Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Watching

+112
Corvus
vwlphb
darthtall
Grainne Mhaol
pinguerin
MichiSichi
jstilwe
bookworm
Coneycat
BrightEyes
Heather
Evil Lincoln
Tabby
sunni94
chick binewski
jensa
ulkis
laurelin_kit
salamandersam
Jude
Case
mandalaya
Gilraen
Pumpkin Cake
big chicken
violetq
Dachelle
Shadowlass
Algae
jennlynnster
Matinee
Never Enough
bosoxgirl
VodouDoll
ActonBell
Kiran
punkysdilemma
Agent Sculder
Arabella
MaddyCat
The Glen
Morning Angel
naughty zoot
Fiammetta
dionneshea
slowmotion
xyzzy
mayram
Wildog27
Jamie
Menshevixen
bbridges
laddical
puddingcup
Putli Bai
CherryFlame
Miss Moneypenny
Escape
Jessica
blixie
The Dude
Cynara
nikita
Gillian
Red Wolf
gannetguts
chibimanda
GoodbyeWithWords
Wilhelmina
punzy
Bad Username
dreago
tothemax
QueenSix
RiverThames
jcpdiesel21
Luthien
marooned
biakbiak
mrinsouciance
sen3
sagitare
Raised by wolves
Swarley
whatthedeuce
Gallifrey Girl
Poubelle
epudom
maxell131313
truecrystal
Francie Nolan
Raksha
Carrie Ann
Instant Monkeys
Genevieve
rivki8699
Eris Rising
mokey75
Lindsay Weir
mialoubug
caltrask55
queenofdenile
emrie
eventide82
snorf
katesti
Binky
Unlucky Bear
choubetcha
TiffanyNichelle
inversed
jaraga
116 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

What Are You Watching - Page 20 Empty Re: What Are You Watching

Post  Kiran Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:10 pm

I thought it was supposed to be set in New York because they've mentioned they immigrated to the US and there was a subway.

Yes that is my logic.

Its filmed in Vancouver like every show is, though.

I really like it too.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:26 pm

I pretty sure it's set in Toronto and that is where its filmed, not Vancouver. The soccer mom lives in Scarborough (though that could point to NY), they mention Bay Street, and all the money is clearly not US currency, Ontario license plates, etc. according to a poster at TWOP when they show the computer screen at the German's hotel it said it was centrally located in Downtown Toronto but I wasn't paying that close attention so I can't verify.

They also said North America not the US when they discussed where they immigrated to, so I think it's supposed to be vague but most signs point to Toronto.

Holy hell, the season (series?) finale of Southland broke my heart.

Seriously! Poor Cooper.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:55 pm

I saw something (I think on AVClub) that said the creators joked that Orphan Black is set in Generica... aka Unspecified Major City In North America. That said, it's excellent. Tatiana Maslany is killing it.

Anyone else catch DaVinci's Demons? I'm not going to say it's a good show, but the first two scenes are A. Doctor Bashir smoking hashish and talking in prophetic gibberish and B. Lord Grantham walking around bare ass naked until someone murders him. How can you not love a show that gives you that?
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 pm

The Wire.

Finally after hearing about it forever. And people, it is just as good as everyone told me it was. It did take me a while to cognitively reorganize the actors I recognized from Oz and Homicide into their new roles. I think it's fun that people who played criminals on other shows are playing the cops, and visa versa. When the ME showed up I was like, no, you're a drug king pin in Baltimore!

It is really good. It also has racial and sexual orientation diversity that puts pretty much every other show to shame. (Gender not so much, but they improved a little on that after Season 1).

I'm only in early season 3, but it is so so good.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Hey, I'm watching The Wire for the first time too! I just finished Season 2. I had to take a break to catch up on Game of Thrones. It really is good. Just like all 90,000,000 people who've been telling me to watch it for years and years have said, heh.

The whole Toronto thing is making me chuckle, because my sister and I have a running joke (which is not even really a joke because it's totally true) that if you're watching an HGTV-type show and they talk about wanting to live in "the city center" and stuff and they just never really specify what city it is, it's Toronto. Because apparently if Americans knew they were watching a show about Canada they would angrily throw an eagle through the screen, or something.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm watching Orphan Black too and I'm loving it! It's really fun and the lead actress is fantastic. If this is what they're going to be putting out, I'm thrilled that BBC America is starting to produce its own original programming. More!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:22 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:Hey, I'm watching The Wire for the first time too! I just finished Season 2. I had to take a break to catch up on Game of Thrones. It really is good. Just like all 90,000,000 people who've been telling me to watch it for years and years have said, heh.

The whole Toronto thing is making me chuckle, because my sister and I have a running joke (which is not even really a joke because it's totally true) that if you're watching an HGTV-type show and they talk about wanting to live in "the city center" and stuff and they just never really specify what city it is, it's Toronto. Because apparently if Americans knew they were watching a show about Canada they would angrily throw an eagle through the screen, or something.

Yeah, so many of those shows are filmed here. I recognize Toronto's various neighbourhoods all the time.

And yeah, I remember reading a newspaper article saying Orphan Black is filmed in Toronto. As is Hannibal, although it's not like that is supposed to be set here. But I've recognized some Toronto actors as well as my university campus standing in for Quantico. Last week, the pharmacy they were in at some point in the episode, I could recognize that they were in a store of the "No Frills" chain.

Regarding The Wire, seasons 3 and 4 are so good, you guys. Season 4 introduces a bunch of new characters, which you might think is crazy to do more than halfway through a series, but I think it might be my favourite season of all (though it does mean less of other characters.) See now, I just feel like rewatching the series, but I've lent my series box set to someone. Curses!
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:47 pm

I had all of The Wire S1 downloaded last year and then got too lazy to watch it. It's the one show that I could swear I haven't really ever heard anything bad about. Well, other than that Dominic West's accent is a bit shaky at times, but that's a minor quibble.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:12 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:Well, other than that Dominic West's accent is a bit shaky at times, but that's a minor quibble.

And it's really not bad. He has a few slips in some of the more emotional scenes, but that's the case for a number of non-American actors. Honestly, the first time I heard his real accent, I was shocked! lol
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Yeah, I actually find it kinda adorable when I hear people's accents slip, and as you mentioned, that happens mostly during emotionally charged scenes when someone has to raise their voice.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:19 pm

I only wish David Boreanz accent slipped in every flashback on Buffy and Angel!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Boreanaz's accent is THE WORST. I'm (slowly) watching Buffy on Netflix, and IT IS SO BAD. Like, you guys warned me how bad it was, but I had no idea.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:05 pm

I also am FINALLY watching The Wire! I always internally rolled my eyes when people went on and on about how good it is--surely no show could be that good. I stand corrected. I just finished Season 3, and I'm trying to process a bit before I start Season 4, only because I know I'm going to want to mainline it and I need to block out some time. I wish it were acceptable to request time off work for such things.

Dominic West's accent bothered me a bit in the beginning, but I don't really notice it much anymore. It fits the character somehow, in some weird way that I can't explain.

I think S3 is my favorite so far, and a large part of that is that there is more Omar. Everything's better with more Omar.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Dominic West's accent bothered me a bit in the beginning, but I don't really notice it much anymore. It fits the character somehow, in some weird way that I can't explain.
I think his accent improved with time. Idris Elba's is flawless, though.

All the seasons run together for me, but lord I love me some Omar. ("Omar comin!" whistles Farmer in the Dell)

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 pm

I once was asked in a job interview who my role model was and I said Omar Little and then went JOKING ITS GANDHI.

It was totally Omar.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 am

I don't even know what to say about Hemlock Grove. Normally I would say such a thing and then actually say something anyway, but I really don't know what to say about Hemlock Grove.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:52 am

xyzzy wrote:I don't even know what to say about Hemlock Grove. Normally I would say such a thing and then actually say something anyway, but I really don't know what to say about Hemlock Grove.

I can't decide if that statement is good or bad.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:04 pm

emrie wrote:
I think his accent improved with time. Idris Elba's is flawless, though.

All the seasons run together for me, but lord I love me some Omar. ("Omar comin!" whistles Farmer in the Dell)

Dominic West's accent is all over the place. It's not that I know what he actually sounds like, but the accent(?) he went with is freaking weird. Idris Elba, however, is amazing. He should have won an Emmy just for that.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:Hey, I'm watching The Wire for the first time too! I just finished Season 2. I had to take a break to catch up on Game of Thrones. It really is good. Just like all 90,000,000 people who've been telling me to watch it for years and years have said, heh.

That made me lol because the other day I was watching oh I forget what it's called, that show with the brothers who redesign the houses people buy, and they kept saying well "this is near the city center but that's too far away from the city" and we were like where!?! what city?! why don't they say!! and then finally in the credits it said filmed in Canada or something and we were like, whyyyy didn't they just say.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 pm

Marathoning Damages. Just finished season 3. Every season to date we've watched the first few episodes and responded with "Well, I don't know, let's just give it a few more episodes to see where this is going", and ended the season with "HOLY SHIT THIS IS JUST THE MOST TWISTED THING EVER!"
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:19 am

I finished The Wire. And to be honest, the first thing I want to do is go rewatch the entire show. I already checked IMDB for each cast member, and I'm like "Why aren't they in more things?! They should be in all the things!" I think my favorite season is Season 4. That had some of the best young actors I've ever seen. I think I also need to check out Treme.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 am

Treme is fabulous.

A lot of the Wire actors pop up in the Good Wife of all things.

Also Michael K Williams is on Boardwalk Empire of course. But Dominic West and Idris Elba have done great tv work since too. Elba in Luther which I ADORE and West in The Hour, which was fantastic and in in Appropriate Adult which is based on a real notorious murderer and is fantastic but is also terrifying and unsettling. I believe he won a BAFTA for it.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:34 am

Kiran wrote:
A lot of the Wire actors pop up in the Good Wife of all things.

I guessed that it was because it's one of the few shows that films on the east coast (that and SVU, which also has some guest appearances) and google confirms. Thanks for the recs. I am curious what West sounds like without the, uh, Americanish accent.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:38 am

I thought his accent improved as the show went on quite a bit. He sounds different in both of those series. In the latter because hes playing a real life person and I can not emphasize how great and yet how unsettling he is in that miniseries.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:44 am

Spoiler:
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content