Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Publishing Scandals

+96
Fraoch
mandalaya
eventide82
inversed
jstilwe
Kiran
ulkis
Coneycat
Lily Rose
Carrie Ann
Jamie
allochthonous
draco vulgaris
VodouDoll
epudom
curryalley
Shadowlass
BreezyK
bosoxgirl
Heather
Decca
Wildog27
woolhat
Francie Nolan
maxell131313
Bad Username
GirlDrinkDrunk
pamchenko
harvey the penguin
katesti
Red Wolf
Tabby
leone
vwlphb
Esme
UmaOprah
blixie
Binky
Eris Rising
Jessica
Lady V
Morning Angel
Putli Bai
sagitare
Brainchild
Pop'n'Fresh
Snarryfan
Gilraen
oxymoron
Escape
MtOlivePickles
VictorLaszlo
laddical
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
TiffanyNichelle
ActonBell
punkysdilemma
Cutebutpsycho
Swarley
swsa
punzy
xyzzy
Jude
boutros boutros kitty
pinguerin
puddingcup
Raksha
Luthien
MLIS
Instant Monkeys
mialoubug
biakbiak
Crackie
Auroura76
Rhilin
bbridges
bookworm
year of the cat
Daisy Steiner
Jasmine
DarkSpork
Poubelle
big chicken
Miss Moneypenny
QueenSix
PrincessCleo
Cynara
The Glen
naughty zoot
Paris, Texas
caerbannog
Unlucky Bear
particle_person
Genevieve
RiverThames
100 posters

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 5 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Snarryfan wrote:I am going to write an erotic novel about the adorable stalker who falls for the creepy klutz. Millions, I tell you, I will make millions!

I would totally read that and do a fanfic based on it. Which will be turned into a movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:43 pm

I probably should have thought of this sooner--let's move further discussion of this to the Publishing Scandals thread, it's also been brought up over there.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:55 pm

So wait...Bella is Pepe Le Pew? And Edward is Penelope Pussycat?

This changes the books for me.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:34 pm

The creepiest part about Master of the Universe for me was that Edward had all these mommy issues, actually referred to her most times as "the crack whore", and then at age 15, ended up in a BDSM relationship with an older woman. And this is NEVER really shown as the sexual abuse that it was. Like Bella is regularly shown to be irrational in her hate for this woman, and she just needs to understand that she SAVED Edward from his evil mother or something. I don't know if this made it into the book, but it was really maddening in the fic.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:55 pm

As someone who has written the occasional fan fiction, what bothers me about Fifty Shades of Grey is that I almost feel . . . not quite offended, but very irritated by the whole situation. I work hard to make the few fics I've written in-character, set in the same world, and work with the plot that the author set out. Getting a seven-figure book deal for a story essentially incubated in someone else's fictional universe that the author made a few minor changes to (as seen in the turnitin example) feels squicky to me. I can't articulate how it's different from retelling a fairy tale, or a myth, or writing a high school AU like Avalon High or Troy High, but it feels very different to me.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm less squicky (in general) about AU fics being turned into for-reals published books--if it was still all vampires and whatnot I'd be raising my eyebrows much higher. However, in this particular case, the author's tendency to include some of the physical quirks and tics of the actors who portray Edward & Bella is definitely troublesome to me. Then again, I ask myself--if I didn't KNOW that this was originally fanfic, would I know that the heroine bites her lip because Kristen Stewart does? I don't think so, but it's hard to un-know something once you know it.

There's another BDSM AU fic from the Twilight universe that met with moderate success--The Forbidden Room, I think it's called, but I don't know what the name of the original fic was. (It's Edward/Jacob slash, with a bit of Bella thrown in, but she apparently gets killed in a sequel to allow the twoo wub to emerge.)

I'm kind of a nut for the creative commons and open cultural sharing, but Ms. Meyer did not license her work to allow commericial derivatives, so I'm curious about how all this works from a legal standpoint.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 pm

I think fictionalized versions of famous people are usually okay - you see thinly veiled depictions of people in fiction a lot, so I think using Kristen Stewart's tics is probably kosher too (is my non-expert guess).

Apparently Dear Author is going to have a copyright lawyer/law professor blog about fanfiction legality stuff, which should be fun. Hopefully this situation will be one of the questions she gets (hard to imagine it wouldn't be after all the publicity!).

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

As a heads up, in case you're reading back over the thread and it looks wonky, we made a mod decision to move Fifty Shades discussion from Psychotic Fans to this thread. So I split and merged the posts. LIKE A BOSS.

... I are smart
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:21 am

What bothers me about it is the title is so close to Jasper Fforde's recent novel, 'Shades of Grey,' which is a truly brilliant book.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:04 pm

There are a few books out right now with a similar title. There's a YA novel called Between Shades of Gray. I can easily imagine a teacher assigning the YA novel in class and a parent flipping out because that book gets mistaken with 50 Shades of Gray.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:42 pm

I hope that someone accidentally picks up Fforde's "Shades of Grey" while looking for 50 Shades of Grey, because it is a terrific book. I can't wait for the sequel. I've had a request at work for 50 Shades of Grey, so it's spreading. What does "50 Shades Freed" mean? "50 Shades Darker" I kind of follow, but the final title of the trilogy confuses me.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Brainchild Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:19 pm

I hadn't heard of this whole phenomenon until it had hit Yahoo News, but coming here to find out that it's basically a crappy AU Twilight fanfic AND that it's from the same woman who gave us the unicorn orgasms wank AND made an epic online flounce when she decided to go pro has given me the best laughing fit I've had in ages. Good lord, it's like a perfect storm of wank - I'm suprised it hasn't hit Fandom Wank yet again, with all the buzz it's gotten and the distaste most of the romance novel review sites have for it.

Seriously, though, I've no issue with its fanfic past - plenty of authors started out that way. The fact that she barely altered it is sad and rather lazy - jeez, when Cassie Clare makes more of an effort to hide her old fanfic than you do, you have problems. What few excerpts I've seen through this thread only demonstrates the crappiness of her prose, even by the generously purple standards of romance novels. I think what bothers me most is that people are getting so excited (pun not intended) over such crappy smut. I bet you could browse through your average Barnes and Noble and find a good handful or two of bondage-based romances that are far better written (or at least feature better and more interesting smut) than this.

Brainchild

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Brainchild wrote:I think what bothers me most is that people are getting so excited (pun not intended) over such crappy smut. I bet you could browse through your average Barnes and Noble and find a good handful or two of bondage-based romances that are far better written (or at least feature better and more interesting smut) than this.
This is what has me kind of gobsmacked about this whole thing. It's so very obviously badly written that I don't understand how anyone could get any kind of sexual thrill from it. Have fans of this crappy book been so embarrassed to purchase an actual erotic novel that they're now glomming on to this? Because the readers don't seem to be shy in being publicly excited about it. It's sad to me that they think this is some primo example of the erotic genre.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Exactly. I could list a handful of erotica novels off my Good Reads list that are probably 10x better than this.

I also am not that shocked that they are talking about this being a movie.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I think that the whole thing just makes me disgruntled. There are tons of talented writers out there and there's these people who somehow just get all the attention.

But at the same time, the people who are scouring with publishing know she's got a built-in audience with this so they don't have to worry about marketing. I'm starting to think of this as the minor leagues and then when the publishing companies see a lot of buzz for someone, they'll approach.

It is a business after all, but it also makes me so cynical.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Brainchild wrote:I hadn't heard of this whole phenomenon until it had hit Yahoo News, but coming here to find out that it's basically a crappy AU Twilight fanfic AND that it's from the same woman who gave us the unicorn orgasms wank AND made an epic online flounce when she decided to go pro has given me the best laughing fit I've had in ages. Good lord, it's like a perfect storm of wank - I'm suprised it hasn't hit Fandom Wank yet again, with all the buzz it's gotten and the distaste most of the romance novel review sites have for it.
It's not the same author as the unicorn orgasms. That author is the one who got into it with this author when she first pulled her fic to publish. Sadly, despite the easy unicorn punchline, she's actually a much, much better writer than "E.L. James".

Apparently E.L James works in public relations, which makes a lot of the hype over this book make more sense. I have a feeling the articles and reports about this being a phenomenon with mommies on the Upper East Side happened before it actually BECAME a phenomenon with mommies on the Upper East Side.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Brainchild Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Aw, that takes away a little of the fun. The idea of this crossing two wank streams was just too delicious. Oh well.

Brainchild

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:13 am

But the Unicorn Orgasm girl was the one accusing James of saying she was all in it for the money! It totally counts!
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:34 pm

The latest rumor in the 50 Shades saga is that the book that began as fanfiction now has its own fanfiction. I wonder if Cassandra Clare has a fanfic community too?

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Brainchild Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:50 pm

That's just freaking meta. The only it could get moreso is if people started doing remixes of that fanfiction, so it would be a fanfic of a fanfic about a franchise based on a fanfic.

And now my brain hurts.

Brainchild

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:20 pm

What if people then publish their fanfic-fanfic? What if people write fanfic about the published fanfic-fanfic?

What if someone writes an AU fanfic where they're all vampires?
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:51 pm

And instead of BDSM the vampires are all about hanging out in high school for eternity and playing baseball in the middle of the night!

Ahh... that's just stupid. No one would go for it.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:11 am

And then there's this cheerleader, who lives a secret double life cause she's really a vampire killer...no, wait, that's not it....
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Sony Offers $5 Million for Fifty Shades.

You should see my face right now. It looks something like this: - ______ -

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:39 pm

I am completely disgusted by that.

I don't care that it started out as fanfic--it's badly written and portrays the kink lifestyle as a mental illness. (Granted, Chris is a dangerously bad Dom, but the author writes him as if he's typical.) I'd rather Sony spend $5M on The Night Circus, the NaNoWriMo novel that was published recently.

Puke.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum