Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Publishing Scandals

+96
Fraoch
mandalaya
eventide82
inversed
jstilwe
Kiran
ulkis
Coneycat
Lily Rose
Carrie Ann
Jamie
allochthonous
draco vulgaris
VodouDoll
epudom
curryalley
Shadowlass
BreezyK
bosoxgirl
Heather
Decca
Wildog27
woolhat
Francie Nolan
maxell131313
Bad Username
GirlDrinkDrunk
pamchenko
harvey the penguin
katesti
Red Wolf
Tabby
leone
vwlphb
Esme
UmaOprah
blixie
Binky
Eris Rising
Jessica
Lady V
Morning Angel
Putli Bai
sagitare
Brainchild
Pop'n'Fresh
Snarryfan
Gilraen
oxymoron
Escape
MtOlivePickles
VictorLaszlo
laddical
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
TiffanyNichelle
ActonBell
punkysdilemma
Cutebutpsycho
Swarley
swsa
punzy
xyzzy
Jude
boutros boutros kitty
pinguerin
puddingcup
Raksha
Luthien
MLIS
Instant Monkeys
mialoubug
biakbiak
Crackie
Auroura76
Rhilin
bbridges
bookworm
year of the cat
Daisy Steiner
Jasmine
DarkSpork
Poubelle
big chicken
Miss Moneypenny
QueenSix
PrincessCleo
Cynara
The Glen
naughty zoot
Paris, Texas
caerbannog
Unlucky Bear
particle_person
Genevieve
RiverThames
100 posters

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 17 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Coneycat Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:08 am

Based on this article she wrote about an ongoing incident when she was a teenager, Hale needed help a long time ago. I certainly hope someone puts the pieces together before she really hurts herself or someone else.

Doesn't make me want to read her book, though. That's the thing batshit crazy authors never seem to get: bad reviews might put off some readers, but behaving like you're dangerously unbalanced puts us off, too.

[ETA] Also, over at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books, they make the point that when the piece of art is released, its relationship to the consumer has nothing to do with the creator. You write the book, but what happens between the book and the reader belongs to the reader, and you don't get to control it anymore.

Also, this bit is entirely made of win, as the old folks say:

Kathleen Hale's actions and her decision to write about them were abhorrent and beyond inappropriate, reachable only through hours of hiking into the Realm of Really Goddam Wrong.

(Hale should perhaps consider the case of JK Rowling, who as far as I know has never confronted ANY of the vast armada of crazyfans who vilify her for not making Snape the real hero of the Harry Potter books. She should give workshops, honestly.)

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:43 am

Something that disturbs me about the scenario is how some people are normalising what happened. Even Jezebel, in an article which lays out clearly that the author is acting in an illegal and threatening manner, repeats that it's a case of 'Team Nobody' because the reviewer had the effrontery not to give her real name on the internet. I.e. she was really at fault for being stalked. There is some really over-the-top identification with the author and very little with the victim of her criminal behaviour. I'm glad the Smart Bitches gave a dose of reality.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:18 am

The Glen wrote:Something that disturbs me about the scenario is how some people are normalising what happened. Even Jezebel, in an article which lays out clearly that the author is acting in an illegal and threatening manner, repeats that it's a case of 'Team Nobody' because the reviewer had the effrontery not to give her real name on the internet.

I was a bit boggled by that as well. A lot boggled, actually. Pen names are wrong and readers aren't allowed to express their opinions about books on a site dedicated to expressing their opinions about books? Seriously?

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  SelfAmused Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:41 pm

This situation is fascinatingly horrible.  The Dear Author breakdown attempts to fact-check Hale's claims.

SelfAmused

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:24 pm

Peter S. Beagle suing Conlan Press and Connor Chochran for elder abuse and fraud

Author friend checked out the case number, so this seems to be a real thing, despite the reddit link.

More
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:38 am

A woman pretends to be a Penguin Publicist so she could con reviewers into taking her self-pubbed novel, apparently.

http://bookishantics.com/2016/01/04/beware-catfished-fake-penguin-employee/

RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:41 pm

RiverThames wrote:A woman pretends to be a Penguin Publicist so she could con reviewers into taking her self-pubbed novel, apparently.

http://bookishantics.com/2016/01/04/beware-catfished-fake-penguin-employee/

What a way to get a whole community as a whole against you, and possibly legal troubles as well. Yikes.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:25 pm

Well, this has to be a scandal: DAW Books bought four more books from me.

http://mrmaresca.com/wp/the-alchemy-of-chaos-and-beyond/
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Yay, RiverThames!
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Awesome, congratulations!!

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Kindle Pro - library no longer limited by weight. Kindle Con - can't get books autographed by the author.

Damn you, Amazon One Click.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:28 pm

particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:07 pm

I'm surprised it took this long, to be honest, seeing that Cassandra Clare has form for plagiarism. However, given that she seems to have stopped literally cutting an pasting text, it may be hard to prove that she stole the idea. Unless, the plaintiff can show more points of similarity than just similar names and a similar idea, it looks a little like a nuisance suit. Books about demon-hunters are pretty common nowadays. Though Ms. Clare is the most popular at present, a quick search of Goodreads returned pages of results on the topic.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:33 pm

I haven't kept up with the Clare insanity and had no idea ABCFam (or whatever they are now) are doing a show based on her drek. How sad. I don't understand why any respectable publisher, network, or studio will touch this woman with a 10 foot pole. The movie version of These Mortal Instruments was a flop, was it not? I remember back when the Draco Dormiens/TMI thing was going on, someone mentioned that she was selling Tolkien fanfic using Tolkien characters at CafePress and that she had three or four laptops "stolen" while writing the Draco trilogy and set up gofundme type pages to have her fans replace her tech so she could keep writing. If even a fraction of this is true, her career should have never made it past the original plagiarism scandal. I don't get how some authors can survive this sort of thing with barely a scratch on them (Clare) and others are just done writing forever (Cassie Edwards). Why doesn't Clare's shit stink?
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:01 pm

Lots of other writers (and her publisher) don't seem to care what happened before she went pro. I'm not sure why. Do they think it was just youthful hi-jinx? Cassie Edwards had been a pro for a long time, and in addition her scandal was HILARIOUS, which got it a lot of press.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:44 pm

particle_person wrote:Lots of other writers (and her publisher) don't seem to care what happened before she went pro. I'm not sure why. Do they think it was just youthful hi-jinx? Cassie Edwards had been a pro for a long time, and in addition her scandal was HILARIOUS, which got it a lot of press.

It's sort of like how fucking around isn't cheating until you're married. Does that make any sense? I've asked around a bit, and yeah, no one really cares that much. We all have literary skeletons in our closets, no one wants to make airing them out a thing.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:19 am

I suppose it's because plagiarism is the one unforgivable sin of writing, like stealing jokes is for comedians. Considering the amount of sweat and tears it takes to produce one decent story, let alone make it published, finding out that someone stole your stuff is pretty heartbreaking. When a writer has a history of plagiarism, it calls their current integrity into question.

However, given that there are a limited number of ideas floating around - and a large number of writers - there are a lot of shockingly similar concepts within the genre. I find Cassandra Clare readable enough, though her stories are rife with tired tropes, like many former fanfic writers (and I would know). As I said, she's probably a lot more careful with her cribbing than she once was.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum