Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+105
Wildog27
Dachelle
dreago
laddical
mo pie
mayram
pamchenko
biakbiak
swsa
xyzzy
Luciano
sagitare
Gillian
draco vulgaris
PrincessCleo
RubyTuesday
Lurker
ariadne
Gilraen
Vmars123
Binky
ulkis
Escape
Shadowlass
mialoubug
Luthien
Auroura76
Morning Angel
dday515
MLIS
Esseilte
Genevieve
Cynara
allochthonous
Raised by wolves
ActonBell
SelfAmused
Disclaimer
Carrie Ann
Jude
Corellderaan
MaddyCat
leone
Me Talk Pretty
midnight radio
jstilwe
Francie Nolan
Ceci
subie5
SarahJanet
stargirl
Red Wolf
Tabby
schwa
Crowbridge
Gallifrey Girl
particle_person
Matinee
puddingcup
gannetguts
Poubelle
QueenSix
Kookla
Swarley
jcpdiesel21
BreezyK
eventide82
Scarlettfish
The Lady of Shalott
epudom
Paris, Texas
paablish
inversed
blooey
Menshevixen
caerbannog
Raksha
whatthedeuce
curryalley
choubetcha
maxell131313
laurelin_kit
Grainne Mhaol
emrie
tothemax
bbridges
Bad Username
mokey75
Algae
Cutebutpsycho
VodouDoll
Instant Monkeys
Queen Esther
punzy
RiverThames
Kiran
katesti
big chicken
Putli Bai
naughty zoot
queenofdenile
Jessica
alexdegenhardt
Unlucky Bear
Jasmine
109 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads Empty Current Reads

Post  Jasmine Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Let's build this puppy back up! What is everyone reading? I just finished A Brief History of Montmaray, which is a YA book that reminded me of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society -- it's not as good as that book, but it has the same feel and is from the same general era (right before WWII instead of during), and is set on a tiny island. In this book, the tiny island isn't a real one, and it's about the impoverished royalty who live on that island, all of whom are teenagers except for the crazy PTSD stricken King. Lots of fun.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Current Reads Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Unlucky Bear Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:42 pm

I just finished all of Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey novels in like, two weeks, and really enjoyed them. The books are so not my usual style, but cheesy and fun nonetheless.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  alexdegenhardt Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:32 pm

I recently finished Caitlin Moran's "How to be a woman". I highly recommend it, because I laughed so much during it that my stomach hurt. There are parts that are more serious too. I feel like she managed to capture many of my own experiences, just way funnier. All in all just a good read about how it is to be a woman.
alexdegenhardt
alexdegenhardt

http://alexdegenhardt.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Jasmine, there is a sequel to the Montmaray book called...The FitzOsbournes in Exile, I think? Something like that. Anyway, I thought it was great -- superior to the first. If you liked the first at all, I think you'd really like the second.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Jessica wrote:Jasmine, there is a sequel to the Montmaray book called...The FitzOsbournes in Exile, I think? Something like that. Anyway, I thought it was great -- superior to the first. If you liked the first at all, I think you'd really like the second.

Yeah, I think I saw that on Goodreads or Amazon or something, yay. I'm glad I saw that before finishing the book, because otherwise I would have been upset that it ended like that (not that the ending is bad or cliffhangery, it's just set up for a sequel). I'm excited for the next one!

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:01 pm

I finally got around to Bossypants and read it in one day. My favorite parts were Tina's chapters on body issues and the frequent references to how awesome Amy Poehler is. I also liked her compliments of Donald Glover.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:37 pm

I am absolutely loving "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. It takes place 30 years from now and the world is not a delightful place, so most people spend most of their time immersed in a huge virtual reality system that encompasses thousands of virtual worlds. You can hang out on a Ringworld planet, a Discworld planet, or a planet named Gygax. And so on. The creator of this system, who was obsessed with the 1980s, has died and left a series of encrypted puzzles. The first person to solve them all wins his entire fortune. It is chock-full of 80s pop culture, science fiction, movie and gaming references. It has a vague Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feel to it as the protagonist is a poor kid who hopes to be the one out of billions to win the prize. I'm amazed it's a first novel.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:54 pm

zoot that does sound good! I'm going to see if my library has it.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Jasmine wrote:
Jessica wrote:Jasmine, there is a sequel to the Montmaray book called...The FitzOsbournes in Exile, I think? Something like that. Anyway, I thought it was great -- superior to the first. If you liked the first at all, I think you'd really like the second.

Yeah, I think I saw that on Goodreads or Amazon or something, yay. I'm glad I saw that before finishing the book, because otherwise I would have been upset that it ended like that (not that the ending is bad or cliffhangery, it's just set up for a sequel). I'm excited for the next one!

Michelle Cooper has just sent the last book in the trilogy to her publishers and she says it's going to be twice as long as the first book. And there is kissing and several weddings.

I'm sort of in a readng rut at the moment but right now I'm reading Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols. Fluffly YA chicklit.

Last edited by big chicken on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm reading The Princess Bride for only about the second time. I'd forgotten how very very wonderful the book is as its own entity. The backstories of Fezzik and Inigo in particular are such a great addition, and I love Goldman's asides about the abridgements he made.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:21 am

That's one of my top five favorite books (the movie is of course fab and we all know that). I think I first read it when I was ten or so and I read it every couple of years. I have the re release with that Buttercup's baby chapter. Goldman is such a troll. Just in general. I remember for five years when I read that I totally thought Morgenstern was real, that Goldman had a son, that Florin was a country. In fact I think I found out when I was 16 or so on the fametracker boards. I felt both stupid and devastated.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:27 am

So is Ready Player One all that? I had gotten some sense that it was more Buzz Than Substance. I know the author got a ridiculously huge deal, the kind that means he must also get major marketing, and it is a great Buzz Concept. But I'm skeptical.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:36 am

I enjoyed it. I would say it is a fun read, particularly if you enjoy things from the 80s. It's not a great work of literature or anything.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:41 am

I would say it is a fun read
Yeah. It's not going to win a Pulitzer or anything, but I'm finding it a whole lotta fun. My husband read it first and he kept staying up way past his bedtime reading. He also understood way more of the gaming references than I do.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen Esther Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:55 am

Kiran wrote:That's one of my top five favorite books (the movie is of course fab and we all know that). I think I first read it when I was ten or so and I read it every couple of years. I have the re release with that Buttercup's baby chapter. Goldman is such a troll. Just in general. I remember for five years when I read that I totally thought Morgenstern was real, that Goldman had a son, that Florin was a country. In fact I think I found out when I was 16 or so on the fametracker boards. I felt both stupid and devastated.

Whem I was 14, I totally believed that shit about Stephen King doing Buttercup's Baby and being Florinese. SUCH a troll.

Queen Esther

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:57 am

Just finished Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. I feel kind of wiped out now.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:10 am

I read Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus and thought it was fun. It reminded me so much of seeing Sleep No More, even with the design of some of the rooms showing up in the circus tents, and then in the acknowledgements at the end she said that she'd seen SNM a lot while writing the book.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:14 am

I just finished Snuff, which was prime Pratchett. Sam Vimes continues to be awesome and lovely and there's nothing like taking a cop and forcing him to go on vacation in the country for hijinks to ensue.

Per, Gen's recommendation, I'm now reading The Mysterious Benedict Society. I amused that with children's books, it seems like if you're going for mystery and adventure, everything sounds a bit more English to me.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:52 pm

I just finished the two books in the Spiritwalker trilogy by Kate Elliot. Here's the description
Read an Afro-Celtic post-Roman icepunk Regency fantasy adventure with airships, Phoenician spies, the intelligent descendents of troodons, and a dash of steampunk whose gas lamps can be easily doused by the touch of a powerful cold mage.

It is a bit crackers but awesome. I do wish authors would only release trilogies all together. Sigh, waiting.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:17 pm

I saw that Unshelved reviewed Ready Player One and got it from the library for my husband. He basically didn't talk to me for a week while he spend every spare minute reading it. Mr. Algae isn't a reader, but he is an 80s geek and he really liked this.

Plankton has seemingly begun reading overnight, so we've read books by David Shannon (which he read out loud to his whole class one day!) and some Spongebob Phonics books lately.

I've spent the last month working on a cross-stitch for my cousin's wedding gift, so I've not really read anything new.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm about half-way through Divergent. It's not bad, but I think I'd like it better if I hadn't read Delirium a couple of months ago. Tris is kind of dopey, and there's been more than one occasion when I wanted to shake some sense into her.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:30 pm

I just finished reading Fahrenheit 451 (for the first time, shamefully), and really enjoyed it. I do find it mildly irritating though that science fiction writers of previous generations could imagine all sorts of futures except one in which women have roles to play outside the home.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:11 pm

I recently read The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook and it was so great. It's set in Victorian England but an England that has just been freed from the control of the Horde, Mongols who conquered Europe using nanotechnology. It sounds kind of goofy but it really works in the book and I loved the characters, especially the main character Mina Wentworth, who is a police inspector. I can't wait for the next book (it comes out in November) but the first book stands alone.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:23 pm

HBO's adaption of Game of Thrones has gotten me hooked on the books. I liked the first book well enough, but found a lot of it boring because I knew the major plot points. I'm completely hooked on A Clash of Kings, though.

Has anyone read any of the Inheritance books by Christopher Paolini? Amazon keeps recommending them but I trust your opinions much more.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:22 pm

From what I understand they are rehashed Tolkien written by a 15 year old. I know a few people who read them, but they were not very positive about the books.

My copy of Snuff came in the mail! Now I just have to get through work so I can devour it.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next