Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celebrity Dumb Quotes

+115
kanding
Kookla
eventide82
Sheli
themis
BrightEyes
draco vulgaris
Evil Evelyn
rat kitten
Pop'n'Fresh
Tabby
slmader
ariadne
Agent Sculder
Skyblade
Lis
jstilwe
pinguerin
Cynara
Melk
mandalaya
TiffanyNichelle
SarahJanet
Gillian
Coneycat
Snarryfan
laurelin_kit
Arabella
KaveDweller
dinahmoe
Corvus
jensa
Swarley
punkysdilemma
mayram
puddingcup
Raised by wolves
chick binewski
year of the cat
inversed
chibimanda
Wilhelmina
lisa
Unlucky Bear
Jordan Baker
katha
roseland
Heather
jaraga
Putli Bai
oxymoron
Menshevixen
easybreezy
Algae
big chicken
bbridges
salamandersam
Grainne Mhaol
Jessica
punzy
Francie Nolan
GoodbyeWithWords
Brainchild
Luthien
Lily Rose
Raksha
choubetcha
Never Enough
Decca
Rhilin
Jude
zip
Case
Instant Monkeys
curryalley
naughty zoot
katesti
Matinee
Escape
mokey75
dreago
sagitare
LadyGayle
jcpdiesel21
mrinsouciance
Crowbridge
The Lady of Shalott
Morning Angel
swsa
Miss Moneypenny
ActonBell
QueenSix
Red Wolf
blooey
The Glen
Eris Rising
truecrystal
maxell131313
bookworm
Cutebutpsycho
Binky
The Dude
tothemax
blixie
Pontius Pilates
Poubelle
particle_person
biakbiak
Genevieve
whatthedeuce
queenofdenile
Kiran
PrincessCleo
Carrie Ann
laddical
119 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Celebrity Dumb Quotes - Page 11 Empty Re: Celebrity Dumb Quotes

Post  lisa Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:55 am

I guess plenty of "real" women don't realize baby weight doesn't just come off, though.

Well, one of the modern maternity fairy tales is that if you nurse, the pounds just melt right off. Which, yes, but nursing doesn't automagically restore your abs, and it's not a license to keep eating like you're pregnant either.

Really, I found the whole area around postpartum weight loss to be kind of effed up, in no small part because I spent the first six months of my kid's life trying to get her to sleep for more than 90 minutes at a go, and trying to nurse exclusively while also working full-time, and honestly, stressing over whether I could get back into my favorite pre-pregnancy clothing was such a low priority, and yet if I said anything, I got comments like, "Well, I just think it's important for moms to take care of themselves." Which was code for, "It's been six months! Why is your stomach so poochy?"

Get me drunk and I will rant at how the makeover madness that is prevalent in American media has completely screwed with people's senses of how long it takes for people to adjust to major changes in their circumstances and to react accordingly.

lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:03 am

lisa wrote:
I guess plenty of "real" women don't realize baby weight doesn't just come off, though.

Well, one of the modern maternity fairy tales is that if you nurse, the pounds just melt right off. Which, yes, but nursing doesn't automagically restore your abs, and it's not a license to keep eating like you're pregnant either.

Heh...my own mother swore up and down that breastfeeding made her lose her baby weight, but she conveniently forgot to mention the hours of step aerobics and meals that consisted entirely of lettuce. So even people who know better like to contribute to that myth, for some reason.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:39 am

Hey, another postpartum misconception! There is a huge difference between losing the pregnancy weight and losing the pregnancy shape. The weight actually comes off fairly easily. But the fact is, unless you are a teen mom or extraordinarily blessed, your bustline, hips and abs are all going to show the effects of carrying around another human being and possibly manufacturing its food.

I don't doubt that J. Simp is carrying around a lot of extra macaroni and cheese -- she's always been one of those poor demi-starlets who needed to go on crazy diet+exercise plans to stay really lean, it's obvious her body default is "curvy," and she's just given it a lot of calories to work with. But I think even if she loses the weight, she's going to have to deal with the fact that Things Have Shifted Around.

lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:44 am

True, but she can afford a good plastic surgeon for that.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:31 am

I really wish Ben Affleck would shut the hell up about J.Lo.
"In our culture, we get very much into short- handing people. And I got shorthanded as That Guy: Jennifer Lopez, movies bombed, therefore he must be a sort of thoughtless dilettante, solipsistic consumer blahblahblah. It's hard to shake those sort of narratives," the "Smokin' Aces" actor shares. " If you were looking at that one-liner on me in 2003, which was definitely the annus horribilis [laughs] of my life. I made a bunch of movies that didn't work. I was ending up in the tabloids. I don't know what the lesson is, except that you just have to find your compass."
People bring up 2003, and I get it. Jennifer Lopez, and 'Gigli,' and all this s*** just kind of blew up. But, you know, in 2003, Barack Obama was a state senator in Illinois! Okay?"
1. I think you can talk about how that was a stagnant period for you without having to drop her name, TWICE, as one of the reasons why. It's been almost 10 years. You've pulled through things and are now highly respected. I don't really think a little discretion should be too much to ask.

2. Others may have forgotten, but I still remember just how into Bennifer he really was. The Variety ad, bringing her flowers on the red carpet when she was with her current husband, Jenny From the Block. Once the tide turned, he was suddenly the model of integrity, but he helped build that monster and trying to act like he was dragged into it all unwillingly is so rude and immature. For all her faults, I don't think I've ever seen Lopez throw shade at him. And he's the one who got caught cheating!
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:24 am

Ok, that quote is both dumb and unnecessarily mean to Jennifer Lopez, but oh it makes me laugh. That Ben Affleck, married father of three with a pretty good acting and directing career (I actually love him as a director), is still sitting there fuming over Gigli jokes is hilarious.

And I remember, too, that he totally contributed to that mess that was his life. It wasn't bad movie choices or your girlfriend, Ben, it was YOU.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:09 pm

It's the Obama comparison that's making me go :0. Like really?
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:25 pm

It doesn't even make sense because Obama was a successful, respected state senator. 2003 was when he announced he'd be running for US Senate, and that choice seems to have worked okay out for him.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:29 pm

In that passage all I can focus on is identifying Ben Affleck as "Smokin' Aces" actor. That was not a popular movie and it came out years ago. Why did they choose that out of all the possible movies?
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilhelmina Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:19 am

bbridges wrote:In that passage all I can focus on is identifying Ben Affleck as "Smokin' Aces" actor. That was not a popular movie and it came out years ago. Why did they choose that out of all the possible movies?
To make me lol. Also, I just checked on imdb, and that movie came out in 2006. Seems like he can't blame everything on the year 2003.
Wilhelmina
Wilhelmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:11 am

Possibly just to underline the stupidity of the quote, by associating him with a very average movie.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:49 am

The funniest thing about that quote was his use of BIG WORDS. "Thoughtless dilettante, solipsistic consumer"? Okay, Ben, you're very smart. You have an impressive vocabulary. Now go play.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:19 pm

I love Ben Affleck, but I was thinking the same thing, Crowbridge.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:26 pm

I'll just leave this here:

Rupert Everett: "There's nothing worse than being brought up by two gay dads".

Back with my own response later.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Crowbridge wrote:The funniest thing about that quote was his use of BIG WORDS. "Thoughtless dilettante, solipsistic consumer"? Okay, Ben, you're very smart. You have an impressive vocabulary. Now go play.

He got a word of the day calendar and he is keen to put it to good use.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Genevieve wrote:
He got a word of the day calendar toilet paper and he is keen to put it to good use.

Fixed that for you. :)
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Eris Rising wrote:I'll just leave this here:

I don't know. He doesn't say "there's nothing worse", just that he "can't think of anything worse". Subtle difference, but I think in this case it's important. He's not making a comment on parenting rights, and he's not saying that kids "suffer" in the way the other gentleman refutes later. I feel he's saying it's not an experience he himself would like to engage in - either as the parent or the child.

It's his mom's comment that I find clueless and condescending, and note that hers is the only one they bothered to include in full. Rupert's starts midsentence and is missing any sort of context. When did he say it? To whom? What question prompted it? Yeah, they link to the Times, but it's behind a login gate and I think that information is important enough to have been included in Huffington's reporting on the article.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:29 am

laddical wrote:
Eris Rising wrote:I'll just leave this here:

I don't know. He doesn't say "there's nothing worse", just that he "can't think of anything worse". Subtle difference, but I think in this case it's important. He's not making a comment on parenting rights, and he's not saying that kids "suffer" in the way the other gentleman refutes later. I feel he's saying it's not an experience he himself would like to engage in - either as the parent or the child.

It's his mom's comment that I find clueless and condescending, and note that hers is the only one they bothered to include in full. Rupert's starts midsentence and is missing any sort of context. When did he say it? To whom? What question prompted it? Yeah, they link to the Times, but it's behind a login gate and I think that information is important enough to have been included in Huffington's reporting on the article.

The difference between the two terms is so slight as to be meaningless, at least in terms of how it's going to be heard by gay parents out there. If he can't imagine anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads, then his lack of experience and imagination is so vast as to be stunning. Also, while he may not wish to adopt, he's giving ammunition to those who would deny other gay people the right to adopt, who can now point at this statement and say "Look! Even he agrees, and he's gay!" It amazes me that he would do this to other gay people, but there's an argument to be made that he doesn't actually owe them anything.

But of course, that doesn't take into account the thousands of gay parents out there who he insulted, men and women who want to do nothing more than get their kids to school, go to work, come home, help with the homework, maybe have some quality time with the family, and eventually drop off to sleep happy but exhausted. Does he know their children? Has he asked any child of same-sex partners how he or she feels about the situation? I somehow doubt it. This was simply an ill-informed, off-the-cuff remark that indirectly slammed countless hard-working, loving parents around the world.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:55 am

Rupert Everett is a self-loathing gay man who has recommended that gay actors never come out of the closet. He's not a great guy to go to when looking for healthy/good quotes.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 am

I think his quote is awful but otoh I do feel sorry for him because he does seem to have a lot of self-loathing, and his mother isn't helping him out any in that area either.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Agreed that his mother seems to be just horrible.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:33 pm

Lily Rose wrote:Rupert Everett is a self-loathing gay man who has recommended that gay actors never come out of the closet. He's not a great guy to go to when looking for healthy/good quotes.

That's what I thought, but I also routinely confuse him with at least two other men who aren't openly gay, so I wasn't sure I was thinking of the right person.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:17 am

He's the one who really effed up his face with plastic surgery, right?
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  chibimanda Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Yes! He looked downright frightening after his surgery. I'm not sure if it was because the work he had done was of poor quality, or if it was because it was soon after the surgery, so his face hadn't....settled.
chibimanda
chibimanda

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:05 pm

Since we don't have a "pseudo-celebrity insane quotes" thread, Tila Tequila has completely lost her shit.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next