Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook

+84
ulkis
year of the cat
DarkSpork
Wildog27
snorf
SelfAmused
RiverThames
Fraoch
killershrew
sunni94
mandalaya
woolhat
Putli Bai
Red Wolf
queenofdenile
mialoubug
puddingcup
Author By Night
slmader
The Glen
blixie
QueenSix
VodouDoll
Raised by wolves
Tabby
choubetcha
megageek
whatthedeuce
punzy
UmaOprah
salamandersam
sagitare
TiffanyNichelle
sixchooks
Miss Moneypenny
MLIS
Luciano
Never Enough
Unlucky Bear
Poubelle
ariadne
Bad Username
Gillian
Jamie
particle_person
lucylane
Algae
lisaslobe
Crackie
punkysdilemma
Instant Monkeys
Gilraen
Morning Angel
Sheli
blooey
gannetguts
Kookla
The Lady of Shalott
Swarley
inversed
Binky
Jasmine
laddical
jcpdiesel21
philophobe
eventide82
tothemax
paablish
MichiSichi
jstilwe
RubyTuesday
Carrie Ann
katesti
mokey75
Corellderaan
Francie Nolan
naughty zoot
Auroura76
Matinee
mayram
oxymoron
Eris Rising
dinahmoe
maxell131313
88 posters

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Facebook  - Page 13 Empty Re: Facebook

Post  puddingcup Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:04 pm

I saw that article too, but it made me just too embarrassed for humankind.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Hee. My college roommate was just talking about how she accidentally (while drunk) sent a friend request to her longtime ex when she meant to just FB stalk him a little. We thought FB should ask you if you're ABSOLUTELY SURE you want to refriend someone you were once in a relationship with.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:30 am

This week, I got three friend requests from people I'd previously been friends with but had defriended. Do people really just assume it's a mistake that we're not friends anymore? If I somehow figure out that someone has defriended (Unfriended? whatever) me -which is unlikely, honestly - I just go on with my life. Especially when they are people that I haven't talked to/seen in YEARS.

The cynical part of me just assumes it has something to do with trying to get more people involved in one of those dumbass FB games that I don't play, heh.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:41 am

I always assume that if I'm no longer friends with someone on FB it's on purpose. I don't send them a friend request back. I was friend's with one of my former co-worker's sister. Twice we've been friends on Facebook and now we no longer are. I think because she defriended me. Which is fine by me. She just made some horrible public comments about poisoning dogs with anti-freeze so it just saves me the trouble of having to defriend her anyway. I am still friends with her husband though.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:33 pm

I honestly think some people go into such friending frenzies that they forget they ever friended you to begin with. I have friends with fbook friends in the four digits. I don't see how you would ever be able to keep track of that many people.

(This message brought to you by the letter f.)

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Protip Tea Party co-worker, The House of Representatives is part of Congress, so I haven't forgotten it, while you have confirmed everything I already knew about Tea Party supporters.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:10 pm

It is SO hard right now not to start political fights on facebook. I want to SOOO bad.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:20 pm

I have That One Guy on my friendlist that I more or less keep there to serve as a Fight Club when I want to get into it somewhere.

And right now it's golden time.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Binky wrote:It is SO hard right now not to start political fights on facebook. I want to SOOO bad.
Don't do it! I learned this lesson the hard way. Even though I didn't really start a fight as much as I told my mother in law I didn't believe voter fraud was a prevalent as she seemed to think it was. BAD IDEA.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:27 pm

So I see FB has once again randomly decided they are better at organizing your Newsfeed than you are by bumping status/posts every time a new comment is added. Is there a way to shut that off? Grrrr Argh.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:41 pm

I really want to know, is there some contingent of users who are all, "Really, I don't want to see EVERYTHING. Just filter what you presume I'll care most about."
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:01 pm

I swear, Facebook staff makes decisions based on the experience they themselves have. So, maybe because they work in social media, they all have like 5,000 friends or whatever the max is. And they find all these updates from people SO tiresome, and they only want to see the "important" or "active" ones. I literally cannot imagine anyone else who would want this.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm tired of assholes on Facebook who don't seem to feel like they have to be courteous. If you wouldn't want me to say it about you or your beliefs or your favorite politician, then don't say it about mine. Okay, that's all.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:11 pm

And they find all these updates from people SO tiresome, and they only want to see the "important" or "active" ones.
Facebook: We HATE chronology and we won't STAND for it.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:20 pm

I dutifully uncheck "comments and likes" from the things I want to see from my friends, so why am I suddenly seeing so many of them now??

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Facebook must have reset everyone's privacy filters. I've been having to go through and re-check that all again myself.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:40 pm

I read that they're doing away with the hidden profile thing where you don't appear in search results and only people who are friends with people on your current friends list can friend you. I have my account set that way for a reason and I wanted to keep it that way!

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Has anyone ever gotten a "So-and-so has accepted your friend request" message even though you never friended the person?  I got one of these from my cousin's wacky friend (who I've met a few times) and I know I never requested her--I haven't ever seen her in my People You May Know list, so I know I didn't accidentally friend her.  Did she friend me?  I wold just leave it alone, but her ENTIRE feed is "Obama=Hitler" and "Dinosaur Fossils Are a Conspiracy" memes.  I have her hidden, but I feel weird if she thinks I want to be friends with her brand of crazy.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:04 pm

I haven't had that happen, but it is really easy to accidentally send a friend request to someone, especially if you're using FB on a mobile device. So it's possible you accidentally did that when she commented on a post you looked at or something. If I were you, I'd just unfriend her now. If you don't know her and don't like what she posts, what would it hurt to just drop her? She won't be notified and probably won't notice the difference.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:11 am

Oh goody, it's my favorite time of year on Facebook, the "let's post this random status to promote breast cancer awareness [even though posting cryptic statuses does jack shit for breast cancer]" mid-October meme. I'm really tempted to post something snarky as my own status update, even though some people I consider good friends are participating in this, because this really gets under my skin. A lot.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  SelfAmused Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 pm

queenofdenile wrote:Oh goody, it's my favorite time of year on Facebook, the "let's post this random status to promote breast cancer awareness [even though posting cryptic statuses does jack shit for breast cancer]" mid-October meme. I'm really tempted to post something snarky as my own status update, even though some people I consider good friends are participating in this, because this really gets under my skin. A lot.
I hear ya. It's one of the few Facebook things that can actually send me into an irrational spitting rage. I know it's just Facebook, and in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter, but somehow, the giggle-giggle-don't-tell-the-boys-let's-not-actually-post-anything-useful-"awareness"-is-just-as-good-as-action lameness of it all makes me want to scream.

Thank said, I don't know what this year's is, but (because it is me) I know that now that I've publicly said that I don't know what it is, my news feed will be filled with it.

SelfAmused

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:37 pm

Annnnnnnd a whole lot of status updates suddenly made "sense" (we're talking about those status' that say "blue!" and it's supposed to be the bra color you are currently wearing or something, right?) I never realised it was actually in aid of something, I just thought it was some juvenile battle of the sexes thing, and ignored it. I figure about 95% of the guys I know just skip over shit they don't understand and go about their merry way.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 pm

snorf wrote:Annnnnnnd a whole lot of status updates suddenly made "sense" (we're talking about those status' that say "blue!" and it's supposed to be the bra color you are currently wearing or something, right?) I never realised it was actually in aid of something, I just thought it was some juvenile battle of the sexes thing, and ignored it. I figure about 95% of the guys I know just skip over shit they don't understand and go about their merry way.
Oh, it is just a juvenile battle of the sexes thing, under the thin veil of "activism" (but secret, so therefore useless).

This year I've seen some things like "I'm 4 weeks and craving starburst" so, yeah.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:47 am

One of my FB friends lost her mother to breast cancer and hates those Facebook memes. She's posted this and encouraged it to be shared:

It's October again...

When my mother was first diagnosed with breast cancer, I bought in to the cancer awareness thing 100%.  Everything I owned was pink and had a ribbon on it.  As time went on, though, I became more educated, and awareness shifted a bit.  Instead of being aware of breast cancer, I became aware of how breast cancer was marketed.  I took note of which companies charged a dollar more for something, dyed it pink, and then in the fine print noted that they donated a nickel or had a cap on donations or did not specify which organization they were supporting. (See http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org/ for more info)  I learned that not all cancer groups are equal.  For example, Komen supports breast cancer exclusively but has wavered on their support of under privileged women, most notably in their attempt to withdraw support from Planned Parenthood earlier this year (The latest on that debacle is explained here: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/05/former-komen-official-karen-handel-calls-planned-parenthood-a-schoolyard-thug.html). The BBB gives report cards of charities here: http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/#B

More and more, I become aware of the need for awareness of a different sort, though.  People know breast cancer happens.  They don't realize that it's not the number one killer of women (that "honor" goes to heart disease) or even the most fatal cancer in women (lung cancer claims more lives).  They don't realize that silly Facebook games do nothing but alienate certain audiences and do little to spread awareness.  They don't realize that as many as 1% of all breast cancer diagnoses are in men (over 2000 a year) and that almost one fifth of those men will die.  They don't realize that there are forms of breast cancer that can't be detected with mammograms, or that no more than 10% of breast cancer cases are tied to the BRCA genes.  (BRCA positive people, however, have an 80% chance of developing some form of reproductive cancer and a 50% chance of passing the gene to their offspring.)

It's time that awareness of a different sort be spread - the type that spreads legitimate facts (no, there is no scientific evidence that your deodorant is "blocking your lymph nodes" and causing breast cancer) and provides support and resources to everyone, regardless of gender.  It's time that we learn to avoid the pink batteries and instead take that extra dollar that we're being charged for a dime of support and give it to a friend raising money for Relay for Life.  It's time we learn that innuendos about shoe sizes and bra colors to "fool the men" will mean that those men will feel alienated by the whole "breast cancer thing" and will fuel the stereotype that it's solely a women's disease.  Because if you wanted to do that, you missed your chance - last month was Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month.  http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/08/31/presidential-proclamation-national-ovarian-cancer-awareness-month-2012
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Francie Nolan wrote:Has anyone ever gotten a "So-and-so has accepted your friend request" message even though you never friended the person?  I got one of these from my cousin's wacky friend (who I've met a few times) and I know I never requested her--I haven't ever seen her in my People You May Know list, so I know I didn't accidentally friend her.  Did she friend me?  I wold just leave it alone, but her ENTIRE feed is "Obama=Hitler" and "Dinosaur Fossils Are a Conspiracy" memes.  I have her hidden, but I feel weird if she thinks I want to be friends with her brand of crazy.
Update:  I unfriended her after I scrolled through her wall again and saw a bunch of racist and homophobic crap.  She's also Facebook friends with my cousin's brother.  He doesn't really post political stuff, but likes the occasional article and reposts some stuff supporting marriage equality.  The other day he liked an article that painted the Tea Party in a bad light--didn't comment or anything, just liked it.  Well. The wacky friend sent him a batshit insane message.  She is unfriending him, because her moral upbringing tells her that she cannot associate with people like him, who are working to bring down the country.  Without getting too political here, she believes the President is a secret Muslim who is planning to blow up the country, and that my cousin is supportive of this because he voted for him.  Also, we northerners have no morals, and we brought Hurricane Sandy on ourselves.  But she has been saved and has a personal relationship with God and will pray for my cousin.  She included the phrase "No hard feelings" in all of this mess, of course.  And misspelled "Sodom" (because that's where the country is headed) as "Saddam," just as the cherry on top.

So yeah, I think I made the right choice.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next