Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+63
ActonBell
alexdegenhardt
biakbiak
mandalaya
Gilraen
queenofdenile
Shadowlass
mo pie
emrie
RiverThames
punzy
Snarryfan
Gillian
rivki8699
Kiran
BreezyK
eventide82
dionneshea
big chicken
Red Wolf
laddical
PineappleGirl
Carrie Ann
Wildog27
Crackie
Gallifrey Girl
stargirl
VodouDoll
Poubelle
particle_person
mialoubug
mayram
ulkis
Instant Monkeys
QueenSix
Unlucky Bear
Tabby
mokey75
snorf
Jude
Kookla
themis
Putli Bai
Coneycat
Bad Username
choubetcha
RubyTuesday
killershrew
puddingcup
dinahmoe
Swarley
sagitare
salamandersam
katesti
gannetguts
inversed
Raksha
The Glen
naughty zoot
whatthedeuce
Crowbridge
MaddyCat
Algae
67 posters

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25

Go down

Current Reads - Page 25 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Tabby Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:46 am

Ah, I see. Still looks interesting. I'm a sucker for Holmes, too, so I'm glad to have another book on my radar.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:58 am

The first five books in The Expanse series: Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, Abaddon's Gate, Cibola Burn, and Nemesis Games, by James S.A. Corey, a two-person team. The first two books have been made into a TV series. I don't know what channel they air on in the US, but in Australia and the UK they're on Netflix, and the third season is being filmed now. These books are so. good., and the fifth book in particular is mind-blowing. I just couldn't believe the authors went to that place. IDK if anyone needs or wants a synopsis, but here goes: it's a sci-fi series set a couple of hundred years in the future when the moon and Mars have been colonised, and people also live and work on the Jovian moons and the asteroid belt. When the story opens there is political conflict between Mars, Earth, and the people who live on the asteroid belt, and then an alien life form is thrown into the mix. I highly recommend this series, even if you don't think sci-fi is your thing. One of the authors was George R.R. Martin's assistant, and I think it shows in the complexity of the plot and the strong characterisation.

I've also been reading Warm Worlds and Otherwise by James Tiptree Jr, a pseudonym for Alice Sheldon. It's a collection of sci-fi short stories that were initially published under a male name because she couldn't get published as herself (insert giant Liz Lemon eyeroll here). In the foreward it's noted that as suspicion grew that Tiptree Jr was actually a woman, a male reviewer said that couldn't be true because the writing was too masculine. A lot of the stories are grim, almost misanthropic. 'The Screwfly Solution' is a good scary Halloween read if you're still in that mindset. On Facebook Putli Bai pointed out that it's like the next step after The Handmaid's Tale. Really creepy stuff.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:31 am

I really liked the first two Expanse books. But the third, I seriously
Spoiler:
So I had to stop reading. Which is a pity, because I like the relatively low-tech approach to space opera.

However, I also found the attitude towards homosexuality to be a little old fashioned. In the first two books, there seemed to be exactly one gay character with their sexuality presented as somewhat odd and amusing. No minor characters, no nameless extras. It felt a bit odd, considering some other progressive views.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 pm

In subsequent books I found there were minor characters who were gay and it was presented as no big deal, so maybe an editor pointed out what you noticed in the first couple of books. Book three was also a bit frustrating for the reason you mentioned, and I felt like the authors were trying to up their word count by dragging the story out, it was pretty annoying. I recommend trying book 4 and 5, but I know it can be annoying when people try to push stuff they like on you. Book 4 really narrowed down the focus for a reason I can't get into without giving a spoiler, and then book 5 widened it out again. I haven't read book 6 yet, but obviously it's going to deal with the consequences of book 5's plot.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Yeah, I might just. From the Wikipedia summary, some interesting things do happen further along. That said, I remember reading book one and the big big twist. I was actually a little let down. I enjoyed the mundanity of the first half, rather than the big cosmic weirdness. Still, that obviously wasn't a dealbreaker, so maybe I should just get book 3 from the library and skim through it.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Bad Username wrote:I've also been reading Warm Worlds and Otherwise by James Tiptree Jr, a pseudonym for Alice Sheldon.

The book title is actually Her Smoke Rose Up Forever, Warm Worlds and Otherwise is another short story collection of hers, I got the two mixed up.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 am

I'm reading Water Isaacson's bio of Leonardo da Vinci, and it's fantastic. I like Isaacson's work in general, and, of course, Leonardo is fascinating. The only problem is that it's a doorstop of a book, and I'm afraid I'm going to throw out my back lugging it around to read on the bus. Highly recommended if you like biography.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Bad Username, due to your mention on FB, I dug up a collection with "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas". Wow. That was the most beautiful, horrifying, moving short story.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Yeah, it left me disturbed for a while.

I recently read The Thorn of Dentonhill by one Mr. Marshall Ryan Maresca, and really enjoyed it. I can't wait to read more of the books in that world.

I'm currently reading The Witches: Salem, 1962, A History by Stacy Schiff. As the title suggests, it's about the hysterical witch-hunt in Salem in 1962, and the author's attempt to wrangle some kind of truth out of the sources, which are scarce. She points out early that in general the Puritans were meticulous record-keepers, but there are next to no primary sources for that year. I'm only a couple of chapters in, but it's great so far.

In an attempt to read more non-fiction I've started on Livy's The History of Rome. I think I'll be reading this one pretty slowly.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:17 am

I just finished Girl Waits With Gun by Amy Stewart (a fictionalized story about real-life Constance Kopp, one of the first female deputy sheriffs in America) and really enjoyed it.

Am now carrying on my reread of the Aubrey/Maturin novels and am on The Far Side Of the World. I recently read an article arguing that HBO should make this series their first post-Game of Thrones big project. For that, I would get HBO!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25