Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celebrities and the Law

+96
BrightEyes
megageek
truecrystal
wenchsenior
vwlphb
00redsvt
Lily Rose
jstilwe
mandalaya
bbridges
shanndee
blooey
RubyTuesday
Raised by wolves
PrincessCleo
Shadowlass
Putli Bai
punkysdilemma
emrie
choubetcha
mayram
QueenSix
Grainne Mhaol
Melk
mialoubug
slmader
Coneycat
big chicken
Gallifrey Girl
TiffanyNichelle
puddingcup
Morning Angel
gannetguts
Instant Monkeys
Matinee
queenofdenile
epudom
salamandersam
oxymoron
Genevieve
Never Enough
Cynara
dionneshea
Carrie Ann
mokey75
filwdork
Swarley
The Glen
chibimanda
Arabella
Snarryfan
mrinsouciance
Escape
Skyblade
Francie Nolan
Miss Moneypenny
Crowbridge
CherryFlame
Red Wolf
Raksha
whatthedeuce
punzy
dreago
LadyGayle
Binky
bookworm
inversed
dinahmoe
eventide82
Cutebutpsycho
Case
themis
Poubelle
sagitare
biakbiak
ActonBell
Wildog27
lisa
laddical
tothemax
Decca
Eris Rising
nikita
Unlucky Bear
naughty zoot
blixie
Kiran
caltrask55
Jude
swsa
year of the cat
jcpdiesel21
katesti
particle_person
xyzzy
The Dude
100 posters

Page 13 of 28 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 28  Next

Go down

Celebrities and the Law - Page 13 Empty Re: Celebrities and the Law

Post  swsa Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:Or doing the most basic thing, like yelling, "Who's in there?" to which Reeva probably would have responded.
Doesn't he say he DID call out? In which case, he expects us to buy that his girlfriend decided to ignore him and not say, "It's just me"?

And who thinks they hear an intruder and their first instinct isn't to, you know, ask the person in bed with them if they heard it too? Or to tell your girlfriend to get out of the house and call the cops if you think there's honestly someone who broke in the house?
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:Or doing the most basic thing, like yelling, "Who's in there?" to which Reeva probably would have responded.

Or, you know, just reaching over to her side of the bed with the intent of making sure she was awake and asking if she heard what he did. I admit I do not live in a high-crime society so I know all my assumptions are different (I mean, when his father or uncle or whatever said, "if you hear a noise in the night, no one would assume it's a member of their family!" I was all, "I WOULD! EVERY TIME!") but it seems like the first thing you'd do is make sure the other person in the room was awake and knew what was going on.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Sorry, I meant that I don't believe he called out for that reason--it doesn't line up. He says that he thought Reeva was still in bed, but apparently she never stirred while he both shouted to an intruder and retrieved the gun from her side of the bed in order to go after the Bathroom Bandit. And even if he was convinced she was there, he didn't bother checking on her or warning her about the danger? Give me a break. [ETA: what Coneycat said.]

His career is over, regardless. One of the reasons Lance Armstrong could come back (but probably won't in any significant way) is that he's been a major figure in his sport and US culture for like 15 years. Pistorius only became known to most of the world this summer. I don't think people will be clamoring to forgive him. Also, Lance's crime was doping, lying, and being an appalling dickhead to other people. He didn't murder anyone in cold blood.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:59 pm

So much of what he claims happened that night doesn't ring true for me. I agree, if you think you hear someone in your house at night, surely the very first thing you do is wake up the person in bed next to you? To ask if they heard it, to warn them, to ask them to back you up while you look... it's just the obvious first step. At the very least you look to see if they're there, in case the source of the noise is them. And then you find your supposed intruder in the bathroom? What do you think they're doing in your bathroom?

My faith in the South African police to sort the truth out, however, dwindles further with each day.
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 pm

And then you find your supposed intruder in the bathroom? What do you think they're doing in your bathroom?

And his first instinct is to go to the balcony, when he thought the intruder was in the bathroom also seems odd. Especially, if you know only have stumps for legs (that is the word he used in the article)! I have to imagine that even though at the initial hearing they hadn't made a precise trajectory of the bullets but I imagine it should be fairly easy to tell if he had on his prosthetics are not. But then again maybe I just watch L&O too much.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 am

He claimed he yelled to warn Reeva, then yelled at the intruder, then fired shots.

So...accepting his version of the events, it's entirely possible that Reeva in the bathroom thought there was an intruder outside. In her place (although, yes, I am not from an area with violent crime like SA), I probably would have stayed in the locked room and been quiet, at least for a few minutes. In his statement, he fired through the door immediately after yelling, so she may or may not have had time to announce herself. She may not have known where he was yelling at. Which brings us right back around to him shooting at a noise that was not a danger to him without making any effort to get away from it OR even determine it was a threat.

I think his career is over, too. I think murdering someone, even 'accidentally,' with a gun ends all goodwill. He's either a violent asshole or a violent giant idiot with a gun fetish.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:12 am

I have no idea what the gradation of charges, as it were, is like in South Africa, but in a system presided over by judges/magistrates instead of a jury, I can't see how he can be acquitted of at the very least a lesser charge equivalent to second-degree murder or manslaughter. At worst, he killed his girlfriend in a fit of rage during an argument, or intended to kill some unidentified person hiding in the toilet. At best, he displayed what good old Ben Stone used to refer to as "a depraved indifference to human life," so even if the premeditated murder charge doesn't stick, I can't see a judge failing to convict him on some lesser but still very serious charge.

And whatever happens, he's got to be sponsorship poison from here out, so I'd agree his career is probably over.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Did anyone ever elaborate on the original statement by SA police that they'd been called out to the house before for domestic incidents (presumably domestic violence)? You would think that would come up in a bail hearing where the prosecution is trying to show a propensity for violence, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere since the first news of the shooting.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:12 am

Clearly this a young woman with her priorities in the right order. I can't imagine why her career's not back on track yet!
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:18 am

Peter Murphy gets his first hit in years.

Facing hit and run, DUI, and meth charges.

Meth? At his age?
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:34 pm

I love Bauhaus and his first couple of solo albums, this makes me sad. I blame his role in Eclipse, the Twilight franchise is not good for the psyche.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:42 pm

Never thought I'd see the day when Reese would get arrested even if only for a very brief while.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:45 pm

I am surprised she didn't pull the "do you know who I am" at the rental car place and upgrade from the Ford Focus.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:48 pm

The whole story made me literally laugh out loud. Loved the reaction of the officer, with his "I told her to sit on her butt" remark. This was even more entertaining than most of her movies!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:49 pm

That report reads as shit girl, you were hella drunk.

The American soil thing? Oh my God, she was plastered.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Oh my god, that was hilarious.

As the report details, “Mrs. Witherspoon asked, “Do you know my name?” I answered, “No, I don’t need to know your name.” I then added, “right now.” Mrs. Witherspoon stated, “You’re about to find out who I am.”

The report also specified, “Mrs. Witherspoon also stated, ‘You are going to be on national news.’ I advised Mrs. Witherspoon that was fine.”

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm surprised she didn't mention her ancestor who signed the Declaration of Independence while she was at it.

The friendship with Chelsea Handler makes a lot more sense now.

Last edited by Arabella on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Kiran wrote:That report reads as shit girl, you were hella drunk.

The American soil thing? Oh my God, she was plastered.
Yeah, that was my first thought too. The second was HEEEEEEE.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Awesome. I saw this, and wanted to link it in the Schadenfreude thread.

Is it wrong that I'm picturing this?
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:24 pm

“Mrs. Witherspoon also stated, ‘You are going to be on national news.’ I advised Mrs. Witherspoon that was fine.”

I am kind of in love with that officer. He's as unimpressed by the famous drunks as he is by the regular drunks.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Heh, I'm probably a jerk but after this week, a headline about an actress going "Don't you know who I am!!" and getting arrested for it makes me laugh a great deal. I'd rather that always be the top news.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:29 am

OMG I am like, CACKLING over here. This is literally the first public stumble I remember seeing from her and it's just hilarious. Mostly because I picture her waking up the next day and being all OH GOD and literally hiding under the covers. Thankfully, no one was hurt, so hopefully she'll be able to laugh about it eventually.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 am

Used to like her but drunk driving (and the condoning thereof) is a "DEAD TO ME FOREVER" offense, so fuck you Reese!

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 28 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 28  Next