Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outlander

+21
Gillian
wenchsenior
LadyGayle
Cynara
Grainne Mhaol
Escape
salamandersam
year of the cat
Kiran
naughty zoot
Corvus
slmader
Raksha
Fiammetta
Arabella
xyzzy
Gallifrey Girl
QueenSix
eventide82
snorf
ulkis
25 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Outlander - Page 5 Empty Re: Outlander

Post  ulkis Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:54 pm

QueenSix wrote:
ulkis wrote:Are people complaining about her acting? Bah! She's great.

No, I haven't seen much of that but it's just when you see remarks that it was a boring episode because there wasn't enough Jaime. Sam Heughan is getting a lot of attention and rightfully so, he's made Jaime a much more interesting character than I found him to be in the book, but I like to see Caitriona Balfe getting her due too.

Ah, yeah, that. When someone comments about that to me I just ignore it. It's like, come on people, we will get plenty of Jamie, fear not.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:34 pm

question for book readers -
Spoiler:
Thanks in advance

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Unknown for sure-spoiler
Spoiler:
Next: On Kilt and Contrivance! Will Claire be forced to marry the prettiest virgin in all the highlands?? Stay Tuned!

Last edited by year of the cat on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 pm

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:25 pm

thanks year of the cat.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:22 am

ulkis, in one of the later books, it's revealed that
Spoiler:

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Photos from the wedding episode

Another clip from ep 7: Letter of the Law.

If you're sitting there wondering if I spend my time looking for clips and whatnot from this show, then wonder no more: Yes, I do. (I can do what I want, you're not the boss of me!)

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:51 pm

No complaints from me. :)

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:52 am

Oh my God. Between the
Spoiler:
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:20 am

The episodes seem to go with a theme, and this episode had a lot of violence to contrast the dinner-party setting. BJR is not a cartoon villain like Rickman in Robin Hood, DG makes sure you know his sadism is unrelenting.  I don't think that you can argue a woman of Claire's will agreeing to the bigamy otherwise. She's been though WWII, it's not like she cowers in the face of danger.  Knowing Randall is what brings Claire & Jamie together as a team, I don't think many of the Highlanders think an Outlander is worth the effort.  Dougal knows that he can hand over Claire to Jamie (in his mind, the reality comes out differently) to a man loyal to the Mackenizes who will do everything to keep Claire and her information out of English hands.

But lots of people felt the exact same way after the episode- I know I didn't rewatch it! Captioned review for 106
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:21 pm

I suppose they felt they couldn't not be explicit about what a bastard Jack Randall is, especially as everyone says he is one and we've seen Jaime's scars. That scene could have been worse with other producers/directors but agreed, it was hard going to watch. I was wincing and it's a good thing Meg was beside me during it to keep me company. (Okay she was asleep but still). And now we, the viewers (and any non-readers), know absolutely how imperative it is that Claire stay out of his clutches and why things go the way they do after this.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Actually in the book, BJR asks Claire if she has anything to say after the sucker punch? and she replies "Your wig is crooked."
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:04 pm

She would! Both BookClaire and TVClaire like to sass people no matter what peril they're in. At least people can't complain that they got TVClaire all wrong.

Edited to add: Breakdown of lashing scene with Ronald D. Moore, Tobias Menzies, and Sam Heughan

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:55 pm

My my Claire and Jamie are pretty. I'm glad I know what (vague spoiler)
Spoiler:
after this episode, seeing as how freaking adorable he was.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:05 pm

So I've been trying to convince my husband to read the first few books of this  series since finals week of 1992/3, when I picked up the paperback thinking I was doing my semi annual ritual of reading a crappy bodice ripper in celebration of ending exams with my brain melting out my ears. For the next week, he had to listen to me going on and on about how "this is really GOOD! you would love it! it's not a "romance novel" seriously!!"

He never believed me. Which is sad, because not only is he the romantic one, but he's also totally idealistic and LOVES stories about honor and nobility in the face of trauma, and TRUE LOVE that transcends death, and all that stuff. (I'm the super cynical, practical one who gravitates to snarky anti heroes). Anyway, I made him promise to watch a couple eps and see if he liked it.

He LOVES it. Last night, he drank expensive scotch in celebration of the nuptials, and then posted about how great the wedding ep was on Facebook. Television has succeeded where :counts on fingers: 23 years of regular persuasion from me could not.

More specifically on topic, they are doing a terrific job with this show. Also, it is quite a different experience to follow this story as a middle aged woman than I felt when I first discovered it at :counts on fingers: age 21. Back then, Jamie was more or less my age and seemed TOTALLY MATURE, and I couldn't understand why Claire wasn't all about embracing such an adventure. Now? Whole different story. I'm feeling every second of Claire's misery and dislocation, and Jamie is SUCH A PUPPY!! (a charming and gallant and attractive puppy, but still...LOL).

Also, the guy playing Black Jack is outstanding! Overall, casting is just excellent.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Back then, Jamie was more or less my age and seemed TOTALLY MATURE, and I couldn't understand why Claire wasn't all about embracing such an adventure.

That reminds me, I'm really impressed that they have one of the main guys missing his two front teeth. One of the men who was guarding Claire . . . not sure if he's the one they killed off. But I just liked that they had at least one person have not good teeth, heh.

He LOVES it. Last night, he drank expensive scotch in celebration of the nuptials

Hee!

ETA: what in the heck . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Musical-Kevin-Walsh/dp/B005NIPJ1O/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1411328636&sr=1-1&keywords=outlander

So tempted to listen to it. But I'm already suffering second hand embarrassment thinking about it lol

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Well, they're married now and there's nothing anybody can do about it!

I loved Claire's dress. Fair play to Terry Dresbach and her team because it was just gorgeous. I have to admit the way that corset was squishing her chest, I think my very unromantic response to the corset coming off would be to clutch my boobs and declare "jaysus, that thing was feckin' torture!"

I'm glad the episode wasn't done in a linear fashion. I thought it was more effective the way they wrote it, and I have to say I'm really glad that it wasn't this salacious sex episode where the woman was the object the camera lingered on. I didn't think they'd go that way as they have been careful to point out before this that they're not interested in that kind of story but it was great to see that their resolve didn't get broken down.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Poor Dougal...NOPE. LOL at Jamie "I'm going upstairs AND SLEEP WITH MY WIFE." I tried to count how many shots Claire downed, and I still don't know! Loved Rupert & Angus comedy hour as usual, and the dueling biblical verses with the priest. Does the show know that Scotland was more Protestant than Catholic, because we haven't seen any signs of it. I would have liked the pearls to make an earlier appearance, but they are here now, so no worries. I wonder if Dougal was the lord who originally paid for the dress? EAT YOUR HEART OUT JACKASS. Now, of course, everything will fall apart. But it was fun while it lasted!
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:14 pm

year of the cat wrote:Poor Dougal...NOPE. LOL at Jamie "I'm going upstairs AND SLEEP WITH MY WIFE."  I tried to count how many shots Claire downed, and I still don't know! Loved Rupert & Angus comedy hour as usual, and the dueling biblical verses with the priest.  Does the show know that Scotland was more Protestant than Catholic, because we haven't seen any signs of it.

I've wondered that, with both the book and the show.  DG probably knows but thought Catholicism was more gothy to write about or something.

ETA: Or maybe she was being accurate. My bad. This is what wikipedia, website of expert researchers ;), says  

In lowland Scotland, the Catholics tended to come from the gentry and formed the most ideologically committed supporters, drawing on almost two centuries of subterfuge as a minority persecuted by the state and rallying enthusiastically to Jacobite armies as well as contributing financial support to the court in exile. Highland clans such as the MacDonnels/MacDonalds of Clanranald, Keppoch, Glengarry and Glencoe,[4] the Clan Chisolm[5] and the Ogilvys[6] were largely still Catholic.[7] Other clans, such as the powerful Camerons, were Episcopalian, and as staunch Jacobites as their allies, the Catholic MacDonalds. The clan chief who led his men at the Battle of Culloden, the 'Gentle Lochiel', survived to command the French Régiment d'Albanie, and died at Bergues in 1748.[8]

---

I'm glad the episode wasn't done in a linear fashion. I thought it was more effective the way they wrote it, and I have to say I'm really glad that it wasn't this salacious sex episode where the woman was the object the camera lingered on. I didn't think they'd go that way as they have been careful to point out before this that they're not interested in that kind of story but it was great to see that their resolve didn't get broken down.

I don't really mind as long as they have the guy equally as exposed/focused on, and they did, so. I would have good with it even if it had been a bit more salacious. But I'm impressed. It was quite hot without seeming exploitative of Claire.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:49 am

From now on, could the reviewers not take the tone that oral sex was invented in the 20th cent?? Most sex acts have Latin names, and I'm sure Caesar and Cleopatra knew as much about them as Claire does. There are a set of very, very famous love letters written in the 17th century that are explicitly descriptive in that regard. Jamie had spent the last few months with the monks and doesn't own a copy of Fanny Hill, but some people knew about it. Angus certainly seemed to!
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:33 pm

I am not happy that this week's episode will be the last until January. I absolutely loved the wedding episode and Oh God, that wedding dress was gorgeous. But like QueenSix, I felt like her boobs must have been so relieved to get out of that corset.

I particularly like how the show is portraying the female gaze, and that Claire is sexual without the usual tropes. I know those are part of the books, but the show didn't have to follow that and I'm glad they did. I like that the focus wasn't just "BOOBS" but also the male form.

Mostly, I feel that all the actors are really bringing it. Especially Tobias Menzies in the last episode. In the books I found Frank a little boring but in the show I like him much more. And his portrayal of Black Jack is chilling.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:36 am

.......Especially Tobias Menzies in the last episode. In the books I found Frank a little boring but in the show I like him much more. And his portrayal of Black Jack is chilling.

Tell me about it! I love that he's created two completely different characters - one that's adorkable, and another who makes your hair stand up if he gets too close. I hope he gets some recognition for it.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:17 pm

To me, he even looks a little different as Black Jack. I don't know if it's just the wig or what. I think they'll probably submit The Garrison Commander for an Emmy, and the BAFTA. I think he deserves to be nominated for something. I think it must be more demanding to have one actor portray different characters. Joseph Gilgun in Misfits, and of course Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black. I become very impressed with actors holding themselves differently, having different mannerisms, seeming to occupy the space differently when it's all one person. And I think it helps the audience to empathize with Claire a little bit, seeing the same face behaving in such a diametrically opposed fashion and her wanting to run from the person who looks so much like her husband.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:14 pm

salamandersam wrote:I am not happy that this week's episode will be the last until January.

Actually isn't it March??

ETA: It is March, because Black Sails is gonna air in January.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum