Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young Adult Literature

+55
Evil Lincoln
ulkis
chibimanda
Raksha
Shadowlass
Wildog27
mayram
mo pie
Algae
Coneycat
QueenSix
curryalley
Bob Genghis Khan
Poubelle
Luthien
MaddyCat
Escape
schwa
darthtall
Jude
Esseilte
SarahJanet
gannetguts
MtOlivePickles
mokey75
BreezyK
eventide82
katesti
Carrie Ann
Jessica
EggSpreader
mialoubug
particle_person
Crowbridge
rivki8699
punzy
allochthonous
Instant Monkeys
choubetcha
molliewollie
epudom
Cynara
Menshevixen
big chicken
queenofdenile
Gilraen
The Lady of Shalott
Gallifrey Girl
Bad Username
Disclaimer
Kiran
whatthedeuce
inversed
Jasmine
Paris, Texas
59 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Young Adult Literature - Page 3 Empty Re: Young Adult Literature

Post  queenofdenile Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:49 pm

I've devoured most of E. Lockhart's books in the past few weeks. I loved her Ruby Oliver quartet, complete with silly footnotes and neurotic obsession over boys. I liked Fly on the Wall a little less but it had its good moments. Dramarama was all set to be my favorite one of all until the stupid ending that I HATED. And I read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks last year and really liked it (and met E. Lockhart herself, which was a lot of fun).

I like her books a lot. She has engaging heroines and a real wit that I appreciate. Any other fans?
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:25 pm

I adore E. Lockhart, especially all the Boyfriend List books. I actually didn't really like Frankie all that much, but I understand why people did. I liked that I thought that the Boyfriend List books got stronger as they went on, and that the female relationships really grew.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:41 pm

I love love love E.Lockhart. In particular I loved the care she took in creating the supporting characters in the boyfriend books.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:56 pm

I LOVE the Boyfriend books. I read them all in one weekend, when I was sick in bed. It was delightful.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:04 pm

I read all of the Boyfriend books at about this time last year and really loved them too. I was a little unsatisfied with the lack of comeuppance for Ruby's a-hole friends though, especially that monster Kim.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:01 am

I read Fly on the Wall today and really loved it. I know people have mixed feelings about it - thoughts?

(Note: This was my first Lockhart, and it definitely made me want to go back for more, even though I know this is very different from the rest of her stuff.)

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:03 am

I enjoyed it a lot actually. I prefer the boyfriend books and Frankie Landeau-Banks, but I liked it. I didn't know that was unpopular till this thread.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:17 am

I think it's a really charming book with many staples of her writing that I love - quirky and off-beat female leads, a great mix of pathos and humor, situations that don't have super-easy solutions.

I do think it's a little structurally weak and predictable in terms of plot. But I did read it after Frankie Landau-Banks and the Ruby Oliver books, which are both stronger in that area.

Basically, if you loved this one, you'll probably LOVE LOVE the others. [/fourth grade book report]
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Would the Anastasia Krupnik series be too young for my 11 year old niece going into 6th grade in the New Year? I read them when I was younger, and kids grow up so quickly these days that it is hard to tell. My other niece is 7 going into second grade, so I assume Enid Blyton would be more her level.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:50 pm

I read them when I was eleven. I think they are perfect for that age. Maybe get one of the later books? They kinda grew up with the reader.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:54 pm

I think the Anastasia books are perfect for an eleven year old.

Man, I loved those books!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:57 pm

I remember being shocked and scandalized that her dad got his playboys delivered and just left them out. Its also how I learned who Simon and Garfunkel were, sadly.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:57 pm

I loved The Fly on the Wall -- it's definitely kind of a thinner book than her others, so it's more of a Lockhart lite, but it's still a super fun book.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:07 pm

I will note that it took me a REALLY LONG TIME to realize why it was so inappropriate that Anastasia was going to name her brother One-Ball Reilly. But I LOVED those books. The first one is so great. Heather and I gave one of the characters in our book a room in a turret because of Anastasia. (Of course, it's a boy in the turret, but you know. Boys like turrets too.)
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:13 am

I JUST got the One-Ball O'Reilly joke. That must be why the book gets banned. I always thought it was because she spent so much of the book mad at her parents for having another baby.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks everyone! I am so buying them for her.

I loved the books so much. The characters are so great. I love the parents, and the friend who owns multiple copies of Wuthering Heights, and the girl she meets on the modelling course. But part of the reason I want to introduce her to Lois Lowry is to eventually buy her A Summer To Die.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:46 am

I'm about halfway through Saving Francesca. GOD I love Melina Marchetta. Time for another Jellicoe Road reread, it seems.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:03 pm

You should read The Piper's Son. Its the sequel to Saving Francesca.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Oh I LOVE Saving Francesca. It was my first Marchetta and I got an ARC from a librarian friend - had no idea who she was or whether it would be any good. It is one of my favorite books ever ever ever. I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Has anyone else read Marchetta's fantasy, Finnikin of the Rock? It's dark but I liked it a lot. I think the second book in the trilogy is supposed to come out early next year in the US.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Just chiming in to say that I LOVE the Anastasia books. I grew up knowing a family very much like that family, who introduced me to those books, and I basically feel like I know the people in the books in real life.

Auuuugghhh, A Summer to Die.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:29 pm

big chicken Yes, I also loved Finnikin of the Rock and I'm excited there's a sequel. I read it around the same time as Graceling and Fire, so I'm going to have to reread, to make sure that I know which fantasy world is which.

Also, Anastasia are GREAT books for 11-year-olds. Get the one where she has the pen pal and her friend's sister is getting married. Or get them all, since as others have so wisely said, they are meant to grow with the reader - so if like me, you happened to get a middle one first, you might be a little lost with the references

Finally, A Summer to Die- make sure you have a glass of water handy to rehydrate after all the tears.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Froi of the Exiles comes out March 13, 2012 according to Amazon. Froi is looking rather good on the cover.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:39 pm

I totally have to read some more Melina Marchetta. I read and liked Looking For Alibrandi when it came out in the 90s, but have read nothing since, and everyone says her later books are far better than her first.

It is great having nieces to inflict my literary taste upon. I love how Lois Lowry wrote teens whose serious opinions and thoughts were given as much consideration as the adults they lived amongst. Their tantrums and acting out weren't tolerated but their hopes and ideas were, even in younger stuff like the Anastasia books. A Summer to Die was a favourite. (And immediately before I read it, it was mentioned in the latest BSC book by one of the sitters - Dawn? Mallory? - who reread it whilst spending summer in NYC.) I loved the pregnant neighbours who ate their entire shelled pea crop in one sitting and the old gent (who is not a freak nor a pedo!) who encouraged the sisters in photography and catelogueing wild-flowers. It had this idealistic, pre-Reagan atmosphere of calm that made me want to marry some arty guy and move to the country.

I just finished Divergent by Veronica Roth. It is better than a lot of the latest crop of dystopias in terms of action and pace. (The film rights have already been sold so if The Hunger Games movie is a hit, this will be greenlit and cast faster than you can say franchise.) The last few I read spent the majority of the time setting the scene and setting up the corners of a love triangle without anything much happening. However the concept of the society and its structure is lacks real plausibility, and it is more of the same as far as the genre goes. Did I fall for the highly scrupulous yet menacingly mysterious tough guy love interest? Of course I did.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:52 pm

I liked Divergent, but I read it shortly after Delirium, and I thought it suffered in comparison. I think if I hadn't just been on a YA/distopian spree, I would have liked it more.
But Four was pretty awesome, for sure.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum