Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies at Home

+95
Shadowlass
draco vulgaris
ariadne
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
PineappleGirl
Coneycat
Poubelle
big chicken
Grainne Mhaol
salamandersam
Raised by wolves
wenchsenior
sen3
puddingcup
PrincessCleo
Never Enough
Bad Username
dreago
Escape
mandalaya
UmaOprah
chibimanda
Fiammetta
Carrie Ann
jensa
Swarley
Luthien
darthtall
pamchenko
ActonBell
FiggyPudding
Agent Sculder
Jamie
Tabby
Raksha
ulkis
epudom
mrinsouciance
The Dude
Menshevixen
Snarryfan
swsa
Matinee
MaddyCat
Jude
Gillian
Miss Moneypenny
xyzzy
TiffanyNichelle
Cutebutpsycho
biakbiak
themis
truecrystal
Corellderaan
RiverThames
tothemax
Eris Rising
laurelin_kit
rivki8699
mokey75
jaraga
Instant Monkeys
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Auroura76
Gallifrey Girl
killershrew
QueenSix
punzy
bbridges
caltrask55
sagitare
Red Wolf
laddical
nikita
Algae
Rhilin
Binky
choubetcha
naughty zoot
mayram
inversed
Unlucky Bear
curryalley
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Morning Angel
Cynara
eventide82
jcpdiesel21
queenofdenile
blixie
katesti
Putli Bai
99 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Movies at Home - Page 40 Empty Re: Movies at Home

Post  PineappleGirl Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:05 pm

I didn't actually really like War Horse that much, but it made me cry three separate times - I actually was angry about it, like, "I don't even LIKE this movie, and I am sobbing so hard I have a headache. DAMN YOU SPIELBERG!" (I've never even touched a horse in my life, so I wasn't coming in with my own personal experiences of horse ownership - though I read "Saddle Club" and "Thoroughbred" in elementary school and was slightly obsessed with the idea of horses.) It was a gorgeous movie to look at, with a pretty (though overwrought) score, and I really cared about the horses. But the movie overall? Meh.
PineappleGirl
PineappleGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:13 pm

The horses were lovely. But the early parts of the film were so hokey with stuff like all the villagers coming out to see the horse plow a field and the alcoholic dad and the long-suffering mom - it reminded me of the really bad live action 60s Disney films. To be honest I didn't make it much past the death of Hiddleston.

Last edited by naughty zoot on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Speaking of the aforementioned Tom Hiddleston, I've been watching what's largely responsible for him becoming famous. And technically, it's not a "movie", but since each episode is an hour and a half, each episode of Wallander practically is a movie. It's a BBC crime drama/mystery show starring Kenneth Branagh as Inspector Kurt Wallander, and Tom Hiddleston is one of the junior detectives who he works with. (Hiddleston was able to audition for Thor because Kenneth Branagh convinced the Marvel people he was worth seeing.) Anyhoo, the show is really good, although it could almost be called "Terrible Things Happen Every Time Wallander's Phone Rings". Seriously, after about the fifth episode you just DREAD that phone ringing. Watching it has really reminded me what a good actor Branagh is. Too bad he doesn't get to do it more often. Oh and I also learned from watching this show that Sweden is ridiculously gorgeous. They actually shoot the episodes on location there, and now I am dying to go visit. So so pretty. And I don't just mean Hiddleston's cheekbones.

Another good BBC crime show that's available streaming is The Fall. It's set in Belfast, and Gillian Anderson plays a detective superintendent from London who has been sent there to review a young woman's murder investigation to make sure the local PD didn't screw it up. And while she's investigating it becomes very clear a serial killer is at work. The show doesn't hide the identity of the killer (he's played by the actor who was the Huntsman/Sheriff on Once Upon a Time) so the show really revolves around catching him. Gillian Anderson is great, and her character is really interesting. The first season is only five hour long episodes, so it doesn't take that long to burn through all of them.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Adventures in Amazon Prime led my husband and I to a truly dreadful rom-com called Happy Accidents. We only made it twenty minutes in. Bottom line: Vincent D'Onofrio should never play the lead in a rom-com. All the behaviors that were supposed to be quirky/endearing (in rom-com land, anyway) came across as off-putting and creepy (just like in real life!).

We moved on to Benny and Joon, which was much better, despite it being of the oh-so-90s "severe mental illness can be solved with the love of a hot guy" genre. I was reminded why so many women (myself included) had a massive crush on Johnny Depp back in the day.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Agent Sculder wrote:Speaking of the aforementioned Tom Hiddleston, I've been watching what's largely responsible for him becoming famous.  And technically, it's not a "movie", but since each episode is an hour and a half, each episode of Wallander practically is a movie.  It's a BBC crime drama/mystery show starring Kenneth Branagh as Inspector Kurt Wallander, and Tom Hiddleston is one of the junior detectives who he works with.  (Hiddleston was able to audition for Thor because Kenneth Branagh convinced the Marvel people he was worth seeing.)  Anyhoo, the show is really good, although it could almost be called "Terrible Things Happen Every Time Wallander's Phone Rings".  Seriously, after about the fifth episode you just DREAD that phone ringing.  Watching it has really reminded me what a good actor Branagh is.  Too bad he doesn't get to do it more often.  Oh and I also learned from watching this show that Sweden is ridiculously gorgeous.  They actually shoot the episodes on location there, and now I am dying to go visit.  So so pretty.  And I don't just mean Hiddleston's cheekbones.
That show is such a major downer that my husband and I always swear we won't watch it. And we don't, unless we flip past. Then we inevitably pause, and Branagh sucks us in for another depressing round of viewing. Kind of pisses us off, but we're helpless to resist.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:52 pm

I agree. Wallander is "good", I suppose, but so bleak I can't watch it. I first saw Hiddleston as the cheerful young Mr Buxton in Return to Cranford, really similar to actual Hiddleston. So glad Branagh gave him his big break as Loki. I love when actors play characters so different from type.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:58 pm

We watched a gorgeous French film from 2012 called Comme un chef (The Chef) with Jean Reno last night. It was a sweet, funny film about a famous chef and a younger chef who can't keep a job because he is such a perfectionist. I highly recommend it if you're ever after something light and fluffy!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:35 am

eventide82 wrote:We watched a gorgeous French film from 2012 called Comme un chef (The Chef) with Jean Reno last night. It was a sweet, funny film about a famous chef and a younger chef who can't keep a job because he is such a perfectionist. I highly recommend it if you're ever after something light and fluffy!
Thank you for the recommendation! That sounds right up my alley. :)
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:37 am

wenchsenior wrote:
Agent Sculder wrote:Speaking of the aforementioned Tom Hiddleston, I've been watching what's largely responsible for him becoming famous.  And technically, it's not a "movie", but since each episode is an hour and a half, each episode of Wallander practically is a movie.  It's a BBC crime drama/mystery show starring Kenneth Branagh as Inspector Kurt Wallander, and Tom Hiddleston is one of the junior detectives who he works with.  (Hiddleston was able to audition for Thor because Kenneth Branagh convinced the Marvel people he was worth seeing.)  Anyhoo, the show is really good, although it could almost be called "Terrible Things Happen Every Time Wallander's Phone Rings".  Seriously, after about the fifth episode you just DREAD that phone ringing.  Watching it has really reminded me what a good actor Branagh is.  Too bad he doesn't get to do it more often.  Oh and I also learned from watching this show that Sweden is ridiculously gorgeous.  They actually shoot the episodes on location there, and now I am dying to go visit.  So so pretty.  And I don't just mean Hiddleston's cheekbones.
That show is such a major downer that my husband and I always swear we won't watch it. And we don't, unless we flip past. Then we inevitably pause, and Branagh sucks us in for another depressing round of viewing. Kind of pisses us off, but we're helpless to resist.
I shamelessly purchased that for Tom Hiddleston, and my sister and I watched several episodes together. We agree about Wallander's Ringtone Of Impending Doom, because that NEVER means anything good. Also, we thought the Hiddleston character probably needs to be mentored more than Wallander is capable of doing. And also that Kurt should get a dog or something, as long as he also arranged for a local kid to walk and feed him when Kurt was off dealing with the Terrible Things.

I like it a lot, but I've learned not to watch two episodes in a row because it gives me the urge to drink vodka (I don't drink) and sit in the dark.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  themis Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Agent Sculder wrote:
Another good BBC crime show that's available streaming is The Fall.  (snip) The first season is only five hour long episodes, so it doesn't take that long to burn through all of them.
Thanks for that, I mainlined those yesterday. Just - well done all around.

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Notes on a Scandal, which was so good, but I don't know why they completely changed the ending from the book. Both Dench and Blanchett fabulous, no surprise. The scenes with the 15 yr old were so uncomfortable (the actor was 16 or 17, but still). I wonder why it didn't get more attention when it came out. I half blame the title, which is think is terrible.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:53 pm

It was quite well recieved. Both Dench and Blanchett were nominated for oscars and I think Bill Nighy got some awards attention too.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:51 pm

You're right, they were nominated for a bunch of things, but didn't win much. Anyway, it was good, in spite of the ending.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:03 pm

I saw The A-Team today. It was terrible and kinda boring. But worst of all was Jessical Biel's performance. She was the least convincing Army officer I have ever seen (and in this movie especially, that is saying something). She was childish, smug, and totally unprofessional, and most of that is down to her performance. I can't really recall having seen her in anything else, so is she always this dreadful or was this movie just special?
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:32 pm

I don't ever hate her but I don't ever notice her either. She is the definition of bland. Except in Easy Virtue and The Illusionist. She was surprisingly good in those.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:16 am

I remember she looked really good in a suit in the A-Team, but the camera wouldn't focus on her long enough for me to really appreciate it. I'm shallow.

-------

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=510

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40