Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+86
xyzzy
RubyTuesday
salamandersam
allochthonous
emrie
Coneycat
Lurker
Paris, Texas
Jamie
sagitare
maxell131313
Carrie Ann
Poubelle
swsa
The Glen
Rhilin
SarahJanet
Gillian
laddical
Francie Nolan
pinguerin
Luciano
sen3
blixie
mayram
Gilraen
vwlphb
aninnocent
chibimanda
darthtall
bookworm
Pop'n'Fresh
draco vulgaris
Disclaimer
rivki8699
Gallifrey Girl
choubetcha
Tabby
naughty zoot
QueenSix
Genevieve
mialoubug
punzy
snorf
ariadne
dinahmoe
Me Talk Pretty
eventide82
Putli Bai
Swarley
EggSpreader
Binky
Cynara
gannetguts
Algae
stargirl
Red Wolf
Dachelle
MaddyCat
SelfAmused
ulkis
epudom
puddingcup
Jasmine
katesti
queenofdenile
Kiran
inversed
mixtape
paradig_m
Raksha
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Kookla
particle_person
Bad Username
VodouDoll
mokey75
Menshevixen
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
Instant Monkeys
Jude
bbridges
Shadowlass
Crowbridge
90 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads Empty Current Reads

Post  Crowbridge Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm reading Jane Eyre for the first time, and I'm enjoying it. It's a bit more goth-y than I expected, but you can't put it down.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Current Reads Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Shadowlass Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:02 pm

On vacation this year I discovered Meljean Brook's "Iron Seas" steampunk romance series. Holy hell, they're good. I love her heroines, and her heroes are awesome, too.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:08 pm

I love the "Iron Seas" so much! I push everyone I know to read them. I absolutely cannot wait for Riveted.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Only a few more days!

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Just finished Gone Girl, which kept me compulsively reading way into the night (it didn't help that some impatient...person...recalled it on me two days after I received it from Interlibrary loan -- AUGGHHH!!! SMH!!-- so I had to read it FAST). Anyway, I thought it was great, the characters were so repulsive yet fascinating at the same time.

I understand that a lot of people were upset at the ending, but I thought it kind of fit right in. Has anyone read Gillian Flynn's other books? I'm wondering if I should check those out as well.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 pm

I have, and I really liked both of them. I think I preferred Dark Places to Sharp Objects, but they were both good.

Man, that's not how recalling is supposed to work! Aren't you supposed to have a week or something at least even if it gets recalled right away? What if the book is so popular there's a waiting list for it? Those people all WANT it but that doesn't mean you should have only two days to read it, sheesh.

I'm reading War and Peace. Yep. It is...pretty good so far, actually. I'm a little intimidated, of course, by how long it is, but I have it on the Kindle (thank god...the book weighs like 800 pounds and after two days of lugging it to work I was done) so the amount I have left is just a number at the bottom. I'm at 20%. I have to confess to being pretty fuzzy on a lot of what's going on on the battlefield. But I'm muddling through and I think I'm getting most of it. It doesn't help that they keep randomly speaking French and then I (most of the time...I speak some French but not enough to catch everything) have to click to the footnote to find out what they're saying.

I must say, though, that his descriptions of people's interactions are pretty spot-on and awesome. Overall it's far less of a chore than I anticipated it being. It'll still probably take me like a month to finish it though.

Last edited by Instant Monkeys on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:48 pm

I did have a week, but only received notice that it was recalled when I had five days left. I did read it in two days, but I'm holding on to it until the last day. Because apparently I am a spiteful bitch that way. Hee.

Edited to add: You know, when I want a book, I check out how long the person has had it before me, and if they've had it less than a month, then I don't recall it. I wait. But I think my co-workers and I (who all do the same thing) are the exceptions not the rule when it comes to interlibrary loans.

Last edited by Jude on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 pm

This is a repeat of a post in the Audiobooks thread but this is a really great deal and I want people to take advantage of it. Amazon/Audible has 27 audiobooks for free. These are classic novels read by some well known names like Jim Dale (he read the HP audiobooks), David Hype Pierce, and Alfred Molina. You need to first buy the ebook, which is free, and then there is a link at the thank you page taking you to Audible.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks so much, big chicken! That really is a great deal!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:11 pm

If I buy the ebook on my Kindle, is there any way I can transfer the audiobook to my iPod?
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:14 pm

The audiobook is from Audible so you can put it on an iPod. From Audible, you can send it to your Kindle or download it to your computer.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 am

At last I have obtained a copy of Code Name Verity. All I want to do is read it, but unfortunately I have to go to work and eat and things.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Enjoy, Menshevixen!

I read Before I Go To Sleep over the weekend. I liked it, but in retrospect I'm annoyed with myself for not putting it all together sooner.
Spoiler:

I am also (still) reading The Women, but I am kind of bored to tears by it. There's entirely too much Miriam, and she's just not an interesting or sympathetic character. And, obviously, neither is Frank. I'm debating just returning it to the library at this point.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Last week I finished The Impostor's Daughter by Laurie Sandell. It wasn't great. There are lots of more thoughtful, nuanced graphic memoirs out there. I wouldn't recommend it.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:35 pm

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin, the first book in a fantasy trilogy. The main character is the daughter of an outcast member of the royal family, and she is called back to the palace and named heir. She has two rival heirs in her cousins, and no idea how to 'play the game', so to speak. This contest between the MC and her cousins takes place alongside a power struggle between the kingdom's gods, most of whom have been imprisoned in human bodies as a punishment for a rebellion against the main sky god. I absolutely loved it, the language was kind of formal but the story moved fast enough I didn't get bogged down in flowery pretentiousness, and there's some weird misty tentacle sex in it. So, thumbs up all round, really.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:33 am

Yes, Jemisin! I love The Inheritance Trilogy so much. Really need to get the first of the books in her newer series.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:10 pm

I've got book 2 waiting for me at the library, I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime I'm reading Redshirts, by John Scalzi. It's great fun, I'm loving every word.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:42 am

I left my Kindle at home today. So naturally I reacted totally non-disproportionately by going to the bookstore at lunch and buying TWO new books to tide me over. (In my defense it was a class night and there and back can sometimes be as long as two hours. I NEEDED TO READ.) I got In the Woods by Tana French, which I'm super excited about, and on a whim State of Wonder by Ann Patchett, which I surprised myself by deciding to read first. So far it is really good. Sorry, War and Peace. I'll get back to you soon.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:15 am

If I were that bookstore, I would offer to "babysit" people's kindles. While they look around the store. For a minute. Don't forget to pick your kindle up when you go, or you might have to make a return trip, Ms. Monkeys!
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:12 am

I thought In the Woods was a super fantastic, dark and mature detective story. Was not so much a fan of the second one, The Likeness. Has anyone read the third one?

I am STILL waiting for Gone Girl. I am number 40 in the library queue, which is just stupid. I'm thinking I might just suck it up and buy it.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am

Ooooh, the third Tana French book Faithful Place is my FAVORITE of her works. It is fully self-contained (unlike the first two) and seems a lot deeper and more mature than the first two. I read her 4th book Broken Harbor earlier this summer and was kind of disappointed. It seemed like a retread, especially of In The Woods.

One thing that is interesting is that ITW and Broken Harbor explore partner dynamics, whereas The Likeness and FP are more about lone wolf types. I like the partner dynamics stories better, but I felt that The Likeness and FP were actually better written because she concentrated so much on the one character. So YMMV.

I just got Gone Girl from the library (I was like 70th on the list too Kookla!) and so far it is definitely a page turner. Hard to put down when I get to work!

I really ended up liking State of Wonder, when I read it earlier this summer. It reminded me quite a bit of Bel Canto, which was the book that made me fall in love with Patchett in the first place.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:20 am

Tana French's books always leave me cold and disappointed in the end. The writing is fantastic, but the wrap-up always seems unsatisfying and somehow rushed or stilted. I still like her writing enough to try Broken Harbor though.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:44 pm

Today I finished The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk by Randy Shilts, which was fantastic. I've always found Harvey Milk inspiring, but I respect him even more now. The author didn't shy away from Milk's personality flaws, so that made him feel more like a real person to me. And he was a real person, who managed to organize and galvanize so many people on behalf of the marginalized and the small local concerns. And if that real, flawed person could do that, the rest of us don't have to be super-special saints among men to build on that legacy.

Then after I finished that book, I started reading Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler and I gave up on it about 1/3 of the way through. All of the blurbs on the book and the reviews that I've read kept calling the book "charming" and "touching," but I don't find anything charming or touching about 1800s-style racism and sexism, racially-motivated murders, the horrible abuse of asylum patients, and the Victorian fad of torturing and killing animals for fun and fashion. Bleh.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  paradig_m Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:18 am

I'm reading Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar, a compilation of responses penned by Cheryl Strayed (author of Wild, which I found a bit lacking) under the pseudonym "Sugar" for The Rumpus's online advice column; the book also includes some previously-unpublished material and a thoughtful foreword by Steve Almond.

It's really, really good. Many of the questions are complex, and most of Sugar's responses are raw, dazzling, breathtaking, and extremely therapeutic. It's not light reading as it delves into difficult subjects like sexual abuse, loss, and grief, sometimes seemingly out of nowhere, but it takes the "agony aunt" genre to another level.

I definitely recommend this book.

paradig_m

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:41 am

I think I saw a review for that in Entertainment Weekly a few months ago, and it sounded refreshing for an advice column compilation. You've made it sound even better, paradig_m, so I'm definitely adding ti to my list!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next