Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

+75
Crowbridge
mokey75
oxymoron
Amy Pond
punzy
mayram
Snarryfan
Shadowlass
Morning Angel
whatthedeuce
Rhilin
punkysdilemma
winncienzo
mrmoo
laddical
Raksha
particle_person
katha
inversed
siboney
LadyGayle
Arabella
dionneshea
maxell131313
blooey
sobe
Carrie Ann
Jordan Baker
Red Wolf
mandalaya
Putli Bai
Poubelle
The Glen
Cutebutpsycho
Never Enough
big chicken
MLIS
TiffanyNichelle
bbridges
VodouDoll
bookworm
Tabby
dinahmoe
katesti
Count_Bloodcount
QueenSix
lisalars
philophobe
sagitare
Gillian
mialoubug
Matinee
year of the cat
Heather
Pop'n'Fresh
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
Unlucky Bear
Lily Rose
sweetle
PrincessCleo
19uses
Jessica
Eris Rising
bosoxgirl
puddingcup
killershrew
Miss Moneypenny
Jude
Kiran
ActonBell
BreezyK
Esme
swsa
blixie
79 posters

Page 1 of 38 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 38  Next

Go down

Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns Empty Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  blixie Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Okay someone wanted to bitch about Lainey Liu, and her site Lainey Gossip, which I endorse fully. I mean she frequently dishes good dirt, but she just as frequently sounds like a shrill hypocritical asshole.

I'll never forget a comment from alt.gossip newsgroup that I hold more dear than anything: Gossip isn't meant to be proven true or false, it's meant to be ENJOYED. Here here.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns Empty Re: Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  swsa Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:49 pm

I almost reflexively hate anyone she comes up with a nickname for. "Jakey", "My Gwynnie", "Hot Harry", just stop. My favorite thing recently is how blatant and over the top her 180 on Blake Lively has been. It just seems so unforced and genuine!

In other gossip columnist news, I now fully believe that Ted C. has ZERO sources outside of reality tv.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns Empty Re: Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  Esme Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:57 pm

If I hear Lainey say "How does she DO that?" about Blake Lively, I will cut a bitch. Leo Dicaprio dates the girl for few months and she acts like Blake is some gossip goddess when she was just another young blonde in Leo's parade of girlfriends.

Ted C. still works for E!? I gave him up like 5 years ago when I realized that more than half the time, I couldn't decipher his "language".

He can be over the top sometimes but Michael K at Dlisted still can get a good chuckle out of me.

Esme

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Oh the fall of Ted C hurts my gossip whore heart. He will spend the rest of his life trying to get Claire Standish to just ADMIT IT.

I also miss The Cyber Sleaze, it appears Jill "The Diva" Stemple went legit in a working for the paps way. She was my go to when Gwynnie/Noni were besties, the Diva HATED Noni, but I still managed to enjoy her because she pretty much hated all of the stars equally and thus dished it hard core. Her column was mostly editorial rather than info/source heavy but I still dug it.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:04 pm

I find Lainey's stuff fascinating for how she talks about the business behind it all. Like this recent post about Jessica Alba. It seems that most of her posts are about WHY gossip exists, who's using it and who's doing it well. That's what I've taken away from the Blake Lively posts- that this girl worked the gossip circuit for all it's worth and Lainey is grudgingly respectful of that.

Another blog that is looking at this (albeit much less frequently) is Celebrity Gossip, Academic Style. You've all read Scandals of Classic Hollywood, right? This woman is the author of those. I really like her perspective and sort of wish I could get a Ph.D. in gossip.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Thank you for starting this thread, blixie! I have needed to vent.

There are so many things that annoy me about Lainey, but here's one thing for starters...yesterday she had this post about how she could never love Sherlock because it lacked "strong female characters" and I just snapped. Lainey, don't front like you're a feminist when you live to shit all over the looks and reproductive choices of other women. I get a strong misogynist vibe from a lot of the gossip blogs (with Perez being the obvious worst, I stopped reading him a loooong time ago), but Lainey is very misogynist and it's more galling to me coming from a female.

She is such an annoying hypocrite, but her gossip is often good so I can't give up on reading her just yet.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Esme Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:12 pm

One thing I will give Lainey her due is that she worked her way from bottom to actually getting a real job in entertainment reporting. I remember the days when her site was still new and she was joining fan message boards in hopes of getting any dirt.

Those who love gossip, I highly recommend Dish by Jeannette Walls. It's a really fun read about history of gossip from the old Hollywood days to early days of internet.

Esme

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:28 pm

hat this girl worked the gossip circuit for all it's worth and Lainey is grudgingly respectful of that.

Well that's just it though, that presupposes Lainey isn't totally 100% a part of the "business behind it all". I think she loves to trade on the notion she is different and not serving the same masters People Magazine and US do, which no. She's just as guilty of kissing ass to get information as anyone else in show business. What I'm saying is IMO Lively and her people are the source of Lainey's pieces about how Blake Lively DID that.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:50 pm

When I started to feel something was up was when Lainey was in Cannes and reporting first hand that despite the pics with Blake, Leo was partying it up HARD, and very openly modelizing his way through the week. Then suddenly her columns were all about how Blake had him totally ensnared, he'd never been so captivated, this was the real deal. And then she even failed to report on him very openly getting caught out at 2 am with a girl who pretty much fit his usual type exactly. The distinct stench of PR intervention was everywhere. And her columns started to read pretty much exactly like People's "Blake bakes for Leo!" articles.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:09 pm

I think someone here nailed my hatred of her. The hypocrisy. She does claim to be extremely feminist but a lot of her articles always strike the opposite note to me.

I will say I keep reading her because she does get scoop, but her writing has become extremely indulgent. I also hate whenever she says "Are we fighting?". We get it Lainey. You are above the peons and the minivan majority. I also don't know why she hates fanfic since 90% of the time her articles devolve into fanfic. I mean this is the same woman who up until recently used to write Colin Farrell letters and publish them on her site.

The majority of my disdain for her comes from living in Canada. Shes on ETalk here all the time. And let me tell you, she turns into a kissass the minute she actually meets a celeb.

My favorite is now and forever Michael K. He hates everyone pretty much, but its not as mean spirited, hes hilarious, and he doesn't take himself as seriously as Lainey.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:48 pm

My problem with Lainey (besides the hypocrisy) is that she'll suddenly seem to take a virulent dislike of celebrities for no particular reason, and then she'll attack them for their physical traits, their clothes, or whatever petty thing she can find about them. All very meanspirited. And the fact that she has no comments allowed on her blogs sort of pisses me off as well. Friggin' coward.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

ActonBell wrote: Lainey, don't front like you're a feminist when you live to shit all over the looks and reproductive choices of other women. I get a strong misogynist vibe from a lot of the gossip blogs (with Perez being the obvious worst, I stopped reading him a loooong time ago), but Lainey is very misogynist and it's more galling to me coming from a female.

She is such an annoying hypocrite, but her gossip is often good so I can't give up on reading her just yet.

You know the worst part is that while you're 100% right about her being misogynist, she's often the least bad out of all the gossip sites. Like, she occasionally goes an entire day without calling a woman fat/ugly/anorexic, which is more than I can say for pretty much every other column on the web. Come on people, I want to know about the shady back room shit, not hear your opinions on someone's bikini body.

I find Lainey's weird reasons for loving/hating the famous infuriating usually, but sometimes it's something so ridiculous (like Michael Fassbender wearing his pants too tight!) that I have to laugh.

Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:You know the worst part is that while you're 100% right about her being misogynist, she's often the least bad out of all the gossip sites. Like, she occasionally goes an entire day without calling a woman fat/ugly/anorexic, which is more than I can say for pretty much every other column on the web.

Oh, completely. There are a lot of gossip sites I can't read for that reason. Michael K at Dlisted isn't perfect, but IMO he's one of the better ones on that front. (Having said that, I'm sure I've missed some really horrible post of his that completely negates my endorsement.)
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:42 am

Yay! New topic. Thanks for some of the links above, I haven't heard of a few, but will check them out.

I agree with these Lainey comments, but the gossip, and sometimes analysis is too good, so I keep reading. My issue with her is that she seems like such a Mean Girl, worshiping those above her on the social status ladder in her head (Gwyn), and sneering at the nerds and "losers" in the celebrity-verse. I was a nerd in school, so some of her sneering seems to point too much in my direction (projection? maybe).

I found her criticism of Sherlock baffling (it is sooo good), until I realized it's not the lack of female characters she has an issue with, but the high nerd quotient. I like her best when she DOES get in touch with her inner nerd (Harry Potter).

I do like that she has live chats, and that she provides hints to her blinds.

I've been enjoying Celebitchy, which I only found through Lainey's site. One thing I appreciate is they start posting very early in the day, so I'll read before I start work.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:36 am

I am off and on about celebitchy. Sometimes shes fun, other times I have the same issues I have with Lainey. one time she went off on a rant about how Kirsten Dunst was an uppity bitch for not sleeping with Gerard Butler when he hit on her.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:03 pm

I ALSO wish Lainey had comments, but I know it's a really delicate line to walk, especially on gossip sites. The only one that I think does it well is GFY, and I remember a recent post on Kate Middleton (of all people!, given her fairly bland and classic style), where they put a warning on it that people tend to get nasty.

I think if Lainey were vigilant, she could have a good comment section, but maybe she just doesn't want to put the effort in.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:18 pm

I am off and on about celebitchy. Sometimes shes fun, other times I have the same issues I have with Lainey. one time she went off on a rant about how Kirsten Dunst was an uppity bitch for not sleeping with Gerard Butler when he hit on her.

This made me laugh. I must have missed this because I skip all of Celebitchy's Gerard Butler posts. It's funny how Lainey and Celebitchy's opinions on GB are so different. I'm siding with Lainey on this one. I also don't see what the big deal is about Fassbender and Celebitchy is so nuts about him.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  bosoxgirl Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:49 pm

I go back and forth on Celebitchy too. I can really only read it occasionally because I find it overwhelmingly misogynist at times. And their hatred of certain women in particular, like the Duchess of Cambridge and Jennifer Aniston, can be just so over the top. There was an entry on the Duchess a couple of weeks ago that called her childish for telling kids that her favorite book was Anne of Green Gables. First of all, Anne of Green Gables is awesome, so fuck right off with that. And secondly, she was asked by children what her favorite book is -- what is she supposed to say?

bosoxgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:04 pm

bosoxgirl wrote:I go back and forth on Celebitchy too. I can really only read it occasionally because I find it overwhelmingly misogynist at times. And their hatred of certain women in particular, like the Duchess of Cambridge and Jennifer Aniston, can be just so over the top. There was an entry on the Duchess a couple of weeks ago that called her childish for telling kids that her favorite book was Anne of Green Gables. First of all, Anne of Green Gables is awesome, so fuck right off with that. And secondly, she was asked by children what her favorite book is -- what is she supposed to say?

"Young ladies, you must read this lovely fable entitled 'The Story Of O'".
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Lainey mocks people who read and write fan fiction, and then posts this? Really?
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:15 pm

First of all, Anne of Green Gables is awesome, so fuck right off with that. And secondly, she was asked by children what her favorite book is -- what is she supposed to say?

Duh, Fifty Shades of Grey!

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:15 pm

That is also the creepiest type of fanfic. About real people. Real people who are CHILDREN. I am just saying, glass houses.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:34 pm

I actually don't think it's any creepier (especially since I think all gossip IS RPF), but the point is the same you can't bust on fan fic when you are clearly really INTO writing it all the time.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:46 am

the only one that I think does it well is GFY, and I remember a recent post on Kate Middleton (of all people!, given her fairly bland and classic style), where they put a warning on it that people tend to get nasty.

Thank you. I think we have it easier because we're not really reporting GOSSIP as much as just talking about people's pants. There are fewer doors open. That, and our readership is really great. But moderating comments is very tough, especially if you don't have someone dedicated to doing it (I wish we did; we don't, but luckily, as I said, Fug Nation is awesome). I wouldn't have comments open if I were Lainey either.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  19uses Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:18 pm

I go back and forth on Celebitchy too. I can really only read it occasionally because I find it overwhelmingly misogynist at times.

I've been reading Celebitchy for about two years and as the site has gotten more popular, I feel like the humor has lessened and the misogyny has increased. My main issue is with Kaiser -I've notice the most hateful posts towards women are usually by her, and she's also the one lusting after Michael Fassbender. I admit I'm not a fan of Kate Middleton -I think she's a Stepford throwback and wildly overrated- but Kaiser seems so desperate to criticize Kate that it's not fun to read in a schedenfreude kind of way. Instead it just comes across as meangirl bullying. If the point of her Kate posts is to make me think Kaiser has emotional issues, well, good work.

19uses

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 38 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 38  Next