Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fifty Shades of Grey

+67
GoodbyeWithWords
Raised by wolves
Coneycat
blixie
Esseilte
Paris, Texas
ariadne
mayram
Poubelle
chibimanda
snorf
Goddess of Geekdom
Lily Rose
Jessica
Heather
vwlphb
draco vulgaris
Arabella
Raksha
xyzzy
Kiran
easybreezy
jstilwe
Francie Nolan
maxell131313
The Lady of Shalott
puddingcup
blooey
Carrie Ann
Ji Xiang
Instant Monkeys
swsa
Fraoch
naughty zoot
biakbiak
Gallifrey Girl
Gilraen
Renny Sue
inversed
lisalars
rivki8699
Genevieve
Unlucky Bear
PrincessCleo
Cutebutpsycho
Miss Moneypenny
bookworm
TatersPrecious
ActonBell
laurelin_kit
ulkis
laddical
truecrystal
bbridges
Jude
MLIS
Cynara
punzy
Luthien
Crowbridge
Putli Bai
Rhilin
Never Enough
big chicken
Menshevixen
MtOlivePickles
particle_person
71 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Fifty Shades of Grey - Page 8 Empty Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post  easybreezy Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Goddess of Geekdom wrote:I started reading the first book and holy moly.........

This is hilariously awful. Not as awful as Twilight, but hilarious in a good way. Ana is an idiot. And a dope.

I got the first chapter or so as a sample for the Kindle. I read it to my SO, and we had to stop every few lines for commentary.

It was the only way it could have happened, otherwise, I would have been pissed off the whole time.

Seriously, there's unreliable narrators, and then there's being totally disingenuous. All the protesting of "I need to study, there was nobody else to interview Christian Grey, my journalist friend couldn't have at least instructed me on how to conduct a professional interview, he's totally hot but I hate his guts so I'm going to think about studying the whole time".

And really...the chick got sick and THAT was her best excuse NOT to interview Grey? She's been thoroughly harassing him for months for an interview and being SICK stops her from doing so? What kind of crap plot contrivance is that?

And the questions from this hard-hitting going-to-be-a-journalist who can talk anyone into doing anything...really?

I mean, I get this was fanfiction, but really?

easybreezy

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:47 pm

I love how Kate is supposed to be this worldly, been-around-the-block older sister type when she's just as stupid as Ana. I also love how Ana talks about her like she has a crush, or something. Someone must have written Ana/Kate fanfic by NOW, right?

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:22 pm

I would, but first I need to finish this high school AU fic where Ana is a plucky orphan and Christian is a vampire.

....What?

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:08 pm

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:05 am

We read this for book club this month (for the lulz, I swear). Everyone pretty much agreed that Christian was a creepy weirdo and if he weren't a gazillionaire, he'd be one of those losers trolling Craigslist that they make Lifetime movies about. I was amused by my friend serving bundles of Twizzlers secures by tiny little plastic zip ties, though. Ew.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:52 pm

The best selling British book of all time?! I think there's a lot of qualifiers at play but the story will spread and continue to play into the ridiculous hype surrounding this series.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:31 pm

They've got to be spinning those numbers some way, because someone named Harry Potter would like to have a chat with Ms. Steele, and maybe use an unforgivable curse or two on Mr. Grey (I think the curses would be forgivable in this case). If James has truly outsold Rowling, I weep for us all. But especially for the country that gave us William Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Lewis Carroll, Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte, Arthur Conan Doyle, J. M. Barrie, C. S. Lewis, and J. R. R. Tolkien. And those are just my favourite British authors; there's hundreds more who've written wonderful books. There really is no accounting for taste, or good publicity.

I came across this parody yesterday. Favourite quote: "If you're a woman, you've read my novel Fifty Shades of Grey, because it's the law." If my high school acquaintances' Facebook status updates are anything to go by, maybe it is. I also loved Fake!James's excitement: "Can you guess what they did next? It!"

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:27 pm

NONONONONONONONO!

I like how the text says "Have any questions?" at the bottom. ALL THE QUESTIONS. ALL OF THEM.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:35 pm

GROSS.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 am

Oh, ew. EW.

I was on Pinterest a few weeks ago and there was this one obnoxious picture I kept seeing people repin that was all like "Wanna bet we'll see an explosion in the birth rate thanks to 50 Shades? Tee hee!" I finally couldn't take it anymore and started replying "Let's just hope these children don't inherit their parents' dreadful taste in literature" every time I saw it come up again. I am an asshole.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:42 am

Raksha wrote:... I finally couldn't take it anymore and started replying "Let's just hope these children don't inherit their parents' dreadful taste in literature" every time I saw it come up again. I am an asshole.

But an asshole with taste! And company!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:53 pm

I was given 50 Shades as a birthday gift, thankfully my step brother had the for sight to give me the receipt as well, so I returned it and bought chocolate. Much nicer to digest.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Did the giver, ah, know anything about the contents? My very-pious very-Jewish maiden aunt once gave me the THIRD book of the "Left Behind" series as a present. I have a feeling she grabbed the first thing she saw, because why would you give anyone the third book in a series, even if it wasn't contrary to everything you've ever believed?
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:03 pm

He meant well, he's not a reader (yeah, I don't understand either). Basically he walked into Target and picked up the first books he saw.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  chibimanda Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Christ. A coworker of mine asked me my opinion on this series about a month or two ago, because I'm considered the most avid reader in my office. I told her as much about it as I could, emphasizing the fact that the characters are horrible, the "plot" is horrible, and that it is actually very poorly written Twilight fanfic that managed to get a publisher. She had been curious about it because all of these other women that she knows have been reading it, and she wanted to know what was up. Well, today she informs me that she read it, and simply couldn't put it down! She just thought it was so sexy, that Christian Grey was God's gift to man, etc. I honestly don't understand people sometimes. My coworker is a very strong minded, take-no-shit kind of person. How is it then that a woman like that could not see how shitty a character Christian Grey and his insufferable girlfriend are? I think that's what bothers me the most about this series. A lot of generally reasonable/levelheaded women are falling all over themselves for this book. Are looks and money so attractive to them that they're willing (even though it's just a book) to just abandon all sense of independence and self respect? Maybe this is so frustrating for me because there are only a few women in my office, and only a few read, and those that do read all share the same fascination for this type of character.
chibimanda
chibimanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:16 pm

This is a really good article that I saw recommended on ONTD of all places:

Why Are Women Devouring Fifty Shades of Grey?

It describes my feelings exactly about the character of Christian Grey, and why I'm horrified that women are elevating him to Perfect Man status.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:22 pm

That article pretty much expresses my own feeling on the subject. This book is horrifying; even worse than the POS that inspired it. I saw something on ONTD the other day that was all "50 Shades would be better as a TV series?" and I wanted to throw someone off a cliff.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:44 am

How would it even work as a TV series? I guess you could show it on premium cable, but HBO generally asks for something resembling plotting and decent characterization.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:06 am

I was walking past the magazine rack at the grocery store today and saw a magazine called 50 Shades (and based on the few cover story titles I saw, it seems like it ties in). Has this thing spawned an actual magazine?

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji Xiang Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 am

Hee, this is reminding me of what I just saw on Groupon Goods. (In case you can't see what the link leads to, it's a line of t-shirts with quotes inspried by 50 Shades, including: "Keep Calm until Laters Baby" (what the...), "Keep Calm and Listen to Your Inner Goddess" and "Cry Because Christian Grey is Fictional" (sigh*). Over 1000 bought...

Ji Xiang

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 pm

mayram wrote:I was walking past the magazine rack at the grocery store today and saw a magazine called 50 Shades (and based on the few cover story titles I saw, it seems like it ties in). Has this thing spawned an actual magazine?

I think (hope) that it is one of those one-off magazines that come out about movies. I admit, I saw some at the drug store and hid them behind some other magazines.

When Twilight became popular among older women a lot of romance bloggers attributed it at least somewhat to the idea that there were a group of romance readers who really enjoyed the so-called "alph-hole" heroes and Edward as a throwback to when that was much more common. To me, 50 Shades is the logical extension of this. Erotic romance has been taking up a larger and larger portion of romance sales and BDSM romance is very popular. It was only a matter of time before something hit the mainstream. The Twilight connection made it irresistible.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:44 am

"50 Shades Author Enraged by Copyright Violation"

Yes, you read that right. The fanfic writer slapped a UK housewife with a C&D for holding 50 Shades themed lingerie parties, saying "You can’t just hijack something someone else owns.”

In the immortal words of Brian Krakow: How ironic can you get without, like, puking?
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:07 am

Raksha wrote:"50 Shades Author Enraged by Copyright Violation"

Yes, you read that right. The fanfic writer slapped a UK housewife with a C&D for holding 50 Shades themed lingerie parties, saying "You can’t just hijack something someone else owns.”

In the immortal words of Brian Krakow: How ironic can you get without, like, puking?
We were talking about this last night on Twitter. She's so damn punchable. And really, ugly greedy.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:03 pm

If there were ever a person undeserving of her success, she's it. I'm no fan of Stephenie Meyer, but I'd love for her to say, "OK, that's it...GAME ON, 'Snowqueen's Icedragon'!"

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:57 pm

What a turd. I can't wait until the hype dies down, and no one cares about her "writing" anymore.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next