Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+86
xyzzy
RubyTuesday
salamandersam
allochthonous
emrie
Coneycat
Lurker
Paris, Texas
Jamie
sagitare
maxell131313
Carrie Ann
Poubelle
swsa
The Glen
Rhilin
SarahJanet
Gillian
laddical
Francie Nolan
pinguerin
Luciano
sen3
blixie
mayram
Gilraen
vwlphb
aninnocent
chibimanda
darthtall
bookworm
Pop'n'Fresh
draco vulgaris
Disclaimer
rivki8699
Gallifrey Girl
choubetcha
Tabby
naughty zoot
QueenSix
Genevieve
mialoubug
punzy
snorf
ariadne
dinahmoe
Me Talk Pretty
eventide82
Putli Bai
Swarley
EggSpreader
Binky
Cynara
gannetguts
Algae
stargirl
Red Wolf
Dachelle
MaddyCat
SelfAmused
ulkis
epudom
puddingcup
Jasmine
katesti
queenofdenile
Kiran
inversed
mixtape
paradig_m
Raksha
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Kookla
particle_person
Bad Username
VodouDoll
mokey75
Menshevixen
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
Instant Monkeys
Jude
bbridges
Shadowlass
Crowbridge
90 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 9 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  mokey75 Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:41 pm

mialoubug wrote:
big chicken wrote:Started reading Anna Dressed in Blood last night and I really like it so far. But then I realized it's not a book I can read right before bed due to the subject matter of vengeful murderous ghosts so I'm also reading The Alchemyst.

I loved Anna Dressed in Blood. I thought it was really well done. I understand there is either sequel on the way or just out.

It came out over the summer. It was pretty good, and wrapped things up nicely. I actually thought there was a third on the way, and I couldn't imagine what they'd do with that. So I was pleasantly surprised this was it.

I just started Tell the Wolves I'm Home. It's amazing so far. I'm only 30 pages in, and I just want to give June a big hug.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:22 pm

My only issue with Anna Dressed in Blood was the romance. I actually thought the narrator had better chemistry with the popular girl he befriended.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm doing my annual re-read of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and A Christmas Carol. I know them both practically by heart, but I have to read them every year.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:00 pm

big chicken wrote:Is it Daniel O'Malley's The Rook people are raving about?
Yep.

I just started Ken Jennings' Because I Said So, where he tells the truth on all the parenting wisdom we've heard and passed on, like swimming after eating. It's pretty entertaining; he's got a light touch and keeps it humorous.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:00 pm

I just read Discount Armegeddon by Seanan McGuire and I really enjoyed it. It's fun urban fantasy with great threads of absurdity.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 pm

I loved Tell the Wolves I'm Home. Her uncle just seemed so wonderful and it had one of the most interesting depictions of sisters that I've read in a while.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Disclaimer Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:34 pm

I really enjoyed Tell the Wolves I'm Home too, it was so poignant.

Disclaimer

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:43 pm

The title alone is such an attention grabber! I'm definitely putting Tell the Wolves I'm Home in my library queue! Anna Dressed In Blood is a really badass title, too, but I get scared really easily, so I'm leery about trying that one. On a scale of 1 to 10, just how freaky does it get?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:28 am

I get scared really easily too and I think as long as I don't read it right before bed, I'll be fine. I'm only 40-something pages in though.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:38 am

I'm also reading Tell The Wolves I'm Home, based on Jasmine's recommendation. It's my reading-at-bedtime book, since Far From the Tree - a 952-page hardcover - is not appropriate for reading in bed. I'm loving it so far.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:39 am

Okay, thanks for the heads-up, big chicken! My problem is that whenever I happen to be reading something that's even mildly creepy, I always tend to get so engrossed in it that I end up reading it late into the night. If that novel is as good as y'all make it sound, I may be in for some sleepless nights. BTW, I totally laughed when I read your comment and then looked at your username!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 pm

I remember Anna Dressed in Blood being a little creepy but not, like, put it in the freezer levels of scary. It was more than you might usually find in a contemporary YA book, maybe, but not comparable to a horror book or anything. I did read it on a beach in glaring sunlight though.

I have been reading some of the Peter Wimsey series, on and off. I like Peter and Harriet and the books are okay but that's about it for me. I put down the one I was reading a week ago and still have no urge to pick it back up. I'm not a huge fan of mysteries, so I should have expected it, but people rave so much about the series that I thought it might be an exception. Any readers of the series, is it worth it to continue on to Gaudy Night? That seems to be a lot of people's favorites and it's the next up for me.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:48 pm

choubetcha, that sounds l exactly the right amount of creepiness that I can deal with. Putting the novel on my list now, so many thanks to you and big chicken!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:25 am

I am a major fan of the TV show Game of Thrones, so I tried to read the first book and it just wasn't working for me. It wasn't bad, but the show seems to follow it so precisely I just didn't see the point. Maybe I'll try reading the books where the show leaves off... only I'm afraid it will ruin the show for me!! And I seriously looooove the show.

So, I finished Jellicoe Road today, and I've never had a book punch me in the gut so many times with the pure emotion of some of the lines. It was amazing though. Reading about
Spoiler:
It was definitely very emotionally manipulative, but it was just so beautifully crafted that I didn't mind.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:33 am

I have to say that IMO, the Ice & Fire books are better than the show. Read them! You'll see some differences as the series goes on, for the most part for the better.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:15 pm

I just read The Rook and it was awesome! Thanks everyone for glowing about it here.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:09 pm

I literally have the book right next to me and am about to check it out of the library. So excited because of all the positive word of mouth here!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am

Ooh, I'm on the hold list for The Rook at the library and will hopefully get it this week. Good to know it's getting good reviews!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:29 am

Well now I must read The Rook too and just downloaded it. Excellent holiday reading, I'm sure!

But only after I finish Faithful Place by Tana French, which I'm really enjoying thus far.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:46 am

MaddyCat, that was the first French novel that actually ended satisfactorily to me. I really hope you'll enjoy it!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:08 pm

I decided to finally tackle Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell as I read somewhere that a tv series is on the horizon. I'm totally out of practice with reading large books that aren't on a Kindle (I bought the book at least 5 years ago and it is a massive 1006 pages long), so have spent far too much time trying to find a comfortable reading position.

I'm about 10 chapters in and am liking it so far - I really hope it is worth the inevitable hand cramps it'll give me.

Last edited by epudom on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:42 pm

I am waiting for the day Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy comes out in ebook so I can read it. I have a paper copy but it is not easy on the wrists. I had to read Goblet of Fire lying on my stomach on the couch with the book on the floor. I do tend to prefer paper books but I cannot deny ebooks are a godsend for those with unnaturally small hands and weak arms.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:45 pm

I finished Tell the Wolves I'm Home over the weekend, and I think it's my favorite book this year. I sobbed til I couldn't see when
Spoiler:

And I'm 3/4 of the way through Where'd You Go, Bernadette, and it's really fun. It was an excellent palate cleanser after TtWIH.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:49 pm

big chicken wrote:I am waiting for the day Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy comes out in ebook so I can read it. I have a paper copy but it is not easy on the wrists.

Apparently that will be happening in May 2013!

epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:19 pm

epudom wrote:I decided to finally tackle Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell as I read somewhere that a tv series is on the horizon. I'm totally out of practice with reading large books that aren't on a Kindle (I bought the book at least 5 years ago and it is a massive 1006 pages long), so have spent far too much time trying to find a comfortable reading position.

I'm about 10 chapters in and am liking it so far - I really hope it is worth the inevitable hand cramps it'll give me.

I read that during the summer of 2006. I used to bring it with me to my hospital appointments and when I'd go for my remicade infusions. At one appointment, the doctor setting the drip looked at the book in surprise and said "How long do you think you're going be here today?!" Heh. As it was, I fell asleep during the infusion so didn't much read. It's a BIG book.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next