Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Technical Issues and Bugs

+57
F8kKy
Tabby
Gallifrey Girl
BreezyK
chibimanda
mayram
RiverThames
Binky
laddical
Carrie Ann
slmader
The Dude
Author By Night
Raised by wolves
sagitare
truecrystal
PrincessCleo
bookworm
naughty zoot
mokey75
pizzagirl20
Matinee
maxell131313
punzy
puddingcup
Putli Bai
QueenSix
ulkis
eventide82
Red Wolf
jcpdiesel21
philophobe
boutros boutros kitty
sixchooks
mrinsouciance
inversed
Sheli
tothemax
Escape
Corellderaan
katesti
whatthedeuce
dinahmoe
Pumpkin Cake
Poubelle
Lily Rose
Swarley
blooey
blixie
The Glen
punkysdilemma
biakbiak
Instant Monkeys
MLIS
Jasmine
filwdork
particle_person
61 posters

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Technical Issues and Bugs - Page 5 Empty Re: Technical Issues and Bugs

Post  Instant Monkeys Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Me too. Are we the Black Widow of celebrity gossip forums?
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Maybe this place actually does maintenance to keep things running smoothly and that's all this was? /hopeful

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:46 pm

That's what I'm hoping. We'll see if this is repeated.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:47 pm

I also got those messages while logged in last night. I assumed it was you, particle_person, changing settings. However, these messages weren't nearly as annoying as the ones on Forumer, and I could still read the new posts by liberally using the refresh button.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Yeah, I went away to Gloucester for the past four days and haven't touched the Admin panel in that time. (I did come by SF several times, but on my iPad, which is no good for modifying the forum.)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Yeah, I saw the message briefly but it went away and haven't seen it since Saturday night, which is as good a time as any to do maintenance (Saturday night yes, entire month of November no).

I am still baffled that the other board has been down for three weeks straight and no one at Forumer cares.

Unrelated: Can we go through and apply proper title case to some thread titles that are inconsistently capitalized, like "Advice columns"? (I may be the only person who is bothered by this.)

(particle_person - I reposted this in Questions about Topics)

Last edited by particle_person on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to leave a note)
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:59 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:Saturday night, which is as good a time as any to do maintenance (Saturday night yes, entire month of November no).
I'd say that about sums it up.

Unrelated: Can we go through and apply proper title case to some thread titles that are inconsistently capitalized, like "Advice columns"? (I may be the only person who is bothered by this.)
You are not. :) (Well, I wouldn't say bothered exactly. But I do notice it every time.)
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Improper thread titles aren't really for this thread (although I'm sure we can make them more consistent) since they are an issue with forum content rather than a technical problem. In other words, not my bailiwick. Can you guys take that to Questions about Topics? Which I just noticed has inconsistent capitalization...
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:32 am

Going to attempt to get rid of the redundant usernames in the post titles, and allow individual posts to be referenced by URL. (I think that last was a casualty of a prior modification, so I'm going to see if I can reverse things.) Forum will be wonky until around 2am EST, or about 2.5 hours from now.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:28 am

Okay, done with modifications for now. It's easy to get rid of the redundant usernames at the top of each post, but impossible to allow the URL for an individual post to be selected AND have the redundant post titles be suppressed.

Whoever wrote the code for this forum made the really stupid choice to embed the anchor tags for each post INSIDE those redundant post titles' URLs. That explains why the "Jump to Latest Post" thing got screwed up when I suppressed them altogether (as opposed to making them invisible, which is how things are now). It goes to jump to the post with anchor #4456 (or whatever number), and I've told your browser to suppress anchor #4456 because that corresponds to an annoying title that we hate. Then your browser gives up and just stops at the top of the page. Long story short, I learn an Important Life Lesson and we carry on.

I think the only way to fix that issue is to override the script that builds the HTML for the page, but THAT is more surgery than I'm willing to do at the moment. The opportunities to screw things up with Javascript are legion.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:42 am

Noticed that I left the "Post title" field on the post editing page, even though it doesn't do anything now, so I'm going to get rid of that. If all goes well, you won't notice any funny business except that it will vanish sometime soon.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:01 am

Done editing for now. Didn't succeed in getting the "Post title" field to go away. (Or rather, I did, but it also made the title field go away on the PM editor and the Post New Topic editor, so it wasn't much of a solution.)

However, I DID manage to optimize the CSS, which should make the forum load faster. So it wasn't a wasted evening.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:30 am

This is a minor issue, but it's important to me. You see, I'm in the habit of saving particularly funny or interesting posts. However, I can't highlight both username and post now. I can get one or the other, unless I start highlighting to the right of the name, but when I paste it into a document, the username appears several lines below the message, instead of above.

Is there anything you can do to make the name appear above? Thanks!

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:31 am

I could, but someone else asked me to remove the name above the post because it's redundant. I'm afraid this falls under "I can't make everyone happy" unless you can persuade people that it's worth keeping.

ETA: Wait, I just had an idea! What if I make the username INVISIBLE text? When you copy and paste, it'll be there, but we won't see it on the forum.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:03 am

That's an interesting idea. If it works, that would be great. But ultimately, I'll cope with whatever you do, because I like this place enough to cope with the very minor frustration of it not being perfect. :)

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:07 am

Okay, it's there, but you have to be a little careful about how you select. Click right near the very top of the post near the center (in the horizontal direction) and drag down. You might have to fiddle with it a bit before you get the hang, but it seems to work.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:13 am

Thanks, that's great!

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:51 pm

I used the swanky mobile version on my iPhone over the weekend and couldn't figure out how to do two things: 1) click on a thread and go straight to the last page with the latest posts (I had to click through each individual page and eventually gave up for the longer threads). And 2) how to post a reply! I couldn't find a "post reply" button anywhere.

I could only do both of the above things if I switched back to the classic version. Am I missing something really obvious in the nice mobile version?
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:32 pm

The mobile version is *browse only*, you have to access the page via the web on your smartphone if you want to post. The newest post feature I know less about.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 pm

It also says (in the admin console) that the mobile version is "beta" (whatever that means in this case). I suppose it might improve in time.

Last edited by particle_person on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Ah, that makes sense. I just thought I was missing some huge "POST REPLY" button or something. Good to know, thanks guys!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Hey, do we want spoiler text color back? There is a spoiler tag under Others, but it doesn't have that effect. I found myself missing it in Current Reads just now.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Do you mean changing it back to whiting out the text? I so prefer this boards spoiler method of having the spoiler in a box because if you are reading on an iphone you can still read the spoilers because you can just click on the box.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Hm, true, hadn't thought of that. The reason I wanted it was because I only wanted to blank two words, but I guess I could have just put the whole thing under a spoiler tag...
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Is it possible to do both? >>Lets see if this works!

eta: Because the color =white coding still works! So maybe that option for just spoilering a few words and still have the spoiler coding for bigger spoilers.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum