Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Horror Story

+21
mokey75
shanndee
Fraoch
Lily Rose
RubberMan
TiffanyNichelle
xyzzy
Case
lisa
Jessica
Corvus
mialoubug
dday515
skittlebox
killershrew
truecrystal
Instant Monkeys
Luciano
swsa
blixie
Salieri
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

American Horror Story Empty American Horror Story

Post  Salieri Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:30 am

Is anyone else watching this? Because in one sense it's completely awful, and in other sense it's total crack. It's Nip/Tuck at its most insane and turned up to eleven, and I've become completely addicted. There's so much about it that shouldn't work, and yet the pacing and overall weirdness has managed to grab me. If it slows down the least bit it will completely fall apart, but at the moment it's a fun ride. I have no idea how long Ryan Murphy can sustain it - probably not too long, given his history - so the whole thing will probably implode soon. At the moment, however, it's strangely watchable.

It doesn't hurt that Jessica Lange has the most insanely mesmerizing character on the show, and that she's apparently thrown herself into this insanity whole-heartedly. Between her character and the maid (Moira?), it's really nice to see two older actresses who have such meaty, interesting parts. Maybe I've become an old fart, but I've lost interest in shows that focus heavily on teens. Even on this show the Violet stuff just makes me yawn. It's nice to see mature actresses being used to such great effect.

The parents at the heart of the show are a blank slate, with too much crying and yelling from Dylan McDermott. Their reactions to the weirdness that surrounds them is the least interesting part of the show for me.
Salieri
Salieri

Back to top Go down

American Horror Story Empty Re: American Horror Story

Post  blixie Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:37 pm

I have no idea how long Ryan Murphy can sustain it -

Hee, I think it's cractastically delicious, but I'm not sure he's sustaining it even now, but as I said in the previous thread I love that RM has finally constructed a premise and setting that frees him utterly from narrative cohesion and the shackles of plot.

Ghosts, murderers, and gimps, oh my!

It doesn't hurt that Jessica Lange has the most insanely mesmerizing character on the show, and that she's apparently thrown herself into this insanity whole-heartedly.

Oh yeah, she's amazing this is the woman who played Frances Farmer all the way to the hilt and beyond, she somehow manages to be campy/over the top and YET still a *real* person deep down inside.

SO, she had four children, at first she says all with Down's, but then she admits she had one beautiful boy, but she lost him too. I'm thinking he's the Gimp? And is Constance still trying to kill off Violet?

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:16 pm

I LOVE this show. I don't have a clue what's going on, but it's atmospheric and beautifully shot, and so, so unsettling.

Agree with you guys that Jessica Lange and Frances Conroy are the stand outs. And it's not just that they both do a great job, it's that their roles are genuinely the most interesting.

I want to know what that nurse saw on the ultrasound.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:35 pm

It's interesting to me how much the critics seem to dislike this show, which is not to say I take issue with their calling it a hot mess (although I think even that misses the point it's supposed to be a hot mess), only that the critique I'm hearing most is one aspect of the show I kinda of love, which is that The Harmons are horrible. They are stupid, and annoying, and awful people. But, HELLO, have you watched a Ryan Murphy show before? All he knows how to do is stupid, annoying, awful people, but then he likes to torture them and mock them, and that can be A LOT of fun.

At least for a while, and as long as he remembers not to try for anything else BUT that. It amazes me the same guy who does stuff like this directed Eat Pray Love. The schizoid is strong with that one.

So for me this is like what if someone scripted The Big Brother house. I do think it would be fun if every season focused on a new set of terrible people owning the house, getting killed off, and joining the pantheon of fucked up ghosts at the party.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:51 pm

blixie wrote:SO, she had four children, at first she says all with Down's, but then she admits she had one beautiful boy, but she lost him too. I'm thinking he's the Gimp? And is Constance still trying to kill off Violet?

I'm thinking her husband is the gimp - the ghosts seem to be stuck as they were when they died, so having Rapist Husband turn into Rapist Gimp would make sense. Maybe Tate is her son?

God, I love this show - so much fun!

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  Salieri Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Yeah, the critics really seem to hate this, and it's just too insane for me to hate. I'm never bored when I'm watching it, which I can't say about a lot of shows. It's total brain candy, and I don't even care too much about plot stuff that would normally drive me nuts because the ride is so much fun.

(One thing about which I do agree with some critics is the way Ryan Murphy tends to write these shrieky, clingy, insane women, and it kind of bothers me. Also, the reasoning behind keeping them in the house is pretty stupid, and that's the one thing I apparently can't get past. "We can't afford to sell it, and my business is here!" Okay, then have Vivien and Violet move into a non-creepy apartment. Except that Violet has apparently decided that she will run away if forced to move and...that's the end of it, I guess?)

I wonder if seeing Tate in the gimp outfit is meant to be a sign or just a massive red herring. I'm assuming he's Constance's son.

I loved seeing the skeletons fucking on the lawn. Awesome.

I can't wait to see what the ultrasound and fainting was all about. Two heads? Bat wings? Horns? Sign of the devil? A fetus that can drop your blood sugar when you look at it? What does it have to do with Dr. Abortionist and his creepy experiments in the basement?
Salieri
Salieri

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:43 pm

So I haven't seen a single minute of this show, but it certainly SOUNDS awesome. Reading the thread alone is entertaining!
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Being able to watch Dylan McDermott shed angsty man-tears every week is enough to keep me watching. Cracks me up every time. And I especially love that ghost Mrs. Dr. Creepy Abortionist was all "Oh hell no! No more of this bullshit! BE A MAN AND PROTECT YOUR FAMILY!"

Jessica Lange is amazing and I am fascinated by her story, especially now that it's been confirmed Tate is her son. I'm assuming he was the pretty but messed up in other ways one. I'm actually pretty fascinated with all the ghost stories, though watching the Harmons' overwrought melodrama is pretty great too.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:53 am

Mr. Shrew hates horror stuff, so I had to wait until he went out of town and then I watched the first 5 episodes back to back this weekend. What a crazy show! I can't wait to see what happens next. I hope Jessica Lange wins some kind of big award for her performance, because she is BRINGING IT.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  skittlebox Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:45 pm

This is my new favourite show at the moment. I'm loving it SO. MUCH. I also really enjoyed Nip/Tuck until the bitter, bitter end which is why I gave this show a chance as I had heard it was another fucked-up Ryan Murphy show. At least this time I have prior warning that the show will eventually go down the gurgler like what happened with Nip/Tuck...

I've never been heavily into shipping with fandom, but I really like Violate and I felt so bad for Tate this last episode when he didn't understand why Violet has changed towards him because he doesn't know he's .. dead? Or just why he's dead? He has to at least know he's a ghost though, right?!

I also really loved ZQ's appearances, especially the few shots that made his character appear very Sylaresque, heh.

skittlebox

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:27 am

I really get the feeling that Tate doesn't realize he's dead. When those kids he killed confronted him, he really did seem confused to me. The actor is so, so good. Honestly, with the exception of Dylan McDermott and at times Violet, this entire cast is ridiculously talented.

I felt SO old when I realized I'm Tate's real age and that 1994 is now an appropriate wayback flashback time period.

These last few episodes I've really felt like the show is settling into a nice groove. I love the flashbacks to the origins of the house and how we're slowly getting clues about the "rules" in this universe. Constance trying to drag Addie over to the lawn as she was dying was just so creepy and heartbreaking.

I have no real hope that it can keep up this pace for more than 20 episodes, but for the moment I'm enjoying it in a way I haven't liked a show since Twin Peaks.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Everyone still watching? Its so crack-tastic. I even think Dylan McDermot is ok in it (he's surrounded by more talented folks, but he's not BAD).

I have no idea how this show will continue past its first season - but to date, its been one heck of a ride!

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  skittlebox Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:41 am

I feel so bad for Violet.

Tate could have at least buried her, or put her in a more dignified position or something.

skittlebox

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:50 pm

dday515 wrote:Everyone still watching?

There are, like, 24 ghosts running around. It's awesome.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:20 am

????????????? WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?????
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:47 am

BEETLEJUICE!

BEETLEJUICE!

BEETLEJUICE!
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:25 am

I am concerned this is a set-up for the Traditional Ryan Murphy Season Two Clusterfuck. I think killing off EVERYONE might have written them into a corner a little bit -- for a while there, I thought maybe they'd make it so that every episode a new family moved in, and it turned into almost...a procedural?
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:40 am

Yeah this was typical Ryan Murphy where at the end of it I was left wondering what was the point of it all because the ending didn't match up with the story I thought was being told all season. You would think I would have learned my lesson after all those years of Nip/Tuck where I kept thinking I was watching these complex, emotional character developments unfold through these "shocking" story lines that would ultimately pay off with change or growth or some big cathartic revelation...and after 6 seasons the moral of the story was All These People Are Assholes and Christian Is Beautiful The End.

Hayden? Moira? Nora? Black Dahlia? Burning Man? Constance's 4th Child? Interesting but ultimately pointless to the story based on the ending because OMG the flashback at the beginning of this episode called it: The House Did Save the Harmon Family Oh But They Had to Die For It to Happen (IRONY!! Get it? GET IT?!?)The End.

Ryan Murphy: Consistently missing the point of his own shows.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:20 pm

I love how they stopped being assholes the minute they died. I love that I have to ask this question but was still born baby actually still born and just a Murder House ghost baby (and thus will stay a baby forever) or was the second twin actually a real live baby and will be raised by it's now not asshole ghost parents?

What's weird is how everything I thought would happen happened, like this was the least over the top outrageous episode of the season, though the Beetlejuice haunting was pretty fun. Just what will S2 look like if the Harmon's chase off the chum? OTHO if they really have JL locked down refocusing on her batshit crazy raising of the Antichrist could be fun, but how do you keep Murder House in play then? Or are they really going to ditch it and they whole crowded cast of ghosts? I did like the Ayran little tyke they found to play baby Antichrist.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:35 pm

The second twin took one breath and then passed away, so he's a Ghost Baby.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Ryan Murphy says this is the end of Murder House and "Every season of the show will be a different haunting. What you saw in the finale was the end of the Harmon house and the second season of the show will be a brand new home. Or building to haunt....Some of [the actors] will be coming back. We're in negotiations with several of them, but they will be playing completely different characters, creatures, monsters and etcetera."

To quote Tim Gunn, I have CONCERNS.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Oh no. No, no, no. I need my Constance fix.

I'll give RM some credit though, because I was seeing a growing, SURGING wave of Tate fangirlishness online, and he held strong. Even making the little psychopath own up to all his wacky rape and murder hijinks. I was prepared for him to get some kind of "the house made me psychotic" pass, but RM didn't give him an out.

I have zero faith in his ability to pull out a S2 though. The random mix of characters and really strong actors made this season. The plots were nonsensical and the continuity was hilarious. It was only that the characters were genuinely interesting/crazy/empathetic and played by strong actors that kept it afloat. I can see why he's not ready to let them go. I mean what showrunner would want to dump Jessica Lange, Frances Conroy, or Connie Britton? But I really don't see how making them new characters is going to work out.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:48 pm

On the one hand, I'm glad he's planning to wipe the slate clean and introduce new characters because I really don't think he'd be able to sustain all of them past this season. And I'd think it be interesting to see what *these* actors could do with new characters. I agree with swsa--the actors MADE this show. Jessica Lange was amazing, and I fell a little bit in love with Evan Peters myself. I'm actually kind of hopeful that most of them will be back in some capacity since the show did manage to get some critical acclaim and award recognition, though I'm wondering what if any kind of backlash the finale will generate.

On the other hand, WHY BOTHER?

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:36 pm

So quick question #1: The toddler antichrist killed his grandma, right? That's why we got that shot of Constance's jacked-up vertebrae and the comment about how Constance hasn't gotten out much lately, isn't it?

Quick question #2: Are we to infer that Nora passed on out of ghosthood once she got what she thought she wanted and became resolved to who she is/was? Her saying she needed a rest and admitting she didn't have what it took to be a mother seemed like her resolving her inner turmoil and making some measure of peace.

Also, let me point out that the idea of taking care of a newborn for eternity is nightmare fuel.

lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:24 am

I'm curious if season 2 is going to be set in the same world - or if new season, new horrors behave differently? Maybe ghosts in S2 can't take physical form? Something different. Otherwise, I just see following the same old formula. Does horror have to include ghosts? Could it be more of a "real world" horror story?

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next