Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

+80
Jude
Corellderaan
dionneshea
bookworm
rivki8699
Bad Username
ActonBell
inversed
PrincessCleo
Esseilte
laurelin_kit
draco vulgaris
dinahmoe
biakbiak
Sheli
year of the cat
Melk
chibimanda
mrinsouciance
blooey
Carrie Ann
big chicken
Grainne Mhaol
salamandersam
puddingcup
Cutebutpsycho
nikita
themis
sagitare
Agent Sculder
Count_Bloodcount
Coneycat
Wilhelmina
Skyblade
laddical
Crowbridge
Case
easybreezy
MaddyCat
naughty zoot
sloo
harvey the penguin
oxymoron
tothemax
Kookla
Luthien
mokey75
Binky
The Glen
QueenSix
Lis
ulkis
Raksha
Francie Nolan
Instant Monkeys
mayram
blixie
Matinee
Auroura76
Miss Moneypenny
Eris Rising
RiverThames
Shalamar
katha
caerbannog
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Gallifrey Girl
Putli Bai
swsa
truecrystal
curryalley
Poubelle
Cynara
whatthedeuce
The Dude
jcpdiesel21
Unlucky Bear
TiffanyNichelle
queenofdenile
84 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold - Page 8 Empty Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  The Dude Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:56 am

Eris Rising wrote:I did like Menzel's "Defying Gravity", and I'm a fan of anything that Chenoweth sings.
I guess she's like all sorts of awesome, I almot feel guilty because she works in fields I have zero interest in: Musicals, Aaron Sorkin and Bryan Fuller shows...
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold - Page 8 Empty Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:50 pm

I know this is pretty much sacrilege, but I feel like Ryan Gosling is subtle to the point of being nearly comatose sometimes. He did absolutely nothing for me in The Place Beyond the Pines, which I just saw a few hours ago. I liked everyone else's performances (including Bradley Cooper's, and I often can't stand to look at that dude), but I felt like Ryan was just mumbling and kinda sleepwalking through some scenes. He was very much alive in the bank robbing scenes though, for sure! His voice kept hitting this hilarious screechy note when his character yelled at bank employees.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:32 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I know this is pretty much sacrilege, but I feel like Ryan Gosling is subtle to the point of being nearly comatose sometimes. He did absolutely nothing for me in The Place Beyond the Pines, which I just saw a few hours ago. I liked everyone else's performances (including Bradley Cooper's, and I often can't stand to look at that dude), but I felt like Ryan was just mumbling and kinda sleepwalking through some scenes. He was very much alive in the bank robbing scenes though, for sure! His voice kept hitting this hilarious screechy note when his character yelled at bank employees.
I feel the same way. He never "pops" to me, he's just there.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:49 am

He absolutely captivated me in The Believer when I saw it many years ago, but I guess that's because the character was livelier and more effusive than in stuff like Half Nelson and The Places Beyond the Pines, both of which involve immense subtlety. I know most of his roles are quieter and more haunting, but it translates to me as "not doing much at all." I hate saying that because he clearly takes his roles seriously and probably puts lots of research and thought into his performances, but he just comes across so blandly sometimes.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:27 am

I thought he was great in Lars and the Real Girl, and that's a subtle part. Especially since I had last seen him in Crazy Stupid Love, where he's so different. Those two and Drive are the only Gosling movies I've seen.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:42 am

I hated The Avengers (mostly the hipster douchebag tone of most of the characters, I felt like I was trapped with assholes for two hours) and now, to my deep resentment, I also find myself without any desire at all to see Iron Man III or the next Captain America-- and I had really enjoyed the first movies in both those series. Way to ruin everything, Joss Whedon!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Hipster douchebags? How so?
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:07 pm

laurelin_kit wrote:Hipster douchebags? How so?

The rhythm of the dialogue, mostly. They just sounded like different characters than in the previous movies and they annoyed me.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:34 pm

I thought it was pretty toned down from his usual voice, or rather, his stereotypical voice. Luckily for you, Joss Whedon isn't writing Iron Man 3 or the second Captain America film. He's only on the group movies.
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Shane Black writes a completely different kind of hipster douchebag.

Even if it weren't a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, I'd still be damned excited about the reunion of Robert Downey, Jr., and Shane Black. Only way to make it better would be for Val Kilmer to be in it. Oh, please let there be a Val Kilmer cameo. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was sooooooooooooo good.

"JESUS! Look up the word 'idiot' in the dictionary, know what you'll find?"

"A picture of me?"

"NO. The definition of the word idiot. Which is what you are!"

laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Coneycat wrote:I hated The Avengers (mostly the hipster douchebag tone of most of the characters, I felt like I was trapped with assholes for two hours) and now, to my deep resentment, I also find myself without any desire at all to see Iron Man III or the next Captain America-- and I had really enjoyed the first movies in both those series. Way to ruin everything, Joss Whedon!

Cap 2 has the same writers as the first movie, so I'm kind of baffled as to why you think the voice of the Avengers would effect it.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:10 pm

I had neat to no interest in seeing the first two Iron Man films (and still haven't), but the trailer for this latest one really caught my attention. I don't even really know why, but I actually wanna catch it in theaters.

puddingcup, you've just reminded me to check out Lars and the Real Girl. From the handful of clips I've seen of it, I did think Ryan seemed more present and brought real charm to that performance. I should watch Drive, too. Hell, I need to watch more Gosling movies cuz no matter how he performs, he pretty much always looks gorgeous so I can at least admire his beauty even if his acting sometimes leaves me cold.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:18 am

Miss Moneypenny wrote:
Coneycat wrote:I hated The Avengers (mostly the hipster douchebag tone of most of the characters, I felt like I was trapped with assholes for two hours) and now, to my deep resentment, I also find myself without any desire at all to see Iron Man III or the next Captain America-- and I had really enjoyed the first movies in both those series. Way to ruin everything, Joss Whedon!

Cap 2 has the same writers as the first movie, so I'm kind of baffled as to why you think the voice of the Avengers would effect it.

As I said, the one who was affected was me--my dislike of The Avengers brought my interest in the movies and the characters to a screeching halt, and all my fun, she is ruined. I accept that it isn't reasonable, but unpopular opinions don't have to be reasonable.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:05 am

My unpopular opinion is that I still hate Gwyneth and Pepper Potts and haven't seen IM2 and won't see IM3 because of her. Her screentime in The Avengers is all I can handle. Her tight smiled, perfectionistic, superior, condescending routine is so tiresome to me and the worship of the character in both the films and pop culture drives me mad.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 am

swsa, you probably would not want to watch the Avenger's Gwyneth scene with Joss's commentary on, then.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 am

Yeah, I guessed at that just from how the scene was done. "Pepper knows everyone! She knows about Coulson's love life! She knows all of Tony's plans! She's sassy! She's hot!" I won't deny that she'd probably be more palatable to me if someone else was playing her. I know I bring my Gwyneth issues to the table on this one.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 am

puddingcup, you've just reminded me to check out Lars and the Real Girl. From the handful of clips I've seen of it, I did think Ryan seemed more present and brought real charm to that performance. I should watch Drive, too. Hell, I need to watch more Gosling movies cuz no matter how he performs, he pretty much always looks gorgeous so I can at least admire his beauty even if his acting sometimes leaves me cold.

Oh good! I really liked Lars and the Real Girl. What was interesting is how they didn't particularly "uglify" Gosling or anything (except clothes maybe), but he was definitely no stud as Lars, just through his acting. It may be because I am biased, though, because my unpopular opinion is that I don't understand why everyone thinks he's so gorgeous to begin with.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:55 am

I think hes got a great body, and is really sexy and charismatic. But his face is kinda ...not ugly at all. Its just ...its got character. Hes someone who is really helped by the overall package I think. Like great body, style, charisma, put it all together with an unobjectionable face and it works. I mean hes objectively much less attractive than, say Paul Walker. But Paul Walker is boring.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:05 pm

That makes sense, Kiran. So in Lars and the Real Girl, he loses the charisma, they cover up the body, so all he's left with is his "unobjectionable face". He adds a dopey smile though. And whatever happened to Paul Walker, he was so hyped when he first came out. I wonder if he'll eventually be joined by Sam Worthington and Chris Pine.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm not a big fan of Worthington, but he certainly does try to stretch. Or at least do smaller stuff that's more about the performance. The Debt comes to mind, for example.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:12 pm

I'd say he already has been joined by them. He's still got the "Fast" franchise going. Don't know what Worthington's been up to, but Pine only made one or two films in the four years between Treks.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:15 pm

swsa wrote:My unpopular opinion is that I still hate Gwyneth and Pepper Potts and haven't seen IM2 and won't see IM3 because of her. Her screentime in The Avengers is all I can handle. Her tight smiled, perfectionistic, superior, condescending routine is so tiresome to me and the worship of the character in both the films and pop culture drives me mad.

It's funny because the only role I can ever stand Gwyneth in is the Pepper Potts role. That and when she hosts SNL. For some reason I like her in skits. Any other time though...ugh, no thanks.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:19 pm

Worthington is doing action movies. I don't know hes one who I actually don't dislike mainly because I had seen some of his Australian movies that he mad prior to Avatar, and he was excellent in them (Somersault in particular). And I thought he was good in the Debt and Last Night. I even thought he was charismatic and interesting in Avatar and Terminator Salvation. But oy. Those Clash of the Titan movies. Not good. Not good.

I guess thats my unpopular opinion. I find Sam Worthington to be someone who could be a good actor but makes horrible choices. I also like Chris Pine even though he makes awful choices as well. He has charisma and I hope the Jake Ryan reboot does something for him.

The smartest move Paul Walker made was crawling back to the Fast and Furious franchise. At least Vin Diesel has some type of watchability. Watching Paul Walker is like watching extremely attractive dough rise.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Agreed on Pine and Jack Ryan and hoping it's his chance to break out beyond Trek. I keep forgetting that movie's in production. I really like him as Kirk and thought he and Denzel Washington had a nice dynamic in Unstoppable. Of the four guys under discussion, he's the one I prefer.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:38 pm

I love Paul Walker!

Okay, I love Paul Walker because the only thing I've ever seen him in was Eight Below, in which he snorgles Siberian huskies. Which I guess means I actually like watching Siberian huskies in movies, so... never mind.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next