Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fan Fiction

+46
ulkis
Carrie Ann
BrightEyes
PineappleGirl
Author By Night
punzy
nazlan
chibimanda
mandalaya
Pop'n'Fresh
year of the cat
Mulva
Gallifrey Girl
salamandersam
Eris Rising
Instant Monkeys
Matinee
allochthonous
bbridges
pizzagirl20
MtOlivePickles
curryalley
Putli Bai
sagitare
Cutebutpsycho
mo pie
Snarryfan
Fiammetta
sixchooks
sen3
big chicken
Lis
dreago
vwlphb
Binky
rivki8699
laddical
laurelin_kit
particle_person
jstilwe
Miss Moneypenny
Coneycat
Rhilin
Cynara
alexdegenhardt
Raksha
50 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Fan Fiction - Page 2 Empty Re: Fan Fiction

Post  dreago Wed May 30, 2012 12:19 am

Stupid, stupid Once Upon a Time! I've been obsessed with "Rumbelle" fic ever since they aired an episode devoted to Beauty and the Beast, my favorite of the fairy tales. This lady did a list of the best of the best and she's pretty much right. It isn't easy writing good Rumbelle. Too many fangirls gloss over his evil or others just make it one long S&M parade. Worse of all, is when a fic is good but after they finally get together, it becomes nothing but shmoop. If I wanted shmoop, I'd read Snow/Charming fic.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  Lis Wed May 30, 2012 11:46 am

Not new, but I hadn't seen it before: Simon Amstell listening to slash fiction about himself.
Heh.

(I'm sorry that doesn't have anything to do with anything else in this thread, and I myself don't like real person fic, but - that video!)

Lis

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Wed May 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Are there any SHIELD/Men in Black crossover fics? Because when the end of Iron Men 2 showed Coulson in New Mexico, I half expected Will Smith to pop up with a "Hey, Coulson!"

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed May 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Don't know about fics, but there is this.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:57 am

Since S2 of the Game of Thrones TV show, I have had a serious Jaqen H'ghar problem which has lead me to reading some questionable GoT fanfic. Though as soon as it seems like it's squicky Arya/Jaqen pedofic, I'm out.

But my prayers have been answered with a modern-day England AU Arya and Jaqen centered fic that so far is pretty darn great. It has forced me to finally do what I needed to do to read fic on my phone so I can read it at every opportunity.

The Red and The White, highly recommended. There are 24 chapters so far, but it's still a WIP.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:38 am

Since several of us over in the Unpopular Movie Opinions thread were talking about how much we love The Losers (my people!!!), I thought I'd post some links to fics, since I cannot stop obsessing right now. I'm not usually into slash (unless it's canon, but I've never been sure if that really counts as slash then, as I've regularly seen it described as specifically non-canon), but for some reason Jensen/Cougar works for me. I don't know why, but it does, and that's a good thing considering the vast majority of fic in this fandom has that in some capacity!

Anyway:

Everything by Storm_Petrel is awesome. Like, I even read the werewolf AU, even though as a general rule I don't read werewolf AUs because I don't care for werewolf stories in general. But it was great! So was -
* "dia de los muertos (or, fifteen things the losers gave to the dead)" - "It's the one holiday they actually mark with any kind of consistency."
* "The dashboard melted (but we still had the radio)" - "In 2009, Jensen got a new team, fell stupid in love, and learned about sharks, the great organizing principle of the universe and crushing chest injuries. Not necessarily in that order."
* "inside there's an army waiting (for their marching orders from you)" - They always get better. Maybe that's the problem. This one is beyond creepy.

I like a lot of stuff by Pistol, particularly -
* "We Know How It Works (the world is no longer mysterious)" - One of my favorites. A loooong multi-chapter sort-of-prequel (maybe a touch AU? I dunno) about Jensen joining the military, meeting Cougar during training, then becoming part of the Losers. So so good. Also, you don't have to read the first part of that series, but it's not quite as long and it's good too.
* "Applied Force" - An enjoyably dark take on Jensen and Cougar's devotion to him.
* "Like a Blessing (like a knee to the chest)" - I rarely read WIPs because my heart has been broken too many times, but this author is good about updating so I'm taking a chance. Also, I'm usually super picky about AUs (pretty much the only genre of AU I'll always click on is Apoca-fic), but this fandom actually has some good ones. Like this one. This one opens with Cougar meeting the Losers while Jensen is...indisposed...and really focuses a lot on the team dynamics. If you want to know what kind of AU this is, click this, but it's honestly more fun if it's a surprise.
Spoiler:

Some other random goodness:
* "The Sniper at the Gates of Heaven" by JoeLawson - APOCA-FIC! There are two things I'm a complete sucker for: road trip fic and apoca-fic. Not only does this have both, it's really well done! I like the POV changes.
* "I, The Endless Sky" by lady_krysis - Aisha's a tough character to get a hold on. This is a nice little peek into her head. I think it draws more on her characterization in the comic rather than the movie.
* "How to Become a Loser in Twelve Easy Steps" by Marvinetta - Nice gen team bonding when Cougar joins the team.
* "Staring Down the Barrel" by zillah975 - A long, plotty apocalyptic-ish fic with some nice Roque redemption.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Hallo! I'm watching through Doctor Who on Netflix and we've reached the end of Ten, alas. Do any of you have really good Rose/Handy fics, post-Doomsday? That matchup was so poignant yet so weird that I'd love to see how some really good writers deal with it. I've got a couple lined up from the het-fic reccers site, but I trust you guys more.

I also wouldn't mind some good Avatar: TLA fic if anyone's sitting on any. A healthy amount of time post-series would be good. I browsed AO3 but nothing blew me away.

Unsurprisingly, my recent obsession was Sherlock BBC fic, and I recommend holyfant's The Fabric of Life as well as aderyn's prose poems.
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:28 pm

sixchooks wrote:Unsurprisingly, my recent obsession was Sherlock BBC fic, and I recommend holyfant's The Fabric of Life as well as aderyn's prose poems.

Speaking of BBC Sherlock fanfic, I have a few recs. Every fandom has their share of His Dark Materials crossovers, and Republic of Heaven by Blind-Author is a really amazing example. It's incredibly long, still a WIP but I'd say don't let that stop you from diving into her amazing world. She included way more of the HDM universe than just "people have daemons," and in a way that is intrinsic to the story instead of tacked on, to the point where I almost forgot the characters don't have daemons in canon. The story is very plotty, though it starts with world building and following series one. It might be my favorite fanfic at the moment. It is John/Sherlock slash, but it's got a slow build so I'd say read the first few parts even if that's not for you, just to get a taste for the combination of the canons.

Another good series, written entirely pre-series-two, is Wordstring's Paradox Universe. It's also John/Sherlock, and they're pretty codependent and messed up in it, but it's really well written and long if you're looking for something to sit down with for a day.

Finally, Two Two One Bravo Baker by abundentlyqueer. Another fantastically long, plotty, and well written series. This one is an AU where Sherlock goes to Afghanistan to investigate a case and meets John while he's still stationed there. Also John/Sherlock. If you like case-fiction, this is the one for you. (But seriously, I recommend all three.)

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:09 pm

One of my favorite Sherlock fics is a wingfic. (No pairings, it's not squicky.) A City on the Head of a Pin, by Mad Maudlin, is thoughtful and lovely.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:07 am

Guys, I can't even stop reading Avengers fic. Seriously. Do you KNOW how dangerous the combination of AO3 and a Kindle is?

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 am

Same here. If people don't mind slashy pairings I highly recommend "So No One Told You" It is an Avengers/Friends AU that works really well and the writer captured the voices of the characters even if their context is completely different. Plus, it will make you laugh.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 am

Cynara wrote:Guys, I can't even stop reading Avengers fic. Seriously. Do you KNOW how dangerous the combination of AO3 and a Kindle is?

Welcome to my life. I was just going to read ONE highly recommended fic. And then I learned the entire Marvel canon by accident.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 pm

sixchooks wrote:Hallo! I'm watching through Doctor Who on Netflix and we've reached the end of Ten, alas. Do any of you have really good Rose/Handy fics, post-Doomsday? That matchup was so poignant yet so weird that I'd love to see how some really good writers deal with it. I've got a couple lined up from the het-fic reccers site, but I trust you guys more.

Orange_crushed's Peace in Our Time, and absoluetly Maturity, because that one is hilarious. There's also rosa_arcicularis' The Rather Odd Couple for more in the vein of funny/sexy/poignant.

The Alt-Verse is a series of stories by a variety of writers with a stronger focus on adventures than romance with an overarching theme.

And then here's a pile recs I haven't completely made my way through, so can't really vouch for the quality of everything..

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  mo pie Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:07 pm

sixchooks, thanks for the Fabric of Life rec. It's the first Sherlock fic I've read and it's amazing.

mo pie

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Guys, if you have any awesome Avengers recs, please post them. I fell hard.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Any particular ships? Gen/Slash/Het?

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Any and all? I'm particularly in love with fics that have the whole team being awesome together. I've mostly read Tony/Steve, and almost exclusively on AO3, but I'd love recs outside that pairing. So long as there's no Loki apologism, cause that pisses me off.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:31 pm

Somewhat random - I went to a performance of Naked Girls Reading last night, and the theme was Sci Fi. The MC read a portion of an old fan-mag Kirk/Spock fic. I about died laughing. And then I commented to the hostess that I was surprised that the author hadn't specified that Spock's flush was greenish, since Vulcans have a copper based blood system. This apparently made me queen nerd for the night. I thought everyone knew that (and yeah, I learned that via fic).
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:48 pm

rivki8699 wrote:Guys, if you have any awesome Avengers recs, please post them. I fell hard.
Any Way I Do (Clint/Natasha) and Subject to Change (Natasha character study, with some Steve/Natasha thrown in) were recced on pages 1 and 2.

I also really enjoyed The Captain and the Man of Iron, a Saga by Thor Odinsson, beta by Loki Laufeyjarson (Steve Rogers Must Die: the In Tony Stark’s Arms Mix) by arysteia.

Do any of you have really good Rose/Handy fics, post-Doomsday?
Eight Days a Week by roachpatrol (PG) - The Duplicate Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler finally have their Happily Ever After. The problem with Happily Ever After is that it's really boring.

The Perils of Fame by shinyopals (PG) - Ten II and Rose deal with the invasive media of Pete's World. I kind of love this -- especially the bits about the comments on the Internet (meta!) and the broadsheets pretending to be above that sort of thing!

Five Things That Were Different About the Parallel Universe and One Thing That Wasn't by goldy-dollar and shinyopals (PG) - Ten II grows accustomed to the little quirks of the parallel world that Rose came to accept a while ago, like toothpaste being turnip-flavored and not minty or bananas being a rare delicacy, not easily obtained.

Ever the Same by surrexi (Unrated) - A lovely series of post-"Journey's End" Ten II/Rose drabbles, with a fanmix soundtrack for the piece *and* related icons.

The Devil You Know by rosa-acicularis (Adult) - Great post-"Journey's End" mystery. I had no idea what was going on in this story until the reveal (and I mean that in the best way possible). There are so many details I love, but I don't want to give away whodunit and what-was-done. If you've ever had even the tiniest bit of love for Rose, you *must* read this fic.

Also, I'm definitely seconding the same author's "The Rather Odd Couple."

Pharmakos by radiantbaby (PG) - Explaining the title, the author writes:
The title comes from the Ancient Greek festival of Thargelia where a scapegoat or “pharmakos” was chosen amongst the community and then expelled (and sacrificed, according to some scholars) during a time of crisis in order to purify the community. The casting off of the alternate version of Ten – seemingly a symbol and effigy of the Doctor’s sins – into the alt!verse (i.e., outside of the “community” of our own world), reminded me of this practice, so it is alluded to in the story.

In Another Life by sam-storyteller (PG-13) - I read this fic in one swoop. Part of my problem with "Journey's End," is that Ten II/Rose didn't feel like the ending of a story but the beginning of another one--that we'd never see. This is a wonderful attempt to fill in that story.

these are the echoes of stories never told by jeanne-dark (PG) - I really like the idea that the half-human Doctor is willing to tell Rose about his past in ways that the original Doctor was too alien or too much of an asshat to reveal. I thought having the Doctor II draw his past selves and earlier companions was a nice touch, in light of the sketches in "Human Nature."

Also, maybe not quite what you're asking for, but still very, very good:
The Cold Heaven by wendymr (PG-13). Post-"Journey's End" and post-"Children of Earth," Jack crosses dimensions, ends up in Pete's World, and is found by Rose and Ten II. This Jack is *purposefully* running away from "our" Doctor, which makes an interesting parallel. The Doctor was running away from Jack before, and now Jack is running away from the Doctor. I say that it may not be quite what you wanted, because it is Rose/Handy/Jack, not just Rose/Handy, but I hope that doesn't deter you!

Speaking of BBC Sherlock fanfic, I have a few recs. Every fandom has their share of His Dark Materials crossovers,
I'm not really interested in reading most Sherlock solo fanfic, because the entire series strikes me as one giant modern day AU fanfic, anyway. One of the few I've liked is Jawn of the Dead by Silver Pard (T), which is further proof that everything is better with zombies.

Yet, despite the above, I can't seem to get enough of Sherlock crossovers. I don't know what that says about my tastes. There's an amazing Doctor Who crossover series by TheShoelessOne called Two Doctors, A Nurse, A Detective and A Scot (K+), which is basically what it says in the title: Eleven, John, Rory, Sherlock, and Amy in the TARDIS:
Rory sticks his head into the kitchen and tells Amy and John that there's another battle of the clever people going on, and so they go about strapping things down.

And sometimes they'll gather around and watch the two smartest beings in the universe have it out. Rory makes tea and gets out the tin of biscuits from the market on Antigone, Amy throws blankets over everyone's shoulders, and they settle in for the show.
Unfortunately, the author does not have all the stories compiled in one place (that I could find), so if you want to read them in order, they are:
Two Doctors, A Nurse, A Detective and A Scot
The Joke is Better the Second Time
Third Times the Charm
I've Forgotten the Punchline

The author has also written a few ficlets set in the same 'verse but at no particular point in the timeline:
Mixed Signals, Same Old Story, and Some One Liners

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:02 pm

mo pie wrote:sixchooks, thanks for the Fabric of Life rec. It's the first Sherlock fic I've read and it's amazing.

Ain't it just? Chapter One is pretty much my headcanon for their reunion scene. I like fics that point out really key things about what happened in the actual show, such as
Spoiler:

My firstie is The Shape I Found You In and its sequel, Lay Me Down, by irisbleufic and moony on LJ, excellent writers. That's a post-S1 fic, partly epistolary, for which I am a huge sucker.

Theory and Practice is a really delightful Sherlock/HDM crossover. Also, check [http://reapersun.tumblr.com/post/19501759311/tumblr-im-sorry-but-i-really-like-this-au-fic]this illustration[/url] and the linked fic. Sherlock/Pern!

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for all the DW recs!! I've been wanting Avengers stuff too, but had no idea where to start.
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Some Avengers recs:

Steve/Tony:
Have you read Ready, Fire, Aim and Semaphore?

Everything by Sam Storyteller.
Everything by Scifigrl47
Breakfast Is the Most Important Meal, in which Steve mistakes Emma Frost for a stripper and it's all downhill from there.

Darcy/Steve (I love me some weird pairings):
you and your high top sneakers...
An Old Solution.

Mostly Gen
To Be Modified As Necessary

And I know RPF isn't everyone's cuppa, but Goldfish Style actually made me snort-laugh. Totally gen, featuring Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, an RDJ cameo, and a whole lot of insanity.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm sorry, did someone say Avengers recs? (Disclaimer: I ship anyone and everyone in this fandom.)

The completed fills on the LJ Avengers kink meme. 58 pages and counting of pretty much anything you want/think you might want/suddenly realize you want.

If you go to AO3 Marvel Avengers Movie Universe, and sort by hits highest to lowest, pretty much all the fics on the first 10-20 pages are good (except I hate Loki fics and don't read them, so I don't know). A few personal recs:

ETA: Miss Moneypenny beat me to scifigrl47 and Ready, Fire, Aim. They really are totally the best.

Bulletproof and Launch Your Assault are the Steve/Tony and Clint/Phil college!AU you never knew you always wanted. Launch has a great sequel by a different author linked at the bottom.

You know you want to read about Clint and Darcy's "epic failboaty romance:" Gift of Asylum and its sequels.

The Last Love Song of Anthony E. Stark is, like, just...bring tissues and then be like "THIS IS ALL FAKE, LIKE AN EXTRA STEP OF FAKE BEYOND FICTION, STOP CRYING, SELF" and then don't care and cry more.

I have some good Tony/Pepper and Clint/Natasha somewhere; I'll find it later.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Cynara wrote:I'm sorry, did someone say Avengers recs? (Disclaimer: I ship anyone and everyone in this fandom.

Yeah...I don't. Ao3 disabling their filtering is the worst thing for that fandom. Because I only want to read certain pairings or Gen, but I have to go through a gazillion pages of Steve/Tony and Coulson/anyone just to get there. >:O
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 pm

The completed fills on the LJ Avengers kink meme. 58 pages and counting of pretty much anything you want/think you might want/suddenly realize you want.

I've been pretty pleased by the quality of the writing on there (and the low incidence of soul-scarring. Always a plus.)

I have some good Tony/Pepper

GIMME. Er, I mean, that would be nice!
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Binky wrote:
Cynara wrote:I'm sorry, did someone say Avengers recs? (Disclaimer: I ship anyone and everyone in this fandom.

Yeah...I don't. Ao3 disabling their filtering is the worst thing for that fandom. Because I only want to read certain pairings or Gen, but I have to go through a gazillion pages of Steve/Tony and Coulson/anyone just to get there. >:O

You can still find a story that has the pairing(s) you want, then click on the tag for that, which will list only the stories with that pairing. It's a bit of an assache, but I usually just go into my internet browsing history and find a story that has the pairing that I'm looking for, then click on that. Saves tons of time in wading through stuff I don't want.

ETA: Oh, and that Avengers kinkmeme lj? I ran across a prompt requesting a story about Deadpool wanting to join the Avengers and thinking that he can marry in, he starts wooing anyone/everyone. I don't think it got filled and a little piece of my heart died.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next