Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celebrities: Having Babies, Naming Babies

+118
Heather
mayram
SelfAmused
Pop'n'Fresh
year of the cat
katbeth
xyzzy
nazlan
particle_person
allochthonous
LadyGayle
Coneycat
Gilraen
Tabby
gannetguts
rat kitten
Fraoch
queenofdenile
Algae
Escape
Red Wolf
Swarley
choubetcha
jstilwe
ariadne
bbridges
Cynara
epudom
Matinee
mialoubug
mandalaya
schwa
Never Enough
GoodbyeWithWords
puddingcup
Corvus
Agent Sculder
UmaOprah
Luthien
dinahmoe
Renny Sue
rivki8699
chibimanda
Gillian
PrincessCleo
grayel
eco
sen3
Brainchild
Raksha
tothemax
oxymoron
Eris Rising
QueenSix
sobe
mokey75
demgirl
jcpdiesel21
dionneshea
Lindsay Weir
Cutebutpsycho
lisa
big chicken
Decca
Jude
Miss Moneypenny
naughty zoot
MtOlivePickles
ActonBell
RubyTuesday
MichiSichi
Esseilte
Lis
jaraga
BrightEyes
Grainne Mhaol
The Lady of Shalott
Bob Genghis Khan
Morning Angel
Crowbridge
Poubelle
Sheli
blixie
emrie
maxell131313
nikita
katesti
MLIS
The Glen
punkysdilemma
swsa
Lily Rose
caltrask55
sagitare
Unlucky Bear
laddical
Ceci
narfzz
bookworm
Raised by wolves
TiffanyNichelle
blooey
Genevieve
Carrie Ann
slmader
BreezyK
Melk
Kiran
Jasmine
Jessica
biakbiak
Instant Monkeys
Binky
whatthedeuce
Auroura76
Putli Bai
eventide82
Arabella
122 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Celebrities: Having Babies, Naming Babies - Page 21 Empty Re: Celebrities: Having Babies, Naming Babies

Post  rat kitten Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:33 pm

I have a second cousin named Thor. Thor Che (last name). It was the late 60s-early 70s in Vancouver, for what it's worth.

rat kitten

Back to top Go down

Celebrities: Having Babies, Naming Babies - Page 21 Empty Re: Celebrities: Having Babies, Naming Babies

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Fraoch wrote:A kid in my son's preschool class is named Icarus Yeti. And then his parents recently had a baby they named Aesop. The last name wasn't slightly wonky enough on its own?

I just hope that kid doesn't become a pilot.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Cutebutpsycho wrote:
Fraoch wrote:A kid in my son's preschool class is named Icarus Yeti. And then his parents recently had a baby they named Aesop. The last name wasn't slightly wonky enough on its own?

I just hope that kid doesn't become a pilot.
Agreed. My first thought was, "I am NOT getting on a plane with that dude."
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  jaraga Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 pm

There was a reminder at my church listing the names of children yet register for next year's Sunday school. The name that stood out was Atheistan.

jaraga

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:11 am

At first I thought it was Anglo-Saxon, and thought it was nice. Then I looked again. Someone is clearly taking the piss.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:32 am

I cackled at that.

I used to make baby formulas for my job and I saw a lot of names. Renesmee was very popular and I really hoped it was teen moms. There was one set of twins named Sean and Shawn. And my favorite. Herbal Essences.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 am

mokey75 wrote:
Miss Moneypenny wrote:
That's funny, because I had a coworker whose kids were named Finn and Una. I also grew up with sisters named Sage and Ivy.

A friend from college named her youngest son Finn several years ago. Her other two kids are Maeve and Liam. (So yeah, they're a bit Irish.)

I went to school with sisters named Ginger and Cinnamon. I never understood that.

There was a girl my freshman year in college named Cinnamon too.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:14 am

One of my friend's named her child Zorran. I've never heard it before and never heard it since, so I presume she made it up. It suits the kid, though! Once, my best friend and I (another "odd" name -- Lynell, again, never heard of it before), were at a restaurant and the waiter's name was Thor. He was even tall, blonde and muscly. I couldn't stop giggling.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:41 am

Crowbridge wrote:I like Lux. Nyx is a cool name, too.

I have a friend who has a grandchild named Eris. I like the name, but I can't help but imagine Chaos whenever I think of it!

I went to school with a girl named Asdawn, seemed weird until graduation and her full name was announced as Asdawn Risesoverthemountains Wiley.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:52 am

bookworm wrote:I went to school with a girl named Asdawn, seemed weird until graduation and her full name was announced as Asdawn Risesoverthemountains Jones.
That is the goddamn coolest and most ridiculous name in the history of ever. Ladies and gentlemen, I think we finally have a winner.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:52 am

I don't bat an eye at Thor, but living in Minnesota will do that to you.

A professor I work with is named Theoden (sadly, he uses a nickname). When I first met him in person, I confirmed that his parents were, in fact, Tolkien fans. And an Arwen used to sing in my church choir.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 am

I used to work with an Aragorn. Nice guy.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 pm

I've mentioned this before, I think, but an acquaintance named her son "Fjord." At least Thor is really a Scandinavian name!

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:53 pm

I had a friend who wanted to name her son Shandar because she liked the sound of it and it means magnificient in Urdu and her mother strongly objected. The mom was all "Just because it sounds good in English doesn't mean it's a name! Why not just name him the Urdu word for table?"

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:44 pm

After years on the various incarnations of this board, I don't know how I can still dare to be surprised by the news that people name their kids after LOTR characters. It should really just go in one ear and out the other at this point.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:13 pm

big chicken wrote:I had a friend who wanted to name her son Shandar because she liked the sound of it and it means magnificient in Urdu and her mother strongly objected. The mom was all "Just because it sounds good in English doesn't mean it's a name! Why not just name him the Urdu word for table?"

And this comment just led me off to look up a Disney movie I saw as a kid: Chandar, the Black Leopard of Ceylon. I remembered the spelling wrong, so it turns out not to be the same name. Bummer.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:47 pm

It is actually a very common name though. I mean obviously most common among South Asians. But its a real name.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:07 pm

That's interesting to know!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Both spellings, ha ha.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Shandar and Chandar both look and sound like decent names to me but perhaps that's because I have no fictional/fandom connotations associated with either.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:22 pm

gannetguts wrote:One of my friend's named her child Zorran. I've never heard it before and never heard it since, so I presume she made it up. It suits the kid, though! Once, my best friend and I (another "odd" name -- Lynell, again, never heard of it before), were at a restaurant and the waiter's name was Thor. He was even tall, blonde and muscly. I couldn't stop giggling.

I went to school with a Zoran, I'm facebook friends with him now. I can't remember precisely where he's from originally but it may have been Bosnia-Herzegovina.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:34 am

That's probably right. I have an Aunt Zora who lives nearby in Slovenia.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 am

Oh, well, that's probably where she got it! I've never heard it before; interesting.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:10 am

Jessica Simpson expecting again, according to US Weekly. Maxwell was born in May. Wow. If this is true, she's going to be busy.

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:59 am

I choose not to believe it. Because that's exhausting, and she just went through all that stuff with her baby weight gain and the criticism and losing weight and - well, if she is pregnant, congratulations for her and I hope it goes well. But as a new mother myself, I shudder.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next