Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice Columns

+90
mandalaya
Agent_Squeaks
naughty zoot
salamandersam
Coneycat
katesti
Jordan Baker
Red Wolf
draco vulgaris
Snarryfan
Gallifrey Girl
Carrie Ann
Author By Night
snorf
nazlan
SelfAmused
Cynara
epudom
choubetcha
vwlphb
chibimanda
Gillian
xyzzy
blixie
laddical
maxell131313
Disclaimer
Jamie
PrincessCleo
pinguerin
Cutebutpsycho
Tabby
Never Enough
lisa
Ji Xiang
eventide82
jstilwe
mialoubug
Decca
Raised by wolves
Morning Angel
tothemax
laurelin_kit
dinahmoe
QueenSix
BreezyK
ActonBell
bluebird
year of the cat
dreago
Matinee
Pop'n'Fresh
particle_person
Kiran
Jessica
Shadowlass
mrinsouciance
LadyGayle
mo pie
Putli Bai
Crackie
bookworm
inversed
Crowbridge
MLIS
mokey75
Rhilin
Raksha
blooey
mayram
Instant Monkeys
Shalamar
Algae
biakbiak
Jasmine
Sheli
Lily Rose
The Lady of Shalott
punkysdilemma
Binky
oxymoron
Eris Rising
Poubelle
Gilraen
Genevieve
Miss Moneypenny
VodouDoll
The Glen
Unlucky Bear
punzy
94 posters

Page 10 of 37 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23 ... 37  Next

Go down

Advice Columns - Page 10 Empty Re: Advice Columns

Post  Lily Rose Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Oh my god, the question from the pregnant lady who has a husband who said she should wear a diaper on a long car trip because he wouldn't stop for pee breaks?! What the living hell!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:23 pm

My own personal experiences with bathroom emergencies mean that letters like that make me very stabby. And punchy. And foul-mouthed. Then I'd tell my mother on him and that would be the end of him. Seriously, where are you going that is so important you can't stop for someone to pee. And she's pregnant with his child! WTF is wrong with some people?!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 pm

How socially stunted and up your own ass with your "values" do you have to be to ask someone if they plan to keep the baby? That's out of line. If it was an unplanned pregnancy and, say, the father of the future kid was asking, that would make sense. If it was a very close friend or relative who knew the teacher well enough to know if she'd never wanted kids before or had said she didn't want any until a few years down the line/after some big life changes, that might be all right. I guess if it's a doctor you're discussing all your options with, that wouldn't be out of line. But "my kid is in your class" or any other relationship where you only know each other for professional reasons? NO. If I were a teacher and a parent was harassing me about my pregnancy like that, I'd probably start talking to my principal about intervening, because seriously, MYOB. It's not doing something illegal. (I bet that kid has classmates with single parents, too.)

On top of all that, single parenthood isn't always unplanned, and the teacher's got a job that almost certainly comes with salary and benefits. Plus she has experience with kids and probably had to take a bunch of classes on child development! Maybe she just wanted a kid and was like, hey, I'm in a stable position right now and I'm not getting any younger. That's allowed.

Also, speaking of socially stunted, from the same column: if you're telling "women I meet on campus" (so, are you even on a date with them yet?) all about your specific plans for your marriage, then I suspect you're going to stay single for quite awhile, sexist or no. Also, if he's telling other engineering students this? I'm not surprised he's getting "sexist" as a response--every woman I know who did something math or hard-science related in college got a lot more crap and was justifiably way more sensitive about the notion that they were there for an MRS degree. And does anyone go into an engineering program without the idea that it'll lead to a good job after? Even if they may give their work up (maybe temporarily) for a kid years down the line, they almost certainly aren't planning to graduate to be a SAHM. If they're out of the job market, it's for grad school.

Having your whole life planned out when you're still in undergrad is also very silly.

I think the whole theme of that column was "forcing your values on others is wrong." Especially when those values are "speedy car trip is more important than your bladder."
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Poubelle wrote:And does anyone go into an engineering program without the idea that it'll lead to a good job after? Even if they may give their work up (maybe temporarily) for a kid years down the line, they almost certainly aren't planning to graduate to be a SAHM. If they're out of the job market, it's for grad school.

That's where I was coming from with that question. I wasn't even thinking of a specific BA such as engineering, which I can't imagine taking with no plans afterwards. With any degree, who goes into it thinking "I want to spend 4 years of my life and a shit load of money, with no intention of ever using it."?

The vibe I got was that he only wanted a wife with a BA so he could have intellectual conversations with her, but it was nothing about her educational fullfillment. It was just so HE wouldn't have to deal with a "stupid" person.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Ha, in the comments, someone said they had a mom who would never let them stop to pee during road trips (leading to many accidents growing up), so she/he and their siblings as teenagers fed their mother a pan of laxative-laced brownies right before a trip as revenge. Hilarious.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Wow, Prudie's chat was filled with...special people wasn't it? As someone who doesn't like to stop in between gassing up, I would like to bitch slap the poor pregnant lady's husband and ask him WTF is wrong with him.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:36 am

I have a friend whose future husband refused to stop on a 8 hour drive (the first time they went to meet his parents) and she got a bladder infection (or something else pee-holding related) from it. Now he stops more often than she asks.

Also, the pregnant-unmarried-teacher-is-a-slut LW? WHOA. Is this 1950?
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:53 pm

Never Enough wrote:
Poubelle wrote:And does anyone go into an engineering program without the idea that it'll lead to a good job after? Even if they may give their work up (maybe temporarily) for a kid years down the line, they almost certainly aren't planning to graduate to be a SAHM. If they're out of the job market, it's for grad school.

That's where I was coming from with that question. I wasn't even thinking of a specific BA such as engineering, which I can't imagine taking with no plans afterwards. With any degree, who goes into it thinking "I want to spend 4 years of my life and a shit load of money, with no intention of ever using it."?
Self-aware arts majors? I kid. Sort of. I was thinking the more liberal arts end of things, where you found a fair number people with no specific plans or goal after college other than "I hope I can find an office job or something" or "I guess I'll look at grad school." (I've encountered the "at least I'll have something interesting to talk about in the unemployment line!" idea more than once.) Though even without career goals, pretty much all of them would've been put off by someone saying straight off "I want you to stay home and raise my babies." Though I think if the offer was "I'll support you while you stay home and work on your novel!", that would've gotten some positive responses. But then that would require actually thinking about his future wife as a whole, unique person.

(I did sort of know a girl in college who got married shortly before her graduation, got pregnant barely a year later, and quit with no plans to go back shortly before the kid was born. But she came from a very conservative religious family, and wasn't really using her music degree in the job she had anyhow.)
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm

CREEPIEST CARY TENNIS LETTER EVER. He calls his apartment, "a grotto of pleasure in which my conquests are welcome guests!" I just! Ack!

And creepy advice to match! Cary honest to god tells this single childless 50 year old man to hang around school playgrounds and little league games and children's soccer matches where he has no business being and try to chat up the parents of toddlers in hopes that they know single, childless, fertile women with high sex drives to set him up with. I can't think of any better way for the LW to have someone call the cops on him for being a creepy creepy CREEP.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:22 pm

VodouDoll wrote:CREEPIEST CARY TENNIS LETTER EVER.

And creepy advice to match! Cary honest to god tells this single childless 50 year old man to hang around school playgrounds and little league games and children's soccer matches where he has no business being and try to chat up the parents of toddlers. I can't think of any better way for the LW to have someone call the cops on him for being a creepy creepy CREEP.

And I am primed for the minimally two-decade project of fatherhood: financially stable, exceptionally healthy and also socially integrated.
Look how wrong this dude is. Guy already sounds like a MAJOR creeper, let alone if he starts hanging out at soccer fields.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Fertile women (all of whom could be my daughters) respond to my overtures as if I am some pederast proffering candy with evil ulterior intent.
This, I believe.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:34 pm

Come on, guys. He just wants to propagate his father's line. What's so creepy about that?
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:51 pm

My experience has been that anyone who feels the need to identify themselves upfront as an INTJ has at least a 95% chance of being a creepy douchebag. (That's how I always turn out on those tests; I hope I'm not a creepy douchebag without knowing it.)

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:11 pm

I genuinely believe that at a point within the next five years I will find a woman of childbearing years sufficiently blind to my seniority that she will allow us to bond and build a life together, abundant sex and a child or two included.

Good luck with that, juicebox.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:18 pm

ActonBell wrote:
I genuinely believe that at a point within the next five years I will find a woman of childbearing years sufficiently blind to my seniority that she will allow us to bond and build a life together, abundant sex and a child or two included.

Good luck with that, juicebox.

Yeah, that was the part where I snorted so hard I ended up having a coughing fit. Dude sounds like a textbook sociopath.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:12 pm

This is me while reading that letter.

You have an image problem.

That's the thing: he probably doesn't, because if he projects half of the creepiness that letter conveys, people are seeing him for exactly what he is.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 pm

First he marries three women as lust receptacles and now he wants to marry a brood mare and the advice is hanging out in a park with children? How about the advice starting with trying to meet a woman as an actual person and go from there?
And that writing style/speaking style is a pet peeve of mine. Writing like you're dictating an 1950s textbook doesn't make one intellectual. Smart people will figure out if you're smart or not no matter how you speak. What smart folks will learn from talking to someone like that is the person they're conversing with is a total dickbake.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:30 pm

THAT LETTER.

Fertile women (all of whom could be my daughters) respond to my overtures as if I am some pederast proffering candy with evil ulterior intent.

GOSH. I can't IMAGINE why.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:33 pm

That letter is much more entertaining if you read it in Christopher Walken's "The Continental" voice.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Raised by wolves wrote:Writing like you're dictating an 1950s textbook doesn't make one intellectual.

Yeah, using thrice pretty much proves he's a dick.

That entire letter is one big WTF. An intellectual guy who wants nothing but sex is only just figuring out in his 50s that he can serially date women? He says the thought of having kids never occured to him before, so what, other than his personality, was stopping him from sexing every woman in sight when he wasn't married? And the advice is for this dude to hang out along a events that kids attend and throw himself at married couples? WTF?

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:42 pm

tothemax wrote:
Raised by wolves wrote:Writing like you're dictating an 1950s textbook doesn't make one intellectual.

Yeah, using thrice pretty much proves he's a dick.

Oooh, and the LW weighs in in the comments. Well, not quite weighs in so much as perfunctorily thanks Cary for his advice about kids and then talks about his conquests for many, many paragraphs, in an even creepier way than he did in the original letter. I can't tell if it's a joke! I want it to be. Who writes like that?

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:46 pm

"My friends, when men and women enter the sexual arena, and an arena it certainly is, be it a public byway or a private bed in which a Venusian (woman) and a Martian (man) encounter each other intimately, a beautiful contest ensues. And in this contest, carnal knowledge of the woman is the sole prize, the man’s to win or lose. "

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP.

I want to think it's a joke, but there are a lot of people in the world who like to hear themselves talk. Especially when they talk thusly.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 pm

This guy gives men in their 50's a bad name. Hopefully it's just a troll.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:16 pm

And in this contest, carnal knowledge of the woman is the sole prize, the man’s to win or lose.

And this prize is thrice-divorced? 'Tis a puzzlement as to why. A puzzlement!

To Cary's credit, he does drop this bit of wisdom:

In her decision to bear and raise a child with you, a woman is likely to be mercilessly pragmatic in her assessment of your suitability as a mate.

And I'm thinking that very nearly every sane, fertile, single woman in this guy's 50-mile radius has assessed this randy old goat's M.O. and decided that if anyone's going to father their children, it's not going to be someone who is going to skive off saving for college because his social security payments don't go that far. Or whose "exceptional health" goes south once the child hits middle school.

lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:17 pm

lisa wrote:

And this prize is thrice-divorced? 'Tis a puzzlement as to why. A puzzlement!
Is he Matt Foley? Does he live in a van down by the river?
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 37 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23 ... 37  Next