Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice Columns

+90
mandalaya
Agent_Squeaks
naughty zoot
salamandersam
Coneycat
katesti
Jordan Baker
Red Wolf
draco vulgaris
Snarryfan
Gallifrey Girl
Carrie Ann
Author By Night
snorf
nazlan
SelfAmused
Cynara
epudom
choubetcha
vwlphb
chibimanda
Gillian
xyzzy
blixie
laddical
maxell131313
Disclaimer
Jamie
PrincessCleo
pinguerin
Cutebutpsycho
Tabby
Never Enough
lisa
Ji Xiang
eventide82
jstilwe
mialoubug
Decca
Raised by wolves
Morning Angel
tothemax
laurelin_kit
dinahmoe
QueenSix
BreezyK
ActonBell
bluebird
year of the cat
dreago
Matinee
Pop'n'Fresh
particle_person
Kiran
Jessica
Shadowlass
mrinsouciance
LadyGayle
mo pie
Putli Bai
Crackie
bookworm
inversed
Crowbridge
MLIS
mokey75
Rhilin
Raksha
blooey
mayram
Instant Monkeys
Shalamar
Algae
biakbiak
Jasmine
Sheli
Lily Rose
The Lady of Shalott
punkysdilemma
Binky
oxymoron
Eris Rising
Poubelle
Gilraen
Genevieve
Miss Moneypenny
VodouDoll
The Glen
Unlucky Bear
punzy
94 posters

Page 30 of 37 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 33 ... 37  Next

Go down

Advice Columns - Page 30 Empty Re: Advice Columns

Post  Lily Rose Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:34 pm

"My future sister-in-law wants me to delay my wedding until she gets breast implants. I talked to my finacee (her brother!) and he agrees! Or says we should pay for her implants so she can get them sooner!" (Fourth letter down)

All I can think is RUN. Run far and fast and run run run.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Wow, I would just about have a shitfit if someone came and made those demands and then my soon to be husband decided that he didn't want to call out his sister on her bull and suggested paying for her implants. I really hope the LW talks this through with him very thoroughly because if the sister feels she can make this demand about someone else's wedding day, then she's obviously been doing this kind of thing for years and they're all letting her away with it, which means she'll continue to do it and the LW will find herself being pressured into kowtowing to another adult who really should be told to cop on and go away until she can talk some sense.

I'm all for not wanting conflict but that's just stupid. He's choosing to let his sister away with her nonsense over sticking up for what he and his fiancee want. That's a huge red flag and probable deal breaker.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:46 pm

So this is what it's like to marry into an episode of COPS.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:51 am

When my friend got engaged, her mother (who was quite heavy and always on a diet) said "But you can't get married yet! I'm still fat!" I don't think she really meant it, though.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:51 pm

The Wonkblog has decided to answer Dear Prudence letters but in a more wonky way. I think it's my new favorite thing.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:35 am

Unlucky Bear wrote:So this is what it's like to marry into an episode of COPS.
LOHee!
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Whaaaaat. Prudence got a letter from someone whose teen got pregnant at a party and the LW wants to sue the parents of the kid who had the party because it's their fault this happened because they weren't supervising closely enough. Wow.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:22 pm

VodouDoll wrote:Whaaaaat. Prudence got a letter from someone whose teen got pregnant at a party and the LW wants to sue the parents of the kid who had the party because it's their fault this happened because they weren't supervising closely enough. Wow.
I LOVED her answer to the dad when he wrote back in. "Have you ever heard of a car? They have backseats..."
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:28 pm

VodouDoll wrote:Whaaaaat. Prudence got a letter from someone whose teen got pregnant at a party and the LW wants to sue the parents of the kid who had the party because it's their fault this happened because they weren't supervising closely enough. Wow.
Personal responsibility isn't just dead, it's a zombie. A zombie with a lawyer!
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:44 am

The Bad Advisor weighed in!

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Prison boyfriends are TOTES THE BEST for not being all up in your face and stuff

I wonder if she meant she wants to marry someone who is in jail for life, which would be, uh, not that much better.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Bzuh? She also claims that she works full-time, goes to school full-time, and still has plenty of time for her daughter. Does she have a time-turner?

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:53 am

I think Carolyn Hax might have been trolled by a LW who's watched a lot of Big Bang Theory.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:39 am

Ha, I was thinking THE SAME THING. I couldn't believe CH didn't ask her how it felt to be dating Sheldon Cooper. Also, ew. Dump that guy already.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm

Prudie seems to really dislike dogs. A guy writes in to say that he's astonished that his relatives insist on keeping a dog that his daughter is afraid of. How dare they obtain a dog without thinking of his child's needs?! News flash, dad: not everything is about you.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 pm

If that letter turned around and the dog owners wrote about how their little guardianette is terrified of coming over because they got a new dog, Prudie's advice would have been to suggest meeting them at a restaurant or somewhere other than their house. Plus if they would have written that the father told them they "put the dog over his daughter's needs" she would have said he had some gall and supported them fully.

And not all dogs have to be crated. Some do, some don't. Some like it, some don't, etc. Dogs have personalities too, ya know.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 pm

The letter doesn't even say the dog is poorly behaved, just that it will be large when fully grown and the girl is afraid of it. Prudie invents the idea that she's afraid of it because her mother is dead.

Based on that information, they really need to deal with the girl's phobia, not bitch a her relatives for getting a dog. What an bizarre complaint - maybe she learned to fear dogs from him.

Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:05 pm

My oldest niece is three, and she is terrified of big dogs. Her parents never give family members a hard time for daring to have dogs, though. This whole situation reminds me that some people think the world revolves around them and their children, and it makes me want to puke. I hate that attitude.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  pinguerin Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:01 pm

That's just so nuts. One of my brothers was chased and bitten by a dog when he was two or three, and was (justifiably IMO) afraid of dogs as a result. Did my parents demand that everyone in our lives not have a dog? No, they just said "Hey, [Brother] is afraid of dogs because he got bitten, how can we deal with that when we come over?" and also worked on his phobia until the point where he wasn't afraid anymore. Usually people were more than happy to find a solution that worked for everyone, maybe because my parents weren't being assholes about it.

pinguerin

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:03 am

I'm just surprised that apparently the only way to contain a puppy is a crate. Are doors that rare? Are baby gates only for human babies now?
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:34 pm

This has to be a joke, right?
DEAR MISS MANNERS: My daughter-in-law uses her name when making hotel reservations for the entire family. Should not she have used her husband’s name? She also has her voice on the answering machine. Should not the husband be the one with a message on the answering machine?
I mean...it's 2013. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Lily Rose wrote:This has to be a joke, right?
DEAR MISS MANNERS: My daughter-in-law uses her name when making hotel reservations for the entire family. Should not she have used her husband’s name? She also has her voice on the answering machine. Should not the husband be the one with a message on the answering machine?
I mean...it's 2013. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!
Miss Manners's response was perfect!

But while we're at it... Divorce fundraisers? Really?
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Ask a Manager had a bananas question today. The LW went on dates with a guy and then his wife made him call and tell the LW he couldn't date her anymore because he's married but then the wife somehow wound up trying to convince the LW that she should date the husband again and the LW was like, no thanks, I'm not into married guys, and the wife was like, DON'T JUDGE ME and the LW is interviewing at the wife's company? And the wife is notoriously incompetent at her job? WTF?

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:49 pm

What the hell. On the one hand, wow, that sucks, on the other, I'm pretty sure that letters like that are why advice columns exist.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Your new baby is all about meeeee

This sounds an alarming lot like my mother.  While I have a couple of friends who ended up being grateful for their (otherwise difficult) parents coming by in the early days and providing relief care, there is no way in hell anyone gets to be in the delivery room other than my husband and me.  How disappointing and cruel we are.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 37 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 33 ... 37  Next