Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctor Who

+44
LadyGayle
salamandersam
Crackie
Rhilin
Melk
Corvus
MichiSichi
snorf
Mulva
mrinsouciance
Author By Night
dday515
Shalamar
big chicken
jensa
lisaslobe
Wilhelmina
Tabby
Pop'n'Fresh
mandalaya
Evil Lincoln
epudom
Snarker
Red Wolf
Genevieve
RiverThames
nazlan
Gallifrey Girl
Putli Bai
punzy
Cutebutpsycho
Scarlettfish
Esseilte
ActonBell
dionneshea
SarahJanet
QueenSix
bbridges
laddical
tothemax
allochthonous
Raksha
Eris Rising
Luthien
48 posters

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Doctor Who - Page 13 Empty Re: Doctor Who

Post  Raksha Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:43 am

For those of you who like the radio serials, BBC Radio 4 Extra is having a lot of Doctor Who goodness this week! You can listen to the entirety of "Doctor Who and the Daleks" and "Protect and Survive" right now. The ones listed above those will be available one a day over the next few days. Fun!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:19 pm

Got my ticket for the 50th Anniversay special in 3D. Not really a fan of 3D but if noting else the opening credits should be awesome.

Also, check out todays Google Homepage. Made of win.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:35 am

Was not expecting to be a big ol' ball of weepiness following "An Adventure In Space And Time".

But then...

Spoiler:

And...
Spoiler:

Also, what's the British version of the Emmy? Because David Bradley may deserve two handfuls of them.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:37 pm

I agree! I didn't think that I would love An Adventure is Space and Time as much as I did but it was great. I like Jessica Raine from Call the Midwife so it was fun to see her playing a very different sort of character, even if she was still in period costume!

David Bradley was wonderful. And the whole thing was such a nice tribute to the show and to that particular place and time and the people who made it possible.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Can't even. So many thoughts. Four! Thirteen! Clippage of the rest! The Doctor's worst day reclaimed! Ten and Eleven being adorkable together to the consternation of Eight Point Five!

I'm a little disappointed that Ten didn't really get to interact with the Bad Wolf, but I like that that's how they brought Rose back instead of dragging her out of her happy ending or whatever.

I loved it. I'm sure there are a number of disgruntled and dissatisfied fans out there waiting to tell me everything that's wrong with it, but I loved it.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:39 pm

laddical wrote:Can't even. So many thoughts. Four! Thirteen! Clippage of the rest! The Doctor's worst day reclaimed! Ten and Eleven being adorkable together to the consternation of Eight Point Five!

I'm a little disappointed that Ten didn't really get to interact with the Bad Wolf, but I like that that's how they brought Rose back instead of dragging her out of her happy ending or whatever.

I loved it. I'm sure there are a number of disgruntled and dissatisfied fans out there waiting to tell me everything that's wrong with it, but I loved it.
Yes to 99% of this. I was never a fan of Rose but I loved how they used her here, and so it really worked for me that they didn't have her interact with Ten.

There are a lot of disgruntled fans out there, but they are being OVERWHELMED by the number of Whovians who are head over heels in love with The Day of the Doctor. And I'm firmly on the LOVE LOVE LOVE side.

I also loved the use of Kate Stewart, and how she is a great successor to her dad. Loved the Queen Elizabeth I thing being explained. Loved the rabbit.

All-in-all, I'm a big pile of squishy love right now. Yay!
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:40 pm

I just finished watching Day of the Doctor - and I immediately tweeted "That right there? That was perfect." Because it was. I'm sure, as always happens, they'll be be commentary that makes me view the episode differently in the future, but for an hour and twenty minutes, I was entertained, moved, and sitting at home alone, I clapped my hands when they all showed up to Galifrey. Everything I wanted in a 50th anniversary, without being TOO "a very special episode."

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:49 pm

My only real thought is that I was right. I've been sure the Time Lords were coming back in the 50th ever since we knew we were going back to the Time War and I was right.

I also just loved all of it. All three of them were wonderful. Billie Piper was great. Kate Stewart is also great. I'm just overflowing with love and joy and now I will watch it again.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaslobe Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:26 pm

FanTAStic!  I loved it from the beginning, Old School title to very end.  LOVED Ten, Eleven, and a cranky 8.5 together.  Bad Wolf Rose was great, without hopping across Universes again.  The use of the painting was fantastic (and a neat little effect).  And I'm really glad that they found a way to bring back the Time Lords which potentially tones down at least a BIT of PTSD Doctor, going forward -- while maintaining continuity with Nine and Ten through the "no memory of these events" jazz.  I called the "No, wait, thirteen!" brief glimpse of Capaldi, which was awesome.  I'm going to miss Matt Smith something fierce, but can't wait to see what Capaldi will do.

I'm working my way through Classic Who, having started watching during Nine's season, and, um, I got totally teary when Tom Baker showed up.  I hope someone who's been watching for 30, 40, or all 50 years felt the same.  "Gallifrey Falls No More" indeed. [sniff]

lisaslobe

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:16 am

Loved it!
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Oh that was so bloody good. I watched An Adventure in Space and Time first (left me bawling; David Bradley is phenomenal). But Day of the Doctor was so much fun, and has left me so excited for Capaldi. I was crossing my fingers for an Eccleston cameo (and seriously, I refuse to believe that playing that elf dude in Thor 2 is more satisfying than being the Doctor), but it was a brilliant reclaiming of the worst day of the Doctor's life, while perfectly setting up the future of the series. John Hurt was fantastic - whatever else they get wrong, the DW team has a perfect track record for casting the man himself.

Finished up with The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, written by Peter Davison, about the quest of Five, Six and Seven to get a part in the 50th anniversary special. Screamingly funny, and with some brilliant cameos which it would spoil to reveal. Very well worth half an hour of your time if you need more Doctor (I defy you to watch the trailer and not immediately inhale the whole thing).
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:31 pm

I was so stinking excited when we got that brief glimpse of Capaldi's eyes. That was an excellent touch. And I feel a lot better about the casting of Capaldi after the chiding 8.5 gave Ten and Eleven about retreating into childishness - as if going older again is part of the Doctor's acceptance of his whole self again. Granted, I was never opposed to Capaldi, I just had been hoping for something other than another white male. That scene gave the choice to go with Capaldi some in-story thematic weight, though.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 pm

That was brilliant, and so fun!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:49 pm

That was perfect - I clapped, I laughed, I teared up. ANd the sold out theatre I was in clapped, laughed, and teared up along with me.

Loved this line in particular: "Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame, whatever the cost."

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:44 am

Chana (Mrs. Rising, to use the common if somewhat cutesy nomenclature) wasn't able to see it, and isn't sure when she'll have the time to sit and watch it, so she asked me a couple of questions.

Spoiler:
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:49 am

LOVED Ten, Eleven, and a cranky 8.5 together.
You mean Sand Shoes, Chinny, and Grandpa. :D
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Were I to be foolish enough to raise a complaint (suicidal, even), I would say this: after watching Smith and Tennant being variously manic, enigmatic, charming, threatening, grand, petty, profoundly human yet very alien, one minute of Tom Baker caused me to think 'That's how it's done, boys.'

Adventures in Space and Time was fantastic.

Meanwhile, as 50th anniversary celebrations go, this is more like it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03lv3mj

Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaslobe Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:09 pm

Shalamar wrote:
LOVED Ten, Eleven, and a cranky 8.5 together.
You mean Sand Shoes, Chinny, and Grandpa.  :D
Ha!  Yes, that's exactly what I meant.  Which reminded me of one of my favorite Chinny nickname moments from "The Impossible Astronaut" re: Amy, Rory, and River: "These are my top operatives: The Legs, The Nose, and Mrs. Robinson." "Oh, I hate you."

lisaslobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:13 pm

I loved it! I really loved 10's "Timey-Wimey? I don't know where he gets that". It was great seeing Tom Baker again.

I just wish the Avatar had been Donna shouting at 8.5 instead of Rose.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:12 pm

So, something I haven't seen discussed *anywhere*... why was Wheezy Girl named Osgood? What's her relationship with Clara? Is Clara the sister the Zygon would have preferred to copy? One would expect some recognition there between them when they're in the Undergallery. So... no known relationship at present. But you can't just have a character named Osgood in a scene with Clara Osgood Oswald and not have it mean something. Or is it just so painfully obvious to everyone but me that no one's felt the need to discuss it?

ETA: Title and early details on the Christmas special.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Clara's name is Clara Oswin Oswald. So, no relation.

Some people are saying she might be the daughter or relation of Tom Osgood who worked at UNIT under the Brig.

I went and watched it in the theatre last night with the 3D and all the fancy bits. It was just as enjoyable the second time, and I caught things I had missed the first time out.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:28 pm

D'oh. Too many Os's. The Moff apparently has a type.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:13 am

Spoiler:
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Over on my blog I'm doing a rewatch of Matt Smith's entire run leading up to the "The Time of the Doctor".

Speaking of which...

TRAILER!

"If you want my life... COME! AND! GET IT!"

So excited! So sad. And excited! And sad.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:30 am

I just read this over on facebook about Tom Baker's favourite Doctor Who memory. Can it be true because I want it to be true? Has anyone heard him verify this?

I remember a man stopping me in Oxford Street once, looking at me with absolute incredulity; he couldn't believe it. He said, 'Tom Baker?' A man in his late thirties. I said, 'Yes'. He said, 'Tom Baker?' I said, 'Yes!' And he looked at me and in his brain he catapulted back in time and he said, 'You know, when I was a boy, I was in a home for children; nobody wanted us, you know? It was terrible. And you made Saturday night good.' And I went to say something to him and I could see him so close to tears that he couldn't speak. And he shook his head as if to say, 'Don't go on, don't remind me' and he just did [a thumbs up]. Such a common thing, isn't it, but suddenly backed up with an expression on his face through his tears that was a knighthood. It was a kinghthood. Just thumbs up, meaning it was great, and thanks. It's incredible, isn't it? Just a gesture.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum