Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teen Wolf

+8
Raksha
rivki8699
Cynara
Corvus
vwlphb
Fiammetta
Raised by wolves
Lily Rose
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Teen Wolf  - Page 2 Empty Re: Teen Wolf

Post  Carrie Ann Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Well I for one was super into the Derek/Teacher sexytimes, because I figured out this season that Derek is kinda my fave (along with Lydia and Stiles), and in previous seasons, he really didn't have an inner life. He was very mission-driven, so it's nice to see him have feelings. Also it's nice to see him shirtless. Yes, even with a gross gaping wound. I think Tyler Hoechlin might have taken some acting classes between seasons too, because I'm seeing a lot more nuance from him this season, and actually from Allison and Scott as well. They are my least favorite characters and actors on the show, but I still like them and I actually thought the flashback (last episode) where they fake-fought in her room was kinda sexy.

Continuing on superficial notes: Isaac doesn't really do it for me physically, but he's a very sweet character and I hated revisiting the freezer thing the past two episodes. Heartbreaking. Also, someone has to do something about Tyler Posey's asymmetrical jaw because I cannot focus on anything else when he's talking.

Last edited by Carrie Ann on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Yeah, I know lots of people (mainly on tumblr) are up in arms about the Derek/Jennifer romance, but I actually really like it. I think she reminds me of Jenny Calendar from Buffy. I also appreciate that Derek is dating someone his age, instead of pairing him off with a teenager. Really the only thing I don't like about the storyline is that you know it's going to end badly.

There are some shows - mainly this one and Supernatural - which I keep watching even though it's painful because there's only hurt and never happy.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Who did people on Tumblr want Derek with? Other than one of the guys which was obviously never going to happen?
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:Who did people on Tumblr want Derek with? Other than one of the guys which was obviously never going to happen?
Stiles! Because gay underage love is totally what Derek needs.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Oh right! I remember hearing the Stiles thing. Look, I'm all for gay couples on TV, but it is SO annoying when fandom latches onto a coupling that has a very low likelihood of ever happening and then gets MAD when the characters are inevitably paired with others. It's the usual fannish entitlement plus a dose of irrationality, and that kind of thing is the reason I don't follow tags on Tumblr and stay away from fandom in general.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:05 am

True. I really didn't see it after watching the series. I did like Stiles/Danny as a pairing, but that is definitely considered rare in this fandom.

I have read some Stiles/Derek fic that I've enjoyed, mainly because I like both characters, but I have never expected to see it in the show. In fact, even in fic it bothers me when they have them get together while Stiles is in high school. Derek was seduced and used by a person in their twenties when he was a teen, and it resulted in the death of his entire family. I think it's unrealistic to say he'd just fall into bed with Stiles while Stiles is a teen and not have overwhelming issues with it.

Poor Derek. The more I watch the show, the more I want to just give him a hug. He was raped (statutory, and super icky when you consider Kate's motives), his family was murdered based on information he gave her, then his sister is murdered, then he has to kill his uncle, his last surviving relative. Then he tries to make a pack and Erica is murdered and nobody likes him. Even though Peter's back and Cora is alive, you know it's not going to end well. (Again, this is pretty much how I feel about Dean Winchester. Why can't suffering characters ever have good things that don't end badly?)

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:38 am

I love this show but I wish they'd be more clear about how their cannon works. I have so many questions about Alphas, Omegas and Betas and how all that works. Why does Scott have the potential to be an Alpha? Is Scott an Omega? If Boyd had made a wolf like I thought he was planning to do when he and Erica ran away, would he instantly become an Alpha? Can Betas even make wolves? Is Isaac now an Omega because Derek kicked him out?

I don't consider any of this to be plotholes or anything but understanding the cannon would make it a little easier for me to follow. Also I don't remember what hand waving they did to explain Peter being alive? Can someone please remind me?

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Lydia raised him, in a sort of trance. We don't know how she is able to, or even what's going on with her, but it seems to have something to do with her also being immune to the bite that Peter gave her at the end of Season 1.

Don't know what passed between him and Derek that doesn't make Derek kill him again, while he's still in his apparently weakened state. Peter did kill Laura, after all. We have every reason to think it was intentional, to gain the Alpha powers for himself.

I read something in the hiatus that given the longer season, there will be more explanations forthcoming, especially in regards to how things worked when the Hale family was more, uh, whole.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:Well I for one was super into the Derek/Teacher sexytimes, because I figured out this season that Derek is kinda my fave (along with Lydia and Stiles), and in previous seasons, he really didn't have an inner life. He was very mission-driven, so it's nice to see him have feelings. Also it's nice to see him shirtless. Yes, even with a gross gaping wound.

I could not get over the gross gaping wound. I mean, if the kissing had healed him before the sexytimes I would have been fine. But I was very squicked out by the fact that it looked like they were having sex when Derek was covered in open wounds. I mean, I think it was supposed to be romantic, but Jennifer had to be either crazy or evil or have an undisclosed gore kink for the sex to make any sense.

rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:40 pm

vwlphb wrote:True. I really didn't see it after watching the series. I did like Stiles/Danny as a pairing, but that is definitely considered rare in this fandom.

I would love to see Stiles/Danny. It's fairly clear that Stiles is interested (I mean, Stiles has flat out asked if Danny was attracted to him, and was disappointed when his offer to deverginize Stiles was insincere). I'd love to see Stiles save Danny from Ethan (who I still think is evil) and have Danny realize that there's more to Stiles than hyperactive annoying kids he sees at school. And then make-outs.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Scott and Isaac watching over Mrs. McCall was possibly the cutest thing I've witnessed in a long time.

I'm not sure what the twins meant in figuring out whether Danny or Lydia was important. Like, why is it definitely one of them? Show, your logic is confusing and strange to me.

Good-bye, Boyd, I hardly knew you (and Erica). Also reinforces that Derek must be the worst Alpha ever.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  chibimanda Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 pm

Aw, I loved Isaac helping Scott watch over his adoptive family! I was lolling pretty hard at Stiles going through Danny's stuff.
chibimanda
chibimanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:10 am

The actress who plays Cora is, er, not good. Giving her scenes opposite Stiles makes her seem even more wooden.

Deucalion is so distracting, because I know his voice (from video games) so well.

So Derek just gets hurt, all the time, forever. Also, his mom seemed so warm and lovely. I wonder if we're going to see a younger Kate Argent drop a bomb on his life.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Tyler Posey on why Tyler Hoechlin should play Batman in the next Superman movie:
"Do you think he’d be a good Batman?"
   "I think he would be the best Batman. I just really want him to get it. That would be the coolest thing in the world. I would love it. I would absolutely love it!"
   "Why do you think he’d be such a good Batman?"

"He’s the man. I know him personally, he’s one of my favorite dudes ever. He’s super athletic, he’s sexy, he’s got a very nice chiselled jaw, he’s got great facial hair, I’m very attracted to him. I don’t know man, he’s a great actor, I really think he would have a lot of fun with the role you know, so. I really hope he gets it."
How is he so adorable?

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:21 am

A valid explanation for why Lydia is always yelling! I don't know why I didn't see it coming, but that's pretty awesome.

Derek is always making the wrong choices, isn't he?

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  chibimanda Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:09 am

I so totally knew they were going to have the love interest be evil!! Poor Derek, he just can't catch a break to save his life. Also I agree about Lydia. I'm glad they explained why they were always having her shrieking her guts out. They had better not kill off Sheriff Stilinski, especially now that he knows his son was telling the truth. Also because sad Stiles would just be heartbreaking.
chibimanda
chibimanda

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:29 am

Fiammetta wrote:Derek is always making the wrong choices, isn't he?
Yeah, at the big reveal my first response was "...and Derek never tries dating again." Poor Derek. I actually liked Jennifer before she turned out to be evil. But it was so obvious she was either evil or going to die when they had their goodbye and she leaves slow motion. Way to telegraph, show.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:42 pm

I realized last night that all I want from this show is for Derek to give up being Alpha to save Cora, and then he and Cora and Peter all join Scott's pack and everyone is happy (and Peter complains a lot). And for Isaac and Scott to make out. This is not so much to ask!

Wait, I also want Melissa McCall and Sheriff Stilinski to start dating. And Chris Argent can just keep on being a hot badass.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Maybe sometimes Derek can also make out with Isaac and/or Scott? If so, then you have a deal. Ooh, ooh, and Lydia has to make out with Stiles (or Scott, I was sorta into their hand-holding last week).
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:Maybe sometimes Derek can also make out with Isaac and/or Scott? If so, then you have a deal. Ooh, ooh, and Lydia has to make out with Stiles (or Scott, I was sorta into their hand-holding last week).
I'm in. Let's make this happen, writers!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:48 am

So hey, how about that episode, eh? Chris Argent sacrifices himself, Derek checks out, Isaac gets super mad, Peter is up to SOMETHING PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION, Lydia and Stiles kiss, we heard about Stiles's mom's death, and oh hey SCOTT'S DAD OUT OF NOWHERE. (His name is probably Rafael McCall, btw, Tumblr came through with the obsessive magnification on his FBI badge.) laurelin_kit and I were screeching at each other over Twitter about it for a good 40 minutes. I might not be done, actually.

Can we talk about that end bit though? I do not care for the way the show is forcing the Stiles/Lydia and Isaac/Allison pairings. I was so thrilled to see Lydia and Allison immediately move to each other when Deaton said it had to be someone they trusted and could bring them back. They love each other! And trust each other! But no...gotta go with the boys. Sorry. Can't just be incredibly strong best girlfriends saving each other.

And Isaac and Scott? Yes, Isaac has been saved by Scott many times now. But this would have been his chance to return the favor AND help save Melissa, the woman who took him into her house and gave him some place safe to live, something he hasn't had maybe ever. Also it was kind of gross how they both had to look to Scott to OK it, like, I know they both love him and don't want to hurt him but it was like they were asking approval to start dating and he was going to approve it or disapprove it right then. Yuck.

I think that although Scott and Deaton have a really strong emotional bond, it would have been awesome to see Deaton help Stiles, who I think is moving into the role of being Emissary for Scott's baby pack.

I don't know, maybe the show has a plan for all this that isn't Teen Love Triangles All Over The Place (let's save that for the hot single parents and sassy undead werewolves ok thanks) but I don't have a ton of confidence in the sophistication of the writing.

Thus ends my Many Words About Teen Wolf for this week, please don't laugh at me.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Lily Rose wrote:I don't know, maybe the show has a plan for all this [...] but I don't have a ton of confidence in the sophistication of the writing.
And, that about sums up all my feelings about Teen Wolf, ever. Except "mmmmm, hot" and "Am I supposed to understand any of this?"

I have a real question: do most people agree that the show is not very good? I enjoy it, and most of the acting is well above-par, and the production values are good, but the show in general? Not good. I see it as a B movie, on TV. I'm not trying to be condescending or a jerk; I am really wondering how other people view the show. Because the super crazy fandom makes me think that there are a lot of people who take it very seriously, and think it's a great genre show. And I'm not judging - I feel that way about The Vampire Diaries, which is very similar, but far superior in my eyes. So I'm just wondering if maybe I'm on the wrong wavelength for this show. If I tried harder to understand the convoluted mess that is the plot this year, or keep track of the various made-up words for super-natural things, would that help? I plan to keep watching, because I like the characters and my husband likes the show too, but I spend a lot of it rolling eyes and talking about what a mess it all is.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I totally agree with your assessment, some of the parts are good, but overall the show really is like a B movie series. But I don't think something has to be good to be enjoyable, necessarily. I enjoy the hell out of it, but that doesn't mean I have any illusions about its quality. I don't know what the general consensus is, though, since I'm not really a part of wider fandom.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:51 am

Oh yes, this show is a guilty pleasure. A guilty, guilty pleasure that sometimes infuriates me with its nonsense, so I have to overlook plenty. There are maybe three actors in the cast that I think are any good (Dylan O'Brien, Holland Roden, and Crystal Reed), the rest of them are just exceedingly pretty. But it airs in the summer, the people who make it seem to interact happily with their fandom, and there are random charming bits to it that delight me just enough. Mainly Stiles bits....not like that! (Did anyone catch the couple of times the cameras very specifically cut away from showing his shirtless torso? Too, too funny.)

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:14 am

I actually like the show unironically. I don't think the writing is terrible even if it's not perfect. I don't think it's any worse or better than Vampire Diaries, but to VD's credit, TW is in season 2 and VD is up to 5 now. And unless there are vast changes from the backdoor pilot, my interest in TW surpasses my interest in The Originals. I love all the characters of the originals (especially Klaus) but the pilot was just...there.

I had a ton of questions about the show cannon at the beginning of the season and almost all of them were answered as it went on. So yeah, that's actually not bad writing IMO. The only reason I find it a guilty pleasure is because I'm so far out of the demographic that it's a bit Twihard of me to look forward to watching a supernatural teen show on MTV.

Can we talk about that end bit though? I do not care for the way the show is forcing the Stiles/Lydia and Isaac/Allison pairings.
I don't think they're forcing S/L because it was established in S1 that he likes her. (Remember that cute scene where he busts her about being smart and says she'll win a Nobel in mathematics and she corrects him that they don't give a Nobel for math, it's a Fields medal? Loved that.) They are forcing Isaac and Allison though, but I think that's because the actors were dating IRL during the filming so they added it. They've since broken up so maybe that'll stop for next season. However, if I ever meet Crystal Reed I'm going to ask her if she caught him killing babies because otherwise breaking up with that is just stump dumb.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum