Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

House of Cards (US)

+14
UmaOprah
Shalamar
naughty zoot
mokey75
Wildog27
laddical
Eris Rising
bbridges
big chicken
truecrystal
RiverThames
xyzzy
Matinee
vwlphb
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

House of Cards (US)  Empty House of Cards (US)

Post  vwlphb Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Netflix's first original content effort was released (all 13 episodes) yesterday. The first one is available for non-Netflix subscribers as well.

Has anyone started it? I watched the first two episodes and I'm really enjoying it.

There's been mixed opinions on having the whole season released at once. A gawker article pointed out that without a season long run it may get buzz now, but how lasting will it be? Unlike shows like Homeland which will be discussed at the water cooler every week. Personally I love having them all available, and I think Netflix should be applauded for trying something new instead of going by conventional wisdom. We consume media differently now, and while this strategy may be a bust, it is worth experimenting.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

House of Cards (US)  Empty Re: House of Cards (US)

Post  Matinee Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:40 am

Really enjoying it as well - we're up to 6? 7? I'm particularly interested in the portrayal of the Frank/Claire marriage.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:15 am

It's a pretty good show. I love that Kevin Spacey voices his inner monologues directly to the camera. The acting is generally superb but I did notice that Spacey loses strength on his Southern drawl occasionally.

The writing is pretty tight though I did take some exception to the weird peach plot. The girl was texting while driving; I don't see how the subject of her text (the peachoid) had anything to do with the congressman or his political motivations for saving the sexualized water tower from destruction. I think the writers could have found an equally ridiculous but slightly more plausible reason for him to rush home to deal with a problem.

I'm about halfway through because I'm a habitual mainliner. I'll definitely finish the season.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:42 pm

Husband and I are debating if Frank is Iago (his vote because he sees the machinations as mostly spite-based) or Macbeth (my vote - mainly based on Claire being so in on things). Thoughts?

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:37 am

I've consumed through episode 10, and it's been pretty fantastic. This can't get Emmy nods, can it? Robin Wright is fucking killing it.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 am

I'm through 6 and it is AWESOME. The show itself is great but I'm really loving being able to plow through the season at my leisure.

Just curious - why wouldn't it be eligible for Emmy consideration.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 am

Because it's not actually on TV, right? I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but I know a movie isn't eligible for an Oscar unless it premieres in an actual movie theatre. I'd love to be wrong on this, but I'd imagine someone would be a stickler about that.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:47 pm

I don't think it's eligible for the Emmys.

As for releasing it all at once, I think Netflix probably want to keep the people who mainline a show happy. It does not affect the viewing experience of those who prefer a less intensive experience.

Netflix also has another original series (their first orignal actually) called Lilyhammer. It's about a mobster who relocates to Norway.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm

Now I've finished it.

Damn, that was excellent. Best work Spacey has done in YEARS. Everyone is great. My biggest complaint is there are a few subplots that seem only to be there to keep Robin Wright on screen, and they don't really add up to anything. The old woman in the cemetery, and Origami Homeless Guy-- if those had some thematic point, they went over my head. But other than that? Fantastic. Especially any scene with Spacey and Wright together.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:11 am

I'm through episode four and really liking it. I have been loving Robin Wright.

It is eligible for the Emmys. The Emmys changed the rules to allow streaming content a few years ago.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 am

Wow. I just finished. Excellent, excellent "television." I find it vastly superior to Homeland. It's hard to explain, but these political machinations feel far more threatening to me than the specter of terrorism.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

House of Cards (US)  Empty House Of Cards

Post  Eris Rising Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Deleted post...only made sense as an intro to the thread I started. Didn't see the existing one. Mea culpa.

Last edited by Eris Rising on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:47 pm

My wife and I started watching it about a month ago and took about a week and a half to finish it, what with kids being up and this being a definite no-kids show.

We really enjoyed it - for values of "enjoy" that include that sinking feeling in your stomach you get when an ugly truth of politics is staring at you from the TV screen. It's fiction, but I'm sure it's more truthful than not.

I like that it mostly didn't end on a cliffhanger. There's a bit of it in that there's unfinished plot threads, but if this had been a movie or a limited series and it had ended where and how it did, I think it would have been satisfactory. As it is, I'm just hoping that they don't completely whiff the second season as so many "awesome out of the gate" shows seem to do.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 am

Through episode 4 and totally enthralled by it, but I feel like I need to watch some West Wing as a balance to the dark political machinations.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Finished episodes one and two of season two.  Still enjoying the machinations involved in two, but number one....

Season 2 Episode 1 Spoilers:
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:21 am

We're 8 episodes in to the second season, and I mostly just wanted to call out sick today so I could finish it off.

I'm still trying to figure out why
Spoiler:
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:43 am

I just finished the second season. Wow. My head is spinning from all the machinations and twists. mokey you'll get an answer to the why fairly soon. I was confused about that, too.
The show seems to be perfectly calibrated to my sense of
Spoiler:

Edited to say that, on second thought, mokey, we don't get an answer. I suspect it was just intelligence gathering, but who knows.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:16 am

naughty zoot wrote:I just finished the second season. Wow. My head is spinning from all the machinations and twists. mokey you'll get an answer to the why fairly soon. I was confused about that, too.
The show seems to be perfectly calibrated to my sense of
Spoiler:

Edited to say that, on second thought, mokey, we don't get an answer. I suspect it was just intelligence gathering, but who knows.

We have two left - I really wanted to finish it off last night, but I could not justify staying up til midnight.
And holy shit to
Spoiler:
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:46 am

Not clicking those spoilers! I'm only on episode 9 of Season 2. Nope, not clicking those spoilers. Get thee behind me, Satan.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:18 pm

mokey, it's a very long time ago but
Spoiler:
Not the same thing but there's a bit of precedent for political weirdness around that issue
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 am

I really like this show, there's just one thing that bugs me ...

... almost all of the female characters seem to be cut from the same cloth. Lean bodies, classic clothing (especially shift dresses), soft-spoken, and graceful. Even Molly Parker's character, and she's a former soldier.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:23 am

Finished! I have to say, I really think they should have ended it after this season.

Spoiler:
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  UmaOprah Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:29 pm

mokey75 wrote:Finished! I have to say, I really think they should have ended it after this season.

Spoiler:

Yes, I wonder if in the third season
Spoiler:
Of all the people whose lives were ruined/greatly affected though,
Spoiler:

UmaOprah

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 pm

UmaOprah wrote:Of all the people whose lives were ruined/greatly affected though,
Spoiler:

Seriously.
Spoiler:
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Just finished and DAMN. As much as I enjoyed S1, the one weak spot for me was how Claire's storyline just kind of petered out at the end. But boy did that pay off big time.
Spoiler:

And I agree about another season.
Spoiler:

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next