Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies at Home

+68
Poubelle
Grainne Mhaol
big chicken
TiffanyNichelle
Melk
Kookla
mayram
Eris Rising
themis
truecrystal
dionneshea
Gillian
MaddyCat
spidey_88
emrie
Swarley
bbridges
Sheli
Binky
sagitare
shamoogity
The Dude
Morning Angel
The Glen
mrinsouciance
Putli Bai
xyzzy
vwlphb
gannetguts
biakbiak
Matinee
killershrew
Wildog27
Algae
Jude
nikita
Cutebutpsycho
Miss Moneypenny
naughty zoot
Kiran
laddical
punzy
ulkis
Unlucky Bear
Esseilte
RiverThames
Agent Sculder
katesti
Instant Monkeys
Bad Username
mokey75
Cynara
Coneycat
Carrie Ann
Gallifrey Girl
blixie
PrincessCleo
whatthedeuce
QueenSix
Snarryfan
bookworm
salamandersam
Red Wolf
PineappleGirl
Raksha
puddingcup
inversed
eventide82
72 posters

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Movies at Home - Page 13 Empty Re: Movies at Home

Post  blixie Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:16 am

Ha, at first I thought you were talking about OLLA, and I'm like but, there is no gore.

In YN, it's nothing earthshaking
Spoiler:
It is pretty gory, it's more of a horror comedy than anything, it's a little creepy because of the masks but it's mostly about how awesome of a Final Girl the movie is built around.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:21 pm

I also just watched Only Lovers Left Alive It was fantastic, very subtle. It captured melancholy without ever being dreary while also being funny. The interlude with Mia Wasichowski was wonderful because instead of being "drama" it was "fucking in-laws." Also, the chess scene.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:50 pm

The Dallas Buyers Club which was all right. The best part is the first quarter or so where you're introduced to the Woodruff character. McConaughey is simply brilliant here. The scene where he's debating taking his own life is raw. I just got goosebumps watching it, it was that powerful. I found the character very compelling initially as he struggles with having a disease thought to be only one that gay people developed, and faces the backlash from his friends and community. Jared Leto was no less amazing as Rayon - a terrific character, and he played her so effortlessly. It was a wonderful performance to watch. Both of them deserved all the awards they got, that's for sure.

But after that, once the story moves into his work of bringing drugs back to the States for sale, the Woodruff character and McConaughey's performance become far more workmanlike and straightforward. He makes contacts for drugs, he goes to get the drugs, he gets threatened by the authorities for having the drugs. Rinse-lather-repeat. I found it just became repetitive and boring, to be honest. And once Rayon was no longer part of the story I really lost interest. I wish there had been more of her, to be honest.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

sagitare wrote:The Dallas Buyers Club which was all right.
all right, all right.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:44 pm

The Dude wrote:
sagitare wrote:The Dallas Buyers Club which was all right.
all right, all right.
Can't believe I missed that one - damn!
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:55 pm

Oh lord. Divergent. Totally Meh. I thought Ashley Judd was the best part and Kate Winslet was phoning it in. Not that the books were that awesome in the first place.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:38 pm

MaddyCat wrote:Oh lord. Divergent. Totally Meh. I thought Ashley Judd was the best part and Kate Winslet was phoning it in. Not that the books were that awesome in the first place.
Totally agree on all points. I'm glad I took it out from the library rather than paying to see it because I thought it was just silly. The part where the Dauntless gang first come flying out of the train, jumping around and punching the air (basically) made me literally laugh out loud. Since I didn't really like the book, I pretty much expected not to be blown away by the movie. I just didn't expect it to be so unintentionally funny.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:49 pm

I really liked the first Divergent novel, but Shailene Woodley's face illogically irritates the crap outta me so I can't watch the movie or The Fault In Our Stars.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:35 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I really liked the first Divergent novel, but Shailene Woodley's face illogically irritates the crap outta me so I can't watch the movie or The Fault In Our Stars.

I totally get that. I find her to be completely without charisma or presence and she just looks... empty, is the best term I can come up with. Which isn't quite right, because that tends to imply I think she's stupid, which isn't quite it. There's just no "there" there with her, I think.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:24 pm

I thought she was great in The Spectacular Now, and I love her short haircut, but I'm only gonna ever watch Divergent for Miles Teller.

Last week I watched the Spanish horror comedy flick Witching and Bitching it is completely and totally BONKERS, like Evil Dead. I loved it and I know that there is an argument that like Evil Dead it's not just a little bit misogynist, but I saw it as celebration of unruly powerful women and I loved that two of the witches were transgender.
Spoiler:

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:54 am

I still haven't forgiven Shailene Woodley for The Secret Life of the American Teenager, so I haven't seen any of those movies. It might be unfair and I might be missing out on some good movies but I will take that risk!

For the past two months, I've been wanting to rewatch Crazy, Stupid, Love for no particular reason. I got sick of checking all my streaming sites and finally just bought it. It was $5 at Target plus 5% off plus 15% off with the Cartwheel app. Totally worth it.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:49 am

Sheli wrote:I still haven't forgiven Shailene Woodley for The Secret Life of the American Teenager, so I haven't seen any of those movies.

I would have to say you're entirely justified for feeling that way. That was a truly horrible show.

For the past two months, I've been wanting to rewatch Crazy, Stupid, Love for no particular reason.  I got sick of checking all my streaming sites and finally just bought it.  It was $5 at Target plus 5% off plus 15% off with the Cartwheel app.  Totally worth it.
I LOVE that movie! I bought it for myself for Christmas and while I didn't get a great deal on it the way you did, I haven't regretted a single penny I spent on it.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:17 am

I watched The Fault in Our Stars yesterday. I thought it was ok, not great but I can't quite figure out why. However, thinking it was only "ok" did not stop me from ugly crying for the last half hour of the movie, basically starting with the bench in Amsterdam. I felt dehydrated by the end of it.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:04 pm

mokey75 wrote:I watched The Fault in Our Stars yesterday. I thought it was ok, not great but I can't quite figure out why. However, thinking it was only "ok" did not stop me from ugly crying for the last half hour of the movie, basically starting with the bench in Amsterdam. I felt dehydrated by the end of it.

Is this out on Redbox or OnDemand somewhere? I meant to catch it in the theater and never got to it.

I thought she was great in The Spectacular Now, and I love her short haircut, but I'm only gonna ever watch Divergent for Miles Teller.

I really liked her in The Descendants. Reading the stupid shit that she says IRL soured me on her quite a bit, but I still think she's a decent actress.

I only saw Divergent because my work took us there on a field trip, so I probably enjoyed it more than I would have otherwise because I was sitting in a movie theater with a work-purchased ticket/snack/drink at 3 pm on a Wednesday instead of sitting at my desk.

Also, the guy who played Four was unbelievably hot and that helped too.

I agree that the first scene with Dauntless was laughably stupid.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:32 am

I love the Muppets, so of course I enjoyed Muppets Most Wanted, even if it wasn't as good as the last one. I love spotting all the celebrity cameos. But seriously,
Spoiler:

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:11 pm

you know, I had no desire to see that film, but now I do, just for
Spoiler:

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:31 pm

I actually enjoyed Muppets Most Wanted more than The Muppets. The Muppets was lovely and sentimental and a great re-introduction to what they were about for fans and non-fans alike. But Muppets Most Wanted was sarcastic and silly and tongue-in-cheek and self-aware and everything that is fantastic and unique about the Muppets that always elevated it to the next level of entertainment for children and parents.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:37 pm

mayram wrote:
Is this out on Redbox or OnDemand somewhere? I meant to catch it in the theater and never got to it.

...maybe? My husband is an internet savant, and he tracked it down for me. I was VERY GLAD I did not go see it in a theater based on how hard I cried, though.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:59 pm

For the past two months, I've been wanting to rewatch Crazy, Stupid, Love for no particular reason. I got sick of checking all my streaming sites and finally just bought it. It was $5 at Target plus 5% off plus 15% off with the Cartwheel app. Totally worth it.
I love 90% of that movie (except the final speech) but I would buy a copy just to watch the following three things over and over and over:
Spoiler:

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:23 pm

Yes. Plus Josh Groban. I'm not into his music, but I love him every time he appears as an actor.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Upon the recommendation of an overwhelming number of friends, I decided to check out Austenland last night. What a delight! If, like me, you haven't heard of it, it's about a woman in her 30s (Keri Russell) who's obsessed with all things Austen and, after breaking up with her boyfriend, decides to visit an English estate where visitors can live the Regency life. It's full of Austen tropes, both books and movies, and it has a fantastic cast with Russell, Bret Mackenzie, Jennifer Coolidge, JJ Feild, James Callis, and Jane Seymour. It was just so much fun. I think I'm going to watch it again today.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:27 am

dionneshea, it's such a cute movie, isn't it? I saw it at the movies with my mum and sister and we all thought it was gorgeous.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:10 am

I rewatched To Kill A Mockingbird for a class last night. I cry a lot during that movie, for good reason, but the worst of it always comes with, "Miss Jean Louise, stand up - your father's passing."
Also, I've not watched this movie enough because I'd totally forgotten that the Mrs. Dubose plot is cut, as is the fire at Maudie's and Atticus's sister coming to visit, but I could have sworn they were included. I even could picture the actors in those scenes. I guess that's what a really good book can do to your brain when you read it too many* times.

*no such thing!
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:04 am

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was on TV the other day, it was super cute. Loved Sam Sparks and that she became hotter with the glasses and ponytail.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:38 pm

I watched The Fall this weekend (the Tarsem Singh movie, not the BBC series). I really liked it, and I cried like a goddamn baby at the end.

The little girl was terrific, especially for not speaking much English (and being so very young), and Lee Pace was equally as terrific playing off her.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next