Wars Expanded Universe and Jaina Solo was always my favorite. So I might be a bit biased. But it would be pretty weird if she was his sister and nobody mentioned anything even hinting at it in the movie.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:20 am

edit.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Rey is Luke and Leia's incest dumpster baby.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:52 pm

edit.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:37 pm

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:52 am

edit.

Last edited by ulkis on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:04 am

Okay, let's talk about the side movies. Anthologies, or whatever they're calling them today. Rogue One was IMO very good. Han Solo is up next. I have very little interest in his past, and I don't want it to be too continuity-heavy. Boba Fett and Obi-Wan are rumoured to be in the planning stage. Some people think that Vader needs his own movie. Why? In one form or another, he's already been in seven movies, three cartoon series, and a bunch of comics. What more is there to say about him? Oh, let's show him killing people and making one-liners. How is that different from infinite action comedies? I just feel that we should give the spotlight to someone less known. Rogue One introduced a whole bunch of new characters, and it did pretty well.

That said, I have a scene I want to see, though I know it'll never happen. A flash sideways force vision. What could have been. No more than a minute or two. No words. Anakin and Padme having just a regular domestic life. We'd see young Luke, Leia, and just to twist the knife, a third child. I don't know how this could come about, but that's what I'd do given the chance.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum