Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celebrities: Having Babies, Naming Babies

+118
Heather
mayram
SelfAmused
Pop'n'Fresh
year of the cat
katbeth
xyzzy
nazlan
particle_person
allochthonous
LadyGayle
Coneycat
Gilraen
Tabby
gannetguts
rat kitten
Fraoch
queenofdenile
Algae
Escape
Red Wolf
Swarley
choubetcha
jstilwe
ariadne
bbridges
Cynara
epudom
Matinee
mialoubug
mandalaya
schwa
Never Enough
GoodbyeWithWords
puddingcup
Corvus
Agent Sculder
UmaOprah
Luthien
dinahmoe
Renny Sue
rivki8699
chibimanda
Gillian
PrincessCleo
grayel
eco
sen3
Brainchild
Raksha
tothemax
oxymoron
Eris Rising
QueenSix
sobe
mokey75
demgirl
jcpdiesel21
dionneshea
Lindsay Weir
Cutebutpsycho
lisa
big chicken
Decca
Jude
Miss Moneypenny
naughty zoot
MtOlivePickles
ActonBell
RubyTuesday
MichiSichi
Esseilte
Lis
jaraga
BrightEyes
Grainne Mhaol
The Lady of Shalott
Bob Genghis Khan
Morning Angel
Crowbridge
Poubelle
Sheli
blixie
emrie
maxell131313
nikita
katesti
MLIS
The Glen
punkysdilemma
swsa
Lily Rose
caltrask55
sagitare
Unlucky Bear
laddical
Ceci
narfzz
bookworm
Raised by wolves
TiffanyNichelle
blooey
Genevieve
Carrie Ann
slmader
BreezyK
Melk
Kiran
Jasmine
Jessica
biakbiak
Instant Monkeys
Binky
whatthedeuce
Auroura76
Putli Bai
eventide82
Arabella
122 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Celebrities: Having Babies, Naming Babies - Page 19 Empty Re: Celebrities: Having Babies, Naming Babies

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:57 am

Yeah, who the fuck would guess that you'd have to pronounce the dash? That's just stupid, quite frankly.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Celebrities: Having Babies, Naming Babies - Page 19 Empty Re: Celebrities: Having Babies, Naming Babies

Post  caltrask55 Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:25 am

I have always had a soft spot for Rob Schneider (don't ask why - I don't know). He and his wife just had a baby girl named Miranda Scarlett. Love it!

caltrask55

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:02 am

I met someone once who named her kid Ampersand. She didn't know that was the name of a punctuation mark.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:47 am

caltrask55 wrote:I have always had a soft spot for Rob Schneider (don't ask why - I don't know). He and his wife just had a baby girl named Miranda Scarlett. Love it!
If Rob Schneider can manage it, why can't the rest of them? Alternately, he realised she's already saddled for life by being related to him, and decided not to make her life any harder.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:02 am

whatthedeuce wrote:True. I've heard of someone named Honey Bee and another person named Napoleon.

Napoleon is a legitimate French/Italian name though. Used to be a fairly popular one at that.

I've heard the La-a story many times before, but it might be an urban legend.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:22 am

For me, no name is ever going to top a bride-to-be on Say Yes to the Dress named Duvae (pronounced like "Duvet") who was so named because she "brought comfort" to her mother.

Katesti spent that whole episode going DUVEEEEET at me. Neither of us has ever recovered.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:37 am

I've heard the Ladasha story many a time also, and I fear that it is an urban legend. Same with Lemonjello and Oranjello and variants.

There are plenty of ridiculous ones though. I think the Jayden/"Jaydien" rant is my favorite in that article.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:47 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:I've heard the Ladasha story many a time also, and I fear that it is an urban legend. Same with Lemonjello and Oranjello and variants.

There are plenty of ridiculous ones though. I think the Jayden/"Jaydien" rant is my favorite in that article.

Aw, I met a girl named Lux (only one x) and her mother was lovely and in no way seemed to have doomed her child to future pole dancing. IDK, I've said many times that terrible names don't actually doom children to terrible futures as much as we like to think they do. I grew up with many insanely named kids and they're all doing fine.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:49 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:I've heard the Ladasha story many a time also, and I fear that it is an urban legend. Same with Lemonjello and Oranjello and variants.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those are all a myth at this point. Those stories usually pop up with a "my mother's friend's cousin is a teacher" attached, heh.

I remember Duvae! Oh my god, that was terrrrrrible.

A woman I used to work with once wanted to set me up with an Adolf. I couldn't believe people were still actually using that name.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 am

I really like the name Lux though my reference point of The Virgin Suicides and Lux Lisbon, probably isn't a much better harbinger to bequeath a child.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:13 pm

I like Lux. Nyx is a cool name, too.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 pm

I went to high school with a Candace (Candy) Cane and a Summer Knight... for real.

Really what I'm seeing a lot of now is people spelling the kid's name funky so they're "different". A girl I went to college with just had a daughter she named Kinzlee. That poor kid is going to be straddled with that z and double e forever.
Escape
Escape

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Poppy Cox. Seriously.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:07 pm

I didn't know that about the name Napoleon so thank you, Morning Angel. It just sounds really odd in this day and age, especially on a Filipino kid (someone I knew in high school). Then again, my people do tend to come up with some really ridiculous names, so Napoleon is way better than the aforementioned Honey or say, Harrie Ann. Why someone named a girl that is beyond me.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:14 pm

mokey75 wrote:A woman I used to work with once wanted to set me up with an Adolf. I couldn't believe people were still actually using that name.
OK, my first thought was "WHAT?" and then "Well, maybe he's German." Followed by, "Wait, that's EVEN WORSE!!"

In conclusion, "Adolf" is done as a name for at least 200 more years. Sorry, Adolf.

I don't mind unusual names and I actually kinda like Lux. I don't like Luxx though. Generally I am not in favor of adding random letters/spelling the name weirdly because you can. True spelling variants are fine and make our lives more interesting, but my feeling is generally that -- even if you're doing it on purpose and in fact know how to spell -- you should generally avoid names that make it LOOK as if you don't know how to spell. Then again, I am kind of a purist and I'd take Michaela over Mikayla, Makayla, and (sorry disapproving gymnast girl, you seem nice) McKayla for heaven's sake. (SON OF KAYLA IS NOT A NAME) This is because I am a spelling and language nerd and I realize not everyone shares my neuroses, heh. A couple centuries ago I'd probably be complaining that Jeffrey was a bastardization of Geoffrey.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Yeah, Adolf should definitely be off the books for a few centuries.

I think Lux is very pretty, too. I love the look of a single X in a name. More than one at the end just looks ridiculous though.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:33 pm

I like Lux too.

I have actually met an Oranjello and a Lemonjello. They were twins and from Nigeria.

My people have awful names too. Like Honey, and Baby and Dimple. I always tell people that everyone should have known my mother was going to end up being a deadbeat because my dad had to intervene and stop her from naming me Pinky Twinkle.

Yep.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:36 pm

My older sister was almost named Tippy after the neighbor's dog (this was the early 70s). She lucked out by being named after the street my grandmother lived on (and still does to this day!).
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 pm

I have friends and family nicknamed Baby and Dimple, Kiran, and they tend to get called those names so much that I sometimes forget what their real names are!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:56 pm

I knew a girl named Honey when I was in High School. She said it was really tough for her parents to yell at her. :)
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:57 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I didn't know that about the name Napoleon so thank you, Morning Angel. It just sounds really odd in this day and age, especially on a Filipino kid (someone I knew in high school). Then again, my people do tend to come up with some really ridiculous names, so Napoleon is way better than the aforementioned Honey or say, Harrie Ann. Why someone named a girl that is beyond me.

I totally agree that it would stand out now especially for a Filipino kid! lol

The only reason I was mentioning it is that I grew up in Quebec, and our political history has quite a number of men named Napoleon or with names like Joseph-Napoleon or Louis-Napoleon. It was a pretty popular name among French speakers in the late 19th-early 20th century so it definitely doesn't sound strange to me though I can't say I'd pick it for my kid!

As a teacher, I have little patience for creative spelling. It makes it hard to know how to pronounce certain names. At least, I'm not working with little ones like my mom who is a 1st grade teacher, needing to teach them how to write their names.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:06 pm

I see all sorts of unique spellings on the rosters at my school. Examples: Rhyame (Rah-heem), Quitien (Quentin), and Diqwuine (Di-Kwayne). There's one young lady named Trinity, a name I've never heard on another person in real life before, so I think her parents may have gotten it from The Matrix, but I'm not sure. It's very pretty either way.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:
mokey75 wrote:A woman I used to work with once wanted to set me up with an Adolf. I couldn't believe people were still actually using that name.
OK, my first thought was "WHAT?" and then "Well, maybe he's German." Followed by, "Wait, that's EVEN WORSE!!"

In conclusion, "Adolf" is done as a name for at least 200 more years. Sorry, Adolf.

True story: My boyfriend has a son from a previous marriage and when he was born the ex-wife tried to name him Adolf. The reasoning was, Adolf means "Noble" in German and his last name translates to "King" in German. So, she argued, it was so his full name would translate to "Noble King." *smacks forehead* Yes, when someone sees the name Adolf, THAT is what they think of!

My bf told me he absolutely refused to name his son Adolf and it was a huge fight over it.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Key and Peele did a hilarious take on the creative black-people sports figure names: East/West College Bowl

L'Carpetron Dookmariott!

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:00 pm

sen3 wrote:Key and Peele did a hilarious take on the creative black-people sports figure names: East/West College Bowl

L'Carpetron Dookmariott!

God I love that sketch. It just gets funnier and funnier. "Beezer Twelve Washingbeard."
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next