Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

+99
jstilwe
rivki8699
LadyGayle
ActonBell
Agent Sculder
Gillian
Paris, Texas
gannetguts
Binky
wenchsenior
Gilraen
puddingcup
Morning Angel
slmader
Snarryfan
naughty zoot
Genevieve
ulkis
Melk
Raksha
draco vulgaris
punkysdilemma
mandalaya
Never Enough
dionneshea
Jude
Skyblade
bosoxgirl
Red Wolf
easybreezy
PrincessCleo
mayram
Rhilin
Gallifrey Girl
maxell131313
Kookla
Swarley
oxymoron
Tabby
mrinsouciance
punzy
Corvus
UmaOprah
Coneycat
big chicken
eco
sobe
sunni94
truecrystal
Heather
Putli Bai
VodouDoll
Decca
TiffanyNichelle
Algae
Esseilte
Lis
laddical
mialoubug
bbridges
Eris Rising
Cutebutpsycho
eventide82
Poubelle
Unlucky Bear
Kiran
Cynara
Instant Monkeys
blixie
swsa
Pop'n'Fresh
Miss Moneypenny
Evil Lincoln
mokey75
Matinee
QueenSix
katha
Jasmine
Crowbridge
dinahmoe
Carrie Ann
jcpdiesel21
sagitare
curryalley
biakbiak
caltrask55
Pumpkin Cake
katesti
paablish
Ceci
The Glen
blooey
whatthedeuce
Grainne Mhaol
Sheli
The Dude
tothemax
19uses
queenofdenile
103 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold - Page 14 Empty Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  Jude Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Morning Angel wrote:Pitch Perfect was fine, but the trend of people having to vomit or have diarrhea in movies needs to stop.  I love comedies and I'm generally willing to laugh at silly stuff, but I always find it gross, unfunny, and just appealing to the lowest common denominator.  Although, given the amount of laughter it got both here and in Bridesmaids, I'm probably alone in that.
I actually hate that too, which is probably one of the reasons why I wasn't all that crazy about Pitch Perfect. But for some reason, and I don't even know why, the Bridesmaids scene didn't bother me at all. That one was definitely the exception, though, because generally speaking, if I know that a movie has bodily function jokes/scenes, I avoid it like the plague.

I think a lot of this kind of thing has to do with the general Let's-Appeal-to-Teenage-Boys-and-Adolescents mentality of Hollywood these days. So, so tired of explosions and bodily functions, separately or together.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold - Page 14 Empty Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  mokey75 Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Jude wrote:
I actually hate that too, which is probably one of the reasons why I wasn't all that crazy about Pitch Perfect. But for some reason, and I don't even know why, the Bridesmaids scene didn't bother me at all. That one was definitely the exception, though, because generally speaking, if I know that a movie has bodily function jokes/scenes, I avoid it like the plague.

I think a lot of this kind of thing has to do with the general Let's-Appeal-to-Teenage-Boys-and-Adolescents mentality of Hollywood these days. So, so tired of explosions and bodily functions, separately or together.

I thought the Bridesmaids bathroom scene was definitely one of those moments, like they were trying to prove that women find poop funny, too! Or "we're just like dudes!" Or something, I dunno. I actually hated that scene much less than the scene on the plane, which just went on and on and oooooonnnnnn. Oh, and the speech-off. Ugh. Honestly, the funniest parts of that movie (to me) were the opening scenes with Kristin Wiig and Maya Rudolph playing off each other. I remember thinking, "oh wow. They're actually going to show a fun female friendship, yay!" And then the speech-off happened, and Maya Rudolph was basically background noise, and I was over it. Though Chris O'Dowd was very adorable, and, I confess, I will totally put it on in the background when I'm doing other things (though I always change the channel during the speeches and the airplane scenes).
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:44 pm

I hated those scenes also. I'm sorry, but if your best friend who is afraid of flying is stuck back in coach, for YOUR bachelorette party, you offer her seatmate your fancy seat and you SIT WITH HER.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Wow, great point. I think that was a failing of Bridesmaids - they sort of wanted you to sympathize with Kristen Wiig's character, while at the same time making her reactions seem crazy over the top, but I was on her side the whole time and found Maya Rudolph's character unworthy of her. I mean, anyone who would be friends with Rose Byrne's character...
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:27 pm

I liked those scenes actually, but thats a point that I picked up too. While eventually they had me sympathize with Rose Byrne (she just wanted to be liked so badly and tried SO hard), they never really had me sympathize with Maya Rudolph. Like, yes, Kristen Wiig had a breakdown and acted like an ass at her shower, but up until that point her life was SPIRALING, and Rudolph didn't seem to notice. Also dude, your maid of honor is broke, her business went under and she has two horrible roommates. PICK THE DRESS THAT WON'T MAKE HER BANKRUPT.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:03 pm

I know! "Everyone was like "OMG this movie is hilarious!" and as I watched it, I was like "Uh, well, um, does no one see that Kristen Wiig is undergoing one crushing financial and emotional blow after another? Is that going to be add...no? Best friend going to symp...oh, um, let's just watch some food poisoning. Sure." As someone who's been that poor and at the end of her rope, it is, no joke, the least funny thing on earth, and if IRL I had a now-wealthy lifetime best friend who hadn't taken the time to even try and understand what I was going through on those levels? I probably would have done as badly or worse at the wedding shower.

I did think (and to be fair I think the movie intended for us to think) that Melissa McCarthy's "I'M YOUR SHITTY LIFE, ANNIE!" slapping speech was actually the best indication of true friendship in the movie.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:09 pm

I did love that movie and thats why, I thought it was very grounded in reality in the sense that even when Kristin Wiig was an asshole and I didn't agree with her I understood WHY. In her eyes the one thing she still had going for her was her best friend, and she saw her getting replaced and left behind and freaked out. I also thought the movie did a good job of showing everyone's motivations really. EXCEPT Maya Rudolph's. Like it was hard for me to care that she felt overwhelmed by her wedding when we never really saw her seem at all taken aback by it before. Like I said before I found Rose Byrne more sympathetic then her because I could also understand how she was just SO excited to have a friend and wanted to be the best friend ever and went overboard. So I was just like, God, why are these two even fighting to be your best friend? Which is too bad because I love Maya Rudolph, and thought she was great, I just thought that was the one character that wasn't very well written.

I was grossed out by the food poisoning scene but I thought it was hilariously well acted. But I actually thought that movie was at its strongest when it did things like that passive aggressive toast. Or the bitter way Kristen Wiig has to admit that the pink lemonade is in fact really fresh.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Can we agree that Chris O'Dowd was adorable though? (And when Jon Hamm's character met him, his passing comment, "That guy talks funny." Cracked me up. Jon Hamm - I love to hate your characters.)

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:11 pm

puddingcup wrote:Can we agree that Chris O'Dowd was adorable though? (And when Jon Hamm's character met him, his passing comment, "That guy talks funny." Cracked me up. Jon Hamm - I love to hate your characters.)

Chris O'Dowd is as lovable as a box of puppies. I just like him so much. He was very funny (in a different way) in "The I.T. Crowd", and he's really good in "Family Tree". Still haven't seen "The Sapphires", but looking forward to it.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:33 pm

He's fab. So was Jon Hamm. "You are no longer my number three!" Oh my god so perfectly awful.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Kiran wrote:I did love that movie and thats why, I thought it was very grounded in reality in the sense that even when Kristin Wiig was an asshole and I didn't agree with her I understood WHY. In her eyes the one thing she still had going for her was her best friend, and she saw her getting replaced and left behind and freaked out.

This is what I liked about the movie too. It felt like it was showing an externalized version of all the fear and anger we internalize at those times when things are going horribly for us and it feels like everything is falling into place for our best friends. I've never gone on a rampage and smashed a giant cookie at a bridal shower, but in my head I kind of have a little.

I agree about Maya Rudolph's character; I would have like to have seen more there.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 pm

For someone who was supposed to be her best friend and the person Kristen Wiig and Rose Byrne was fighting over, she kind of disappeared in the movie. She didn't seem to really matter. You only really saw the friendship between the two characters at the beginning of the movie and then at end. I would have liked a little more of Maya's character. At least some POV from her.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:27 am

Morning Angel wrote:
puddingcup wrote:Can we agree that Chris O'Dowd was adorable though? (And when Jon Hamm's character met him, his passing comment, "That guy talks funny." Cracked me up. Jon Hamm - I love to hate your characters.)

Chris O'Dowd is as lovable as a box of puppies.  I just like him so much.  He was very funny (in a different way) in "The I.T. Crowd", and he's really good in "Family Tree".  Still haven't seen "The Sapphires", but looking forward to it.
He's very good in a pathetic way in "Pirate Radio", too.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:07 am

YAS I love O'Dowd in Pirate Radio (and in everything else except that weird goth Crimson White Petal thing), that movie is so fun and awesome, and introduced me to the song "Elenore" which somehow I had never heard before.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:15 am

I forgot "The Crimson Petal and the White"! He's so pathetic in that and is skeevy; it's quite a different character from other things he's played. He and Romola Garai were quite good together (bonus, Gillian Anderson as a crazy madam.)

I saw "Pirate Radio" a long time ago so I don't remember him being in it (I might not have known who he was when I saw it.)
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:02 am

I am currently watching Moone Boy and hes fabulous on that. I also really like Family Tree. And the Sapphires was adorable. I really like him. Hes like the definition of the guy you meet at the bar and your like eh, but then you keep talking to him and you are like "Ugh, I love you, marry me?" Hes not bad looking but his personality makes him hot. That was what Bridesmaids did to me. Made me go from "Hey, Annie, hes kinda cute." to "OMG WHY DON'T YOU MARRY ME HES PERFECT COME ON NOW."
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Morning Angel wrote:I forgot "The Crimson Petal and the White"!  He's so pathetic in that and is skeevy; it's quite a different character from other things he's played.  He and Romola Garai were quite good together (bonus, Gillian Anderson as a crazy madam.)

I saw "Pirate Radio" a long time ago so I don't remember him being in it (I might not have known who he was when I saw it.)
He was the pathetic bridegroom of January Jones, who then openly admitted to him afterwards that she only married him so she could shack up with Rhys Ifans' character. I think that's how it went, anyway.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Yes and I admit I have thing for ugly/crazy asshole Rhys Ifans too, but over adorable sweet Chris O'Dowd?

Naw, bitch.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm going on the record saying I didn't like Bridesmaids at all. I saw it as part of a string of 'dumb' comedies, which isn't what I usually watch. I fucking loved Bad Teacher, and I thought Horrible Bosses was fairly funny, too. And I expected Bridesmaids to be better than either of those, given all the buzz. But, no. I thought the performances were all good, but Kristen Wiig's character was just such a miserable bitch, and even though I didn't like her, I really hate humiliation comedy even when it's picking on an unlikeable character, and it seemed like the film leaned on that SO heavily.

On the other hand, I just saw This is 40 and couldn't understand why that didn't get more word of mouth. It had a serious undertone, but didn't depress the crap out of me like Bridesmaids. And it was much funnier, IMO.

Another film that I thought was weird to be a "summer hit" was Magic Mike, which my husband and I tried to watch recently. Again, well-acted (female lead aside, MY GOD SHE WAS BAD) and it meant I finally can now recognize Channing Tatum (who runs together in my head with all those other bland, buff guys like Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds and Sam Worthington), and well-made, but it was SO DAMN DEPRESSING. Also really predictable by about 20 minutes in.

An hour in and my husband asked if we could turn it off because it wasn't entertaining to watch stupid people repeatedly make stupid decisions when we knew exactly how the movie would turn out. And I said with Soderbergh, there might be a surprise at the end, so the next day, I sat and spent 10 minutes rapidly scanning thru the rest of the film, and it exactly matched our predictions.

I guess I'm wondering why people find depressing stuff funny? The only depressing things I find funny are some types of black comedy. But appreciation for humor is far more individual than appreciation for drama, I think...

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:07 pm

I have no problem with scatological or edgy humor in principle, however too often there just isn't a joke there and it's used by bad writers as a crutch. Anytime I've seen a bad "family" comedy there's usually a poop joke in there. South Park is an example of who I think pulls off that sort of thing well.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:06 pm

My husband and I walked out of Horrible Bosses. I don't remember the last time I did that, (Thirteen, I think), but we were so bored and I don't think we did any more than chuckle in the 45-60 minutes we were there.

(No wait. I walked out of District 9, but that's because between the shaky cam and the gore, I felt queasy.)
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:10 pm

My unpopular opinion is I love Nicolas Cage so much. I just want to spend some time with him and have him tell me about the world. I want him to continue his string of wtf is this performances, juxtaposed with one really good film every five movies to remind us why he gets work. I want him to tell me all about the making of Zandalee. I would marry Nicolas Cage and live in a glorious plasticine castle with him, and agree to name our child Jonn Jonzz or whatever he wanted and when our shit got repossessed because Nic was lead astray by another shoddy business manager he probably met while rolling dice in some dingy speak easy (this is how I imagine he spends his time, natch) I would not leave. No. Because then who would spray on Nic's hair? WHO MAY I ASK YOU?!

Sorry guys. I have a lot of feelings about Nicolas Cage.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Kiran wrote:
My unpopular opinion is I love Nicolas Cage so much. I just want to spend some time with him and have him tell me about the world. I want him to continue his string of wtf is this performances, juxtaposed with one really good film every five movies to remind us why he gets work. I want him to tell me all about the making of Zandalee. I would marry Nicolas Cage and live in a glorious plasticine castle with him, and agree to name our child Jonn Jonzz or whatever he wanted and when our shit got repossessed because Nic was lead astray by another shoddy business manager he probably met while rolling dice in some dingy speak easy (this is how I imagine he spends his time, natch) I would not leave. No. Because then who would spray on Nic's hair? WHO MAY I ASK YOU?!

Sorry guys. I have a lot of feelings about Nicolas Cage.

That's unpopular?
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:20 pm

I watch National Treasures 1 & 2 whenever they are on TV despite the fact I think I own multiple copies of both and I'm so there if National Treasure 3: Nebraska=Atlantis ever gets made.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:13 pm

big chicken wrote:I watch National Treasures 1 & 2 whenever they are on TV despite the fact I think I own multiple copies of both and I'm so there if National Treasure 3: Nebraska=Atlantis ever gets made.  

Well, now you're going to have to sue them when that's the plot. Because it totally will be. Nice follow up to the Maya in South Dakota during the American Civil War as suggested in the second one. (I liked the first one; hated the second beyond reason.)
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next