Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice Columns

+90
mandalaya
Agent_Squeaks
naughty zoot
salamandersam
Coneycat
katesti
Jordan Baker
Red Wolf
draco vulgaris
Snarryfan
Gallifrey Girl
Carrie Ann
Author By Night
snorf
nazlan
SelfAmused
Cynara
epudom
choubetcha
vwlphb
chibimanda
Gillian
xyzzy
blixie
laddical
maxell131313
Disclaimer
Jamie
PrincessCleo
pinguerin
Cutebutpsycho
Tabby
Never Enough
lisa
Ji Xiang
eventide82
jstilwe
mialoubug
Decca
Raised by wolves
Morning Angel
tothemax
laurelin_kit
dinahmoe
QueenSix
BreezyK
ActonBell
bluebird
year of the cat
dreago
Matinee
Pop'n'Fresh
particle_person
Kiran
Jessica
Shadowlass
mrinsouciance
LadyGayle
mo pie
Putli Bai
Crackie
bookworm
inversed
Crowbridge
MLIS
mokey75
Rhilin
Raksha
blooey
mayram
Instant Monkeys
Shalamar
Algae
biakbiak
Jasmine
Sheli
Lily Rose
The Lady of Shalott
punkysdilemma
Binky
oxymoron
Eris Rising
Poubelle
Gilraen
Genevieve
Miss Moneypenny
VodouDoll
The Glen
Unlucky Bear
punzy
94 posters

Page 1 of 37 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next

Go down

Advice Columns Empty Advice Columns

Post  punzy Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:30 pm

Prudie's first letter is all about how giving a baby up for adoption is selfish and not "seeing it through". I wanted to smack the woman.

(I'd post a link but it won't let me yet)

punzy

Back to top Go down

Advice Columns Empty Re: Advice Columns

Post  Unlucky Bear Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:33 pm

DAMN IT. I was beaten to the punch by about 30 seconds for restarting my favorite thread with that exact same Prudie column. Well played, madam.

But yes, that column was insane. I don't understand Judgey Sister one bit....she thinks her sister is irresponsible for giving her kid up for adoption because she thinks the family can pitch in and raise it? But also thinks her sister is a hoor who should be punished by raising the kid herself? Frankly that kid is way better off with a loving adoptive family.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:03 pm

She didn't seem to realise that she had no say in her sister's decision whatsoever. It's one thing if she had her own opinion on what she would do in that situation, but she thought she had a right to impose it on her sister. Weird.

The link thing is awkward, but I'm not sure we can change it. In any case, it's a good anti-spammer device, so it has its uses.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:DAMN IT. I was beaten to the punch by about 30 seconds for restarting my favorite thread with that exact same Prudie column. Well played, madam.

Mwahahahaha!

But she is willing to babysit while her sister is in classes! That makes it so much easier to be a parent at 21!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:08 am

Why don't people get that babies shouldn't ever be punishments? That's the impression I got from the LW, that she thinks her sister has been irresponsible and now it's more important for her to be punished than it is for the baby to have a good life with parents who want it and are prepared.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:39 pm

What an awful idea, to use an infant as a punishment. It sounds like she doesn't particularly care about her sister's life or the baby's life, which is pretty crappy considering they're her FAMILY. Imagine how she treats non-blood relatives!
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:24 pm

This sister sounds absolutely bat-shit. It is amazing how she fails to see what an incredibly difficult and loving decision her sister is making. I am so glad Prudie gave her what for.
It's shitty enough that you are in a less than ideal situation and you are going to do something very brave but to add in a family member who is telling you that you are making the wrong choice and you are being selfish for it? Sweet Mary.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:33 pm

That letter made me so angry last week I kept clicking over to Snarkfest to see if it was up and I could post it. Ugh, the idea that this young woman is making this very brave decision that will ultimately help someone else form their family and is getting lambasted for it by her sister. Awful.

The sister does seem to have some out-of-the ordinary issues, though. I wonder if she got pregnant unexpectedly and has felt trapped ever since.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:21 pm

I just do NOT get what is entitled about giving up your baby for adoption. Going through pregnancy and labor and then giving the kid away? That's not the easy way out. (Actually, I'm not sure there is an easy way out of an unplanned pregnancy, except finding out your test result was wrong.) The older sister might not understand the choice, but it's not her life.

Also, "she got herself into this mess"? YOU MENTION THE FATHER AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR LETTER, DUMBASS. Anyone who says something like that about a woman who is unexpectedly pregnant should be forced to take remedial sex ed classes where they learn it takes two to tango and no form of birth control outside of abstinence (and gay sex, I suppose) is 100% effective. Yes, perfectly-used condoms are 98% effective. Maybe the sister was just part of the unlucky 2%.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:28 pm

I know! Like, no wonder your sister's giving your kid up for adoption. She's gotta keep it away from nutbags like the LW.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:53 pm

Links are working. Could someone link it?
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:49 am

Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:51 am

Good Lord, babies are not punishments. they should not be looked at this way.

I mean, m sister kept her baby when she was 19, but she had a supportive not insane (well, about THIS anyway) family. And none of us looked at the baby as some sort of retribution.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:24 am

After reading that, I'm not sure that I'd want to leave a child of mine with that sister. What sort of values would it learn? Adoption seems the right choice.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Ah yes, the "My sister should have to keep her baby. That'll teach her." logic. Sister sounds a lot more responsible and reasonable than the LW. With family 'supporting' her like that, poor sister.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Um, meow?

Not sure what side of the bed Amy got up on, but I sure didn't think of her as someone who could be this slappy towards someone on public assistance.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Wow, that was shitty. The LW worded that sentence badly, but still. That was totally not a helpful answer. And the little dig about having kids while on welfare at the end was a nice touch.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:00 pm

So, the question is basically "Why won't my fiance help me with the kids, and how can I change things?" and Amy's answer is "A correction: You are not supporting your kids. A lot of people are. By accepting public assistance, you are accepting the public's collective investment in you." Really? REALLY? And she counsels to see a social worker, and break up with him if he can't get it together? Sheesh, what happened to "try having a serious talk with him and then try couples' therapy?"
The Lady of Shalott
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Dear Prudie: Is it OK to turn away children I don't think live in my neighborhood on Halloween? I'm curious as to how she was going to weed out the neighbor kids from the others.

Stingy Trick-or-Treater
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:16 pm

Man, the letter about the woman who fantasizes about finding her adopted sister's birth mother is really weird. I just do not even know what to think about that.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Regarding the stingy trick or treater, I couldn't understand how that situation was such a big problem! If it annoys you so much lady, give kids knocking at your door, less candy so there is enough to go round! Resolved!

The sister obsessed with her sister's birth mother is strange. That's a lady who needs to find something to do, like meaningful volunteering, so she can stop obsessing over her sister's life. Who knows what goes on inside people's minds right?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:13 pm

I'm just glad the advice was for the woman to back off and consider her own mother as her sister's mother. Not advocating ignoring the role birth parents play in adopted children's lives, but if your own sister isn't interested in finding them? If I was the sister or the mom of the letter writer, that would really hurt me.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:58 pm

From Prudie's chat today:
EATING MY CUPCAKES
Hi Prudie, Yesterday I got a gift of a dozen large cupcakes. I ate one and brought one down to my boyfriend. I left the others in a kitchen that I share with two roommates, with a sign on them that said "Eat me." I was gone from 10PM last night to 9AM this morning, and when I returned all the cupcakes were gone. I think my (generally inconsiderate) roommate must have had people over and they ate all my cupcakes. I'm pretty annoyed but my boyfriend says that it's my own fault because I put the sign on them. I was really happy to share with my roommates but was definitely not expecting that in doing so all the cupcakes would be gone in less than 12 hours. Am I off base?

A.
EMILY YOFFE :
Hey, Alice in Wonderland, I assume you know that generally people follow instructions when there is something yummy with a sign on it that says "Eat Me." And for all you kids anticipating taking the SATs, here's an example of someone who wanted to have her cupcakes while letting her friends eat them, too. Your boyfriend is a wise man, and you're off base.

She left a sign saying "Eat Me" and then is mad that they all got eaten? I do not even understand.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Her roommate failed to read the real meaning of the sign, which exists in her head! OMGWTFBBQ
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:14 pm

If I came home and saw cupcakes with a sign that said Eat Me, I would assume I was doing a favor by eating them!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 37 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next