Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice Columns

+90
mandalaya
Agent_Squeaks
naughty zoot
salamandersam
Coneycat
katesti
Jordan Baker
Red Wolf
draco vulgaris
Snarryfan
Gallifrey Girl
Carrie Ann
Author By Night
snorf
nazlan
SelfAmused
Cynara
epudom
choubetcha
vwlphb
chibimanda
Gillian
xyzzy
blixie
laddical
maxell131313
Disclaimer
Jamie
PrincessCleo
pinguerin
Cutebutpsycho
Tabby
Never Enough
lisa
Ji Xiang
eventide82
jstilwe
mialoubug
Decca
Raised by wolves
Morning Angel
tothemax
laurelin_kit
dinahmoe
QueenSix
BreezyK
ActonBell
bluebird
year of the cat
dreago
Matinee
Pop'n'Fresh
particle_person
Kiran
Jessica
Shadowlass
mrinsouciance
LadyGayle
mo pie
Putli Bai
Crackie
bookworm
inversed
Crowbridge
MLIS
mokey75
Rhilin
Raksha
blooey
mayram
Instant Monkeys
Shalamar
Algae
biakbiak
Jasmine
Sheli
Lily Rose
The Lady of Shalott
punkysdilemma
Binky
oxymoron
Eris Rising
Poubelle
Gilraen
Genevieve
Miss Moneypenny
VodouDoll
The Glen
Unlucky Bear
punzy
94 posters

Page 32 of 37 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next

Go down

Advice Columns - Page 32 Empty Re: Advice Columns

Post  Author By Night Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Raised by wolves wrote:IMO Abby didn't go hard enough.  I would have told that woman to leave.  If a spouse is having a seizure, wouldn't the first instinct be to help rather than sexually assault them?  Plus, he's having sex with her when she's unconscious?  That is just plain creepy and borders on necrophilia.  But I do love that LW says they have no issues in their 20 year marriage other than the whole rapey thing.  Other than that it's all good.
Same. Marriage counseling would imply he needed to understand what he was doing was wrong. He understands. She should get the hell out of there and ask for a restraining order.

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:55 pm

mayram wrote:
Binky wrote:
Tabby wrote:Dear Amy, How can I make my teenage son stop being gay?

Parent's theory on why son is gay is jaw-dropping. Parent of the Year, there.
That reads as fakitty-fake-fake to me. I am sure there are idiots out there who think like that, but they usually aren't as open or self-aware as this. The part where they callously admit to missing his birthday 3 years in a row without any kind of emotion is the fake kicker to me.
Same here. Besides the birthday part, the whole "they won't see reason and won't stop being gay" sounded really fake as well.

And really, that would be the best case scenario so I'm going to go with "it's fake."
I'm not sure. When I came out, my mom's reaction besides, "No, you're not" was very close to "he won't see reason". She told me I was gay just to get back at her and the family. Oh, and there was a whole, "What happens when the neighbors find out aspect" to her reaction as well.

All of that read as accurate to me. The birthdays thing? I don't know. Parents are strange creatures when their children turn out to be different that what they expected them to be.

As for the Dear Abby letter, the letter writer needs to leave. Because, my Lord...

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:35 pm

I thought Prudie was kind of gratuitously nasty in response to the first letter writer today. I mean, maybe the woman is heartless; or maybe she is panicked over how to support her unborn child, experiencing complicated emotions about it, and didn't think she needed to lay out her entire emotional landscape to an advice columnist.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Yeah, I thought that was pretty harsh, too. Granted, the letter writer basically said "The father of my baby just died, he was loaded, what do I do next?", but Prudie really jumped to conclusions there.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Yeah. I mean the correct answer is 'lawyer up' and inform the estate asap, but I'm not really sure there's a point to the "feel bad about yourself" part of the advice.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:22 pm

I thought "How do I broach the subject" implied that she realized this wasn't the best time to bring it up, and that it was not going to be an easy thing to tell the widow. And also I get her question, though she could probably wait a while given executing the estate will take a while. But any time she brings it up will be awkward, whether she does it sooner or later. Later will just add to the "Why did you wait until now? Is it even his kid?" questions.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:51 am

I have to wonder whether the mention of the estate was just bad placement? Obviously it was intentional, but it's hard to tell if the letter writer meant to sound as callous. She might seriously need support for her child, and she may also wonder if his now-widow has a right to know. Unfortunately she phrased it horribly. Or she just cares about the money. It's hard to tell.

Author By Night

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:51 pm

I didn't know where else to put this, this article on Dear Abby and Ann Landers is amazing.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:34 pm

I absolutely adore the end of the year Times Magazine. They find the most extraordinary people to highlight and memorialize and it so well researched and written. This article was such a lovely valentine to them both.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:37 pm

punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:22 pm

This is one of my favorites from That Bad Advice in a while. It's like sailing a boat to the land of first-world problems and then you just keep on sailing.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:28 pm

Dear Prudence, first letter: RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Putli Bai wrote:Dear Prudence, first letter:  RUN AWAY!  RUN AWAY!
What the hell is wrong with all those people?!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:25 pm

... I was not prepared for that. Wow. I'm all for families donating willingly, but Prudence is absolutely right, this isn't so far from The Handmaid's Tale. This girl needs to get the hell out of there.

I love that the adoptive Mom has to reassure Dear Abby that they "weren't raised by a harlot." It makes you wonder if she's part of the problem, though. :/

Author By Night

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:46 am

punkysdilemma wrote:My daughter is a hooooor, it's not my fault because she is adopted

That's some good parenting, Lou.

The same could be said of LW #2. "Our daughter is such a spoiled brat, how do we fix that without actually making her mad?"

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Author By Night wrote:I love that the adoptive Mom has to reassure Dear Abby that they "weren't raised by a harlot." It makes you wonder if she's part of the problem, though. :/
Oh god yes. I'm also sure that if Mom felt the burning need to tell Dear Abby that they are adopted, she's also been casting that up to her kids for their whole lives whenever she's mad at them.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:55 am

Dear Polly has a real doozy of a letter. She doles out some solid advice, too.

Also, I do not understand any of the commenters that claim all the guys you meet in your 20s are emotional vampires. I have not spent my 20s putting all that much effort into dating, but I've managed to avoid them. The worst I've found is "flaky and afraid of commitment" (which lbr, is not an exclusively male problem). Like, where are you meeting dudes? I need to know what bars to avoid.

Like, sure, one or two? Or admitting maybe certain personality types attract them? But "every guy is that guy" for a DECADE, presented as a universal thing? Wtf. What are you doing?
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:45 pm

Poubelle wrote:Dear Polly has a real doozy of a letter. She doles out some solid advice, too.

Also, I do not understand any of the commenters that claim all the guys you meet in your 20s are emotional vampires. I have not spent my 20s putting all that much effort into dating, but I've managed to avoid them. The worst I've found is "flaky and afraid of commitment" (which lbr, is not an exclusively male problem). Like, where are you meeting dudes? I need to know what bars to avoid.

Yeah, "flaky/commitmentphobic" describes my experiences. However, the guy described by the LW? A collection of red-flags shaped like a person.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:53 pm

Binky wrote:
Poubelle wrote:Dear Polly has a real doozy of a letter. She doles out some solid advice, too.

Yeah, "flaky/commitmentphobic" describes my experiences. However, the guy described by the LW? A collection of red-flags shaped like a person.

I appreciated the fact that Polly took a moment to establish the fact vampire-boy is sad and ill, not EEEVIL, before emphasizing to the LW that he is NOT HER PROBLEM OMG and she CAN'T SAVE HIM. Attacking the poor jerk would only make LW defensive, rather than helping her focus on the real problem, which is that she desperately needs to take care of herself.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:38 pm

The second letter, omg. The second letter is appalling, and the response to it hilarious.

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:02 pm

draco vulgaris wrote:The second letter, omg. The second letter is appalling, and the response to it hilarious.
The Bad Adviser has the appropriate responses in gif form.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:54 pm

draco vulgaris wrote:The second letter, omg. The second letter is appalling, and the response to it hilarious.

"Before you were wearing jeans—now you're wearing sterile jeans."

BRILLIANT.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:15 pm

I swear I saw that letter printed somewhere before, perhaps Dear Prudence, though the response was much better this time around. I have a notion someone is trolling.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Caity Weaver is the best thing about Gawker.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:52 am

I particularly enjoyed his argument that this is all for the betterment of the environment.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 37 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next