Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Playing At a Theater Near You

+124
themis
xyzzy
weathergal
PirateCatarina
The Glen
The Dude
filwdork
aninnocent
katbeth
salamandersam
wenchsenior
CaroJC
rivki8699
emrie
PineappleGirl
Kookla
vwlphb
Matinee
Grainne Mhaol
Soleil
Arabella
blooey
ulkis
Skyblade
sunni94
schwa
Agent Sculder
Swarley
Rhilin
Escape
puddingcup
jstilwe
Paris, Texas
Jordan Baker
bbridges
Algae
Sheli
CherryFlame
punzy
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
jensa
Wilhelmina
Jude
Decca
tchaikca
Poubelle
draco vulgaris
Miss Moneypenny
chibimanda
Dachelle
Raksha
easybreezy
mandalaya
BreezyK
Bad Username
eco
FiggyPudding
Shalamar
SarahJanet
Fiammetta
Coneycat
katesti
Luthien
Jamie
Brainchild
QueenSix
BrightEyes
killershrew
darthtall
slmader
dionneshea
bookworm
mayram
Morning Angel
Menshevixen
MaddyCat
harvey the penguin
eventide82
epudom
Binky
truecrystal
curryalley
Auroura76
Crackie
Cynara
inversed
MtOlivePickles
Snarryfan
ActonBell
tothemax
swsa
sagitare
Gillian
Case
big chicken
Unlucky Bear
alexdegenhardt
biakbiak
mokey75
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
Jessica
Instant Monkeys
naughty zoot
blixie
molliewollie
Red Wolf
whatthedeuce
Cutebutpsycho
Kiran
nikita
jcpdiesel21
Ceci
TiffanyNichelle
Carrie Ann
Corellderaan
jaraga
MLIS
Gilraen
RiverThames
queenofdenile
Putli Bai
laddical
128 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 5 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  Kiran Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:19 pm

I get the feeling if there is a third movie
Spoiler:
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 5 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  mrinsouciance Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:29 pm

I agree with Kiran, and that was my thinking as we left the theater. Much too convenient.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:32 pm

I went to see Shame yesterday. I'm not sure what I expected but I don't think I expected it to
Spoiler:
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:46 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:I went to see Shame yesterday. I'm not sure what I expected but I don't think I expected it to
Spoiler:

Saw it last week, and it is, shall we say, plot-light? It's an interesting character study, and Fessbender is great. But the actual dialogue is really poor, in my opinion. "We're not bad people. We just come from a bad place." Ugh. The movie is at its best when no one is speaking. Which is, thankfully, about 60% of the movie.

Re: Spoilered Holmes bit. I agree with you, Kiran. It's almost painfully obvious the way it's set up.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:31 pm

I've read great critical reviews about Shame but poor word of mouth from the few people I know online who have actually seen it. I'm very eager to see it though because of Carey Mulligan and Fassbender. (The promise of his nudity doesn't deter me either, obviously.)

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:27 pm

A question for those of you who've seen Shame: Is it relentlessly bleak? By that I mean, like Leaving Las Vegas or Requiem for a Dream where god it was just one awful thing piled on top of another until I totally couldn't blame any of the characters for wanting to die. I don't need a happy ending per se, but I need to walk away from a movie not feeling completely shitty.

I'm actually glad to read that it's a character study--I was worried that it would be BOOM SEX BOOM followed by shallow navel-gazing for 2 hours or so. In my head, I'd envisioned it like The Woodsman which was plot & dialogue light but an amazing character study (and Kevin Bacon was AMAZING too).

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Bleak? No. But it is uncomfortable. And the sex in it is (intentionally) mechanical and unsexy. But, how to put this-- the director likes his long, uninterrupted shots. Really likes them.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:59 pm

I love that Requiem For a Dream has been mentioned here twice now as a standard for cinematic bleakness. It really is one of the most depressing things I can ever recall watching. You just felt misery emanating from all the characters. I'm glad Shame isn't like that, or I might not have the strength to endure it.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:20 am

RiverThames wrote:Saw Sherlock and Young Adult so far this week. Enjoyed them both in different ways. I actually really liked Sherlock a lot, though I totally get the annoyance friends of mine had at
Spoiler:
But it was a lot of fun. Young Adult wasn't fun, though I laughed a lot, but Charlize and Patton were both fantastic.

See, I didn't mind that (even though in my head
Spoiler:
), because it quickly established how badass Moriarty was.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:55 am

blixie wrote:I saw both The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. I found both fairly....eh. I was surprised that Mara was the best thing about GWDT. The very thing I liked about her Lisbeth was that she felt alien/odd and not like a "real" person, and Noomi did feel as though she was a little too..normal. I do agree that it's a heavily, and definitely creepily, directed performance though.

Spoiler:
I hadn't read the book or seen the Swedish film when I went to see TGWTDT, and
Spoiler:
I did think the Swedish version handled the Wennerstrom stuff better. They set it up more thoroughly at the start which meant they could spend less time on it in the end. After the murder is solved, it's kind of anticlimactic to finish things up with a money laundering scheme.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:32 am

Spoiler:
Ha! I saw the credits and thought
Spoiler:

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:55 pm

I've seen Sherlock 2, New Year's Eve, and Young Adult.

My favorite was Sherlock. However, I liked it because it didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes movie (the trope of Sherlock seeing X, Y, Z to determine A, B, C bugs me). I liked it better than the first one, too. I also sincerely doubt that
Spoiler:

NYE was nothing more than a collection of pretty celebrities in a sparkly movie. It tried even less hard than Valentine's Day to have a plot.

Young Adult was underwhelming. It felt like a mood piece and even the climax didn't really do much for me. I think Diablo Cody writes women more interestingly than a lot of screenwriters, but it needed more. At least it didn't have her typical twee dialogue.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:08 am

I saw Mission Impossible IV: Ghost Protocol at the imax theater last night, and it was massively enjoyable. I think a big part of it was just watching it at an imax, since it was shot for imax and had a lot of big action sequences that just work better on that type of large screen. My only (small) quibble? Not enough Josh Holloway.
He looked fine, and he was really good in the beginning action sequence so
Spoiler:
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:42 pm

I saw it today too, Actonbell, but me and IMAX have issues so I just saw the regular version. I enjoyed it well enough, but then I'm a fan of the series in general and Cruise as Ethan Hunt specifically. He might be a Xenu-loving nutbag, but I always enjoy him in movies because the man commits. Watching him run exhausts me.

And he's looking damn good for damn near 50!

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:01 pm

I went to see The Lady - the Luc Besson film about Aung San Suu Kyi. It was a mixture of good and bad; Michelle Yeoh is great albeit plays her as too damn perfect - I'm pretty sure that years of house arrest would've resulted in a foul mood every now and then. Also, the Burmese leadership are portrayed too cartoonishly for my liking; they are one of the world's most brutal regimes and if you knew little about the history of the country (like the friend I went with) I'm not sure the depth of that brutality comes across. Finally, I didn't feel as though the film shows the lasting impact her choices and imprisonment had on her family, especially when her husband is diagnosed with terminal cancer and she decides to stay in Rangoon.

On the whole it means well, but could've been so much better.
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:13 pm

I saw We Bought a Zoo, which I surprisingly really, really liked. Yes, it's sappy in places, but I think it manages to stay just shy of becoming cloying. And for once I wasn't the least bit annoyed by ScarJo. I'd have cut out
Spoiler:
I also saw MI4. Good fun, I agree. But I could've done with more Lea Seydoux and less Paula Patton.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am

Sherlock Holmes was really fun, even though the last 5 minutes were a little ridiculous. (Someone in my theater even shouted, "Are you kidding me?!") The moment we saw
Spoiler:
Does Mycroft wander around nude in the books? Because I can't think of any other reason to subject us to that much Stephen Fry, whom I otherwise adore. Within the first ten minutes I was sure there was going to be a sequel, since everyone involved just seemed to be having so much fun!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:00 pm

If Mycroft wandered around naked in his house, Watson never detailed it in the books. I just couldn't stop laughing at Mary's reaction and the 1,000 yard stare when he was talking to her.

I was fine with the ending in this because it was like a compact, action version of the story the movie was based off of. But that's just me.

Last edited by Cutebutpsycho on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:38 pm

We saw Tower Heist a few nights ago and considering how low my expectations for it were, it was actually not bad. I thought Ben Stiller was great in it - it was nice to see him playing just a regular person. Matthew Broderick certainly plays the hapless middle aged guy well and Casey Affleck was great.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  harvey the penguin Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:09 am

The Artist is adorable and charming and I love it. And I know I'm not the first person to say this by a long shot, but Oggie the Dog needs a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination!
harvey the penguin
harvey the penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:45 pm

We saw Young Adult over the weekend, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. because I hated (haaaaaaaaaaated!) Juno, and I don't normally like Charlize Theron all that much. The characters were real people, not catchphrases. I kind of liked that
Spoiler:

Plus, I can't lie- I know I've been a little Mavis-y when I've been back to my hometown. The part where Buddy talks about how the town is really coming along by saying they're getting a Chipotle? I totally snorted out loud because I've had that conversation. (Though I think it was an Applebees.) Also, it didn't hurt that if Facebook photos are accurate, my high school crush now looks a lot like Patrick Wilson.

The soundtrack was awesome, too. If I was still the sort of person who bought a soundtrack, we would have been stopping at a store on the way home.

I did feel badly for her dog, though, stuck in that hotel for days. Poor pooch.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:04 pm

I, too, was pleasantly surprised byYoung Adult and thought Patton Oswalt was really amazing in it. But, yeah, poor pooch for sure.

We saw Drive this weekend, finally, and I loved it. Ryan Gosling was freaky and amazing and I don't understand why he's not in the Oscar conversation more. He was terrific. The movie was tense, violent, tragic, and overall very well-made.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:42 pm

In a sane world Ryan Gosling would be nominated for Drive, but I think it is too genre for Oscar voters and unfortunately it didn't make enough money to overcome the stigma of that.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:48 pm

harvey the penguin wrote:The Artist is adorable and charming and I love it. And I know I'm not the first person to say this by a long shot, but Oggie the Dog needs a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination!

harvey, my husband and I are so excited to see that when it comes out here! We love Jean Dujardin ever since seeing him in the OSS films a few years ago. I think it's part of the French film festival starting here in February. Can't wait!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 am

In a perfect world, Drive would be a shoo-in for Best Picture this year, with Ryan Gosling in contention for an acting award along with Albert Brooks. It's easily the best movie I saw this year. So good.

I didn't know what to expect going into Young Adult, but I really enjoyed it. Great performances and an interesting story that fueled conversation between my husband and me for days. I was stunned by how excellent Patton Oswalt was. Yet another fantastic movie that is hardly getting any Oscar buzz.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next