Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Soundtracks and Scores

+11
Kiran
particle_person
harvey the penguin
draco vulgaris
Gillian
Unlucky Bear
Poubelle
dinahmoe
Auroura76
mokey75
whatthedeuce
15 posters

Go down

Movie Soundtracks and Scores Empty Movie Soundtracks and Scores

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:21 am

I haven't been able to stop listening to the Walk the Line soundtrack for the past 3 days! It kinda makes me wish Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon would randomly cover more country songs together.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Movie Soundtracks and Scores Empty Re: Movie Soundtracks and Scores

Post  mokey75 Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:36 pm

I still have the soundtrack to Singles on my iPod. It holds up way better than the movie did. (Though I still have a soft spot in my heart for the movie. What can I say? I spent way too many nights in my 20s holed up in some basement club smoking Marlboro reds and listening to terrible grunge bands, heh.)
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:03 am

I was obsessed with the American Beauty score for a loooooooong time. Same with Gladiator, and I didn't even like that movie much.

I also really loved the score to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. I believe Desplat did this one, and it was a nice change from what John Williams set up initially.

My favorite part of the Oscar season is NPR's review of all the nominated scores in a given year. So much fun!

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:06 am

My favorite soundrack of all time is Joe Jackson's score of Tucker - The Man and His Dream. It has a multi-tonal jazz tympani solo. I can't even make up a better reason to love this.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:29 am

The Two Towers score will always hold a special place in my heart for its beautiful use of the Hardanger fiddle on the Rohan theme. (The Rohan theme in general is wonderful.)

I think it was fourth or fifth grade (the last year before we got to join orchestra or band) that the music teacher put the first Star Wars on and told the class to think about what the movie would be like without music. That was probably the first time it ever really occurred to me just how much effect music has a on a film. Y'know, once I got done thinking about how cool it was that I got to watch Star Wars in school.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58 pm

I have the Master & Commander soundtrack on regular rotation in the car. I love both the movie and the music.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:03 am

All three of the Lord of the Rings scores are basically holiday music to me. Since they all came out this time of year, and we were all completely obsessed. I spent every Christmas break for three years in a row either going to see the movies or listening to the scores in my car. Ten years later, I always add the music to my Christmas playlists, because it's not December without it.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:27 am

I've had the Hunger Games soundtrack on heavy rotation in my car for the past week. I love "Take the Heartland" even though it devolves into unintelligible screaming at about the three-quarter mark and comes off as a little too "Wooooo! Violence!" for a movie with the exact opposite message. I also like "One Engine" (although it annoys me that Colin Meloy pronounces "barely" with three syllables) and "Abraham's Daughter", despite the fact that I can't understand a freaking word of it. My favorite is a tossup between "Daughter's Lament" and "Nothing to Remember".

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:05 pm

draco vulgaris wrote:and "Abraham's Daughter", despite the fact that I can't understand a freaking word of it.
I heard "Abraham's Daughter" on the radio a couple of weeks before the movie came out, and even though I am a huge Arcade Fire fan, I didn't like the song all that much. I didn't hate it, but it didn't really do anything for me. But for some reason, it really worked for me hearing it over the credits. Maybe it was just the atmosphere or something. I need to go listen to it again and decide if I really do like it after all. And then I need to listen to the rest of the soundtrack.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:28 am

There are so many haunting songs on that soundtrack. I knew Maroon 5 had a track on it, but I heard it twice without even realizing which one it was! The KiD CuDi track scares the crap out of me because it's so menacing and sinister.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  harvey the penguin Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Oh, the soundtrack isn't the music that was in the movie? That sucks. I was all excited that an album with Laurie Spiegel and Steve Reich was selling so well.
harvey the penguin
harvey the penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:22 pm

whatthedeuce wrote: I knew Maroon 5 had a track on it, but I heard it twice without even realizing which one it was!

I wondered what Maroon 5 was even doing on an album that's mostly bluegrass and country-pop, but much to my surprise they managed to pull that one off .

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:36 am

That was a big and welcome surprise to me, too!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:40 am

I liked "Abraham's Daughter" (which has interesting lyrics, so it's too bad they're hard to hear). I also really liked "Daughter's Lament" which is both very Hunger Games-specific, but also steals the rhyme scheme from classic ballad forms. It's really interesting to analyze that one using the description of ballad structure at this link. I wish I'd had a course in this stuff, because it's fascinating.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:32 pm

"Kingdom Come" is great. I love the Civil Wars's sound, and the female half of the group has such a gorgeous voice. "Take the Heartland" is anoher standout for me. I wasn't even aware that was Glen Hansard. That's the guy from Once, right?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:11 pm

And the Frames yes.

My favorite song is The Ruler and the Killer. I love Kid Cudi so much.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:13 pm

I love the wide range of artists on that soundtrack, and KiD CuDi's song is brilliantly dark and eerie. It gives you the feeling that someone is watching your every move, which is so appropriate for the Capitol folks.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:30 am

Yeah. I'm not really into hip-hop, but that song's starting to grow on me.

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:21 am

To me, CuDi has a very different vibe from most other rappers because he has such introspective (and often dark and depressing) songs. If you like "The Ruler and The Killer," you may want to check out his albums, draco vulgaris!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  TatersPrecious Wed May 02, 2012 11:33 am

Unlucky Bear wrote:I have the Master & Commander soundtrack on regular rotation in the car. I love both the movie and the music.

I adore that soundtrack. It was the one I was going to list first lol.

Other soundtracks I love:

The Illusionist
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
The Dark Knight
The Piano
Amelie
The Matrix

TatersPrecious

Back to top Go down

Post  elleth Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:32 am

Having just watched the newest Jane Eyre, was anyone else struck by the similar feel/sound/tones of the theme in that soundtrack to 'The Lark Ascending' by Vaughan Williams?

elleth

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:52 pm

I'm still annoyed after all these years that the "Tristan and Isolde" soundtrack does not have the actual piece playing during the DVD menu. I mean, it has a bit, but it's not played the same way like on the DVD menu. I actually just throw it on and leave it on the menu so I can listen to it over and over (and no I don't know how to rip it, I'm a luddite. And no one else on the internet does either at least that I know of because I've tried to find it, heh.)

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:11 pm

Not sure where this goes, but I adore this guy's hardrock cover of Mulan's I'll Make a Man out of You. He says on reddit he's going to tackle some other disney, too.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:33 pm

that's pretty cool. hope he makes more too

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down