Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice Columns

+90
mandalaya
Agent_Squeaks
naughty zoot
salamandersam
Coneycat
katesti
Jordan Baker
Red Wolf
draco vulgaris
Snarryfan
Gallifrey Girl
Carrie Ann
Author By Night
snorf
nazlan
SelfAmused
Cynara
epudom
choubetcha
vwlphb
chibimanda
Gillian
xyzzy
blixie
laddical
maxell131313
Disclaimer
Jamie
PrincessCleo
pinguerin
Cutebutpsycho
Tabby
Never Enough
lisa
Ji Xiang
eventide82
jstilwe
mialoubug
Decca
Raised by wolves
Morning Angel
tothemax
laurelin_kit
dinahmoe
QueenSix
BreezyK
ActonBell
bluebird
year of the cat
dreago
Matinee
Pop'n'Fresh
particle_person
Kiran
Jessica
Shadowlass
mrinsouciance
LadyGayle
mo pie
Putli Bai
Crackie
bookworm
inversed
Crowbridge
MLIS
mokey75
Rhilin
Raksha
blooey
mayram
Instant Monkeys
Shalamar
Algae
biakbiak
Jasmine
Sheli
Lily Rose
The Lady of Shalott
punkysdilemma
Binky
oxymoron
Eris Rising
Poubelle
Gilraen
Genevieve
Miss Moneypenny
VodouDoll
The Glen
Unlucky Bear
punzy
94 posters

Page 33 of 37 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next

Go down

Advice Columns - Page 33 Empty Re: Advice Columns

Post  Putli Bai Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:00 pm

The Glen wrote:I swear I saw that letter printed somewhere before, perhaps Dear Prudence, though the response was much better this time around. I have a notion someone is trolling.

I think Prudy's letter was from the girlfriend of a sink-pee-enthusiast, and he had already progressed to making it rain when he was a guest.

I just don't know what this is even a thing. I mean, the toilet is right there.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:25 pm

The whole urine is sterile argument drives me nuts. Yes, urine is sterile inside the human body but as soon as it hits a non-sterile surface (like a sink or a diaper) it isn't sterile. It just becomes a non-sterile liquid that is superb for (and sometimes accelerates) bacteria growth like a culture in a petri dish.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Putli Bai wrote:
The Glen wrote:I swear I saw that letter printed somewhere before, perhaps Dear Prudence, though the response was much better this time around. I have a notion someone is trolling.

I think Prudy's letter was from the girlfriend of a sink-pee-enthusiast, and he had already progressed to making it rain when he was a guest.

I just don't know what this is even a thing. I mean, the toilet is right there.

You're right, my mistake. Though I would feel slightly better if it were the same person. I really hope there aren't many people out there urinating into sinks on the quiet.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 am

In-laws staying for 5 months the first time you meet them?  At some point during their stay, both sets of parents in the same apartment with the couple?  That's just asking for trouble.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:24 pm

That's insane, and the letter under it isn't any less insane. "My husband is a total asshole and does nothing but criticize me for stupid shit like how I eat and the fact that I made cookies for our children and for magical things like how it's my fault if the kids get sick. And insults me in front of his friends. Also nobody else likes him either. Am I overreacting?"
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:46 pm

I am so happy that this person got a smackdown. My sister went through a phase like this (when she was like seven!), where she just made up random lies for no reason that no one would ever know weren't true. Then later she would smugly inform us that she had "fooled" us. The example of telling people straightfacedly that it went down to 29 last night when it really only went down to 30 is a perfect example. I didn't pull the big-sister-lecture card very often but I did with that. It's just such a stupid thing to do. And it's not like it makes you somehow special to tell somebody something that they believe when they have no reason not to believe it. It's not like you accomplished something difficult or admirable. I'm actually astonished that people in the comments seem divided on whether it's OK. It's one thing to tell a hilarious whopper and see how over-the-top you can get. It's another entirely if someone asks you what you had for breakfast and you say eggs but you really had cereal. I mean, why?

Second letter I agree with the answer to too; if you want to try and raise money for your trip abroad, fine, but you don't have to be such a sponch about it.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:06 am

I don't disagree with the general responses to either letter, but I have to say I'm so happy to hear that there are a "near-infinite number of private scholarships available". Too bad everyone drowning in student loan debt didn't know that. Oh wait.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:08 am

Second letter I agree with the answer to too; if you want to try and raise money for your trip abroad, fine, but you don't have to be such a sponch about it.
She was totally a sponch about it - $30,000 to go to AUSTRALIA? Was her plane gold plated?

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:08 am

My dad often liked to make up facts too, but it was when we were kids. And if you can't get your kids to repeat silly facts like "Did you know there's a restaurant called the Broccoli Barn? My dad said he's going to take us there if we don't stop fighting." then what's the point of having kids? This letter writer seems insufferably superior - there's definitely an element of "I'm so much smarter than everyone, and I can prove it by getting the gullible idiots to believe anything I tell them" to this "hobby." I'm glad s/he was called out. (And the "you obviously aren't dating anyone" was a nice dig.)

The second letter reminded me so much of a college acquaintance who tried to get everyone she knew to pay for her to buy a bus to live in on an island in the Pacific Northwest so she could "make zines." Yeah, that didn't work out for her, either.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:11 am

I'm Australian, and all that made me laugh. It can be a great place, but I couldn't say we have a particularly rich or diverse culture. Besides, we have quite enough local sponches without importing them.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Lily Rose wrote:$30,000 to go to AUSTRALIA? Was her plane gold plated?

I've done study abroad twice and my student job was in the study abroad office and I hate to say it, but that sounds about right. The total amount given out includes: round trip airfare, whatever living accommodations are chosen for you (which you have to pay for even if you don't want to live there), tuition for their classes (so if you go to a major local university, it's going to be a lot), and anything they add on to be considered basic living costs. Then whatever that local currency amount is, is adjusted for US dollars.

None of my answer is defending this person throwing the fundraiser though! Basically what she's doing is asking her friends to pay for not just the plane to get her there, but every single thing she will need. She wants to have basically a free vacation and not worry about any of the cost while there. I thought the LW handled it really well, by giving suggestions for fundraising instead of just asking for money.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:I am so happy that this person got a smackdown. My sister went through a phase like this (when she was like seven!), where she just made up random lies for no reason that no one would ever know weren't true. Then later she would smugly inform us that she had "fooled" us.

See, what your sister did is a very common stage in little children when they're still figuring out how jokes and riddles work. And then they learn how jokes and riddles work, and then they stop telling pointless random lies, thinking they're being funny. What the letter-writer is doing is a very common stage in douchebags when they think they're smarter than everyone else. Sooner or later someone either calls them on their bullshit or punches them in the nose.

I'm not entirely sorry the advice columnist called the LW on the bullshit, but I was kind of cheering for the punch in the nose!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:51 pm

My cousins used to do that thing to me when we were growing up. They'd tell me things that were untrue but because they were all siblings and I was an only child, they'd back one another up and then when I'd believe them (because they were all older than me and there were a couple that I trusted), they'd laugh uproariously and go on about how gullible and stupid I was. It didn't take long before I stopped believing them altogether and even now I take what they say with a pinch of salt because they still like to do it. I just nod and go 'is that right?' very non-committedly.

Some people just like to make other people feel stupid. (Though my cousins can be quite nice in other ways. It's just when they get into this mood and if there's a few of them together, they think they're hilarious).

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 pm

Liking lie-telling is called duping and is aggressive and a marker for psychopathy. It's about perceived superiority and manipulation. Unless it is clearly cultural inspired (like whoppers and fishing) it is a put-down.
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 am

Thinking of handing off my unborn child to his father because I can't stand the thought of having a boy

Yikes. Kinda rooting for the dad & family to take custody here.

Thought the second letter was kinda interesting (and frankly, much more of the type of letter I like to see in Dear Abby, unlike the first letter, which belongs in Dr. Personal Psychiatrist's files.) That is an awkward situation and while it seems like such a small thing, it could very well be the kind of thing that ends a friendship.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:07 pm

The fact that they just came and picked the gift card up and nothing more was ever said about it makes me wonder if it was stolen. That is SUPER awkward.

The first letter, yeah. She needs some counseling. It's one thing to envision a child of a particular gender and be disappointed that it's the other gender, and quite another to say "Eh, I think I'll just give him to his father and start over."
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Having worked in retail and sold lots of gift cards, I can very easily see the non-activation happening as a mistake on the restaurant's part when it was purchased. BUT... if I bought a gift card and my friend told me it wasn't working? I'd be pissed. I would instantly look through my records to see if I was charged and deal with the restaurant either giving me a refund or fixing the gift card. I wouldn't be blase about it.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Not only would I be angry with the restaurant, Never Enough, but I would also be mortified. I'd apologize profusely to my friend for the fact that she had to pay for her own meal, but also for the experience of the card being rejected, which would embarrass many people (myself included, even if I knew it wasn't my fault!). Depending on the cost of the card, I'd also either reimburse my friend before I even took it up with the restaurant or reimburse my friend once I figured out if it was my error or the restaurant's.

I feel bad for the mother in the first letter. I'm hoping she's just going through some crazy hormonal stuff and not truly going to resent her son for being, well, her son. I think the advice given was pretty good - don't make any lasting decisions right now, keep your doctor informed of these feelings, speak to your family about buying a few things for the baby. I guess my response of, "Get thee to a therapist right this moment!" is why I don't have an advice column and whoever is writing "Dear Abby" now does.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Never Enough wrote:Having worked in retail and sold lots of gift cards, I can very easily see the non-activation happening as a mistake on the restaurant's part when it was purchased. BUT... if I bought a gift card and my friend told me it wasn't working? I'd be pissed. I would instantly look through my records to see if I was charged and deal with the restaurant either giving me a refund or fixing the gift card. I wouldn't be blase about it.

This has happened to me, I gave someone $100 gift card and it got rejected when they went to use it. Very embarrassing, especially since they didn't find out until they went to pay so it was too late to stop and find out what happened. I had kept the receipts so I was able to get it fixed relatively easily.

But just never following up on it is so not an option and I'd really wonder about a friend who did that. I mean, there's forgetfulness and there's thoughtlessness and a situation like that falls firmly into the second category.

Not only would I be angry with the restaurant, Never Enough, but I would also be mortified. I'd apologize profusely to my friend for the fact that she had to pay for her own meal, but also for the experience of the card being rejected, which would embarrass many people (myself included, even if I knew it wasn't my fault!). Depending on the cost of the card, I'd also either reimburse my friend before I even took it up with the restaurant or reimburse my friend once I figured out if it was my error or the restaurant's.

Yeah, there's definitely potential for major embarrassment there. Like, what if the person didn't have any money of their own because they thought they'd be using a gift card, that could get really messy in the moment.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:41 pm

The disturbing thing about the first letter is that not only has she her heart set on a girl, but a very particular fantasy of the perfect girl that probably doesn't exist in real life. Most daughters would not be able to live up to that fantasy. What if it had been a daughter but she'd been a tom boy? Even if a girl is naturally really girly and into pink and princesses, raising a baby is not all cute outfits and adorable playtime fun.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Thu May 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Dear Miss Lonelyhearts: you've been trolled.

Seriously, read the letter and tell me if it doesn't sound awfully familiar. Hint: think Bryan Cranston and Anna Gunn.

(Of course, if it turns out to be a legitimate letter, I'll feel like a real jerk.)
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough Thu May 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Yeah, there's no way that's real.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Thu May 01, 2014 5:52 pm

She should have added, "And every time I try to talk about this with my friends, they think I'm just talking about Breaking Bad!"

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Fri May 02, 2014 10:44 am

Hee hee. Can you imagine if you had a real problem that was notorious for being a TV show plot, and everyone thought you were making it up? Oy. "My Texas billionaire dad treats me like a little kid and my mom is a drunk and my cousin is annoying and this weird chick keeps dressing up in green lingerie that's the same one my wife bought!" "Dude, that's Dallas. You just described Dallas."
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Tue May 06, 2014 9:05 am

I have no idea what Dear Abby's LW1 is talking about. Does anyone really think/care about wrapping paper this much?

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 37 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next