Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Television Without Pity

+129
themis
festivus
punzy
dinahmoe
MaddyCat
Caramel Coffee
Gallifrey Girl
truecrystal
eventide82
Maria De Salle
BrightEyes
Muggsy
Corellderaan
rivki8699
Salieri
Lily Rose
CindyMc
GoodbyeWithWords
jstilwe
megageek
The Mighty Peanut
00redsvt
oxymoron
Mulva
Snarryfan
More Cowbell
Jude
naughty zoot
dionneshea
SarahJanet
winncienzo
Author By Night
greensock
Pumpkin Cake
violetq
Pop'n'Fresh
Luciano
VictorLaszlo
Binky
KaveDweller
QueenSix
UmaOprah
mialoubug
Fraoch
Coneycat
Raksha
draco vulgaris
Swarley
emrie
NoNotreally
Shadowlass
Jamie
VodouDoll
laddical
darthtall
Carrie Ann
Lancer
Sheli
Raised by wolves
Gillian
Matinee
Nerg
LadyGayle
Snarker
Esseilte
ActonBell
The Dude
MLIS
nazlan
Heather
Francie Nolan
Decca
Miss Moneypenny
Never Enough
flore
Red Wolf
Red Ghost
SelfAmused
Wildog27
bosoxgirl
Cutebutpsycho
whatthedeuce
Corvus
BreezyK
Siena
Tabby
jaraga
Putli Bai
xyzzy
Renny Sue
Unlucky Bear
gannetguts
PrincessCleo
Poubelle
Kiran
bbridges
snorf
pamchenko
Arabella
screamin
mo pie
MtOlivePickles
tothemax
jcpdiesel21
maxell131313
Luthien
Algae
swsa
Eris Rising
mayram
punkysdilemma
Ji Xiang
big chicken
biakbiak
blixie
roly
TiffanyNichelle
Melk
Instant Monkeys
blooey
Crowbridge
queenofdenile
mrinsouciance
ulkis
Jessica
skittlebox
Gilraen
RiverThames
Shalamar
133 posters

Page 1 of 30 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 30  Next

Go down

Television Without Pity Empty Television Without Pity

Post  Shalamar Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Just skimmed through the latest Person of Interest recap, and much to my irritation, the recapper keeps calling Michael Emerson's character "Bench". I thought "Uh, I could be wrong, but isn't it 'Finch'?". Yup, it is.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Television Without Pity Empty Re: Television Without Pity

Post  RiverThames Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:51 pm

You know, I haven't read any TWoP Person of Interest recaps, or any TWoP recaps at all for years, and DESPITE THAT I can already tell that they're calling him "Bench" as a joke because he played Ben on Lost, so using TWoP Nickname Math, Ben+Finch=Bench.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Ah. That's ... kind of lame, IMO (no offense intended to anyone here). I could understand calling him "Benry" on Lost, because he first said that his name was Henry, then it came out later that he was actually called Ben.

I'm also getting a little annoyed at all the "JC" comments on the Person of Interest forums. Yes, I get it. Jim Caveziel's initials are JC, and he played Jesus Christ in The Passion of the Christ. Moving on!

(Gee, I'm cranky today.)
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:43 pm

The only time I check in on TWOP lately is because I'm looking for discussion of some completely ridiculous non-network show that there's not a lot of talk about elsewhere (read: here). I've learned I can't do that though because the posters there are Very Serious about how unrealistic, inaccurate, and poorly done shows like Make It or Break It and Drop Dead Diva are. Which I find kind of baffling because I thought that was the entire point of those shows.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  skittlebox Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:37 am

I only really check out TWoP for spoiler updates on shows when I am inclined to read them and occasionally I'll check out the episode discussions if I'm bored and want something to read. I need to learn to not do that because argh. Way too many people there seem to actually HATE the shows and I can never understand why they a) continue to watch and then b) spend time discussing it when they hate the show so much. Find something else to watch!

I've not read an actual recap of a show there for years, since the first time I tried and got lost: way back when Desperate Housewives started. I'd missed a couple of episodes and tried reading the recaps to catch up on what happened and apart from calling that gardener guy "Miguel" (because the actor had played Miguel on the soap Passions) I could not follow what was going because I didn't understand all the other nicknames given to the characters (I'd only knew the Miguel one because I had watched Passions). Is it really so bad to call the characters their actual names from the show in the show you're recapping since not everyone would have watched those actors' previous roles to know their previous characters' names?!

skittlebox

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Heh, I totally wrote that one. Sorry about that! In my defense, back in the day, In-Joke Nicknames were very in vogue amongst recappers, but I am sure it could get annoying. (He'll always be Miguel to me. I actually can't even remember that actor's name anymore...)
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 am

Jesse Metcalfe. I know this, yet I haven't actually watched him since whenever Desperate Houswives started. I blame my incessant reading of Soap Opera Digest back then that I still remember this off hand.

TWoP can be annoying (to put it mildly - there are posters that I like, shudder to see their screen names when the post and wonder they the mod doesn't ban their ass), but on a site that big there's gonna be bad with the good. For my money it's still the best bet for a message board that has decent conversation and yet some traffic as well. In my experience you either have message boards that are good but aren't very populated or vice versa.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  skittlebox Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:26 am

Oh I get it - I call a bunch of actors by their character's names too most of the time if I see them in something else, but only with/around people I know who will get it. It was quite annoying because the "joke" ran through the entire recap and I was left scratching my head wondering what the hell I just read because it didn't even seem like I read anything based on the show I was trying to catch up on. It also made it hard to remember which character was which.

It bugs me in some of the forums where people do the same thing over and over. In the Ringer forum, they keep calling the actor who plays the teacher "Logan" (not his name in Ringer!) because he was "Logan" in Veronica Mars (I think, I never watched VM). I guess I should be happy that they're not calling SMG's character Buffy! *head desk*

I've been noticing some confusion in the forums lately with spoiler tags. People are posting links to cast/crew interviews and then discussing it under spoiler tags but then the mod unspoils it and makes posts on every page "reminding" people what classes as a spoiler (basically information that is leaked from an unofficial source is what I understand s/he means).

And now I'm confused with spoilers. I know a lot of people don't like spoilers at all and even consider reading interviews about the show giving away hints to future storylines as spoilers (which is what I have always thought a spoiler was - pieces of information giving away plot points) and thus they steer clear of reading these interviews. I'm not a spoiler-phobe, but if I were, I don't think I'd be happy with visiting the forum to read about the latest episode and discuss it and then have someone post an interview about upcoming episodes and see that discussed.

On the flipside, in the shows with their own separate threads for everything, I've been seeing people in actual spoiler threads cover their entire posts in spoiler tags. Why would anyone be in a the spoiler thread if they didn't want to read spoilers so what's the point in covering the post up?!

skittlebox

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:58 am

I've noticed some of the same things you describe, and thought it was a little odd. I saw that the mod for the Glee forum completely shut down the spoiler discussion thread, which was also the most active one. It seems like that mod has nothing but disdain for the show, which to me begs the question WHY that person ended up with that moderating assignment. I realize there's probably more to it than that, but it seems to me the whole exercise would be more enjoyable if the moderator also happens to enjoy the program being discussed.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:59 am

One thing to enjoy the show, another to enjoy moderating the forum. I've only peeked once or twice at the Glee forum, but I think I'd lose my temper very quickly. Not because the posters are so unruly, but if you have so many people posting, repeating complaints or arguments or rule breaking would get very old very quickly, I imagine.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:41 pm

There are also a LOT of posters on the Glee forum who take any criticism of their favorite characters as personal attacks, or will take a comment like "Blaine/Finn/Santana got on my nerves in this episode" as extreme character-bashing. I occasionally post there under a different handle and once idly mentioned that kids in McKinley might find Kurt and Rachel's attitude off-putting, and that commented was interpreted as "Kurt and Rachel deserve to be bullied" - and that's far from the most extreme example of poster nonsense. So yeah, I somewhat empathize with the mod there. Unfortunately, he also tends to lump the nonsensical posters and reasonable posters together when addressing everyone.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:00 pm

I occasionally post on TWoP, but not as often as I used to. It got too negative and whiny for me, especially the South Park thread. Most of the regular posters don't have anything good to say about the episodes and endlessly bitch about minor things, which makes me wonder why they even watch the show. But if you say that, you'll be met with a dozen, "Um, because this is 'Television Without Pity", in that smug way of theirs. Ugh. No wonder I mostly lurk now.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:11 pm

The first time I ever visted the forums, I was looking at the various cooking and food show discussions and was amazed that people could get that worked up over a lot of those shows. I get the bashing of Sandra Lee, because she sets herself up for it (in my opinion). But the extreme vitriol directed at a lot of the other hosts left me incredulous that people would actually get that negatively invested in them.

I can totally see the mod's frustration with the Glee posters, I suppose. I guess if it were me, I would look for a show forum that fit my taste and personality and leave the task of herding cats on the Glee discussion to someone else. But at least he/she tries.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:34 pm

I get why people might continue to post about a show they don't like for a little while. There's that period where you're falling out of love with a show but you still watch it, either because you're hoping it will get better or out of loyalty or habit. And because you're disappointed in what the show has become, it's cathartic to bitch about it on the internet, especially with like-minded people. That can kind of suck for those who are in the thread because they still genuinely love the show, though. What I really don't get are the people who continue to watch a show they clearly hate for two or three seasons, even when it's obvious the show is never going to do what they want it to. Life will still go on without the show, posters! Let it go!

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:14 pm

Crowbridge wrote:I occasionally post on TWoP, but not as often as I used to. It got too negative and whiny for me, especially the South Park thread. Most of the regular posters don't have anything good to say about the episodes and endlessly bitch about minor things
OMG, I'm so glad you said this! I went in there a couple weeks ago, because I was interested to read what people were saying about the making-of special. I read the comments on the previous half-season, and they were all so DOUR! Well, not all of them, but a couple of people in particular. BELIEVE ME, I know from taking TV shows too seriously, but...this is a cartoon. And...not a deep cartoon. It's not like it's Akira or something. They were saying stuff like "Since Mrs. Cartman works as a prostitute, she wouldn't have had the money to get Eric an iPad, and I wish the show had addressed that." Or "Butters's parents are the worst parents of any of them, and every episode that goes by without them getting their comeuppance I get angrier and angrier." It was very strange to me. I think of it as more of a satire and the characters as governed by the satirical mood. I know the show has had its deep moments, and I do feel that by and large it's a very sharply written show and some of the characters are really well-drawn (no pun intended). But this is a show where Kenny used to die every episode and where every other episode half the world is destroyed by some rampaging something or other. Worrying about consistency in the amount of money Cartman's mom has seems like a weird place to go in your criticism.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:28 am

Dour is exactly the word Instant Monkeys. I didn't visit the South Park topic, but I did go to the Big Bang Theory discussion over on TWOP, and I wish I hadn't bothered. They were analyzing the show like it was Mad Men or something. No mention of the actual comedy at all.
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:43 pm

The discussion about what bird Sheldon was actually holding went on for way too long.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  roly Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:11 pm

I went on the BBT thread the other night as well and couldn't help rolling my eyes at how post after post was declaring Penny an alcoholic. They've definitely shown her drinking a lot more in the last few episodes, but it seems pretty clear that it's being played for laughs. I can't really picture this show tackling something that serious. It was annoying, too, because someone on the thread referenced an article about Chuck Lorre and his issues with women and I really wanted to read it and went scrolling back through around 20 pages of "what kind of bluejay" and still couldn't find the damn link.

roly

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:46 pm

But if you say that, you'll be met with a dozen, "Um, because this is 'Television Without Pity",

I really really really wish they had never re-named the site that. I can't even remember WHY they had to change it from Mighty Big TV. I liked it a whole lot better before that re-branding.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:51 pm

I am pretty sure it was an issue of not being able to copyright MBTV because there was already something with that name so they decided to change it in case they ever tried to sell branded merchandise.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:53 pm

I don't think the Mighty Big TV name was the problem but I think someone else held the trademark to MBTV. It's the same reason why the World Wrestling Federation had to change it's name to World Wrestling Entertainment. The World Wildlife Fund has the rights to WWF.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:35 pm

I still have it under my bookmarks as Mighty Big TV. I don't handle change well y'all.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:37 pm

But if you say that, you'll be met with a dozen, "Um, because this is 'Television Without Pity",

Wait, you can say "Um" at the beginning of posts without getting banned now?!
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. I like the "um" rule. I've never read a post where that isn't condescending, unless it's used in jest.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji Xiang Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:43 pm

I've seen more "Um"'s too, which I attributed to the new mods (at least, it seems like new mods, though I know they renamed a few too) and a less feverish reporting by the Troll Patrol. Though yes, I do miss that one. I mean, TwoP is bitchy about its rules (or was), but damn it, it was nice to read fully spelled out sentences!

Ji Xiang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 30 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 30  Next