Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies at Home

+68
Poubelle
Grainne Mhaol
big chicken
TiffanyNichelle
Melk
Kookla
mayram
Eris Rising
themis
truecrystal
dionneshea
Gillian
MaddyCat
spidey_88
emrie
Swarley
bbridges
Sheli
Binky
sagitare
shamoogity
The Dude
Morning Angel
The Glen
mrinsouciance
Putli Bai
xyzzy
vwlphb
gannetguts
biakbiak
Matinee
killershrew
Wildog27
Algae
Jude
nikita
Cutebutpsycho
Miss Moneypenny
naughty zoot
Kiran
laddical
punzy
ulkis
Unlucky Bear
Esseilte
RiverThames
Agent Sculder
katesti
Instant Monkeys
Bad Username
mokey75
Cynara
Coneycat
Carrie Ann
Gallifrey Girl
blixie
PrincessCleo
whatthedeuce
QueenSix
Snarryfan
bookworm
salamandersam
Red Wolf
PineappleGirl
Raksha
puddingcup
inversed
eventide82
72 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Movies at Home - Page 15 Empty Re: Movies at Home

Post  Raksha Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:04 am

For some fucking reason I thought it was a good idea to watch Death Bell, a Korean horror movie about a bunch of kids being trapped in a school and picked off one by one. At 1am. By myself. Frankly, I blame Kim Bum. If he weren't so goddamn pretty, this never would have happened. Or it would have, but at a reasonable hour of day, when I wouldn't have to stay up another 2 or 3 hours rewatching episodes of Coffee Prince until I can convince myself to go to sleep.

WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF??
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:58 pm

I watched Snowpiercer on Netflix. It was intense and thrilling, and creepy (WTF that one car with the guys in hoods?!) The sets and effects were very cool.

Cut Captain America's hair and have him grow a beard and I found him unrecognisable!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Snowpiercer had some incredible action sequences!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:49 pm

Super behind on my 2014 movie watching, but over the weekend we watched Guardians of the Galaxy and Divergent, both of which I enjoyed a LOT more than I thought I would. I'm not really one for Marvel movies, but Guardians was really good - funny, with a good serve of action. Divergent was so Hunge Games-esque, but I expected that, even though I hadn't read the books. It was a compelling enough film, and I quite enjoyed it.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:26 pm

I liked Divergent - I don't think the girl was quite right for the part, but she was okay. I'm super shallow so I was just glad the lead was hot after the non-hot leads of Hunger Games.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Ulkis, heh, agree with you about the guy!
eventide82
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:09 pm

A bunch of friends and I did a cookie swap and watched A Royal Christmas (one of the 12 Hallmark holiday movies). If you play guess the plot you will probably be right. It was at least as hokey as expected and my drinking friends had an excellent time playing a version of the Lifetime movie drinking game. There was cheering at several points because of that. And also a plot moppet. Highly recommend watching with several moderately drunk and snarky friends. Next weekend we are going to try another!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:45 pm

I finally watched The Lego Movie on the weekend and LOVED IT. The dialogue was so snappy and the little items that were used as President Business' weapons and relics were very clever. I think my favourite part was when 1980s Spaceman finally got his moment. So glad this film lived up to the rave reviews!

Last edited by eventide82 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
eventide82
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:38 pm

I watched An Affair to Remember on TCM last night after avoiding it for years thanks to Sleepless in Seattle.  I love Sleepless in Seattle despite the fact that Meg Ryan's choices are all batshit insane, but I guess that only showed the melodramatic parts of An Affair to Remember because I've spent my whole life assuming it would be melodramatic and dull, despite the Cary Grant factor.  But it wasn't!  I mean, yeah, it was melodramatic in parts, but it was also charming as hell.  The only thing I could have done without was Deborah Kerr's herd of precious chorus children, but even they weren't so bad because it was nice that she had something to focus on besides Cary Grant when her luck went all to hell.  I guess I assumed her post-accident character would be more gloomy and broody and noble sacrifice-y, so it was a pleasant surprise to see that she had a job and a personality and goals and stuff.  Good movie!  Now, what other classics have I prematurely judged...?

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:15 am

Just caught Lincoln on my parents' Showtime on Demand. It was horrifically bleak, but I suppose it suited the subject matter. I think I'm kind of done with Spielberg, though. His pacing just gets worse and worse, and his misuse of historical figures is getting a bit tiresome. I very much enjoyed Thad Stevens hopping into bed with his black housekeeper, though. I had to look that bit up online to see if there was any truth to it.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:58 pm

I remember thinking it should have ended when Lincoln walked down the hall. The assassination felt tacked on and rushed.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:26 pm

I watched An Affair to Remember on TCM last night after avoiding it for years thanks to Sleepless in Seattle. I love Sleepless in Seattle despite the fact that Meg Ryan's choices are all batshit insane, but I guess that only showed the melodramatic parts of An Affair to Remember because I've spent my whole life assuming it would be melodramatic and dull, despite the Cary Grant factor. But it wasn't! I mean, yeah, it was melodramatic in parts, but it was also charming as hell. The only thing I could have done without was Deborah Kerr's herd of precious chorus children, but even they weren't so bad because it was nice that she had something to focus on besides Cary Grant when her luck went all to hell. I guess I assumed her post-accident character would be more gloomy and broody and noble sacrifice-y, so it was a pleasant surprise to see that she had a job and a personality and goals and stuff. Good movie! Now, what other classics have I prematurely judged...?
I can totally relate to this. I saw this movie for the first time years ago and was like, "oh my god, why did I always assume this movie was terrible when it's actually great?!" Stupid Sleepless in Seattle... which, like you, I also love despite making me think a good movie is actually bad, and despite being, as you say, kind of crazy. :)

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:48 am

Caught A Monster in Paris on TV a few days ago after wanting to see it for ages. What a charming movie! I can't get the Seine song out of my head either.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:36 pm

I just watched Belle and thought it was excellent! Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Tom Wilkinson, and Sam Reid were fantastic. I loved seeing the inner turmoil roiling within Dido and also within her uncle. Such great performances all around! I recently found out my new obsession, Sam Claflin, was meant to play John Davinier but had to drop out to film Catching Fire, and though I'm sure he would have played the role beautifully, I think Sam Reid was just perfect in his place. He played the part with such conviction and naked emotion when needed.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:14 am

You guys, I finally watched The Princess Bride. I...did not love it. That's not to say I hated it, but I think it is just SO hyped up that I had really high expectations that weren't met. I expected it to be...funnier, I suppose, and a little more twee? I don't know, but it didn't do a lot for me. I did enjoy Many Patinkin, though, he was great.

Please don't hate me.
eventide82
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:28 am

I had that same reaction! Not bad, but not what I was expecting. Same with the book. Goldman claimed he edited it down to just the best bits? He should have edited it down further.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:30 pm

I like it a lot but don't love it as much as everyone else seems to. Like many movies, I think there's a critical period to see it in to form the deep love some have.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:39 pm

I had that same reaction! Not bad, but not what I was expecting. Same with the book. Goldman claimed he edited it down to just the best bits? He should have edited it down further.

The edited thing isn't real. It and his fictionalized family and Guilder being a real place fooled me as a child though.

Its my favorite movie of all time, but people have different tastes.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:09 am

The edition I read had an ad or something about the sequel, Buttercup's Baby, and for the longest time I thought Goldman had actually written it. This was pre-Internet so no Wikipedia to tell me it was just a joke.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:57 am

The edited thing isn't real
I know, but there were parts I found that dragged anyway.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:18 am

Philomena was a sweet, sad movie. I can't believe the Magdalene Laundries were a thing that existed for so long! It made me want to wake up my son for a cuddle. (I got my wish much later in the night when he woke up wanting to play for no reason but that's another story.)

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:03 pm

You should watch The Magdalene Sisters to get an even better understanding of what happened in those laundries. That movie was harrowing and bleak.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:02 pm

Kiran wrote:Its my favorite movie of all time, but people have different tastes.

Back when it first came out on VHS, I strong-armed my sister into choosing it for a family Thanksgiving watch. She was looking for something more intellectual to appeal to our dad, who in those days rarely sat through a movie. I somehow managed to convince her (on the grounds Dad had read and liked the book.)

Dad watched it twice and spent the weekend waving wooden spoons around, doing the Inigo Montoya bit. And then my little brother showed it to our little cousin, and I walked past the family room in time to hear this exchange:

Cousin: "Is this a kissing movie?" SWEAR TO GOD!
Brother: "It gets really good in a minute!"

So yeah, my love for this movie knows no bounds, but part of it is probably the associations!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:11 pm

My copy from the early 2000s had the first chapter of Buttercup's Baby along with this bit about how it was the only thing he was allowed to edit because the country of Guilder didn't like how he did it and the stuff he left out so they were getting Stephen King to do it because his family was actually from there. I believed all of it.

Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:29 pm

Man, the Internet ruins everything! It's so funny that jokes could last way longer before everyone could fact-check quickly everything via Google.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next