Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Other Works of JK Rowling

+36
biakbiak
puddingcup
naughty zoot
vwlphb
ulkis
ariadne
Carrie Ann
Skyblade
Unlucky Bear
choubetcha
slmader
emrie
Arabella
laddical
QueenSix
Gilraen
SarahJanet
Gillian
dinahmoe
Author By Night
Jessica
Crackie
Crowbridge
Algae
Poubelle
ActonBell
Paris, Texas
Instant Monkeys
Jamie
Red Wolf
big chicken
epudom
Luthien
jstilwe
particle_person
maxell131313
40 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Other Works of JK Rowling - Page 3 Empty Re: The Other Works of JK Rowling

Post  Unlucky Bear Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:55 pm

Just got my copy! It's our book club selection for this month.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:58 pm

choubetcha wrote:Did anyone come across a comment somewhere by a guy who was upset she used a male pseudonym as he only reads male authors and now he can't be sure who's male so has to stick to only very established (male) writers? I think I saw book smugglers cite it on twitter but can't find the reference now.
If he thinks she's the first woman to write under a male pseudonym, or that it's all that rare, hoo boy.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:11 pm

It's driving me crazy that I can't find the comment. I suspect I clicked through from twitter on mobile, which is why it's not turning up in my history.

Anyway, I thought the book was really good! It doesn't break the mold as far as mysteries go but it's a hell of a lot of fun. As I was reaching the end, I was thinking how much I was already looking forward to the sequel, putting us right back in yonder days of waiting impatiently for the new Rowling.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm about half-way through. I got sucked in and read all night last night (yawn). Like people have said, it's not breaking new ground, but it's doing a nice job of walking in the footsteps of the classics. Definitely want more of this, and I hope she stretches for some new ground in the next one. (Also, I'm REALLY scared that her outing as the author will end this series before it's really started.)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Poubelle wrote:
choubetcha wrote:Did anyone come across a comment somewhere by a guy who was upset she used a male pseudonym as he only reads male authors and now he can't be sure who's male so has to stick to only very established (male) writers? I think I saw book smugglers cite it on twitter but can't find the reference now.
If he thinks she's the first woman to write under a male pseudonym, or that it's all that rare, hoo boy.

In fact, "J.K." itself was an attempt at neutralizing the femininity in her name. It just doesn't work now because of how well-known she is. That said, without seeing the comment, I think it's likely a joke.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:56 pm

I saw a photo of the comment on Twitter the day or day after the great unmasking, and in the conversation in that Tweet, someone mentioned that jthe guy's comment history was full of crap like that. So I think it was real. It might have been deleted since then.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  ariadne Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:07 am

It's unfortunately not that uncommon. I used to work in a bookshop which ran a reading group, and one customer wanted a refund when he found out the book for that month was written by a woman because he didn't read women authors.
Unless it's the same guy.

ariadne

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:24 am

Now imagining this one man going from bookstore to bookstore like the John 3:16 dude and sports games.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:01 am

OMG
Spoiler:
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:16 pm

I finished the book, and I liked it very much. I was SURE it was going to turn out to be
Spoiler:
but it wasn't. Even if I hadn't known it was Rowling, though, I would have been reminded of her when Cormorant eats a large bar of chocolate as a hangover cure. Somehow I suspect large bars of chocolate play an important part in JKR's life.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

The Other Works of JK Rowling - Page 3 Empty

Post  big chicken Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:06 pm

Lawyer who leaked Robert Galbraith's identity fined.

A new Cormoran Strike book is coming out 2014.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Hell yeah.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:55 pm

big chicken wrote:Lawyer who leaked Robert Galbraith's identity fined.

I do feel bad for the guy, because what a horrible feeling to see that in the newspaper and realize you were unwittingly responsible, but probably appropriate that he be disciplined.  I was slightly amused by the mention of JKR's lawsuit against the firm, which apparently culminated in costs, a "fulsome apology," and their agreement to make a charitable donation.  I guess you can't really get huge monetary damages when someone's breach actually makes you a ton of money.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Is this author for real?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/lynn-shepherd/jk-rowling-should-stop-writing_b_4829648.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

When I told a friend the title of this piece she looked at me in horror and said, "You can't say that, everyone will just put it down to sour grapes!" And she does, of course, have a point. No struggling but relatively ambitious writer can possibly be anything other than envious. You'd be scarcely human otherwise. But this particular piece isn't about that.

I didn't much mind Rowling when she was Pottering about. I've never read a word (or seen a minute) so I can't comment on whether the books were good, bad or indifferent. I did think it a shame that adults were reading them (rather than just reading them to their children, which is another thing altogether), mainly because there's so many other books out there that are surely more stimulating for grown-up minds. But, then again, any reading is better than no reading, right? But The Casual Vacancy changed all that.

So this is my plea to JK Rowling. Remember what it was like when The Cuckoo's Calling had only sold a few boxes and think about those of us who are stuck there, because we can't wave a wand and turn our books into overnight bestsellers merely by saying the magic word. By all means keep writing for kids, or for your personal pleasure - I would never deny anyone that - but when it comes to the adult market you've had your turn. Enjoy your vast fortune and the good you're doing with it, luxuriate in the love of your legions of fans, and good luck to you on both counts. But it's time to give other writers, and other writing, room to breathe.

lol yeah, no sour grapes there

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Yeah, I was saying to someone that it reminds me of that nasty A.S. Byatt piece, Harry Potter and the Childish Adult, that convinced me that I never wanted to read A.S. Byatt regardless of the quality of HER work.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:43 pm

I've never read anything by Lynn Shepherd but she pretty much just made sure I never will. She is aware that many of us can read more than one thing at a time, right? Or that just because I love the Harry Potter books doesn't mean that's the only thing I'll ever read again? (I've bought my lifetime supply of books--I can't buy any more!) And if she wants to get as much publicity as JK Rowling she should write something that speaks to many generations of people and holds their attentions through solid characters and a vividly imaginative fictional world? What a special snowflake.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:49 pm

So she should quit because she's too successful? Because she's crowding out other books? No, that's just stupid. If I'm looking for a good book, I'll poke around until I find somethng I like. I won't just go for what's popular. But if I'm specifically after a book by X, and it isn't there, I won't pick up a book by Y instead. I'll just walk out of the bookshop. More or less Rowling won't make any difference to what I end up with.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:11 am

And it's not like she's putting out a huge volume of work. Why isn't this woman aiming her ire at Stephen King, or John Grisham, or James Patterson? Because it's not going to get her as much attention.

Also it always pisses me off when someone writes a rant against something while admitting they've never read or seen it. Somehow I'm not going to trust your authority on the issue.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:15 am

The great thing is that Ms Shepherd is now reaping the whirlwind. Check out her Amazon reviews.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:26 am

Yeah, writing an article bitching about books you've never read is just begging for people to do the karmic response of reviewing your books without reading them. The ones I've seen most upvoted just quote her, "I've never read a word so I can't comment on whether the books were good, bad or indifferent. I did think it a shame that adults were reading them, mainly because there's so many other books out there that are surely more stimulating for grown-up minds."

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:09 am

vwlphb wrote:And it's not like she's putting out a huge volume of work. Why isn't this woman aiming her ire at Stephen King, or John Grisham, or James Patterson? Because it's not going to get her as much attention.
Also, they're manly men who write for grown-ups (never mind that most people start reading King in adolescence or that plenty of his protagonists aren't adults yet).
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Here's what happens when you admit in public to professional envy.
Speaking to the Guardian today, Shepherd apologised for upsetting writers and readers alike, explaining that she had "only ever meant to raise the issue of how hard it is for new writers to get noticed and how publishing is much more of a zero sum game than people often think".

"Many writers face the same challenges and frustrations when they're just starting out, and JK Rowling did herself," Shepherd said. "She's been a phenomenal success since then and has millions of fans who are passionate about her books. That's an amazing achievement. With hindsight I'd have written my piece an entirely different way, as I never intended it to upset anyone, and I'm very sorry that it did."
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:26 am

The Silkworm just went out on the iBook store! (And probably every other store, but I'm buying from Apple because Amazon/Hachette.)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:41 pm

I hope JK Rowling finally gets Amazon to break.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:40 am

I was just looking at it on Amazon, and accidentally hit the one click thing and got it for free. It's not part of the Prime thing is it? That would seem weird but it gave it to me for free and the reason just said Promotion.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next