Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Technical Issues and Bugs

+57
F8kKy
Tabby
Gallifrey Girl
BreezyK
chibimanda
mayram
RiverThames
Binky
laddical
Carrie Ann
slmader
The Dude
Author By Night
Raised by wolves
sagitare
truecrystal
PrincessCleo
bookworm
naughty zoot
mokey75
pizzagirl20
Matinee
maxell131313
punzy
puddingcup
Putli Bai
QueenSix
ulkis
eventide82
Red Wolf
jcpdiesel21
philophobe
boutros boutros kitty
sixchooks
mrinsouciance
inversed
Sheli
tothemax
Escape
Corellderaan
katesti
whatthedeuce
dinahmoe
Pumpkin Cake
Poubelle
Lily Rose
Swarley
blooey
blixie
The Glen
punkysdilemma
biakbiak
Instant Monkeys
MLIS
Jasmine
filwdork
particle_person
61 posters

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

Technical Issues and Bugs - Page 8 Empty Re: Technical Issues and Bugs

Post  particle_person Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:11 am

Okay, last call for keeping the paper icons. If nobody has asked for them to be kept by midnight EST, I'll turn them off. As usual, all decisions are reversible if it turns out someone was using them for heaven-knows-what useful purpose. ;-)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:13 am

Okay, now getting rid of the icons. Temporary weird forum behavior will ensue, until I get things sorted. (I wish I had a way to try things out without modifying the board, but I don't.)

ETA: Done.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:43 am

Edited nothing to see here!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:45 am

Okay, really all done now. I was trying to get rid of the legend and I managed to hide the whole forum by mistake. Oops. Anyway hopefully I haven't done anything else inadvertently. Seriously, I'm glad our nuclear weapons aren't controlled with CSS.

The paper icons for New Posts and No New Posts are hidden, but I left the ones for locked thread and the paperclip for stickies.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:32 am

Random question is there anyway to block the "similar topics" at the bottom of individual threads? They aren't ads but they seem to fall into two main categorizes right wing political (it could be left wing in the threads I don't visit) or grisly crime/murder forumotion sites. Last time I checked The Good Wife thread had five links to true stories of women being being murdered. I mean I understand the ads that operate on keywords and the reason for them but this just seems to be for helping other sites on Forumotion get traffic. Just curious if possible to turn it off, completely understand if it's not.

ETA: Nevermind! I realize you aparently only see this "similiar topics" when you aren't logged in! I didn't realize I was only seeing it on my phone and not the computer.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:15 pm

particle_person wrote:Okay, really all done now. I was trying to get rid of the legend and I managed to hide the whole forum by mistake. Oops. Anyway hopefully I haven't done anything else inadvertently. Seriously, I'm glad our nuclear weapons aren't controlled with CSS.

The paper icons for New Posts and No New Posts are hidden, but I left the ones for locked thread and the paperclip for stickies.
Woo! Thanks. Those pieces of paper did nothing but confuse me.

And I so agree about CSS. Nothing like a heart attack brought on by forgetting to put a semicolon somewhere, which suddenly makes your site look totally batshit.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:05 pm

It doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, but Grainne Mhaol reports not being able to see links at all. She uses Opera, if that's relevant.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Hm, let me see if I can reproduce the problem. CSS implementations vary quite a bit between browsers, but it's odd that LINKS would be the issue if that's it, because there's nothing fancy involved in coloring them. If she'd said the View New Post buttons were acting oddly, that would surprise me less because I'm doing some CSS3 things there. I'll PM with her.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:14 pm

Sounds good, thanks.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:38 am

Making some tweaks to make the site view properly in the Opera (version 11) browser. If you use Safari, Mozilla, Firefox, IE, or Chrome then HOPEFULLY you will see no changes.

Edit: Done for now. If you use Opera, please tell me whether everything looks the way it ought to now.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:46 am

Is there any way when I click on a subject title on the main page (say, "Friends" is the last subject replied to in the Television topics) it can take me to the last post I read in the Friends thread? Right now when I click on it I get taken to the very beginning of the thread.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:49 am

That's what the button on the right with the picture of a little piece of paper is for. (If I'm understanding what you want correctly, that is.) I'm starting to think I should swap out the piece of paper for a text link that makes it clearer what the button does.

To answer the broader question, no, I can't change link behavior.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Added the Meetup area back. Moved the previous Boston meetup thread into it.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:07 pm

I've found myself logged out twice today. Don't know why that it, I never log out.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:13 pm

Red Wolf wrote:I've found myself logged out twice today. Don't know why that it, I never log out.

It's the start of a new month again. We last discussed this issue on December 1st, and the way things are going, I expect someone will bring it up on January 31st. (If someone does, I fully intend to link this post. ;)

ETA: ...actually, I just noticed you made the original complaint, Red Wolf! You should put a post-it on your monitor or something. "I will be logged out randomly from SF at the start of each month."
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:31 am

Ah yes, you're right. I really should post that note. Will I? Check back in Feb.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 am

So I just found myself logged out again. I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to why this happens. And it's not even the first any more!

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Same. I was logged out yesterday and today.
Escape
Escape

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Hm. There is definitely a logout problem but I'm not sure it's the same one as the end-of-month one. Both are cookie-related because that's how the site remembers whether we are logged in or not. Anyway, Blixie has started to look into it.

Perhaps separate from this, I have noticed that whenever I open Snarkfest from a different IP address (for example work versus home) it makes me log in anew.

Also, I seem to have more trouble on iPhone and iPad than on my laptop, perhaps because of the way those device store/don't store their cookies.

As a workaround, maybe try to use your browser's auto fill to put the password in automatically?
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 pm

I, too, had to log in again this morning. I usually don't have a problem, other than the documented end of month issue, but on both my iPad and my work computer I was logged out this morning when I tried to access the board. I tend to read the board from four devices (my home laptop, my iPad, my iPhone, and my work computer) and generally stay logged in on all four devices, but today I was logged out on three of the four devices (haven't used my laptop today, but did just check my phone and it's logged out as well). I logged back in and have stayed logged in through the day.

Not a big deal, it only takes ten seconds to type my password (and it's definitely a first world problem!), but I thought I'd add my experience in case it helps with the troubleshooting. (I use IE on both my home and work computer, and Safari on the iProducts.)

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah, these reports are useful. Regarding the end-of-month logouts, you can set a cookie to expire after a certain length of time, and I assumed that Forumotion has set the "logged in" cookie to expire at the end of the month as a security measure. I still have to check this assumption. Whatever happened today was probably not that because (obviously...) it ain't the end of the month anymore. Anyway, when I'm back on my laptop later I will do some more sleuthing. I'm on the iPad right now.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:11 pm

particle_person wrote:Perhaps separate from this, I have noticed that whenever I open Snarkfest from a different IP address (for example work versus home) it makes me log in anew.

I don't always have to log in again, but it doesn't remember my reading history from location to location, only computer-specifically. Also, if I don't visit the site for a few days and hit read all new thread, it only gives those from about the last day, and also doesn't remember my in-thread location correctly (starts me past where I last read up to, almost as if every day, it assumes I've read everything that was posted up until that midnight, even if I didn't read at all that day).

It's not a huge issue, but it does lead me to overlook parts of threads as a result.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Okay, I'm poking around in the Snarkfest cookies. Here's what I see so far, in more technical detail than most people will care about:

- 3 cookies, two of which expire at the end of a "session" (when you close the browser) and one of which expires on a set date.
- The last cookie has the following gibberish stored in it:
a%3A2%3A%7Bs%3A11%3A%22autologinid
%22%3Bs%3A64%3A%2208b731b807390950b5ecc2ee48e2f879addb197w08b731bdfdb4b5b291477753%22%3Bs%3A6%3A%22
userid%22%3Bs%3A2%3A%2211%22%3B%7D
which we can decode with the handy URL Decoder/Encoder tool. It spits out:
a:2:{
s:11:"autologinid";
s:64:"08b731b807390950b5ecc2ee48e2f879addb197w08b731bdfdb4b5b291477753";
s:6:"userid";
s:2:"11";
}
This is obviously the important cookie that stores the login information. I happen to be user 11 (you can tell by looking in the URL when you visit your profile: mine says, https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com/u11, so I'm user 11). The autologinid must be a secure key of some kind that probably changes if you log out and log back in again (to be confirmed...).

Most importantly, this cookie says it will expire on Sat, 05 Jan 2013 01:34:16 GMT, which is exactly a YEAR from when I logged in. So it seems it should NOT be dying at the end of each month (unless there's something I'm missing here).
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  pizzagirl20 Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:29 am

I don't know if this thread or the chat thread is most appropriate for this, but our chat at Forumer has run out. It's been at least a week now. I know in this thread (and the chat one) that there have been discussions about other possible options for chat, as the one that comes with Forumotion isn't quite up to the level of prior chats.

So, while there may be no instant solution, I at least wanted to post here to let you guys know that right now, there's no chat.
pizzagirl20
pizzagirl20

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:34 am

Hm. Well the easiest solution is to put some money in the Piggy Bank on Forumer to get that chat back. I funded us last time...
---

Regarding the logouts, blixie found someone else on Forumotion having the same issue today, so it's not just us.

Last edited by particle_person on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum