Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones

+60
Gallifrey Girl
slmader
Agent Sculder
UmaOprah
shanndee
katesti
Gilraen
whatthedeuce
xyzzy
Regina Filangie
Cutebutpsycho
QueenSix
dionneshea
Carrie Ann
ariadne
salamandersam
jennlynnster
draco vulgaris
Muggsy
RiverThames
jstilwe
sunni94
filwdork
sen3
Me Talk Pretty
Fiammetta
Shalamar
Kookla
BreezyK
naughty zoot
Cynara
punzy
mialoubug
Kiran
emrie
bbridges
Instant Monkeys
Matinee
bookworm
CindyMc
CherryFlame
Jessica
Shadowlass
inversed
Eris Rising
Unlucky Bear
Corvus
TiffanyNichelle
wenchsenior
ulkis
VodouDoll
screamin
queenofdenile
sagitare
biakbiak
ActonBell
Red Wolf
The Dude
punkysdilemma
blixie
64 posters

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones  - Page 4 Empty Re: Game of Thrones

Post  Kiran Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Eh, I think Vikings is not as good as GoT (although I think that is a HIGH barrier), but its faring much better than Camelot. My God that show was bad. I watched every episode.

I love this show and am so glad to have it back.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 pm

Oh god, Camelot was so much of the suck. It took us like, eight months to finish the last two episodes just so we could say we saw the whole thing.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:09 pm

An obsessed colleague just gave me GOT series 1. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be hooked on this.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Dooo eeett! Join us.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Caught up on the season premiere. I'm already loving Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder. He's not quite how I pictured the character but he's still perfect. I also like the Tyrell siblings more and more every time I see them, especially Natalie Dormer as Margaery. I believe her as someone who genuinely cares about the poor people in King's Landing but also knows how the game is played and will milk that caring for all it's worth.

Unfortunately, I officially hate Show Robb now, for calling his mother a traitor and wanting to find a CELL for her in Winterfell. She only released Jaime because the Stark men wanted him dead, and if Jaime is dead, Sansa and Arya are dead, but he doesn't seem to give that the tiniest thought or care about his sisters at all. And maybe, just maybe, Catelyn wouldn't have had to resort to drastic measures to free Jaime if the Northmen weren't getting so unruly about wanting his head, and maybe they wouldn't be so unruly if Robb bothered to LEAD THEM instead of spending a whole season flirting with the hot nurse.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Catelyn's monologue about Jon was flawless, and a beautiful character-deepening addition (that wasn't in the book, iirc). Michelle Fairley is amazing. The crossbow scene with Joffrey and Margaery was great too, especially that final shot.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:26 am

I'm loving Margaery. Girl's got game.
As for Robb - in his position as putative King in The North he can't make decisions on a purely personal basis any more, no matter how much he loves his sisters or his mother. That's a harsh reality of being in a position of power. Letting Jaime, one of the Lannisters most formidable fighters, go puts the Northmen at a disadvantage and the lives of 2 young girls don't outbalance that. Add to that Catelyn countermanding his orders, which no leader can have anyone, especially his mother, do and clearly he has no choice other than to have her punished.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:37 am

As for Robb - in his position as putative King in The North he can't make decisions on a purely personal basis any more

Decisions such as, say, marrying the hot medic for true love while tossing over the girl he promised to marry in a deal he made with the Freys, thus throwing a middle finger into the face of a family with a HUGE army that was taking a huge risk in supporting Robb over Joffrey in the first place?

I mean, it seems to me that releasing ONE fighter, even if he is the second-best fighter in the Seven Kingdoms, is not nearly as dangerous as pissing off an entire powerful House.

I could handle it if we looked like he felt even remotely sad about locking his mom away - "Sorry, Mum, I have to do this to set an example" - or if he acknowledged that he made a decision just as stupid, if not more stupid, than hers, but he's got this petulance about him that makes me want to smack him. He's the oldest of the Stark kids and the brattiest of the lot.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:53 am

Sansa's brunch with the Queen of Thorns was one of my favorite scenes in the books and this did it justice.

I am liking TV Margery way more than book Margery. As with her "let's cut the shit" scene with Renly last year, her populist turn with the orphans and immediately using the information gleaned from Sansa to channel Joffrey's sadism (a first!) shows her as Olenna's spirit heir.

I can understand Cersie from a feminist perspective. I get she wants to be free and constantly runs up against the men in her family.

Jaime remains the foremost insult comic in Westeros.

Was there only ONE Tyrion scene in the show?!

If Arya's storyline was the weakest part of the show, it had to be a great episode.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Jaime and Brienne's Excellent Adventure is everything I hoped it would be and more. OMG. I love those two together. I hope they get the main plot of an episode soon.

I have issues with this show in terms of adaptation of the books, but I have to hand it to the showrunners for making me care so much - or at all, really - about Theon Greyjoy. Alfie Allen is doing a great job with his character.

Catelyn's speech about Jon Snow broke my heart, and Michelle Fairley played it so well. (But, uh, Cat, if you're going to feel guilty about your role in the bad things that happened to your family, I think trusting Littlefinger and kidnapping Tyrion was a bigger mistake. Just sayin'.)

Excellent introduction for Jojen and Meera Reed. So happy to see them after missing them for a whole year.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Man, I LOVE Margaery. Joffrey is no match for her and I think even he might know it. I wish there had been more Arya, but the Jamie & Brienne Show made up for it. I agree about the development of Theon, I never cared that much about him in the books (until A Dance with Dragons), but I have found him much more interesting in the show.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Robb works for me because I completely by him as someone who underneath it all is a teenage boy. So I agree with naughty zoot he is acting as King of the North, but hes still a hormonal teenage boy. While I'm not a huge Talisa fan (although I don't hate her either, I loved Oona Chaplin in The Hour but as of now she hasn't made a huge impression on me here), what sold that for me was last season when she said "I don't want you to get married." And he responded "I don't WANT to get married." It was so very kid who didn't ask for it trying his best.

I think hes fucking up, and is being cold to his mother and its annoying, but I also think its interesting from a storytelling perspective. I don't know, Robb Stark to me as a character (not a plot device) never made a huge impression on me in the books. I mean I liked him, but he never got a POV. I think the show has done a good job of making him complex and interesting, but I understand why others don't feel the same way, because he is acting kinda douchey.

Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Well, and this isn't Robb the character's fault, but I also dislike the way the writers seem to have prioritized his story over Catelyn's in the past year. In the book we get Robb from Catelyn's point of view, and in the show it feels reversed. Robb wasn't a character whose POV in the books I ever felt the need to see - he was a sweet kid but not that interesting, and so far, IMO, the show hasn't justified giving him this much attention. "I have to marry for politics rather than love, wah, I don't want to" is like the Westerosi equivalent of a #firstworldproblem, especially when you're a dude.

But, the last episode at least had Lord Karstark point out that marrying Talisa was a really fucking stupid idea, so I feel a little better about his storyline. (Though, what happened to the Greatjon Umber? WHERE IS GREY WIND?)
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah I don't care if it's "believable" that he's acting like a teenager, he's acting like a stupid petulant douche, and I really really never thought book Robb was a stupid petulant douche. Guided by honor and prone to foolishness like his father, yes, but to Robb's credit he WAS a teenager.

I can't even be rational about how much of Arya and Gendry was cut for all that crap. There had better be a lot of them in this weeks episode.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Like, I said I understand why you don't feel the same way, I was just expressing my opinion, to me its believable, that doesn't mean its pleasant to watch and I understand why other are annoyed though I don't necessarily feel the same way.

Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Something queenofdenile has brought up is a really interesting problem that the showrunners have to deal with... the POV thing. I hadn't noticed it as much with Robb and Catelyn, although now that you mention it, it is very clear to me (maybe I don't mind because I think he's superhot) But I have really missed Davos and seeing Stannis through his eyes. It is difficult for me to understand why anyone would be on Stannis's side in the show, whereas Davos's musings and clear devotion to him strengthen that for me in the books.

SERIOUS SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW:
Spoiler:

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Yep. Which is another reason I don't mind
Spoiler:

I will say, while I agree Cat has been shortchanged (though I really did enjoy her last episode), I do think as a whole, this show has improved a lot of female characters or added to them. I always loved Margarey but I really like how blatantly savvy they are making her. And I think Shae, Ygritte and Cersei are far more interesting and less one dimensional then they were in the books.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Agreed. I'm in the process of reading the books now (most of the way through book 3) and I definitely think the show women are, on the whole, more dynamic and sympathetic. I can't get over how annoying I find Shae in the books (although maybe that's the audiobook narrator's way of voicing her) but I love her on the show. She seems much older and wiser and kinder. And Ygritte is awesome. Again, not sure if it was the narrator who made me dislike her more in the book. I wish Rose Leslie could be on every show I like!

Anyway, not sure where I was going with that, but I don't mind Cat being more sidelined. Frankly she is not my favorite narrative voice in the books - I know she's in a shitty position but she's such a downer!

Spoilers ahoy (I don't want to post in the true spoiler thread because I'm still two books behind, but BEWARE. I know things!)
Spoiler:

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Emrie I hated how the narrator did women. Every woman in Westeros sounded like Bea Arthur trying an Irish brogue. I wish they would have had a female narrator for all the female characters POVs.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Regarding Robb and SPOILERS, I feel that

Spoiler:

As for Shae, my prediction is that
Spoiler:
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm speaking as someone who hasn't read the books, but the moment that really turned me off Lady Catelyn, like forever, was when she let Jamie Lannister go behind everyone's backs. Although I get her reasoning in retrospect, it just came across as so goddamned infuriating at the time (moreso than anything Robb is doing - including marrying Talisa) that I don't care that basically everyone is treating her like, "You are so.fucking.stupid and I hate you." Because that's how I feel and I would be doing the opposite of everything she said and did too, just to spite her. It was the equivalent of when Jack smashed Jacob's compass in rage mere seconds after discovering it in LOST.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:39 am

This is why I think the show did a disservice to both Catelyn and Robb, by having her free Jaime and him marry Hot Nurse BEFORE they found out about Bran and Rickon instead of after.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

queenofdenile wrote:This is why I think the show did a disservice to both Catelyn and Robb, by having her free Jaime and him marry Hot Nurse BEFORE they found out about Bran and Rickon instead of after.

Agree! Makes Robb much more of an impulsive dummy. I like how his marrying error comes due to his following his father's strict honor-code after making an emotional mistake.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm loving Margaery. Girl's got game.

Amen. How creepy was it when Joffrey was looking at her all "... where have you BEEN all my life?" when she was saying how cool it would be to kill something? Yikes.

Kudos for casting Dame Diana Rigg as the Queen of Thorns. I always thought that she and Natalie Dormer had a strong resemblance to each other.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:15 am

So the was Shiny McShine that gave Jaime the manicure.

Not that I didn't expect it to happen, but narratively things picked up. I was wondering the whole ep, which story arc would the next shoe drop.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next