Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snow White and the Huntsman

+27
laurelin_kit
vwlphb
curryalley
Menshevixen
Binky
GoodbyeWithWords
lisalars
punzy
Count_Bloodcount
RiverThames
dreago
Coneycat
jensa
Kiran
bbridges
inversed
Grainne Mhaol
bookworm
whatthedeuce
Skyblade
ActonBell
swsa
Jude
laddical
Cynara
blixie
Luthien
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Snow White and the Huntsman Empty Snow White and the Huntsman

Post  Luthien Thu May 17, 2012 5:33 pm

Is anyone else excited for this movie? It wasn't really on my radar until about 8 million clips started popping up all over the internet, and now I really want to see it. Kristen Stewart has actual facial expressions, and her eyes aren't blank! She doesn't mumble every line! Thor Kirk Chris Hemsworth looks deliciously scruffy, though him swinging an axe rather than a hammer takes some getting used to. And Charlize Theron appears to be having a ball as the Evil Queen. When I first heard about this movie it didn't sound so great, but it looks like they've done something interesting with the fairy tale. I didn't see Mirror Mirror so I don't know how it will compare, but I'll go for Hemsworth if nothing else. The official website has a five-minute preview up.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Snow White and the Huntsman Empty Re: Snow White and the Huntsman

Post  blixie Thu May 17, 2012 6:03 pm

I think at the very least this *looks* great, but what I really came her to ask is does it seem like the new tv spots have been cut and scored to mimic the quiet juxtaposed next to thumping scream in Charlize's other film Prometheus. It just jumped out at me.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Thu May 17, 2012 6:34 pm

I am totally excited to see this. I don't even care how bad it is; I saw Alexander AND Battle: Los Angeles AND Van Helsing in the theater. (As a wise man once said, I've spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocaine powder.) And I may be the one person on earth (outside this board) who not only doesn't mind KStew but actually is kind of looking forward to seeing her as an adult actor in something that doesn't inherently suck.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu May 17, 2012 6:37 pm

I saw Alexander AND Battle: Los Angeles AND Van Helsing in the theater.

So what you're saying is, you're really, really stoked for Battleship this weekend.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Thu May 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Cynara wrote: And I may be the one person on earth (outside this board) who not only doesn't mind KStew but actually is kind of looking forward to seeing her as an adult actor in something that doesn't inherently suck.
Me too. I don't know..I have a soft spot for Kristen, maybe because she gets SO MUCH shit from people on the internet on a regular basis. It just triggers my protective mode, because for example, I've seen countless pictures of her smiling, yet nearly every single comment on every single blog rags on her for her expres​sion(or lack thereof). And if she is smiling, then there's some comment about how they can't believe she's actually smiling. It seems to me that she's trying hard to be less awkward in interviews, and I find that kind of endearing too. Not to mention that everyone who works with her seems to adore her. So...yeah. (I will admit many of her line readings in Twilight make me cringe, but then the script sucked and she was just so earnest about the whole thing, so I can't hate her for that, either.)

All that said, I can't wait for Snow White and the Huntsman -- I just hope it's half as good as it looks, because it looks GREAT!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu May 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Lone voice who thinks it looks pretty crappy. And very conveniently spliced together to try to avoid dialogue, interaction, and bad accents. I also think Kristen looks pretty much like Medieval Bella.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am

I also think Kristen looks pretty much like Medieval Bella.

This is exactly why I will not be going to see this movie. Charlize Theron looks amazing, Chris Hemsworth looks interesting as the huntsman, but I want nothing to do with anything remotely Bella-esque.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 am

I guess that would make it like Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, in that's a somewhat darker, grittier take on a well-known tale with casting that's almost perfect, but with the title character being played by someone miscast but riding a wave. That said, I think it could do well because it's like, the least crappy-looking thing since Avengers.

I'm kind of pissed off by the idea, though. There are plenty of fairy tales, (Some from those weird places outside Europe!) which are much more suited for proactive, badass heroine. But obviously, none of them have the drawing power of "Snow White... as you've never seen her before (yet again)!" I get the studio thinking, I just think it makes the whole thing feel disingenuous. [b]

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat May 19, 2012 5:14 am

I just barely saw the trailer for this when I went to see Dark Shadows, and I thought it was excellent! Charlize Theron is so damn creepy and haunting and malicious, and I just love the macabre, dark vibe of the film. Can't wait to see it!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Sun May 20, 2012 10:17 am

This clip is turning me into a full-blown Snow White/Huntsman shipper. Surely to goodness they won't have Snow White end up with the Prince character, will they? I have only seen the Prince in one clip and if you call your movie Snow White and the Huntsman, shouldn't they end up together in the end? I read a Snow White retelling novel that had Snow and the Huntsman run away together; it's a good idea. I'm getting to quite like that song in the trailer, too.

I guess that would make it like Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, in that's a somewhat darker, grittier take on a well-known tale with casting that's almost perfect, but with the title character being played by someone miscast but riding a wave.

Yes, that's exactly what this movie reminds me of! I love RH: PoT, but Costner is definitely the weak link. Maybe Stewart will be better, but if nothing else Theron and Hemsworth likely will carry the movie through, like Morgan Freeman and Alan Rickman did for Robin Hood.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Saw it this afternoon and I liked it. It was really over the top, but at least it was committed to being over the top. I was torn between shipping SW/Huntsman and SW/William (Prince Charming). Go with the Duke! He isn't emotionally damaged!

I do feel like there was a mythology missing from the movie. There was a lot of the magic stuff that didn't make sense.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 pm

I saw it today - thought it was visually amazing, but there was something lacking for me. It sort of petered out towards the end, as if they sort of ran out of ideas. It was weird that, for all the talk about Snow White having the purest heart, there was no real pay-off. It just turned into a knock-down, drag-out fight at the end. What I was missing was a catharsis for Snow's character. She spent the whole thing varying between weeping and being badass, but never was there an indication of what would make her a good leader - except in contrast to the evil Queen. She gives a good speech, but in terms of a symbol for a rebellion, she's not exactly the Mockingjay.

Also - total waste of Chris Hemsworth. I was hoping for a proper shirtless scene at least. I also can't help but wonder if he's going to contractually obliged to swing large weapons in every film from how on.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:57 pm

Yeah I felt the same way. I liked the action and the visuals, but the plot seemed to take a back seat. I still enjoyed it, and thought Charlize Theron did a great job of adding gravitas to what would have easily devolved into silliness.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:00 pm

I didn't hate it. It would have benefited from being about a half-hour shorter, and having someone other than Kristen Stewart in the lead. I mean, no amount of suspension of disbelief could make me believe Stewart's Snow White could ever defeat Charlize Theron's fantastic Queen. Everyone kept telling us how beautiful and pure and inspiring she was, but I didn't buy it. In the end I was just waiting to see more of the Queen.

On the other hand, Charlize Theron was amazing, the special effects and atmosphere were great, and Chris Hemsworth is hot.

Finally, is there some myth about >>
Spoiler:
or was that just a big ol' rip-off of Princess Mononoke? Those fairies were awfully reminiscent of the kodama, too.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:59 am

This movie has three credited writers and I think it really shows. There are a few different movies fighting here and since none of them win it is kind of a mess. Snow says a real world prayer
Spoiler:
but otherwise it takes place in fairy land. The Queen has been doing this for centuries but no one clued in the Snow's father.
Spoiler:
I can't tell if the love triangle was half baked on purpose because it didn't matter or if it was just poorly written. I did like that it wasn't a big deal though and that
Spoiler:

I did like the visuals. Charlize's costumes were great. There should have been a lot more Kristen Stewart in armor leading an army though. That would have been cool.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:23 am

I like Kristen Stewart but I thought she was the weak link. Otherwise I liked this movie. It was fun. That is all I really wanted from it. Also I was not torn with the love triangle. William seemed nice enough but he ...was just kinda there.

Spoiler:
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:51 am

It was an enjoyable movie, but Snow White herself was rather bland. That wasn't Kristen Stewart's fault; she actually does some decent acting and I forgot about Bella after the first few minutes, but Snow White isn't given a great deal of personality. The other half of the title, the Huntsman, was very interesting. I liked the character and his backstory, and it certainly didn't hurt that it was Chris Hemsworth and his blue eyes onscreen.

The love triangle was probably not necessary. <<
Spoiler:
>>

When we left the theatre, my mother said "I don't know if I've been watching the Avengers, Joan of Arc, or Lord of the Rings!" And this is definitely the Year of the Archer: Katniss, Hawkeye, the upcoming Brave, and William in this movie is an expert bowman. There was potential for a better movie here, but for what it was, it was fun.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:09 am

Apparently the cast is signed up for two more movies. I don't know how they would do that but its actually something I would probably see. This movie was far from perfect but I liked the world they set up and it would be nice to see a series with a proactive female heroine.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:09 pm

We gave it a big Meh. There were good parts and weird parts. Its one of those movies I was rewriting in my head. It may have a lot to do with the fact that I don't like Kristen Stewart.

Charlize Theron was really good, and so were the dwarves. Other than that, meh.
jensa
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:26 pm

I went with a friend, and we both leaned toward each other at the same moment and whispered,

Spoiler:

We sensed a definitely LOTR-lite vibe through parts of it, and a kind of hallucinogenic vibe through other bits. There were elements of the story that never seemed to link up to anything else, and half the time I was at least as confused as Chris Hemsworth looked. (Seriously, that man gives good Confused Face.) Kristin Stewart seemed wrong for the part, somehow-- I boggled every time her sweetness and innocence was referenced, because she looked like she'd stick a knife in you, no trouble.

And the fact I find Charlize Theron far fairer than Stewart didn't help either. What the hell, Mirror?

All of this sounds like I thought much harder about the movie than I really did. I really didn't, and I mostly enjoyed it, but I had to stifle a few guffaws that weren't intended by the movie.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:31 pm

And the fact I find Charlize Theron far fairer than Stewart didn't help either. What the hell, Mirror?

That Mirror is obviously a lying liar. Even Stephen Colbert told Charlize (when she was on his show): "But you're so much prettier than the vampire girl!" It makes no sense.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Well they stressed her purity and innocence not her beauty. So I think they were talking about inner fairness.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:43 am

Again, I thought Stewart looked like she would definitely stick a knife in you, so that was another point of disconnect for me. She just felt miscast to me.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:21 am

I think Stewart looked best when she was under the spell and laid out on the bier. Of course, that scene is the best in the whole movie since it's the Huntsman's big moment. That sounds awful for poor Stewart: the best part of the movie is when she's not doing anything! But I don't mean it that way. There was some brief applause in the theatre when Snow White woke up. Stewart's so dirty the rest of the movie it's hard to judge, but then, I've never thought Theron was drop-dead gorgeous. She's beautiful and is probably prettier than Stewart but one's dark and one's fair and it's a more difficult call for me. (And really, isn't Chris Hemsworth the fairest of all?) I thought the dirt was quite realistic: when Snow White reached out to touch the white hart, her fingernails were dirty.

I wish the movie had been more clear on
Spoiler:

I suspect there's a lot of this movie on the cutting room floor. I hope there's an extended cut when the DVD comes out.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Coneycat wrote:Kristin Stewart seemed wrong for the part, somehow-- I boggled every time her sweetness and innocence was referenced, because she looked like she'd stick a knife in you, no trouble.

I haven't seen the movie yet, and I really do like Kristen Stewart, but this seems like a valid criticism to me. I think I could believe her more as a badass warrior than as a pure-hearted innocent. But I'm probably going to see the movie this weekend, so I'll see how I feel about it then.

I do think Kristen is extremely pretty, even if she's not quite so beautiful as Charlize. I'm sure she knows that herself, and I'm also sure that she knows that's what people are saying about her. I do feel bad for her...I can't help it. People seem to loathe her SO much, like out of proportion, almost, and yet everyone who's worked with her seems to adore her. I do understand not liking an actor for whatever reason -- I feel like that myself about certain actors -- but I guess I just don't get the vitriol she seems to inspire.

Still looking forward to seeing this, but my expectations have been greatly lowered. Maybe that's a good thing.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next