Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies at Home

+95
Shadowlass
draco vulgaris
ariadne
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
PineappleGirl
Coneycat
Poubelle
big chicken
Grainne Mhaol
salamandersam
Raised by wolves
wenchsenior
sen3
puddingcup
PrincessCleo
Never Enough
Bad Username
dreago
Escape
mandalaya
UmaOprah
chibimanda
Fiammetta
Carrie Ann
jensa
Swarley
Luthien
darthtall
pamchenko
ActonBell
FiggyPudding
Agent Sculder
Jamie
Tabby
Raksha
ulkis
epudom
mrinsouciance
The Dude
Menshevixen
Snarryfan
swsa
Matinee
MaddyCat
Jude
Gillian
Miss Moneypenny
xyzzy
TiffanyNichelle
Cutebutpsycho
biakbiak
themis
truecrystal
Corellderaan
RiverThames
tothemax
Eris Rising
laurelin_kit
rivki8699
mokey75
jaraga
Instant Monkeys
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Auroura76
Gallifrey Girl
killershrew
QueenSix
punzy
bbridges
caltrask55
sagitare
Red Wolf
laddical
nikita
Algae
Rhilin
Binky
choubetcha
naughty zoot
mayram
inversed
Unlucky Bear
curryalley
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Morning Angel
Cynara
eventide82
jcpdiesel21
queenofdenile
blixie
katesti
Putli Bai
99 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Movies at Home - Page 9 Empty Re: Movies at Home

Post  killershrew Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:42 pm

laurelin_kit wrote:
Auroura76 wrote:
killershrew wrote:We were on a roll this weekend, because last night we watched The Prestige. I really like Christopher Nolan's other films, and this was no exception. I was really glad that at the end they explained
Spoiler:

Did they, though? Wasn't there some big discussion about how we, the audience, is hoodwinked by the whole story? It's been a while since I've seen it, so forgive me, but I remember reading a really interesting post somewhere that posited the entire movie was a "prestige" on us. I'll see if I can find it.

Spoiler:

I was okay with all of this because as long as they explained it SOMEHOW, that was all I wanted.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:45 pm

mokey75 wrote:I am a terrible person, because I laugh SO HARD at that scene in the salon where Julia Roberts has the fit. "Drink your juice, Shelby" never fails to give me the giggles.
It's always OK to laugh at Julia Roberts. Always.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:34 pm

We watched Crazy, Stupid, Love last night and it was really good. Steve Carrell swings perfectly from comedic to emotional in a heartbeat. I'm sort of glad there was an even balance between the single guy out on the town and the recently separated couple interactions, and I'm glad Jacob didn't go through the whole "I'm a player, but now I'm in love, so I'm going to become a total committment-phobe" thing. The whole film was just great.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:27 am

Confederate States of America. It's a mockumentary about the South winning the American Civil War, and taking control of the whole of America, covering up to the present day. Creepy as hell, and I suspect that was the point.

Part of me wants to criticise the history, but part of me realises that the attention to true historic detail wasn't really the point.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:29 pm

The makers really stretched the idea of foreign assistence was close to happening, but plenty of CSA apologists make it seem like the south "was this close to winning". Of course it wasn't really the point and more it was to examine the consequences of how the war would have turned out as nostalgists would have wanted it. Even though it was a satire and okay to laugh I still felt guilty about doing so.

Is it wrong for a grown man to tear up at Dr. Zhivago? Because I totally didn't do that.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Beginners was a very sweet, sensitive little movie with some really nice performances - including Arthur, the Jack Russell terrier (who runs a close second to Uggie from The Artist as best canine in a film this year).

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:39 am

I finally saw Midnight in Paris and I liked it but it was a pretty slight movie and suffered from just ending like Allen got bored and decided to stop making a movie. Owen Wilson was a pretty good Woody Allen stand in and Marion Cotillard got to wear some beautiful 1920s costumes. I also really liked this portrayal of Hemingway, speaking in nothing but the most dramatic language and generally being exactly how you'd imagine him. I just feel like it needed just a little bit more to really be complete.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm

I watched Cedar Rapids last night, and ultimately decided that I liked it, despite all the embarassment squick. (I hate embarassment squick). John C. Reilly is a national treasure. So is Stephen Root.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:50 pm

can someone tell me what the hell [The Road] was about?
I love me some bleak, depressing shit, but I had to take a 12 hour break from that movie when
Spoiler:
And I read the book, so I knew what was going to happen.

I'd argue that the movie/book resonates on different levels with different people--environmentalists, say, vs. sociologists--but to me it was a study of moral relativism. The boy wants to be good guys, and the father just wants his kid to live. My mother liked it as a post-apocalyptic fairy tale.

Personally, I can't read or see it again. It's just too depressing, even for me.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:21 am

Gilda, are you decent?

Yes, I'm... decent.

And with that I fell in love with Rita Hayworth. How have I not seen Gilda before?

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:20 am

Why did no one say that Warrior was such a good movie? More than just an underdog sports movie. And I cried so many tears at the final scene.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:12 am

Midnight in Paris was so charming! I wish Inez and her family weren't such over-the-top horrible people, just to make them more interesting. But now I want to go to Paris so bad!!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Inez was horrible.

Also, HOT.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:32 pm

inversed wrote:Midnight in Paris was so charming! I wish Inez and her family weren't such over-the-top horrible people, just to make them more interesting. But now I want to go to Paris so bad!!

Yeah, I felt like one ugly American caricature could have been enough and Inez's parents were overkill.

I watched more movies this weekend than I have in a year, thanks to 2 cross-country, baby-free flights. Katesti and I watched that masterpiece of cheese (cheeseterpiece?) Step Up and then I watched Midnight in Paris and What's Your Number on the plane. Number managed the near-impossible of making Boston look like a sunny and gorgeous place to live and naked Chris Evans was excellent, but I would have cut Ally's parents and all her friends except her sister (who was soooo pretty). They were just pointless.

The last one I watched was Sunshine (the one in space, not the one with Ralph Fiennes). Did any of you see it? Because I seriously need to talk about how/where it went off the rails. I actually really liked it--I just felt like it completely lost steam at the end.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:10 am

Are you talking about the part where they
Spoiler:
It is also a problem for me with the last part of 28 Days Later which I think starts strong and has a weak ending.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:31 am

The Towering Inferno I saw it my grandparents when I was a kid and it gave me nightmares. As an adult I can enjoy the cheese. A wonderful monument of the garish 70's and it's never bad to see Paul Neuman.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:17 pm

bbridges wrote:Are you talking about the part where they
Spoiler:
It is also a problem for me with the last part of 28 Days Later which I think starts strong and has a weak ending.

YES. THAT. I'd forgotten about the last act of 28 Days Later, but you're right that it was the same problem, where

Spoiler:

Plus, I loved all of the characters except Rose Byrne's wet dishrag and was disappointed that
Spoiler:
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:05 am

Sunshine! Ugh, that movie was SUCH a missed opportunity. I saw it in the theater and was enthralled with the first two thirds of it; the premise was cool and the circumstances were creepy and intriguing. But yeah, it completely went off of the rails
Spoiler:
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:37 am

We watched Crazy, Stupid Love last night, and I liked it a lot. I was glad they kept the obligatory wacky hijinks to, like, 10 minutes. I forgot how much I like Julianne Moore when she isn't attempting a Boston accent, and the kid who played their son practically stole the movie with his report on The Scarlett Letter. (Which was true, btw.) And oh my, Ryan Gosling is hot like fire. I've always thought he was attractive, but oh my. *fans self*
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Unstoppable. Oh my, what glorious junk food. So very cliched, and aware of it. I like that it tweaked a few of them. The old guy, three weeks from forced retirement. And he lives. They toyed around a bit with the corporate suits suffering from asshat syndrome, but kept it to a minimum so there really wasn't a human villain here. That actually surprised me. I hadn't ever really seen a trailer for this film, though I remember it coming out in theaters. I had expected there to be some stupid terrorist nonsense. A straight up man-versus-machine story hasn't been done in a while, I think. Not counting stories where the machines are intelligent.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:47 am

The Guard was not as much of a comedy as the trailer lead us to believe, but it was still pretty entertaining.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:55 pm

I hadn't ever really seen a trailer for this film, though I remember it coming out in theaters. I had expected there to be some stupid terrorist nonsense. A straight up man-versus-machine story hasn't been done in a while, I think. Not counting stories where the machines are intelligent.

That was why I enjoyed Unstoppable too, the fact it was just a complete accident and not anyone deliberately trying to hurt people was almost...refreshing.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Count me as another fan of Unstoppable. I went in expecting nothing more than to look at Chris Pine for ninety minutes and surprised myself by really enjoying the story. Then I had to go read about the real incident that inspired the movie.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:29 pm

mokey75 wrote:We watched Crazy, Stupid Love last night, and I liked it a lot. I was glad they kept the obligatory wacky hijinks to, like, 10 minutes. I forgot how much I like Julianne Moore when she isn't attempting a Boston accent, and the kid who played their son practically stole the movie with his report on The Scarlett Letter. (Which was true, btw.) And oh my, Ryan Gosling is hot like fire. I've always thought he was attractive, but oh my. *fans self*

The man really knows how to wear a suit.

I watched I Love You, Man earlier on, and was mostly disappointed. I liked the premise - how difficult it can be to make friends as an adult - but I just didn't find it funny. Maybe I couldn't warm to Jason Segal's character because he refused to clean up after his dog.
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:33 pm

How to Train Your Dragon. Dreamworks's cartoony people are less appealing to me than Pixar's, and the writing was so-so in spots. But those are nitpicks. I LOVED it. The voice acting was great. It had the kind of ending I like the most, where
Spoiler:
It didn't hurt that the main dragon was animated to be basically a giant kittycat. Also all the flying scenes were awesome. I'm disappointed I didn't get around to seeing this in 3-D in the theater.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next