Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychotic Fans

+117
emrie
maxell131313
naughty zoot
CindyMc
Mulva
Snarker
DaenarysQueenoftheYumYums
chibimanda
Sheli
LadyGayle
Raised by wolves
Nerg
Tabby
katbeth
SarahJanet
Gallifrey Girl
Carrie Ann
Jessica
eco
mokey75
punkysdilemma
greensock
Swarley
mayram
BloozyTunes
Lis
Matinee
Never Enough
oxymoron
Lily Rose
Jude
vwlphb
Skyblade
Melk
Gillian
Arabella
xyzzy
Dachelle
easybreezy
dionneshea
Escape
mandalaya
Grainne Mhaol
The Dude
VictorLaszlo
puddingcup
nazlan
Agent Sculder
salamandersam
Red Wolf
Kookla
Bob Genghis Khan
Renny Sue
Corvus
Wildog27
Coneycat
Menshevixen
dinahmoe
darthtall
sen3
mozzarella
slmader
Charishawk
Jasmine
queenofdenile
QueenSix
Decca
allochthonous
TiffanyNichelle
punzy
Binky
MtOlivePickles
Cutebutpsycho
Morning Angel
ulkis
Pop'n'Fresh
katha
Kiran
Eris Rising
bookworm
Miss Moneypenny
preciosa
gannetguts
Scarlettfish
ActonBell
Luthien
inversed
Raksha
year of the cat
Unlucky Bear
particle_person
VodouDoll
demgirl
bbridges
curryalley
sagitare
YanaMei
laddical
mrinsouciance
NewYorkStranger
dreago
PrincessCleo
The Glen
blixie
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
whatthedeuce
Cynara
SelfAmused
Esseilte
Rhilin
swsa
Putli Bai
blooey
big chicken
Poubelle
Gilraen
121 posters

Page 5 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 33  Next

Go down

Psychotic Fans - Page 5 Empty Re: Psychotic Fans

Post  ActonBell Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:41 pm

After reading a lot of Thor-fandom related things online, I honestly think a lot of the Hiddleston fans are so invested in him because they a. equate Hiddleston with the Loki character and b. believe Loki's issues are the same as their own personal issues -- "Poor me, my family takes me for granted and doesn't appreciate my genius!"

To a lesser extent, I think the same holds true for the more fervent Benedict Cumberbatch fans, because they see themselves as being very smart and unable to relate to other people or the real world very well.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:49 pm

I demand that Marvel now produce a comic where the Avengers play beach volleyball. Cap's team vs. Tony's team.

If when the Avengers comes out it turns out Loki doesn't get as much screen time as the heroes, I shudder to think how those fangirls will react. I like Hiddleston just fine, but as others point out, Chris Hemsworth is right there. I do know a seven-year-old Loki fanboy, which is much more endearing than the over-intense adult fangirls of his actor. (Side note: he's so into the Thor movie and Loki in general, he asked his mother if he could have a brother!)

I think Twitter has contributed to a lot of people thinking they "know" celebrities. I only recently joined, and it's so strange to think you can follow somebody you see on screen. I haven't been able to bring myself to follow any celebrities, because it feels weird.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Luthien wrote:I demand that Marvel now produce a comic where the Avengers play beach volleyball. Cap's team vs. Tony's team.

How about tug of war? (Why are they wearing their masks? Why is Tony wearing a bathing suit OVER the Iron Man suit? So many questions.)
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:01 pm

This has inspired me to go look at pictures of Chris Hemsworth so I think I win in the end.

Oh Marvels Swimsuit Specials. You were also so 90s and so creepy.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Hey, it is Cap's team vs. Tony's team! Thor's swim trunks must be magic, since they can hold his hammer up, too. (That came out sounding dirty, but it's what's being shown in the comic, I swear!). Captain America wears a patriotic speedo, I should have guessed.

There are some great macros, gifs, and cool stuffs in the March Madness comments (I just found a great picture of the two Chrises from the Avengers set). I love how the crazy is coming out of the woodwork: I just ran across a giant gif-laden comment praising the virtues of Rose Tyler from Doctor Who. That's a long time ago in TV land. Also somebody there really wants a character from the Vampire Diaries to win: there's at least one post about her on every page.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:10 pm

Is that the one about how Elena has a face? What does that even mean?
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:57 am

I can't even vote in this initial round because the gif overload makes my old hard drive want to give up and die. I might try at the library tomorrow since the comps there aren't a million years old. I need to see the crazies for myself! I can already imagine how unbearable the Sherlock fans are this year. I wanted to try watching that show, but now I'm just pretty sick of it from seeing it all over my friends page on LJ every damn day. I almost died of shock when I saw one person admit they hated Sherlock because it seems like everyone else thinks he's God's gift to TV or something.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  katha Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:38 am

Yeah, I stay mostly out of the Sherlock fandom even though I love the show because it's...slightly intimidating. And, okay, Moffat is a bit of a troll, but no one else from the cast and crew encourages any of that in the slightest, as far as I can see, it's a bit puzzling. It's almost like it's not about the show anymore, but about people's projections, like it often is when fandom becomes slightly obsessed...

Like, for me, the premise of the show is "Sherlock is scary and awful". That's the foundation, that's why I watch it. But you have people wanting to make him into a misunderstood woobie or on the other hand insisting that the show somehow portrays him as flawless and only they see how horrible he is even though it's acknowledged in the script and in interviews again and again that "Sherlock is a monster much of the time" is a deliberate writing and acting choice. So, I don't know, it's like the freak-outs and extreme reactions to everything seem to be about something that isn't even on screen. It's strange.

katha

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Oh I'm with you. Sherlock is a dick. A grade-A dick, who's learning how to deal with people, because really, Mycroft is probably a shitty role model. I think some of it is with Paddy Jo Cumberbund and how subtle his reactions to stuff can be. You can be a dick, yet also be hurt by other people. There's a lot of layers to what's going on, but I think a lot of fans choose to believe the woobie thing because it's romantic. Or something.

It also probably doesn't help that a lot of this is with gifs where the reactions are slowed down and repeated so it's like the Zapruder film, but with a consulting detective.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Cutebutpsycho wrote:It also probably doesn't help that a lot of this is with gifs where the reactions are slowed down and repeated so it's like the Zapruder film, but with a consulting detective.

Oh that bugs me no end! Especially when they gif scenes and wax lyrical about how it shows Sherlock & John's true love and when you see it in the episode, it's nothing of the sort. Like the bit in The Great Game where Sherlock is trying to figure out what wrong about the painting and he practically shoves the phone at John, does this laugh and takes it back again to tell Moriarty what the flaw is. Slowed down, you have their hands touching as they pass the phone and there was this treatise about how their hands touched and what it meant. But in the episode, of course their hands touch because John is trying to stop the phone from falling. It's not a big deal! Stop making things into what they're not!

I mean, if you slowed down gifs of my life, you'd probably think I had strong feelings for the fridge! And we're just good friends really.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:02 pm

BC, on this very subject:

“When I am asked, ‘are you Sherlock Holmes?’ I cautiously answer, ‘No, I just look like him a bit”. And then try to leave quickly - no reason to bait the lunatics. A normal person would have asked, ‘Are you Benedict?’”
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 pm

*starts work on QueenSix/fridge shipper video to Sara Bareilles' "Gravity"*
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:17 pm

That's the first thing I thought of too, queenofdenile.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:20 pm

queenofdenile wrote:*starts work on QueenSix/fridge shipper video to Sara Bareilles' "Gravity"*

DOOOOOO IIIIIIIITTTTTTT!

Video or it didn't happen.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:BC, on this very subject:

“When I am asked, ‘are you Sherlock Holmes?’ I cautiously answer, ‘No, I just look like him a bit”. And then try to leave quickly - no reason to bait the lunatics. A normal person would have asked, ‘Are you Benedict?’”
Conan Doyle replied to that type of confusion, "So please grip this fact with your cerebral tentacle: The doll and its maker are never identical."
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:30 am

QueenSix wrote:
Cutebutpsycho wrote:It also probably doesn't help that a lot of this is with gifs where the reactions are slowed down and repeated so it's like the Zapruder film, but with a consulting detective.

Oh that bugs me no end! Especially when they gif scenes and wax lyrical about how it shows Sherlock & John's true love and when you see it in the episode, it's nothing of the sort. Like the bit in The Great Game where Sherlock is trying to figure out what wrong about the painting and he practically shoves the phone at John, does this laugh and takes it back again to tell Moriarty what the flaw is. Slowed down, you have their hands touching as they pass the phone and there was this treatise about how their hands touched and what it meant. But in the episode, of course their hands touch because John is trying to stop the phone from falling. It's not a big deal! Stop making things into what they're not!

I mean, if you slowed down gifs of my life, you'd probably think I had strong feelings for the fridge! And we're just good friends really.
And I bet if you mentioned that the hand touch meant nothing, Sherlock/John stans would probably call you a homophobe or something. Because you can't have a difference of opinion anymore without being labeled something horrible.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:38 am

THAT HAPPENED TO SOMEONE IN THE FANDOM! She said basically that she thought they were good friends and Sherlock was assexual and WHAM! the hate mail calling her a homophobe who was scared of sex.

They're also freaking out about Lucy Liu getting cast as Joan Watson because OH NO. NOW THERE WILL BE NO SLASHING OPPORTUNITIES. THERE WILL BE NO QUEER SUBTEXT. Frankly, that whole hissy fit sounds like a borderline fetish argument to me, but that's just me. Also, I sometimes get a huge whiff of misogyny and racism with their arguments.

Then I remember that it's the Internet, people are dicks to people they don't know and I back away slowly.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:43 am

There will be no queer subtext is mild since I have seen arguments that casting a woman as Watson is homophobic. Because it's erasing the queerness between Holmes and Watson.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:44 am

Yes, just from what I've gathered of the show, I get the feeling Sherlock is actually asexual, but I will be goddamned before I ever breathe a word of that on LJ. My life does not need more ridiculous stupidity or hateration.

I hope Lucy Liu doesn't have a Twitter account. If she does, she better prepare for all the crazy that'll come at her when she appears on the show. Also, WHOA! I don't watch the show, but I'm tripped out in a funny way that Lucy will be on it. She's really making the rounds on some top-rated shows, isn't she? Four for you, Lucy Coco! You go, Lucy Coco!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:47 am

That is totally their argument. Not a whiff. They are sad they can't slash them anymore. Which screams to me of fetishizing gay men to a weird degree. Especially when one of the men in question is pretty much asexual and the other is presented as heterosexual.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:52 am

Fetishizing gay/lesbian pairings seems to be the Internet's number one hobby at this point. I don't venture much into Tumblr, but on LJ, I sometimes feel like a weirdo when I actually ship something canon (usually, it happens to be hetero) instead of whatever two attractive male or female characters everyone else is drooling over and writing scary amounts of fanfic about. There's absolutely nothing wrong with homosexual characters or couplings, but it almost feels like that's all I ever see even when the characters are say, related by blood (Wincest), or something.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:55 am

I think the problem to me is a lot of times they ignore the actual gay characters, to pair together characters that are presented as straight. And with some of the fangirls I think its a "If I can't have them, no woman can" mentality. Which is strange. BECAUSE THEY ARE FICTIONAL.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:56 am

That's exactly it. But I think there's also some anger at how it appears that CBS is jumping on the bandwagon right after the BBC's success. I think that there's this fear that if an American company does it, it's going to be shit.

I can understand wanting to see gay relationships on television more, given the lack of them, but there's a certain point with all of this where I wonder if they're just wanting to see gay men for the same reason some people like seeing lesbians -- just the idea of two hot guys fucking. Which is kind of fetishistic to me.

Frankly, I have my own reservations about the whole damn thing, but after watching the insane reaction from some of the fans? I want this to succeed. Big time. Just to drive home the point that the BBC doesn't have a lock on Sherlock Holmes. Their show isn't canon. It's an adaptation. And people need to deal with it.

Also, BBC fans who say that Gregson is a copy of Lestrade need to sit down, shut up and read the fucking books before they start spouting off. Gregson was there from the first fucking novel and is the opposite of Lestrade. /nerd rant.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:01 am

I agree. I still think Elementary is going to suck, but not because Watson is going to be an evil female. I actually think Lucy Liu will probably do the role justice.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:07 am

Cutebutpsycho wrote:I can understand wanting to see gay relationships on television more, given the lack of them, but there's a certain point with all of this where I wonder if they're just wanting to see gay men for the same reason some people like seeing lesbians -- just the idea of two hot guys fucking. Which is kind of fetishistic to me.
Yup, that's pretty much the feeling I get from most Sherlock stans. They just see two attractive people together and want them to happen even if all contextual evidence from the show says those two people are not currently, nor will they ever, ride the hobby horse. (Yes, the phrase "riding the hobby horse" amuses me. What of it!)

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 33  Next