Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Works of George R.R. Martin

+17
Cynara
naughty zoot
midnight radio
Gallifrey Girl
Lily Rose
curryalley
Red Wolf
ActonBell
bbridges
Unlucky Bear
blixie
queenofdenile
tothemax
ulkis
NewYorkStranger
laurelin_kit
BreezyK
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Works of George R.R. Martin - Page 2 Empty Re: The Works of George R.R. Martin

Post  tothemax Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:33 pm

[quote="ulkis"]
I wish they hadn't cast the guy so old in the show.
He's total eye candy, though, so it's all good.

ActonBell, I'm in the middle of AFFC having read the previous one right after the other, and I say take a break now. I wish I had done that before starting AFFC but now that I'm so far in, it seems silly to stop. I haven't bought ADOF yet, so I'll probably take a break before reading it.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

The Works of George R.R. Martin - Page 2 Empty Re: The Works of George R.R. Martin

Post  BreezyK Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Link to GRRM thread on SF 3.0

It is sad to read the beginning of that thread from like 2006 and see how many times people got SO PSYCHED for ADWD to come out, even though after everybody read it, it is AWESOME!

Spoiler:

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:49 pm

BreezyK I know what you mean. As much as I think that story is funny, I really don't think it's the truth.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:52 pm

BreezyK, re: your spoiler

Spoiler:

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Really? Then what is the point of that character's introduction?

Spoiler:

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:07 pm

I have no idea. :) A distraction? But it just seems way too convenient.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Really? Then what is the point of that character's introduction?

Heh, I will answer that in the newly created ASOIF (Spoilers) thread!

I think we people can still discuss the series here, as well as his other works, w/ hidden text as appropriate, that way folks mid-series can still have a safe place to talk about their individual novel thoughts.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:13 pm

I've finished AFFC and I am shocked at how much I disliked it. Like some, I started skipping large chunks because I just wanted the damn thing to be done already. And then, AND THEN, that stupid "epilogue" about the Wall and ADWD, OMG, I wanted to throw my Kindle at a wall. Another book filled with characters that I don't give two shits about who will likely die for no reason other than they can? I think I'll wait until the ADWD ebook is available for lending at the library.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Yes, that note at the end was just BEYOND! I can't even imagine reading that and then waiting for 6 years for him to come out with the next book!

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Another book filled with characters that I don't give two shits about who will likely die for no reason other than they can?

I think there were only two new characters in ADWD (well, including ones introduced in AFFC) . . . someone correct me if I'm wrong? And only one of them was a POV character. I liked ADWD, although again, I thought it was too long, but I think all of the books except the first one are too long so that's not a new problem for me.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:59 pm

BreezyK wrote:Yes, that note at the end was just BEYOND! I can't even imagine reading that and then waiting for 6 years for him to come out with the next book!
I KNOW!

I'll try to keep an open mind for ADWD, ulkis, but I think I need a break from the series so I'll just wait to get it from the library anyway. I thought ASOS was too long, but I was captivated with the story so I didn't mind. AFFC was a relative cakewalk, but I didn't think the story was compelling, mostly because of all the new characters, but most of their stories were dull.

Spoiler:

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:17 pm

You guys, I'm halfway through Storm of Swords and I want to throw myself off the nearest bridge.

Spoiler:

Someone hold me.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:24 pm

curryalley wrote:You guys, I'm halfway through Storm of Swords and I want to throw myself off the nearest bridge.

Spoiler:

Someone hold me.
Oh honey. I know. We've all been there.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:43 am

Strangely, I was fairly calm about it the first time. The second time, though. Even though I knew it was coming, it was traumatic as hell. Oh, can you imagine the reaction of the internet if that ever makes it to the screen? Quite a few forums will melt down. Screams of anguish will be heard around the world. Twitter will explode.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:30 am

[hugs curryalley]

Let the record be shown that I am a huge, huge fan of Joss Whedon and J.K. Rowling. Yet, whenever fans talk about how MEAN they are re: character deaths and tragedy...after reading Martin's books, I just want to laugh. Whedon and Rowling are innocent little penguins compared to GRRM.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:10 am

That just makes me think of this!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:21 am

GRRM, indeed.

Spoiler:

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:41 pm

curryalley wrote:You guys, I'm halfway through Storm of Swords and I want to throw myself off the nearest bridge.

Spoiler:

Someone hold me.
OMG, this is why I had to pause after reading AFFC: I just could not handle everyone dying. Oh, sure, it's more "realistic", but I want my happy ending, dagnabbit.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  midnight radio Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Red Wolf wrote:Strangely, I was fairly calm about it the first time. The second time, though. Even though I knew it was coming, it was traumatic as hell. Oh, can you imagine the reaction of the internet if that ever makes it to the screen? Quite a few forums will melt down. Screams of anguish will be heard around the world. Twitter will explode.

I wasn't exactly calm about it the first time, but the second time is worse. You can just feel the tension tightening, winding up like a spring through the whole scene, and I had a hard time reading it without skimming because I just wanted to know what was going to happen. And then it happened, and augh. The second time was worse because I already knew exactly what was coming, and that it was horrible.

midnight radio

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:16 pm

So I broke down and started ADWD and I'm about a quarter of the way through. So far, the plotting seems slow, but I don't mind it as much since there are characters I actually care about, as opposed to the damned Ironborn (yes, I'm still bitter).

Spoiler:

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: your spoiler - I KNOW! and so heartbreaking.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Seriously, I thought it was bad partway through the second book when
Spoiler:

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Re your ACOK spoiler, Cynara:

Spoiler:

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Halfway through AFfC. Kinda bored. Especially since
Spoiler:

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 pm

There's no Jon or Tyrion or Dany in AFFC - they come back in ADWD. I think AFFC is great, though. I love everyone in Dorne and all of Cersei's chapters and Brienne's quixotic adventures. It's just a bit of an adjustment coming off the heels of ASOS, which is like a crazy rollercoaster.
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next