Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fifty Shades of Grey

+67
GoodbyeWithWords
Raised by wolves
Coneycat
blixie
Esseilte
Paris, Texas
ariadne
mayram
Poubelle
chibimanda
snorf
Goddess of Geekdom
Lily Rose
Jessica
Heather
vwlphb
draco vulgaris
Arabella
Raksha
xyzzy
Kiran
easybreezy
jstilwe
Francie Nolan
maxell131313
The Lady of Shalott
puddingcup
blooey
Carrie Ann
Ji Xiang
Instant Monkeys
swsa
Fraoch
naughty zoot
biakbiak
Gallifrey Girl
Gilraen
Renny Sue
inversed
lisalars
rivki8699
Genevieve
Unlucky Bear
PrincessCleo
Cutebutpsycho
Miss Moneypenny
bookworm
TatersPrecious
ActonBell
laurelin_kit
ulkis
laddical
truecrystal
bbridges
Jude
MLIS
Cynara
punzy
Luthien
Crowbridge
Putli Bai
Rhilin
Never Enough
big chicken
Menshevixen
MtOlivePickles
particle_person
71 posters

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Fifty Shades of Grey - Page 6 Empty Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post  Luthien Fri May 25, 2012 9:58 pm

So, Mark has to read the next two now. Because I enjoy watching him suffer, apparently. That video was hilarious, poor Mark. I haven't kept up with his site lately, but the poor, poor guy, if this is what he has to do for charity. I think his face was basically what I must have looked like when I read the Fifty Shades of Suck tumblr.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Fri May 25, 2012 11:33 pm

I have a RL friend who posted last night on her Facebook page, "Guys, should I break down and buy "50 Shades of Grey"? I understand it's poorly written so I'll probably hate it, but everyone else is reading it, and I feel as though maybe I should, too. Help me, guys -- what should I do??"

So of course, I gave my opinion, but within minutes I was outnumbered and outvoted by all her other friends/acquaintances going, "BUY IT!! IT MIGHT BE KIND OF POORLY WRITTEN, BUT YOU MUST READ IT!!!"

I begged her to consider just searching for the fanfic online and not paying for it, but ultimately, I'm guessing I failed. And you know, whatever -- it's her money. But...ugh.

I will say that I'm SO sick of seeing all the "Should X play Christian Grey?" everywhere I turn. I keep hoping the overexposure will eventually make everyone tire of this whole thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Sat May 26, 2012 1:08 am

If you don't have time to watch the whole video, make sure to at least watch everything from 16:30 on. It's deeply amusing.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  easybreezy Sun May 27, 2012 6:57 am

See, here's the weird thing: if Fifty Shades gives us anything, I honestly hope it's there to allow women to embrace their own sexuality and be more kinky. Yes, I get that it's not about 'real' BDSM. Yes, I get that Christian Grey is a controlling asshole, but if women become more sexually confident because they read something they'd like to do and explore it, maybe it's a good thing.

*sigh* Maybe I've become unrealistic and optimistic in my old age.

But I couldn't help laughing the other day, walking with my partner in a store and we saw FSOG being looked at and I whispered to him: "and the only thing I can think of is unwashed butt plugs!

easybreezy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun May 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Call me a cynic but I will be highly highly stunned if 50 Shades of Grey is putting out anything even resembling positive female sexuality.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sun May 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Kiran wrote:Call me a cynic but I will be highly highly stunned if 50 Shades of Grey is putting out anything even resembling positive female sexuality.
I agree with this. Not once in the book does Ana take charge of her own sexuality; it's always Christian's call. BDSM or no, that is a horrible "lesson."

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sun May 27, 2012 6:21 pm

That Mark Reads video is hilarious! It's been such a long time since I read the fanfic, but hearing even small sections of the text brings it alllll back.

I would hope if any woman does get ideas from this book, it's more about techniques, than it is cues on how to behave with a man. I'm still baffled that women think Christian Grey is the ideal guy. To each her own and all that, but...really?

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun May 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Even the technique is shoddy. I mean that tampon thing? THAT WOULD HURT. AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY.

Also that poor maid. That poor fucking maid. Is she afraid of him deporting her or something?
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sun May 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Kiran wrote:Even the technique is shoddy. I mean that tampon thing? THAT WOULD HURT. AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY.
THANK YOU. Seriously, HOW is that supposed to be sexy in any way?!

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sun May 27, 2012 9:00 pm

Kiran wrote:Even the technique is shoddy. I mean that tampon thing? THAT WOULD HURT. AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY.?
I was actually thinking more of female-on-male type techniques rather than male-on-female, because I would never defend in any way anything "Christian" does. Again, I loathe that character. And I'll add that if the author thinks his taking her virginity the way he does is erotic...well, I just deleted what I said, having thought better than to post it.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Sun May 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Mark Reads "Fifty Shades" (via PrincessCleo on Twitter)
I've never seen Mark before, but for some reason his reading of the "I have needs. Bathroom needs." line sent me into hysterics.

God I wish all these women reading FSoG would pick up some Joey Hill or something.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sun May 27, 2012 10:35 pm

My favorite part of that whole video was toward the end when he just sort of succumbs to barely coherent disbelief, then stunned silence. I would pay money for a video series of him reading the entire book.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Karina Smirnoff on 'Fifty Shades': "Friends told me it was a must-read, so I finally gave in and bought it. It's definitely the kind of book that makes you blush, yet it's so well-written."

BWAH-HA-HA!!!

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Someone in the Mad Men forums at TWoP was comparing Don and Megan's relationship to the one in 50 Shades. Somebody make this book go away!

Last edited by Arabella on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:59 pm

Wow. Don is a jerk, but even he is not as obnoxious as Christian Grey.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:22 pm

particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:52 pm

My friend that I talked about earlier, the one who was asking on Facebook if she should buy the book or not? Just ended a post with "Laters, baby!"

Apparently she went with the majority opinion. She bought it, and now she loves it. A LOT. At this point I can only guess that the pages of those books are printed with crack. After all, it worked for Twilight.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Regarding the hardware stores selling out of rope: I don't know anything about the practice of BDSM, but don't you have to learn how to do these things properly with the right equipment, in order not to hurt yourself? Somehow I doubt a kinky romance novel everyone is bandwagoning is the best instruction manual. I hate fads in general, and the way the media is acting like nobody ever heard of BDSM before this book came out is driving me crazy. I have some foolish relatives who have no opinions other than what they get from the TV, and I dread the day they get their hands on this book.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Luthien wrote:Regarding the hardware stores selling out of rope: I don't know anything about the practice of BDSM, but don't you have to learn how to do these things properly with the right equipment, in order not to hurt yourself?

Yes. Yes you do. We'll probably start hearing about deaths and injuries caused by attemps to recreate the book any day now.

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Bret Easton Ellis tweeted that he'd be interested in writing the screenplay. It may have been a joke, but I kind of like it. At least you'd know it would be appropriately fucked up.

The article also mentions there is apparently a rumor that Angelina Jolie was approached to direct it. Pure internet bullshit, but entertaining. Reach for the stars, 50 Shade fans! If you build it, or at least keep saying it on the interwebs, they will come!

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:59 pm

If the movie has the right director and the right casting, it might be good. It can't be as bad as the book, though. It just can't.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:05 am

I think if a movie actually does get made, I think it'll turn out like the Left Behind movies in terms of quality. Those movies aren't good by any stretch of the imagination, but they're still not as godawful as the books.

As for that hardware stores selling out of rope thing: The thought of using the kind of rope we used around the farm for horse-related stuff to tie people up for sexy times makes me cringe! A friend of mine used to work at TwistedMonk making rope specifically for BDSM use and it's very different than regular kinds of rope.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:31 am

I call bullshit on the rope thing. More PR nonsense, I bet.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:52 pm

I continue to be amazed at the PR surrounding this. It's so shameless. Dropping Angelina Jolie's name, despite her reps saying there was no truth to it (and as someone who follows Angelina closely, trust me, her reps do NOT respond to every rumor, so they REALLY wanted it out there that this was fake). That ridiculous story about Ari Emmanuel telling E.L. James that Michelle Obama just LOVED the book. It's kind of insulting.

And now, I guess since ripping off Stephenie Meyers once worked out so well, may as well go for it a second time.

Thinking of rewriting the trilogy from Christian's POV
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:38 pm

If E.L. James is not going to give the world Christian's inner gladiator and numerous descriptions of the intensity of his burning loins*, one of her fans will.

*I figure Anastasia's orgasms read like intestinal issues so Christian's will sound like he's got an STD.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next