Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Playing At a Theater Near You

+37
dionneshea
vwlphb
eventide82
bookworm
inversed
Fiammetta
Carrie Ann
naughty zoot
sagitare
Binky
Bad Username
Grainne Mhaol
mrinsouciance
Jude
mialoubug
emrie
blixie
The Glen
wenchsenior
punzy
Sheli
Snarryfan
whatthedeuce
jstilwe
QueenSix
Cynara
BrightEyes
killershrew
TiffanyNichelle
FiggyPudding
big chicken
mayram
RiverThames
Red Wolf
Gillian
laddical
salamandersam
41 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 2 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  eventide82 Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:34 pm

Spy was really funny, wasn't it? Jason Statham was hilarious, but I also realyl enjoyed the casting of Miranda Hart as her friend. She's such a funny lady.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 2 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  jstilwe Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:39 pm

I really need to talk about Magic Mike XXL, but I'm not sure I have the words yet. Suffice it to say I now what's it's like to have seen a fan-service-y movie for straight women, and it is glorious.

I have never been so squarely in the middle of a target demographic. Hot guys dancing to "Pony," "Closer," and D'Angelo's "Untitled (How Does It Feel)"? YES. Celebrating the sexuality and agency of women of all ages, colors, and sizes? Absolutely. Self-aware hot dudes who hold strong opinions about Florida boy bands? Totally. Road trip shenanigans and respectful interactions with drag queens? The best.

They ensured I will own this on blu-ray when Matt Bomer did a routine to "Untitled (How Does It Feel)," because I am deeply shallow, but I loved this movie for its inclusiveness and good natured love of all ladies.

Oh and did I mention that Jada Pinkett and Channing Tatum together is hot like fire?

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:56 pm

On that last part, did you mean Jada and Channing being in the same film together is hot, or that they actually hook up in the movie? Because I will pay good money to see those two banter and swap spit and any number of other potentially awesome things could go on between them.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:08 pm

Then you might want to head to the theater asap!

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:46 pm

Oh goodness. My heart is so excited. Bless you and your review, my child.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:07 pm

Magic Mike XXL really is as much fun as jstilwe described. The interactions between the guys is great, Jada Pinkett Smith is amazing, and the dancing is Day-Um. Also--the best vogue battle since Paris is Burning.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:08 am

Magic Mike XXL was indeed fabulous.  One of my best friends and I left our daughters at home with their dads and saw the movie on July 4th.  Apparently most people go see fireworks on that day or something?  Because the theater was mostly empty, which made me feel less embarrassed when I laughed so hard I cried at
Spoiler:
 The movie knew its audience, was incredibly self-aware, celebrated all body types, and was just amazing.  The only thing I didn't like was that they
Spoiler:

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:30 am

The best review for Magic Mike XXL described it as Paris is Burning for straight white men because of its theme of performing 'real-ness.'

It was worth admission just for Joe Mangianello saying "fucking vampire bullshit." Hee

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:42 pm

Sheli, have you seen the 1st one? They do the fireman/Tarzan/Ken doll routines in that one, also Pony! Just skip the non-stripping parts if you don't want to be depressed.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Ha, punzy, I have seen it, yes. I just wanted to see more. I'm selfish. I'm a selfish Magic Mike fangirl. I am not ashamed.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Snarryfan wrote:It was worth admission just for Joe Mangianello saying "fucking vampire bullshit." Hee
The whole Twilight strip routine was such a hilarious tease. I really hope there's an extended version of it on the Blu-Ray that I will own as soon as it is possible to own.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:16 pm

laddical wrote:I was interested in it as a terribad '70s disaster homage, but then I saw Carlton Cuse's name as the writer and even though he hasn't done nearly as much in the way of destroying promising projects as Damon (infinite string of profanities) Lindelof, it was enough to kill even the mild interest I had.

And I don't even hate Lost. It's just that everything else Lindelof has done sucked so much that all I can think is that Cuse also sucks and yet somehow their combined suckage semi-inverted on itself and came out with a better-than-decent series overall. Which means that as a solo act, Cuse is also someone to avoid.

Heh. It's been a long time since I checked this thread, but I remember something like 2 years ago when the first rumors of the Tomorrowland project kept circulating, and I kept noticing it, get excited, and then seeing Lindelof's name and going "FUCK, never mind". But then I'd forget about it for a while, and then RE-notice, see 'Lindelof' and get disappointed all over again. So it disappointed me multiple times without me ever seeing it LOL.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:06 pm

I saw Amy, the documentary about Amy Winehouse, at the weekend.

The good part about it was that, when it focused on her musicianship, she came across as hilarious, intelligent and with a deep knowledge of music. Unfortunately, the documentary was mostly about her public life, and the music was, for the most part, there just to chart the rise and fall narrative. The paparazzi footage was something everyone had seen already, and it had nothing new or insightful to show (although I appreciate the way it made the viewer feel extremely uncomfortable). I resented the way it picked apart every aspect of her private life, and I resented the way it presented her death for maximum emotional impact.

It's not the first documentary I've come across recently that has manipulated the viewer in this way instead of presenting an insightful, informative story, and it really rubs me up the wrong way.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:48 am

Finally saw Magic Mike XXL and found it to be an utter DELIGHT from beginning to end. I even loved Amber Heard y'all, it felt like she was kind of playing herself: boho bisexual chick with frustrated professional aspirations. Heh.

I loved that the sequel dispensed with plot and took the time to really develop the guys characters, and that none of the guys was Alex fucking Pettyfer. I thought the chemistry between Jada/Channing was INSANE. It was weirdly moving to see a movie focus so much on female desire and really allow them to revel in it, and to show that women of all shapes/sizes/colors/ages are deserving of that kind of devotion/attention.

On that note I loved that all the women in the strip scenes...no one seemed to be "acting", not even AH in the final mind blowing striptease with tWitch/CT, she seemed so genuinely shocked and delighted by everything they were doing. Anyway yeah awesome, and now I have to see it again. OH and Michael Strahain I did not know you had that IN you.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:11 pm

I just saw Trainwreck. It was quite funny, although more serious than I'd expected. The plot wandered a bit but I mostly really liked it and I love love love Bill Hader. He's really quite a talented actor, and so attractive in a quirky way!

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:31 pm

I saw Mr. Holmes today. I thought it was well done, and Sir Ian was really good. All the characters brought the feels, and the little boy did a good job of not being annoying.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:27 pm

OK, I enjoy the hell out of the Mission Impossible movies, but....

Not REALLY a spoiler, but...:

Also, I appreciated--
Also not really a spoiler, but just in case:

Last edited by RiverThames on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:18 am

We watched Jurassic World yesterday. It was okay, I expected a bit more cheesiness, for some reason, so I came away feeling like it could have been a bit funnier.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:42 pm

bookworm wrote:I saw Mr. Holmes today.  I thought it was well done, and Sir Ian was really good.  All the characters brought the feels, and the little boy did a good job of not being annoying.

I loved this movie a whole lot! I thought the casting was perfect and the storyline not implausible. Sir Ian, as you said, was very good but I thought Laura Linney and the boy playing her son were outstanding.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:51 pm

I liked the touch of Holmes writing the final letter on the "Fiction" desk.

The difference between lucid Holmes and senile Holmes was striking. Laura Linney did a great job with what was really a "third wheel" role.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:51 am

bookworm wrote:I saw Mr. Holmes today.  I thought it was well done, and Sir Ian was really good.  All the characters brought the feels, and the little boy did a good job of not being annoying.

My bus passes a theatre and I noticed today that Mr Holmes is playing, so I hope to see it this week!

... and now I better get out of this thread..

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:38 pm

Over the last two weeks I've seen both Jurassic World and Mr. Holmes. Jurassic World was ridiculous and over-the-top, a total popcorn movie. Since that was what I was expecting, it was a good time for me, and I'm glad I saw it in the theater so I could enjoy the whole spectacle of it.

I liked Mr. Holmes, but I didn't love it. The acting was wonderful, but it felt really slow to me, though that could have been because I hadn't had much sleep the night before.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Oh, shit guys. You can look at the Tomatometer sitting at 9%. You can read all the positive reviews and a handful of the negative ones. You can spend the week making snide comments about it on your Facebook page. And you think you're ready for how bad it's going to be, but it doesn't matter because you're never going to see it.

But then one day you have time to kill, a little extra money, and there's a screening of Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation starting fifteen minutes before a screening of Fantastic Four. So you throw Tom Cruise a little free money and then with a righteous conscience submit yourself to the oncoming storm.

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED.

There is no anticipating just how bad the movie gets. It tricks you, by having an hour of set-up that almost feels like there might be something to it, something that the haters were too eager to ignore in their mad rush to be the most hyperbolic in their hate. But then the last hour happens and you hate yourself for even thinking about enjoying that first hour and you wish there was something you could do to make it not happen, to go back to a time when this movie didn't exist, would never exist.

It's bad. It's so bad. And I feel so sorry for Kate Mara. What they do to Sue is just so tone deaf and horrible. Even worse than having Jessica Alba play her.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:38 pm

Until the last paragraph, I thought you were talking about Mission: Impossible.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Heh. No, I saw that a couple days ago and loved it. Which is why I had no qualms about buying another ticket to it when I decided that I wanted to really dig into some schadenfreude but didn't want to give Fox my money.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next